Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OFFICIAL post your picks thread (sports investing)

Started by WILL CLINTON, August 28, 2011, 09:41:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: Supermark101 on September 28, 2014, 01:04:37 am
Especially early in the year. I bet money line parlays early in the season. Mix in one LSU/Wisconsin type game and the payout increases greatly. I've won 5 of 6 weeks the last two years.  Turned 300 into just under 3000, in week 2, this year. That is by far the best I've done, thank you Oregon.

I started using a site, this year, that lets me bet FCS/FBS games. I made a killing on those.  Might not be the "smart" play, but it works for me.

Hey whatever makes you money!
Let's make some waves.

Steelers -7 bought the hook / 5 units
Philly +4.5 / 5 units
Atlanta -3 / 5 units

Let's make some waves.

SPAL

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 28, 2014, 08:49:00 am
Not a Sunday unless Jeff is on the steelers.

Have only played them once so far this year I think.

But I either bet on them or leave them alone entirely!
Let's make some waves.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 28, 2014, 08:29:55 am
Steelers -7 bought the hook / 5 units
Philly +4.5 / 5 units
Atlanta -3 / 5 units

This, except ATL -5 on my site.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

yraciv

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 28, 2014, 10:55:11 am
This, except ATL -5 on my site.

Do you ever get tired of tailing Jeff's picks?  I know making money is nice, but you've got to have some of your own opinions.

McKdaddy

Quote from: yraciv on September 28, 2014, 11:27:30 am
Do you ever get tired of tailing Jeff's picks?  I know making money is nice, but you've got to have some of your own opinions.

Good question, Y. I don't play for the coin b/c I don't have the balls for it frankly -- my bet units are only $10. On average I post 1-2 picks a week that are mine, but they are usually losing bets. My win % on my own bets is south of 43%, so prior to the '13 season I asked Jeff he would mind my tailing his picks. Last year I continued to make a lot of my own picks in addition to tailing his -- my picks sucked and his generally did better. So in '14 I cut back on my own picks -- to 1-2 per week, generally -- and let Jeff's picks work my win % better.

SPAL

September 28, 2014, 02:11:29 pm #7407 Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 02:23:00 pm by sir-pigs-a-lot
Quote from: McKdaddy on September 28, 2014, 12:44:21 pm
Good question, Y. I don't play for the coin b/c I don't have the balls for it frankly -- my bet units are only $10. On average I post 1-2 picks a week that are mine, but they are usually losing bets. My win % on my own bets is south of 43%, so prior to the '13 season I asked Jeff he would mind my tailing his picks. Last year I continued to make a lot of my own picks in addition to tailing his -- my picks sucked and his generally did better. So in '14 I cut back on my own picks -- to 1-2 per week, generally -- and let Jeff's picks work my win % better.

I honestly do not have a dog in this fight, but I will offer my 2 pennies if you don't mind.

I started out hitting about 45% also,  but I worked through a lot of bad advice, bad systems, bad everything. I'm nowhere bear a pro, but I hit better than I ever have and I owe it to that I've kinda fought through my growing pains.

Since you are only messing with 10 dollar bets, are you using your own picks to become a better bettor while tailing Jeff to help hedge, so to speak? If that's the case, it makes a lot of sense to me. . I'm not sure how many of us use sports investing for what it is or if its just something to add a little excitement.

For me, I use it as a second income, and a residual one at that. I work weekend doubles at a hospital  to pay the bills and work m-f at this. . I try to be at my best, but I'm constantly tweaking things and learning new things. .

Its not a bad gig if you treat it like a job.

McKdaddy

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 28, 2014, 02:11:29 pm
I honestly do not have a dog in this fight, but I will offer my 2 pennies if you don't mind.

I started out hitting about 45% also,  but I worked through a lot of bad advice, bad systems, bad everything. I'm nowhere bear a pro, but I hit better than I ever have and I owe it to that I've kinda fought through my growing pains.

Since you are only messing with 10 dollar bets, are you using your own picks to become a better bettor while tailing Jeff to help hedge, so to speak? If that's the case, it makes a lot of sense to me. . I'm not sure how many of us use sports investing for what it is or if its just something to add a little excitement.

For me, I use it as a second income, and a residual one at that. I work weekend doubles at a hospital  to pay the bills and work m-f at this. . I try to be at my best, but I'm constantly tweaking things and learning new things. .

Its not a bad gig if you treat it like a job.

I'd characterize my betting, Sir Pigs, as adding a bit of excitement to a sport I'm already head-over-heels about.

