Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where's OU Going Now?

Started by RyeHogFan, September 03, 2011, 07:21:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RyeHogFan

HoggySTruman

2FNFST4U

Pac 12. They want to be with better academic schools. Outside of Vandy the SEC could careless about academics. The same reason getting UNC or Duke from the ACC would be hard. Now WVU would be a perfect match for LSU as anyone can get in to both.

PositronHog

Quote from: 2FNFST4U on September 03, 2011, 07:37:04 am
Pac 12. They want to be with better academic schools. Outside of Vandy the SEC could careless about academics. The same reason getting UNC or Duke from the ACC would be hard. Now WVU would be a perfect match for LSU as anyone can get in to both.
Have you ever been to Oklahoma? This seems to be the last grasp for SEC haters!!! You really think OU is more prestigious than UA, Georgia, South Carolina, etc. Whatever!! >:(

tsgtred

i just did a distance comparison,  I added mizzu, osu, ok, and am along with ark, lsu, ol miss, and msu.  the average distance from norman is 422 miles, with msu the longest at 644.  i then added osu and ou to the pac 12 south,  the average distance is 950 witht the la schools the longest at 1350.  will ou be able to have the fan following that they now have?   even the other divisions that you would have to play occasionally is closer in the sec.

Choctaw Hog

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will look like turds in a punch bowl being in the same conference as the liberal leftists institutions of the Pac 10.  I really hope OU ends up in the PAC 12 because that will just benefit the Hogs. 

online-with-swine

I'm torn if OU would be good for the SEC but bad for Arkansas when it comes to recruiting.  They, along with Texas, already divy up the best in Texas with AM third and so on.  If they come to the SEC then I really don't think much would change.  However, if they go to the PAC then we may be able to get a better foothold in Texas recruiting.

These are interesting times in college athletics that much is certain.

EastexHawg

Pac 12. They want to be with better academic schools avoid the SEC at all costs.  A conference schedule that includes Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi State, and South Carolina actually makes them wet the bed at night.  Just like their daddy, UT.

Fixed it for ya.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 03, 2011, 08:34:02 am
Fixed it for ya.

And that is the truth with regard to Pres. Boren and AD Castiglione and maybe Bob Stoops as well (he has had a taste of the SEC when he was the DC at Florida). Problem is, the fans and donors (that I have spoken with anyway) want to go to the SEC because they don't feel they have anything at all in common with the west coast schools.

I think they are right. Some may think that they don't have anything in common with the SEC, but they share more tradition and heritage (from a regional standpoint) with the SEC than they ever will with the Pac 12. And, the majority of OU fans I have talked about have already said that if OU goes to the Pac 12, they will be attending a lot fewer away games. That isn't good news for OU.
Go Hogs Go!

dr_arkansawyer

We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done.

Theodore Roosevelt
1858-1919, Twenty-sixth President of the USA

woopigsooie1222

all i know is that someone passes a legislature that makes OU and OSU have to go together
The South Will Rise Again!

Dominicanhog

September 03, 2011, 08:52:16 am #11 Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:53:37 am by Dominicanhog
IMO, the big 9 becomes the big 12 or 14.  They will add as many as 6 from this group.  Houston, TCU, BYU, UTah, Utah State, Arizona, ASU, New Mexico, New Mexico State.

They may have a different FB and BB roster of teams.

They'll do an alliance with the Pac12 which will be the future of television contract.

online-with-swine

OU in the Pac would be about the most fan unfriendly place for OU that they can get.  OU's brass would have to buck fan desore to go to the PAC which is never a good thing to do (see the end of the HDN era at Arkansas)

Hoggle

Splitting off Texas, Texas Tech, OU and OSU to the PAC Whatever might bust open Texas recruiting for the Hogs like ripping apart a bag of candy - especially with A&M bringing the state of TX into the SEC. We might look a bit more like Oklahoma  in a good way.

Hogaliciousness

September 03, 2011, 09:01:19 am #14 Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:04:29 am by Hogaliciousness
They are scared to get into a bruising conference like the SEC.  Their fans - don't get me started.  I hope they stick to the Titanic known as the Big 8.5 or whatever they are at now. 

What they want is what Texas wants - an easy road to big bowl games and/or NC.   

