Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Frank Broyle's Take on A&M

Started by Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424), August 18, 2011, 02:47:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

According to Coach Frank Broyles if A&M joins the SEC Arkansas performance in all athletics will go up 15-25% because it will help us un recruiting in East and North Texas as we will be able to have a real tie to being able to play in their state once a year.

Says the SWC has helped but once it is an official Conference thing it will be even better.

I have always been of the thought that it would hurt us but hearing his perspective and he should know what he is talking about is interesting.

By the way he says the reason he decided to move to the SEC was the entry of Pro Teams to TX and that left all the other teams besides TX and A&M starting to go Broke because the fan bases shifted to the pro sports...i didn't know that and perhaps some of you didn't know either.

he is on the radio with Mattingly talking some history

PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

The Boar War

Actually if Texas A&M goes to the SEC we'll end up playing less in Texas than we do now (football wise). 

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

Quote from: The Boar War on August 18, 2011, 02:58:53 pm
Actually if Texas A&M goes to the SEC we'll end up playing less in Texas than we do now (football wise). 

that is true... just saying what he said.
PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

HoopS

SDZ_Hog

Why couldn't we play in Dallas every year?  Just because A&M joins the SEC doesn't cancel the Southwest Classic contract.

Georgie vs Florida Jacksonville
OU vs sips in Dallas

Choctaw Hog

It's about exposure, i.e., TV, radio, print, etc.  Not necessarily playing in the state of Texas.

GolfnHog

Unless the Hogs/Ags game is permanently attached to Cowboys stadium, then it's the same as it is now.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: TxRzrbak on August 18, 2011, 03:14:09 pm
Unless the Hogs/Ags game is permanently attached to Cowboys stadium, then it's the same as it is now.

As of right now, the Dallas Morning News and the Houston Chronicle do not have any portion of their respective newspapers dedicated to the SEC.  The local news stations have a "Big 12 report."

If aTm moves the SEC, there will be SEC news in Texas 365 days a year... not just the two weeks leading up to the SWC or the Cotton Bowl.

oldman1015

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on August 18, 2011, 03:44:55 pm
As of right now, the Dallas Morning News and the Houston Chronicle do not have any portion of their respective newspapers dedicated to the SEC.  The local news stations have a "Big 12 report."

If aTm moves the SEC, there will be SEC news in Texas 365 days a year... not just the two weeks leading up to the SWC or the Cotton Bowl.
bingo
Arkansas, the left lane state.

dooley

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on August 18, 2011, 03:11:57 pm
It's about exposure, i.e., TV, radio, print, etc.  Not necessarily playing in the state of Texas.

^^^This^^^

Tusks

I been sayin this for a looooooong time.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

3kgthog

The SWC hasn't helped in Texas yet and it's not going to no matter what conference aTm is in. Show me one instance where a kid said he had never heard of Arkansas until we played in Arlington.

texas tush hog

August 18, 2011, 04:35:17 pm #12 Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:23:04 pm by texas tush hog
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/08/17/3297697/texas-am-warned-of-permanent-mistake.html?storylink=digger-topic

NWA Sooner and Head Hawg please read this article and scroll about half way down and you will read what Dan Beebe said about the agreement last year. He said nobody signed a binding agreement and that The Big 12 needed to address the issue in the future. The 28 to 30 million exit fee is a fabrication. Just a gentleman's agreement.

FaytownHog

Quote from: TxRzrbak on August 18, 2011, 03:14:09 pm
except a little more than half of the SEC would ALSO be playing in Texas against A&M every other year.

wherestheD

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on August 18, 2011, 03:09:16 pm
Why couldn't we play in Dallas every year?  Just because A&M joins the SEC doesn't cancel the Southwest Classic contract.

OU vs sips in Dallas

Because we would lose a home game every other year.  I would be for taking one from little rock but no way they can take another one from Fayetteville

WizardofhOgZ

Exactly!!!

I believe I've posted this same thing 10 times in the past month (here and other places).  What is it about A&M possibly joining the SEC that has everyone thinking we HAVE to play them home and home.  How is it that everyone has suddenly gone brain dead on the fact that the EXACT SAME SCENARIO played out when Texas and OU were suddenly in the same conference after decades of playing in the Cotton Bowl every year. 

