Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OFFICIAL post your picks thread (sports investing)

Started by WILL CLINTON, August 28, 2011, 09:41:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.

Hawgndaaz

You guys ever have friends ask to bet for them? i've had two of my married buds ask in the past week if they could put money on a game through me.

good or bad idea?

widespreadsooie

Quote from: razorback1 on October 31, 2012, 04:27:04 pm
I think I've solidified my picks for Saturday:

UF -17
Wake -3.5
Indiana -1.5
Bama -9.5
K State -9.5

I know they're all favorites, but I prefer making up points with the better team (usually) than trying to hang on to 'em with the lesser of the two.

My picks have changed:

UF -17
A&M -7
OM +14
Bama -8
K State -8.5

It's normally a good thing for me if I find this many SEC games I like.

Hawgndaaz

Kent State -20.5
Clemson -13
Vandy -7
A&M -7
Oregon -7

Looking at
Michigan -12
arkansas state -4

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on November 02, 2012, 08:47:46 am
You guys ever have friends ask to bet for them? i've had two of my married buds ask in the past week if they could put money on a game through me.

good or bad idea?

Always a bad idea.  Even worse if they win.  Creates a monster.  They will start pestering the poop out of you.

If you do it anyway always money upfront including the juice.
Let's make some waves.

widespreadsooie

SPAL

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on November 02, 2012, 11:21:04 am

Always a bad idea.  Even worse if they win.  Creates a monster.  They will start pestering the poop out of you.

If you do it anyway always money upfront including the juice.

I agree. Make them man up and set up an account with a local or offshore. If they wanna tail your picks , that's one thing but don't make the bet for them.

Hawgndaaz

thats what I thought. I had a guy throw 50 at me before MNF a few weeks ago. He was sitting at my table so I agreed. We both won the bet so I just paid him right there and was done with it.

This dude wants to bet reeeaal bad but doesn't want the Mrs. to know.

SPAL

November 02, 2012, 05:54:27 pm #1758 Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:39:25 pm by sir-pigs-a-lot
Washington +4    4 units....W

arkirish

Love Oregon this weekend...think they win by at least 16

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on November 02, 2012, 11:56:35 am
thats what I thought. I had a guy throw 50 at me before MNF a few weeks ago. He was sitting at my table so I agreed. We both won the bet so I just paid him right there and was done with it.

This dude wants to bet reeeaal bad but doesn't want the Mrs. to know.

Then definitely no.  The time will come where he calls and says hey man play this for me.  He loses either gets the cash and wife finds out ( believe me your name will come up and will somehow be your fault like you lost money and he loaned you some)

Just back away.  Or tell him to hand you 5 hundo or a grand and he can play anyway he wants till it is gone.  Also charge him an extra 10% juice on losses for your trouble.  Or if he makes a bet the opposite way you were gonna bet it just take the action yourself and don't say anything.  If he wins you pay him what he won. 10% less than had you made your bet the other way and lost.  If he loses you pocket the cash plus the 10% juice.  Key is cash upfront unless you know for sure he will pay.

Lol I pretty much know most of the angles my man.
Let's make some waves.

SPAL

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on November 02, 2012, 08:20:58 pm
Then definitely no.  The time will come where he calls and says hey man play this for me.  He loses either gets the cash and wife finds out ( believe me your name will come up and will somehow be your fault like you lost money and he loaned you some)

Just back away.  Or tell him to hand you 5 hundo or a grand and he can play anyway he wants till it is gone.  Also charge him an extra 10% juice on losses for your trouble.  Or if he makes a bet the opposite way you were gonna bet it just take the action yourself and don't say anything.  If he wins you pay him what he won. 10% less than had you made your bet the other way and lost.  If he loses you pocket the cash plus the 10% juice.  Key is cash upfront unless you know for sure he will pay.

Lol I pretty much know most of the angles my man.

Remind me never to try and jack with thisvguy

yraciv

November 03, 2012, 08:59:49 am #1762 Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:08:44 pm by yraciv
YTD: 49-35-1, +16.5 units
4 units
Oregon -8 W
K State -8 W

2 units
Arizona St +3.5 L
Arkansas St -4 W
Giants -3 L

1 unit
SMU +10 L
Baylor -16.5  W
G Tech -8  W

Let's make some waves.

SPAL

November 03, 2012, 10:39:32 am #1764 Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:58:30 pm by sir-pigs-a-lot
Big card today....