Trailing Jeff's picks has been interesting in seeing how they differ from mine...be it teams I'm missing the value on or when I like team X in a game but he picks team Y. In the latter instance I'll go w/ his preference. But there have been times when I've made picks early in the week, only to have Jeff go the opposite on a team I made my mind up on, which then leads me to make 2 bets on the same team -- one for and against, ha.

I make a healthy income as an investment advisor, which is a form of gambling I suppose, but it's something I'm good at with a very healthy track record (i.e.  my client's accounts). I'm confident investing money for my clients long-term future. But sports gambling isn't something I've done well consistently and don't have the cajones to make large bets, even utilizing Jeff's picks. I'm just not comfortable doing so. I think it is awesome those of you that gamble well enough to supplement your other income, or if this is your primary income...quite impressive. +1 to you.

McKdaddy

"You using your own picks to become a better bettor while tailing Jeff to help hedge, so to speak?"

This sums it up as well.

SPAL

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 28, 2014, 03:11:14 pm
I'd characterize my betting, Sir Pigs, as adding a bit of excitement to a sport I'm already head-over-heels about.

Trailing Jeff's picks has been interesting in seeing how they differ from mine...be it teams I'm missing the value on or when I like team X in a game but he picks team Y. In the latter instance I'll go w/ his preference. But there have been times when I've made picks early in the week, only to have Jeff go the opposite on a team I made my mind up on, which then leads me to make 2 bets on the same team -- one for and against, ha.

I make a healthy income as an investment advisor, which is a form of gambling I suppose, but it's something I'm good at with a very healthy track record (i.e.  my client's accounts). I'm confident investing money for my clients long-term future. But sports gambling isn't something I've done well consistently and don't have the cajones to make large bets, even utilizing Jeff's picks. I'm just not comfortable doing so. I think it is awesome those of you that gamble well enough to supplement your other income, or if this is your primary income...quite impressive. +1 to you.

I feel you man.... Nursing pays the bills for me. I started out just making the games more exciting, then I started seeing a possibility for extra income. . I started out just like you, I even bought picks to tail just so I could figure it out. Its fun either way.

SPAL

Alert the press...

I've had a perfect day in the NFL. 2 easy wins....

Melorock089

Heh, today is exactly why I don't bet on Pro FB.

StuartDavin

I wanted so badly to bet the Falcons today. Something just seems off with that line though.

yraciv

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 28, 2014, 12:44:21 pm

Cool! I certainly understand the excitement angle,which is why I got started.  Just was curious because I take a lot more pride when I pick winners over tailing guys, but then again if I was hitting at 43% I'd probably start tailing people as well.

onebadrubi

WTH JUST HAPPENED TO THE STEELERS!?  I was away from civilization till just now.  That hurt!

Unreal. They found every way possible to f up that game!
Let's make some waves.

McKdaddy

Quote from: yraciv on September 28, 2014, 03:38:03 pm
if I was hitting at 43% I'd probably start tailing people as well.

+1 (if I could)

jkstock04

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 27, 2014, 12:49:57 am
Eleven plays on my card for tomorrow:

Baylor -21....4 unit bet  PUSH

Duke +7....4 unit bet  L

Kentucky -17....2 unit bet  L

Mississippi -19....2 unit bet  W

Syracuse +10....2 unit bet  L

NC State +19....2 unit bet  W

Mizzou +6....2 unit bet  W

Temple vs Uconn, under 45....2 unit bet  L

Florida St vs NC State, over 59.5....2 unit bet  W

Maryland vs Indiana, over 70...2 unit bet  L

(adding) Boston College -8.5...2 unit bet  L

Good luck everyone.

Went 4-6-1 on the day on my picks and negative 6 units on the day.

Not good but could've been worse like today. I didn't post my NFL picks today but am getting absolutely crushed as in 0-fer lol. Thinking of betting the night game big to stop the bleeding but I know chasing is a big no no...need to let her go for the weekend and regroup.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

yraciv

I'm taking the Saints - 3 tonight.  Usually just stick to college, but I see a lot of value in that Saints offense against that beat up, pitiful, Cowboy's defense.

Dropkick

Betting over 53 on Saints@Cowboys tonight but only 1 unit. Just want something to keep me interested, not a real fan of either team.

SPAL

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 27, 2014, 07:29:17 am
Kentucky -17       4 units.   L
Maryland +4        2 units.   W
BGSU -5                2 units.   P

SPAL

Let's make some waves.