Did anything change then?

C'mon guys!

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on August 18, 2011, 03:09:16 pm

OU vs sips in Dallas

Buck Brewer

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 18, 2011, 04:31:43 pm
The SWC hasn't helped in Texas yet and it's not going to no matter what conference aTm is in. Show me one instance where a kid said he had never heard of Arkansas until we played in Arlington.

Coaches disagree with you, I'll take their word over yours.

Continue to play in Dallas, it's that easy on football.

texas tush hog

Buck Brewer

August 18, 2011, 05:05:32 pm #18 Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:07:21 pm by SherlockHog
Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 18, 2011, 04:51:11 pm
Exactly!!!

I believe I've posted this same thing 10 times in the past month (here and other places).  What is it about A&M possibly joining the SEC that has everyone thinking we HAVE to play them home and home.  How is it that everyone has suddenly gone brain dead on the fact that the EXACT SAME SCENARIO played out when Texas and OU were suddenly in the same conference after decades of playing in the Cotton Bowl every year. 

C'mon guys!

If the SEC goes to just 14 and keeps an 8 game conference schedule via dropping the permanent east game, Arkansas stands to game a home game every other year  when we suppose to go to USCe or allow to play another noncon game on a home and home basis. Say we get home and homes with Houston or SMoo to increase exposure in Texas even more.

NWARazor

Randy Galloway from the Star-Telegram say anything about A&M leaving yet?  To this day he blames the demise of the Southwest Conference on the "pig people".  >:(
Because it's Everything Texas isn't; Better than Ole Miss; a Northerner's Dream and a Southerner's Wish; the Pride of Arkansas; The Ultimate College Experience; Wooooo Pig Sooie; Old Main; LSU's Worst Nightmare; And a Place That Can Get In Your Blood and Stay Forever...

texas tush hog

August 18, 2011, 05:14:08 pm #20 Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:41:13 pm by texas tush hog

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26895818/31348323

Looks like A&M recruiting may not be hurt against OU and Texass

Tylerhog

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 18, 2011, 04:31:43 pm
There ya go, Frank must be wrong! Heck, he only built the place?

The Boar War

Quote from: rbarnett424 on August 18, 2011, 03:02:10 pm
that is true... just saying what he said.

Yeah I know.  Sorry if it came off the wrong way.

The Boar War

August 18, 2011, 05:58:49 pm #23 Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:11:31 pm by The Boar War
Exactly!!!

C'mon guys!

Yes.  Everyone understands that.  We've all seen the OU-Texas and UGA-Florida games.  However I've heard that, according to Conference guidelines, a school can only play one conference game per year at a location off campus.  War Memorial is not going to lose it's one conference game per year.

Also the SWC earns about the same as a home game.  I'm sure if the contract can't be renegotiated for more money than the game will be a home and home series.  I have to believe that given the guidelines an out was put in the contract in case A&M became an SEC member.  The money will most likely be made up in another nonconference game.  Maybe in Dallas as well.  If the game does garner more money then Jeff Long has a hard decision to make.

Cowtown Hog

Quote from: 3kgthog on Today at 04:31:43 PM

Actually today's Ft Worth Star Telegram has quotes from two top recruits from Trinity High School that list Arkansas as one of their top schools of interest along with Oklahoma, Miami, Texas and USC.  Look at that company we are in.  I doubt that these kids would have any awareness or interest in Arkansas if the Southwest Classic hadn't brought Arkansas back into the metroplex over the last couple of years.  Yes Coach Petrino and our on field success has elevated our appeal in these kids eyes.  But clearly the publicity we are getting here is vital to making these kids be aware and interested in the hogs.

Cowtown Hog

Quote from: Root66 on August 18, 2011, 05:29:09 pm
Randy Galloway was a prick when we were in the SWC. Randy Galloway was a prick when we left the SWC. And Randy Galloway will always be a prick.

I'm not a big Galloway fan either.  But today on GAC, his local radio show, he was outraged that SI's top college football traditions didn't have "calling the Hogs in the hills."  Said emphatically, many times, it is the best tradition in college football.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Root66 on August 18, 2011, 05:29:09 pm
Randy Galloway was a prick when we were in the SWC. Randy Galloway was a prick when we left the SWC. And Randy Galloway will always be a prick.