San Jose st. -20    5 units........W
Ohio st. -27.         4 units........W
Bama -8.              3 units........L
Mich st pk.            3 units........L (hosed)
Oregon -8.            3 units.......W
Tx tech -6.            1 unit.........L
Wake -3.              1 unit.........W
Ga tech -6.           1 unit.........W

YTD RECORD 62-45

WILL CLINTON

There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

la20688

November 03, 2012, 01:46:07 pm #1766 Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 05:06:47 pm by la20688
Pitt +17
Org -_8 1/2
W Vir -4
LSU + 9

Add "Game on Dude" in Breeders Classic although he won't pay much, so play "Mucho Macho Man" as a longshot.

Let's make some waves.

Quote from: la20688 on November 03, 2012, 01:46:07 pm
Pitt +17
Org -_8 1/2
W Vir -4
LSU + 9

Add "Game on Dude" in Breeders Classic although he won't pay much, so play "Mucho Macho Man" as a longshot.

Seriously!
Let's make some waves.

SPAL

Yraciv is having some kind of year. Congrats man

WILL CLINTON

good day so far, just hoping Kansas St can keep it together so my parlay hits.

SPAL

Looks like everybody has had a good day. I'd like to see somebody run the totals of everybody that posted plays. I may do it if I get a chance.

yraciv

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 03, 2012, 09:12:33 pm
Yraciv is having some kind of year. Congrats man

Thanks! Record has been solid all year, but unit production could have been better. Today was the breakout I was looking for.

Cleveland +3.5 / 2 units
Buffalo +10.5 / 3 units
Washington -3 / 3 units
Steelers +3 / 5 units
Let's make some waves.

DadVader1

Went 2-4 on the weekend for -14, bringing me back down to even for the season (so down by the juice). I just knew Mettenberger would get rattled & Bama would cover. Plus, friggin turnovers killed them.

SPAL

Quote from: DadVader1 on November 04, 2012, 09:37:03 am
Went 2-4 on the weekend for -14, bringing me back down to even for the season (so down by the juice). I just knew Mettenberger would get rattled & Bama would cover. Plus, friggin turnovers killed them.

Bama failed to cover.

SPAL

November 04, 2012, 09:41:28 am #1776 Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:19:52 pm by sir-pigs-a-lot
The unpredictable nfl....

Lions -6.      4 units........W
Bears -4.     3 units .......W

SPAL

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on November 04, 2012, 08:16:18 am
Cleveland +3.5 / 2 units
Buffalo +10.5 / 3 units
Washington -3 / 3 units
Steelers +3 / 5 units

Wouldn't be a Sunday afternoon if u weren't on the steelers...:)

la20688

Cincy +5.5 (going against public perception)
Panthers +3.5 (fading the Redskins, who played the Steelers last week)
Ravens  -4
Steelers +4
Cowboys +4

Quote from: la20688 on November 04, 2012, 11:08:52 am
Cincy +5.5 (going against public perception)
Panthers +3.5 (fading the Redskins, who played the Steelers last week)
Ravens  -4
Steelers +4
Cowboys +4
Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 04, 2012, 09:42:28 am
Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 04, 2012, 09:42:28 am

Lol I either bet on them or not at all!
Let's make some waves.

Hooch

I had a big day yesterday but didn't post went up 4 units with K state and Oregon but I will post my record at 8-10-1 since I didn't post. 

I have a 3 team teaser today

Baltimore+6
Houston -1
Green Bay -1

and
5 team parlay $15 first half lines

Denver -3
Green Bay -7
Baltimore -3
houston -7
Carlona +2.5

SPAL

November 04, 2012, 03:07:08 pm #1781 Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:20:25 pm by sir-pigs-a-lot
Adding...

Steelers +4      2 units.......W

yraciv

WILL CLINTON

November 04, 2012, 08:08:52 pm #1783 Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:13:13 pm by WILL CLINTON
Very good weekend

Oregon -8....5*
Kansas St -8.5....3*
Ar St -4....2*

2012-2013 CFB
Record 41-31-1 (56%) Profit $5796 Bankroll $7796 ROI 290%

I did have a couple of bets that I didn't post on here, one was a parlay for the above 3 that hit and paid $1200 on a $200 bet, and I lost Arizona +3....1*. I didn't post the parlay because I don't count it in my totals, and I didn't list the Zona play because I didn't have time to post it before the game, and didn't remember to post it till about midnight last night.

Theres a chance for it to be a monster year if the last 2 months shake out.

Also, Louisville -3 may be another 5*, but for now I'm locking it in at

Louisville -3....3*

Not a whole lot to look at this weekend.

Thank goodness I am posting now. Atlanta -/ 3 units. Cows leading mind you
Let's make some waves.