As an aside, these conference shifts will be looked back on as groundbreaking and WILL absolutely change the future of college sports (not just football!).   Glad we are where we are - even though it is the most unfriendly water in sports. :razorback:
I am ready for some football!

NWASooner

They're headed West.

Although, if they came to the SEC along with Okie State, Missouri, and A&M, the West gets infinitely easier assuming Bama and Auburn move East.

online-with-swine

Quote from: NWASooner on September 03, 2011, 09:05:53 am
They're headed West.

Although, if they came to the SEC along with Okie State, Missouri, and A&M, the West gets infinitely easier assuming Bama and Auburn move East.

I look at OU and Bama as a wash.  The big plus would be getting those cheaters on the plains of west Georgia(Auburn) out of our division.

NWASooner

Quote from: KnilesKankle on September 03, 2011, 09:09:03 am
I look at OU and Bama as a wash.  The big plus would be getting those cheaters on the plains of west Georgia(Auburn) out of our division.

You're right, but you're basically getting rid of Auburn and adding Missouri and Okie State.  (You're also going from 8 conference games to 9.)  The only schools in the new West that would give Arkansas trouble 8 years out of 10 would be LSU and Oklahoma.

10thPlanet

Take it from someone that has OU on his transcript, that's some funny ish right there.

NWASooner

What gets me is the belief that the Pac-12 is filled with academic heavyweights.  All of the California schools are top notch but goes downhill very fast after that.  The two 'Zona schools are filled with people from California who couldn't get into school there.

scottagee

Yeah this would be the only way I would want them.

Quote from: NWASooner on September 03, 2011, 09:05:53 am
They're headed West.

3BoarsDown

rzrbackrob

September 03, 2011, 10:11:37 am #22 Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:16:17 am by rzrbackrob
My reading other boards draws me to these conclusions:

TA&M wants to go to SEC no matter what any other team in the Big 12 does.

Oklahoma has a tough choice: (OSU is joined at the hip by politics and T Boone)

Big 10 is not interested (not good fit)

PAC 12 interested, but west coast two time zones away which is why OU would want to take as many teams as possible with them. Texass, Texas Tech, OSU, with Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, and Colorado would make the eastern division. Texass LHN would have to fold into the Pac 12 and share the wealth (not really their style).
+ lesser competition, Stoops would love to have access to southern California

SEC would be without Texass. Sips claim it would be about academics, but we all know they do not want any part of SEC competition. The SEC west would be Ark, LSU, TA&M, OU, OSU, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Miss St. Bama and Allbarn to the east.

Lets get this straight- Oklahoma is not an upper echelon academic school.
"Academics" is code word for "the SEC is way too hard"
When you hear Oklahoma admins talking about "academics" this is a tell that OU is heading west.
Good is the enemy of great

Lake City Hog

The academics thing is total BS! According to US news rankings of "Best" colleges OU is #111, while there are several SEC schools ranked WELL above that, there are some in that same range. Arkansas is #132, Alabama is #79, Auburn is #85 and Tennessee is #104.On the other hand Vanderbilt is #17, Florida is #53 and Georgia is #56, quite a bit in front of OU.

OU wants to maintain their same "business model" of the last 100 years, be a part of a conference that presents them with only 1 or 2 tough games each season. This model (Big 8) has served them well for a very long time, play Nebraska every year for the conference championship and play Texas for prestige and recruiting. Then they formed the Big 12 and their 2nd tough game (Texas) was now a conference game, so the "model" stayed the same.

This is exactly what they want to accomplish with the Pac12 East, breeze thru their division, play tough game #1 OOC against independent Texas and tough game #2 in the Pac 16 championship game.

online-with-swine

It's apparent that OU's colors are really 2 shades of yellow.

FSguy38

Quote from: rzrbackrob on September 03, 2011, 10:11:37 am

PAC 12 interested, but west coast two time zones away which is why OU would want to take as many teams as possible with them. Texass, Texas Tech, OSU, with Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, and Colorado would make the eastern division. Texass LHN would have to fold into the Pac 12 and share the wealth (not really their style).

SEC would be without Texass. Sips claim it would be about academics, but we all know they do not want any part of SEC competition. The SEC west would be Ark, LSU, TA&M, OU, OSU, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Miss St. Bama and Allbarn to the east.

When you hear Oklahoma admins talking about "academics" this is a tell that OU is heading west.