+1

ark30inf

When A&M joins the SEC they will be forced to talk about the SEC in Texas more than they are now.

The SEC will get more clips on the sportscasts.  The SEC will get more column inches in the newspapers.  The SEC will get more discussion on radio programs.  The SEC will have to be included in pre-season magazines.

That is a lot of what it is about.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: Cowtown Hog on August 18, 2011, 06:04:39 pm
I'm not a big Galloway fan either.  But today on GAC, his local radio show, he was outraged that SI's top college football traditions didn't have "calling the Hogs in the hills."  Said emphatically, many times, it is the best tradition in college football.

I heard that as well.  No point in saying it here. Anyone that says something good about the hogs is a god. Say something bad and post after post will be I never liked him anyway.
Let's make some waves.

NWASooner

Correct.  Arkansas will have fewer games in Texas while every single other SEC will have more games in Texas.

How is that a win for Arkansas?

LZH

Quote from: NWARazor on August 18, 2011, 05:09:19 pm
Randy Galloway from the Star-Telegram say anything about A&M leaving yet?  To this day he blames the demise of the Southwest Conference on the "pig people".  >:(

I get a warm, fuzzy feeling every time I think of the likelihood of this being the case.

secfan30

But more in every other sport

The Boar War

Quote from: secfan30 on August 18, 2011, 06:36:56 pm
But more in every other sport

And an overall greater presence than we have at this moment.  Not more than any other SEC western division team just more than we have now.

regi

Guys, every sec game (except one ppv per team) will be availble on cable tv in Houston, East Texas, and DFW once A&M is in the league. If momma can't make the drive to Fayetnam, turn on the tv and watch your baby. What is so hard to get about this? The only people that should be upset about A&M joining the SEC are TT, Texas, OU and Baylor.

DEVIL DOG HOG

With CBP leading our football team, recruiting and exposure will not be a problem.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

56Hog

As the winners and losers become clear in the race to the superconferences it should be remembered that twenty years ago three powerful men helped set all this in motion:  Joe Paterno by taking PSU to the Big Ten, Bobby Bowden with FSU to the ACC, and Frank Broyles with Arkansas to the SEC.  It is no coincidence those three conferences will be among the survivors.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

PonderinHog

Fifty million eyeballs in a football crazy state, fiddy.

texas tush hog

Quote from: NWASooner on August 18, 2011, 06:28:20 pm
Correct.  Arkansas will have fewer games in Texas while every single other SEC will have more games in Texas.

Okay, genius, we play one game a year in Arlington and every other team plays in Texas every other year, except A&M, of course. How does that compute in your brilliant little brain to be more than us.

Hogustus Caesar

I think Coach Broyles was referring to (as mentioned in other posts) that the exposure will be more in Texas for Arkansas than it is now. I don't wish to speak for him but out of respect for him I believe this is what he meant.

Also I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas begin to host an alternating SEC Championship game. SEC "WILL" go to 16 teams. Things "WILL" change. TV revenue and contracts "WILL" dictate change.

Newspapers, newscasts, talk shows, internet traffic will swirl around the conference and with the presence of an SEC team in the state it must be covered.

For those who are concerned with the number of players staying in Texas...well...have you been on the UofA campus? Drive around and look at the Texas plates of the students...they are everywhere. Not to mention that there are a lot of alumni of the UofA in Texas. Don't forget as well that we do have one of the top college football coaches in America. Arkansas is in a good spot here.

I would be concerned however with the identity of the "other" unnamed schools who are set to join the SEC in addition to Texas A&M.
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

texas tush hog

August 18, 2011, 08:35:20 pm #39 Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:41:39 pm by texas tush hog
And the war goes on.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/31401386

Does anybody really think this relationship can be saved? Irreconcilable differences.

DEVICEHIGH

What are the consequences if LSU takes 25 from Texas every year?

Adding Texas to SEC recruiting is a win for Arkansas.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

Hogeration

Exactly!!!

C'mon guys!

Long, himself, said it wouldn't make sense because we would be losing money by not playing home and home.  He would try to move it out of Cowboy stadium.