Let's make some waves.

McKdaddy

I've gotten lazy posting my picks. But you guys know me and my year-after-year mediocrity. I'm not fooling anyone, ha.

The cfb picks I posted on Friday for Saturday's action went 3-0, but I ended playing 4 more games that I didn't post that went 2-2.

I didn't post any nfl picks, but went 1-3 today . . . imagine that, picks not posted that did not go 17-1.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

SPAL

11-3 for the week going into Monday night (not counting my nba plays, 13-4 with)

YTD RECORD 65-45

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 04, 2012, 10:38:36 pm
11-3 for the week going into Monday night (not counting my nba plays, 13-4 with)

YTD RECORD 65-45

I know you complemented someone else earlier on their season, but 20 games over .500 and 59% isn't too shabby yourself.

McKdaddy

I locked these in last night....

ISU  +10
Wisc  +5.5
UL  -2.5
Clem  -31

39-40 on the season.....I'm celebrating mediocrity like Miss St celebrated the 2000 Independence Bowl. #Snowbowl12

SPAL

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on November 04, 2012, 11:30:32 pm
I know you complemented someone else earlier on their season, but 20 games over .500 and 59% isn't too shabby yourself.

Thanks. I'm having a good run over the last month. I was hitting around 50% before this run. Like you said, the last two months have the potential to be huge.

DadVader1

November 05, 2012, 10:13:21 am #1791 Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:11:31 am by DadVader1
Likewise, I locked in a few last night:

SCe -13.5 v. Hogs (10 units)(I wanted to get this while it was below 2 TDs)
GA -15 @ Aub (4 units)
OM -2.5 v. Vandy (2 units)

I'll probably add more to either GA or OM later in the week.

[EDIT] Added 5 more units on OM -2.5 (bought the hook to get it back down to 2.5)

widespreadsooie

SPAL

Even if it was the lock of the year, I could never root for the hogs to lose.

arkirish

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 05, 2012, 10:46:24 am

Lock of the year came back in September when Vegas had Bama at -19 against the Hogs...bet more on that game than I had ever bet on a single wager.

SPAL

November 05, 2012, 12:21:33 pm #1795 Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:00:32 pm by sir-pigs-a-lot
Eagles/saints o52.         2.5 units......L
Eagles +3.                    1.5 units......L
Parlay same way.          1.5 units......L

Oh what a terrible night. The eagles blew so many chances.

McKdaddy

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 05, 2012, 10:46:24 am

I understand your POV. When I've bet against the Hogs, it has been with money I frankly hope to lose (sounds silly, I know). The bet is made w/ my brain, not my heart. I can therefore easily set aside the conflict of interest and cheer for them same as ever. But I can see and understand why people would absolutely not bet against their team.

DadVader1

November 05, 2012, 02:08:53 pm #1797 Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:19:18 pm by DadVader1
Quote from: McKdaddy on November 05, 2012, 01:17:29 pm
I understand your POV. When I've bet against the Hogs, it has been with money I frankly hope to lose (sounds silly, I know). The bet is made w/ my brain, not my heart. I can therefore easily set aside the conflict of interest and cheer for them same as ever. But I can see and understand why people would absolutely not bet against their team.

Well said.  That is the approach I take.  I analyzed the games for this weekend, picked a few games that I thought were my best plays, and the Hog game was one of them (and, yes, it had to overcome the additional hurdle of me generally not wanting to bet against them).  Here are a few of the factors that brought the game to the top of my list:

(1) general gut feeling after watching both teams play - lean SC
(2) general gut feeling about which of the SEC lines for the week looked a bit off - lean SC
(3) SC (No. 5 scoring O) v. Ark (no. 11 scoring D)(all stats are SEC Only) - lean SC
(4) Ark missing another LB from an already weak D - weak lean SC
(5) Ark secondary's ability to improve Opponent's passing game - lean SC
(6) Spurrier at home vs. JLS on the road - strong lean SC
(7) SC (No. 1 in sacks) & Clowney vs. Tyler getting hit repeatedly by Tulsa - strong lean SC

I hope I'm wrong!  I will pull for the Hogs no matter what and understand why many folks would not bet against their team. 

widespreadsooie

SPAL

Quote from: razorback1 on November 05, 2012, 02:13:36 pm
JAX +3 Thursday. All damn day.

I don't know. With mjd out and Indy getting better each week, this seems like an easy Indy win. Jax only getting 3 at home speaks a lot. I need to run some numbers to see which way I go but the prelim says Indy by 6