OU has always been heading west. OU was always a proponent of expanding west when there was talk of expanding to 16 before the Big 12 started to fall apart (which was long before Colorado and Nebraska bolted -- the Big 12 commish Dan Beebe has been a disaster).
The only way they wouldn't head west is if the Big 10 would have them, which isn't going to happen.

the 1 and only

Quote from: KnilesKankle on September 03, 2011, 10:32:41 am
It's apparent that OU's colors are really 2 shades of yellow.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This
molon Labe

Use your rights before you lose them

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FSguy38 on September 03, 2011, 10:41:18 am
OU has always been heading west. OU was always a proponent of expanding west when there was talk of expanding to 16 before the Big 12 started to fall apart (which was long before Colorado and Nebraska bolted -- the Big 12 commish Dan Beebe has been a disaster).
The only way they wouldn't head west is if the Big 10 would have them, which isn't going to happen.

I disagree.
Go Hogs Go!

online-with-swine

I think it is either Big9, SEC or Pac for OU.  I just don't see the BiG10 inviting them.

OU won't come to the SEC b/c they are chicken so by default it is stay where they are or go west.  It's a coin flip at this time, imo.

CoachHogT

1) TAM talks to SEC about joining
2) SEC turns down TAM
3) All of a sudden, TAM notifies Big 12 they are leaving
4) Now SEC is going to reconsider
5) OU immediately talks about leaving

It is only my opinion, the timing of the reconsider by the SEC and the announcement of OU, TAM and Oklahoma are coming to the SEC. Probably already a done deal. Again, this is only my guess.

online-with-swine

I don't think the SEC ever said no to AM.  From what I understand, the SEC told AM take care of getting out of the Big12 first then we will vote you in.  It was all legal maneuvering on the SEC's and AM's part.

FSguy38

Quote from: KnilesKankle on September 03, 2011, 10:59:38 am
I don't think the SEC ever said no to AM.  From what I understand, the SEC told AM take care of getting out of the Big12 first then we will vote you in.  It was all legal maneuvering on the SEC's and AM's part.

Definitely

dooley

September 03, 2011, 11:01:56 am #32 Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:34:46 am by dooley
OU's going wherever they want short of the Big 10, which is what they really want, and subject to conditions.  That sounds like the Pac 12.

Honestly, I think the old guard of the Pac 12-16 would really like that.  Many of them never liked adding AZ and AZ State in the first place.  By going to a Southwest and Coastal division, the old Pac 8 could reemerge.

Not sure why we're worried about OU on a Razorback message board, though.

FSguy38

Quote from: CoachHogT on September 03, 2011, 10:53:19 am
2) SEC turns down TAM

It is only my opinion, the timing of the reconsider by the SEC and the announcement of OU, TAM and Oklahoma are coming to the SEC. Probably already a done deal. Again, this is only my guess.

As an OU fan, I prefer the Sooners go to the SEC. But I wonder if the SEC schools are willing to take OSU to get OU.

RAF

I think it's cute that the Sooners are trying to pretend that they're not Texas' lap dog.  Sounds like the writing's on the wall that Bevo has already walked out on them and they're trying to look "proactive".

FSguy38

Quote from: dxf04 on September 03, 2011, 11:02:32 am
I think it's cute that the Sooners are trying to pretend that they're not Texas' lap dog.  Sounds like the writing's on the wall that Bevo has already walked out on them and they're trying to look "proactive".

UT will go to a conference (likely the PAC12) before they go independent, especially if things move quickly.
I think people in the media and on message boards believe Texas is closer to being ready to operate as an independent than they are.
And when the Big 12 implodes and at least the SEC, PAC12 and Big 10 expand to 16 teams, its only going to make it more difficult for an independent to make it to the BCSCG.

NWASooner

What fascinates me about this is no one has any idea how this is going to end up.  It could still break any number of ways.  Keep in mind A&M hasn't gone anywhere yet.  When Nebraska served the Big 12 it's divorce papers, they were part of the Big 10 within days.  What's the hold up with the SEC and A&M?  Trying to find a suitable 14th?  Trying to line up the money?  Who knows?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: CoachHogT on September 03, 2011, 10:53:19 am
2) SEC turns down TAM

The SEC never turned A&M down. They couldn't extend an invitation until A&M had already left the Big 12 for legal reasons. There wasn't any "reconsideration" by the SEC, they just had to wait for A&M to take care of business and A&M would never have notified the Big 12 that they were leaving if a handshake agreement wasn't already in place for them to land in somewhere and that somewhere is likely the SEC.
Go Hogs Go!

