Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas is number 2 on Big 12's desired list to expand.

Started by Karma, August 26, 2011, 11:19:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

WE'RE NUMBER 2! WE'RE NUMBER 2! WE'RE NUMBER 2! WE'RE NUMBER 2! WE'RE NUMBER 2! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: ???

BBQDonut

TrojanHog

Quote from: BBQDonut on August 26, 2011, 11:24:53 am
Why would they not go after TCU?

A little school by the name of Baylor is going to fight with all of its might to keep SMU and TCU out of the Big 12. Baylor is greedy and wants to be the only private smarty pants school from Dallas in the Big 12.

CabotHog87

If we move to the Big 12 I will be beyond pissed as a fan.

popcornhog

Quote from: TrojanHog on August 26, 2011, 11:27:20 am
A little school by the name of Baylor is going to fight with all of its might to keep SMU and TCU out of the Big 12. Baylor is greedy and wants to be the only private smarty pants school from Dallas in the Big 12.

But Baylor is not in Dallas. It's a few hours south of Dallas in the Starkville of the B12, Waco.
WPS

PonderinHog

Quote from: popcornhog on August 26, 2011, 11:30:47 am
But Baylor is not in Dallas. It's a few hours south of Dallas in the Starkville of the B12, Waco.
Where is the Balor University School of Medicine?

dooley

SwinerBock

PonderinHog

Quote from: SwinerBock on August 26, 2011, 11:37:04 am
Houston.  Point?
I thought it was in Dallas.  (That's why I asked the question.)  Houston and Waco are both suburbs of Dallas, right?

Kilgor

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 26, 2011, 11:40:06 am
I thought it was in Dallas.  (That's why I asked the question.)  Houston and Waco are both suburbs of Dallas, right?

No, they are suburbs of Mena.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

xiv

Not gonna happen, but I understand why they'd be high on the wish list.
"John Brady is a coach of destiny who will lead LSU to a Final Four." - me, February mmiv

SwinerBock

Practically.  Along with Austin and San Antonio.

lahawg1

While it would be fun to go down and make Tejas our biotch uuummmmmm, pretty happy with the way things are now.

PonderinHog

Quote from: SwinerBock on August 26, 2011, 11:48:36 am
Practically.  Along with Austin and San Antonio.
Just a short drive down I-35.  What a frikken nightmare.

Doug

Leave comments for the author at @PeteThamelNYT. Just gave my own opinion.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

The Boar War

I believe the thread title should be changed to "Arkansas desires to take a number 2 on Big 12's list to expand" in order to truly reflect our intentions.

Houston h

My advice to the Big 12, wish in one hand and shart in the other, see which one fills up first.... Just sayin

Piggage

There is a Baylor Medical School in Dallas. It has nothing whatsoever to do with athletics. That's all Waco.

regi

In a related story, Mila Kunis is very high on my wish list as well.

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

lstewart

I guess we should consider it a sign of respect that another conference would be interested in us, but those folks talking about it can't have a clear view of the big picture. Yes, there are some good "old school" regional rivals in the Big 12, but why would be move from a conference getting even stronger and richer, to a conference with one foot in the grave? We are used to newer rival games in the SEC with the likes of Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, etc, so trading those for Texas, OU, and the other teams would not be that big of an attraction. Can't see it happening.

MJ2

I'd rather be in the SEC, but if you think about it, what do we really have to offer the SEC?  There's only 3M people here or so and we still wayyyyyy west of everyone else.

Pigsknuckles

There still remains in the Big 12 (especially OU) a huge portion of self absorbed hubris that makes their fans believe that Arkansas would just wet all over themselves if they were invited into the conference. It's simply beyond their understanding that we just might like it here in the SEC.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

DeltaBoy

That Yankee paper don't know a dang gum thing about Arkansas or Football.  Hell will melt before we go to the Little 12 that is really 10 and by the end of the year will be the Little 8 or 9.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Boar War on August 26, 2011, 12:12:29 pm
I believe the thread title should be changed to "Arkansas desires to take a number 2 on Big 12's list to expand" in order to truly reflect our intentions.