SPAL

onebadrubi

Looks like I'm gonna be some serious trouble after the SNF game.  This is an amoloy Dallas team, and the saints just aren't the same saints anymore.  I stacked up on this game too.  Bad idea

SPAL

SPAL

Adding up my record, I realized I'm 4-0 in the NFL the last 2 Sundays.

widespreadsooie

Lines of interest for next week:

Cuse +3.5 vs. LOU (Fri. night)
ECU -38 vs. SMU
TN +1 vs. FL
WF +38 @ FSU
WIS -10 @ NW
BAY -14.5 @ TX
RUT -3.5 vs. MIC
KY +7 vs. SC
COL St. -14.5 vs. Tulsa
Stanford -1 @ ND
MI St. -9.5 vs. NEB

Obviously, quite a bit I like going into the week. I'll need help trimming this down for anyone with insight on the listed games.

onebadrubi

Quote from: widespreadsooie on September 28, 2014, 10:52:09 pm
Line of interest for next week:

ECU -38 vs. SMU
TN +1 vs. FL
WF +38 @ FSU
WIS -10 @ NW
BAY -14.5 @ TX
RUT -3.5 vs. MIC
KY +7 vs. SC
COL St. -14.5 vs. Tulsa
Stanford -1 @ ND
MI St. -9.5 vs. NEB

Obviously, quite a bit I like going into the week. I'll need help trimming this down for anyone with insight on the listed games.

Out of those id probably only touch Baylor game, and bet big on Baylor and buy it down to -13.5.  But what do I know.  I bet heavy on steelers and saints today. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 28, 2014, 08:31:58 pm
Adding up my record, I realized I'm 4-0 in the NFL the last 2 Sundays.

When's the next MLB pick comin? 

SPAL

SPAL

jkstock04

Quote from: widespreadsooie on September 28, 2014, 10:52:09 pm
Lines of interest for next week:

ECU -38 vs. SMU
TN +1 vs. FL
WF +38 @ FSU
WIS -10 @ NW
BAY -14.5 @ TX
RUT -3.5 vs. MIC
KY +7 vs. SC
COL St. -14.5 vs. Tulsa
Stanford -1 @ ND
MI St. -9.5 vs. NEB

Haven't made any bets yet but will prob be all over Tennessee. They get Florida at home and I don't believe in a damn thing Muschamp is doing there lol.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hope I don't jinx you Sir pigs, but I'm on the pats for a dime tonight -2
Let's make some waves.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 29, 2014, 04:19:22 pm
Haven't made any bets yet but will prob be all over Tennessee. They get Florida at home and I don't believe in a damn thing Muschamp is doing there lol.

I agree with you on Muschamp, TN might be my favorite play out of em all. Already moved to TN -1.5.

SPAL

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 29, 2014, 04:24:23 pm
Hope I don't jinx you Sir pigs, but I'm on the pats for a dime tonight -2

I like it... Looks like all the touts are pimping KC. Hoping for a pats romp with lots of points. Gonna be a good night

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 29, 2014, 05:22:18 pm
I like it... Looks like all the touts are pimping KC. Hoping for a pats romp with lots of points. Gonna be a good night

Agreed. Vegas pays a lot of those touts. This one should be easy!
Let's make some waves.

McKdaddy

Let's make some waves.

Hawgndaaz

Went 0-3 in NFL yesterday, on the pats as well tonight.

I was smoking hot in college action Saturday, then lost tons on South Carolina. Fading them into eternity going forward.

onebadrubi

Well I'll let y'all know the Hogville curse is infact OFF!  So someone will be happy.  I'm like hawg, I did so well on Saturday then lost it all on sunday.  Hoping to get some back tonight

onebadrubi

Y'all can pay me juice too for braking the curse!

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 29, 2014, 06:33:11 pm
Well I'll let y'all know the Hogville curse is infact OFF!  So someone will be happy.  I'm like hawg, I did so well on Saturday then lost it all on sunday.  Hoping to get some back tonight

Hogville curse is usually on Thursday night games fwiw. I think it's because there are usually only 1 or 2 and we all talk each other into taking the same side :(

Dropkick

I got the under (45) tonight. Not looking good.

scottagee

Bama is going to roll Ole Miss big Saturday. The line will continue to go up. I got mine last night.

Let's make some waves.

SPAL

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 29, 2014, 11:40:52 pm
Lol WTH was that from New England!

No line, no WR's, nothing to assist Brady.  He can be all world yet amendola, lafelle, and edlman are all 3rd and 4th best options. 

SPAL