NWASooner

When is the SEC going to vote on A&M?  That's a serious question.  Does anyone know?

online-with-swine

Tuesday or Monday followed by a presser at 4.

online-with-swine

The 4 o'clock presser is BS but i have read rumors of Monday or Tuesday.

EastTexasHog

OU attempting to piece together the Big 12 and waiting on BYU to answer.  OU really wants Big 12 to stay together - it is much easier for them (less competition) and on them (better than too much travel).  They will work harder than anyone to keep Big 12 together.

FSguy38

Quote from: EastTexasHog on September 03, 2011, 11:26:37 am
OU attempting to piece together the Big 12 and waiting on BYU to answer.  OU really wants Big 12 to stay together - it is much easier for them (less competition) and on them (better than too much travel).  They will work harder than anyone to keep Big 12 together.

Texas wants the Big 12 to stay together more than anyone (at least for two or three more years) if they really have delusions of grandeur about being an independent.

dooley

Quote from: FSguy38 on September 03, 2011, 11:33:49 am
Texas wants the Big 12 to stay together more than anyone (at least for two or three more years) if they really have delusions of grandeur about being an independent.

Just my opinion, but I don't see that UT's going indy any time soon.  I think they were overly ambitious in their expectations of how the LHN would be received both inside and outside of Texas.  It's one thing to watch Texas games, it's a whole other thing to pay for it particularly.  Also, going indy means that Texas would have a really crappy schedule that no one would want to see - especially if they dump the aTm game like a little girl would do after not getting her way.

GuvHog

Quote from: NWASooner on September 03, 2011, 11:09:24 am
What fascinates me about this is no one has any idea how this is going to end up.  It could still break any number of ways.  Keep in mind A&M hasn't gone anywhere yet.  When Nebraska served the Big 12 it's divorce papers, they were part of the Big 10 within days.  What's the hold up with the SEC and A&M?  Trying to find a suitable 14th?  Trying to line up the money?  Who knows?

The Hold up is A&M crossing and dotting it's legal T's and I's, paying an agreed on exit fee, and making a complete, legal break form the Big 12 before officially requesting membership in the SEC. The SEC's granting A&M's request is only a formality.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: EastTexasHog on September 03, 2011, 11:26:37 am

I agree with this.

#1 Choice:   
Keep the Big 12 together and add BYU then go after other teams to rebuild to 12 teams.

#2 A&B Choice:   
#2A-For the Pres, AD and HC at OU, go to the Pac 12 carrying with them OSU, Texas Tech and a team to be named later.
#2B-For fans and the donors, move to the SEC West along with A&M, OSU and Missouri.

#3 Choice: Take a major league size dump because you are under pressure and have only two basic choices of where to go. One ticks off the fans, the other eliminates your nearly annual run at a BCS Bowl.     
Go Hogs Go!

kaiserhog

OU, TT, OSU, and Tex to Pac means recruiting in Texas really opens up for Ark.,TAMU, and LSU.

FSguy38

If what the Houston Chronicle reported late last night is accurate, the picture could get muddled.

http://www.alongtheolentangy.com/2011/9/2/2401836/houston-we-have-no-tech-problem

But the problem I see with that scenario is, I doubt the PAC12 takes TTech without Texas.

Hornkiller

Bu.Sh.... When a guy like Boren who has gotten admissions standards raised, raised millions for academic programs and got OU to a play where they have the highest per capita of national merit scholars say it's about the academics...it's about the academics. Boren knows the tail wags the dog when it comes to athletics but he isn't using academics as a smoke screen because he's scared that OU would take a hit in the record book if they went to the SEC. For him the SEC isn't about Wins or losses...it's about the money.

To us this is all about football... but to the Presidents of these Universities they have to think about all aspects, not just athletics. It's pretty funny that there are some posters who couldn't find the UoA library if they were standing inside it thumping their chest about how a guy who was almost America's Secretary of defense is sitting in an Ivory Tower somewhere going "oh no... not the SEC...."

Hawgin84

I'm glad you posted this. I am so tired of hearing that academic horse hockey!