Post of the day!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mrcoolhog55

Who in their right mind would want to go to a dying conference,? are you kidding me???Not gonna happen , and even if they survive, they will not be a big deal anymore....

Hornkiller

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 26, 2011, 03:05:10 pm
That Yankee paper don't know a dang gum thing about Arkansas or Football.  Hell will melt before we go to the Little 12 that is really 10 and by the end of the year will be the Little 8 or 9.

to be fair... it would be like the Dem-Gaz writing an article on Ryan and the Jets.
I can't imagine with coach Ryan, the Jets and the Yankees there is ever a slow enough news day to warrent coverage of College Football expansion thousands of miles away.

Snouty

The Big 12 is behind the Big East, ACC, Missouri Valley, Southland, Mountain West, PAC 12, playing as an independent, and Pop Warner league on Arkansas' list.

the 1 and only

Quote from: Snouty on August 26, 2011, 03:38:21 pm
The Big 12 is behind the Big East, ACC, Missouri Valley, Southland, Mountain West, PAC 12, playing as an independent, and Pop Warner league on Arkansas' list.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     This
molon Labe

Use your rights before you lose them

Mike_e

I have mixed emotions about us being mentioned in the same breath as ND in a New York newspaper.

A lot of mixed.

But the funny part is that the big whatever still owes A&M $20 mill and may have to pay them to walk out on them.   Now that would be funny!
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

lawhawg

Quote from: Mike_e on August 26, 2011, 04:03:00 pm
I have mixed emotions about us being mentioned in the same breath as ND in a New York newspaper.

?

Mike_e

The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Hog_One_Stop

razorsharp96

I think the writer had his wittle brain rattled during the earthquake earlier in the week and then was inspired by the pending hurricane to hurry up and write a crap piece before he had to high tail it out of NYC.
"I don't create controversies. They're there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention."  ~ Charles Barkley

Laughing Hog

They can go pound sand as far as I am concerned. Oh, btw, did I mention that I HATE ND!!!!!!!!!! (bunch of overrated pricks as far back as I can remember - and I'm old)
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

woopigsooie1222

The South Will Rise Again!

Teebow62

secfan30

He did admit it would be a long shot, so he is not entirely a moron.

hogdogcrazy

Big 12 is #1 on my list of Leagues that Can Kiss My A$$.
Smites are Badges of Honor around this place.

Beantown Razahback

That's just some BS floated out there by a Big 12 "source" to say to the SEC "if you take one of ours, we'll go after one of yours" even though they know they have no chance at it happening.

Desperate times for the collapsing Big 12 indeed

kaiserhog

Quote from: MJ2 on August 26, 2011, 02:43:02 pm
I'd rather be in the SEC, but if you think about it, what do we really have to offer the SEC?  There's only 3M people here or so and we still wayyyyyy west of everyone else.
Your logic is baffling.  It doesn't matter what we offer the SEC.  We are in the SEC.  Trade trips to Knoxville, Baton Rouge, Athens and Columbia (like to go to Charleston) for Ames Ia, Waco, Manhattan Ks, Stillwater, Norman and Lubbock? Thanks but no thanks.

Oklahawg

He did note that it'd be a long shot. No kidding.

As in, "Long would be shot".
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

rzrbackrob

Watching College Football Live on ESPN and they flash up on the screen:

COLLEGE GAMEDAY
built by the home depot
tonight on the
Longhorn Network with a uterus

I'm sure the Hogs would get a fair deal in the Texass and their 8 crack whores conference.
Good is the enemy of great

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 26, 2011, 07:11:37 pm
He did note that it'd be a long shot. No kidding.

As in, "Long would be shot".

Nice!!  I like what you did there.  Clever.   :)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Catfish Joe

I litterally would swear off Hog sports and find another team to follow if by some far fetched out of left field way Arkansas went to that slop of a conference.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

adave

Quote from: The Boar War on August 26, 2011, 12:12:29 pm

This