56Hog

Quote from: FayettenamSam on August 18, 2011, 08:27:30 pm
I think Coach Broyles was referring to (as mentioned in other posts) that the exposure will be more in Texas for Arkansas than it is now. I don't wish to speak for him but out of respect for him I believe this is what he meant.

Also I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas begin to host an alternating SEC Championship game. SEC "WILL" go to 16 teams. Things "WILL" change. TV revenue and contracts "WILL" dictate change.

Newspapers, newscasts, talk shows, internet traffic will swirl around the conference and with the presence of an SEC team in the state it must be covered.

For those who are concerned with the number of players staying in Texas...well...have you been on the UofA campus? Drive around and look at the Texas plates of the students...they are everywhere. Not to mention that there are a lot of alumni of the UofA in Texas. Don't forget as well that we do have one of the top college football coaches in America. Arkansas is in a good spot here.

I would be concerned however with the identity of the "other" unnamed schools who are set to join the SEC in addition to Texas A&M.

Multiple rapid response denials of a persistent rumor today that it is A&M, OU, MU, and VaTech.

More interestingly, confirmation that A&M was not present when B12 prez discussed terms under which Texas/ESPN could put a 2nd B12 game on the LHN.  That would never have happened if A&M was staying.

I could almost be convinced A&M has already withdrawn from B12 and sometime since Monday Loftin submitted a bid to SEC and what we have really been waiting on was team 14 and maybe 15 and 16.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

NWASooner

August 18, 2011, 08:49:05 pm #43 Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:52:35 pm by NWASooner
Quote from: texas tush hog on August 18, 2011, 08:24:48 pm
Okay, genius, we play one game a year in Arlington and every other team plays in Texas every other year, except A&M, of course. How does that compute in your brilliant little brain to be more than us.

Total SEC played in Texas currently:  2 (The Cotton Bowl and the Arkansas/A&M game.)
Future games played:  9 (Every single A&M home game plus the Cotton Bowl).  LSU will be playing as many games as Arkansas.  That's not the case now.

Some of you people love the SEC so much that you confuse what's good for the SEC vs. what's good for Arkansas.

NWASooner

Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on August 18, 2011, 08:41:38 pm
What are the consequences if LSU takes 25 from Texas every year?

Adding Texas to SEC recruiting is a win for Arkansas.

Will that mean Arkansas getting blue chippers from Louisiana?  Probably not?  LSU will still get whoever it wants from Louisiana but now get equal exposure in Texas as Arkansas.  How is that a win for Arkansas?

Hogustus Caesar

Quote from: 56Hog on August 18, 2011, 08:42:49 pm
Multiple rapid response denials of a persistent rumor today that it is A&M, OU, MU, and VaTech.

More interestingly, confirmation that A&M was not present when B12 prez discussed terms under which Texas/ESPN could put a 2nd B12 game on the LHN.  That would never have happened if A&M was staying.

I could almost be convinced A&M has already withdrawn from B12 and sometime since Monday Loftin submitted a bid to SEC and what we have really been waiting on was team 14 and maybe 15 and 16.

+1
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

PonderinHog

No longer a question of "if." The question is now "when?"

Mrcoolhog55

You are probably right on some things, but I will say this I want to see Arkansas stay strong in all major, or all sports, and to me that means that we have to stay strong in recruiting every year to keep up with the big schools.... Recruiting is the lifeblood of the Uof A FOR US TO REMAIN STRONG IN ALL MAJOR SPORTS........ I like the way this coaching staff goes about recruiting every year, 1st they recruit nationally, whereever the top talent is at every position, or where we are thin , to create delph, and 2ND How coach Petrino, and this staff can build the players up during their practices ,or during the season.......................................................

HawgPilot

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 18, 2011, 08:10:13 pm
Fifty million eyeballs in a football crazy state, fiddy.

Uum, I love ur enthusiasm but there's only 20M peeps in TX

PonderinHog

Quote from: HawgPilot on August 18, 2011, 09:27:19 pm
Uum, I love ur enthusiasm but there's only 20M peeps in TX
25,373,947 x 2.  (give or take a few one-eyed Texans) ;)