Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aggies give Loftin authority to proceed

Started by SwinerBock, August 15, 2011, 04:16:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

This is confirmed on Texags, which is monitoring a live feed from the BOR regents meeting. 

They're coming to the SEC.  May take a week or two, but they're coming.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

mthawg87

cityhog

rzrbackrob

Step 1:
After making a giant mistake by staying in a withering conference with a horrendous stench (Texass with OU's gonads rotting in Texass' pocket), representatives from TA&M let the SEC know it now is ready to make the jump and get away from the carcass known as the Big 12.

Step 2:
The SEC meets over the weekend to cover themselves legally in case the carcass Big 12) wants to sue the SEC because another body fell off trying to avoid gangrene.

Step 3:
TA&M BOR meets to give Loftin full authority to persue other conference affiliations.

Step 4: (yet to happen)
TA&M's Loftin ask the SEC for membership, while threatening lawsuit against Big 12 if they demand 30 million dollar buyout.
TA&M will hope to tie up in court till the Big 12 dissolves or can settle out of court for a reasonable amount.

Step 5: (yet to happen)
SEC rubber stamps TA&M's invitation.
Good is the enemy of great

NWASooner

Did anyone think they wouldn't give him the authority?

They're not going anywhere and they know it.

kaiserhog

Quote from: NWASooner on August 15, 2011, 05:40:02 pm

Me thinks you are in denial.

NWASooner

Quote from: Head Hawg on August 15, 2011, 05:45:25 pm
I've never seen a step by step report of drama queens like this before. I totally understand what the word "Aggie" used to mean in Arkansas for everyone 50 and older.

I think it's funny that every single "source" that's been leaking stuff to ESPN has been from A&M.  Not one single SEC representative is leaking anything to anyone.  Saturday morning, departure was "imminent" along with Missouri, Clemson, and Florida State.  Who do you think leaked that?

Now, they backed themselves into a corner.  They have to give what's his name authority to do something.  What's he going to do, though?  Here's a snippet of the blog that was covering this august body:

Quote4:32   Asked if the goal for A&M is to be a part of the SEC: "I can't say that."
4:33   Loftin has talked with coaches, got input...told them it's a lengthy process.
4:34   If A&M negotiates an exit, ability to continue a UT rivalry game on Thanksgiving would be a big part of the discussions.
4:36   Anything we do will be in the best interest of TAMU, State of TX. Also concerned about other B12 members.
4:37   Money is important...this is a 100-yr decision...B12 bylaws are confusing...must be clear on all things before taking steps.
4:37   There is a chance A&M could stay in the B12: "Certainly."

So, basically, he doesn't have anything, he wants to delay, and he still wants to play Texas.

The fact that the House committee postponed its meeting speaks volumes.  A&M leaving would cost $30 million (maybe more), cost millions in revenue to Texas, Baylor, and Tech, causing layoffs at the last two.  All this because Texas was mean to A&M?  Really?

This is over and going nowhere and A&M's backtracking after the BOR meeting says a lot.

NWASooner

So, when is the big day that A&M accepts the SEC's standing offer?

Simple Swineman

Quote from: NWASooner on August 15, 2011, 06:04:31 pm
So, when is the big day that A&M accepts the SEC's standing offer?

I'm not going to go dig through your post history, but of all the garbage you have posted I don't recall you ever taking a stance on the issue... Do you actually believe that Texas A&M is absolutely never going to the SEC? You think it's just flat out not going to happen?

NWASooner

Quote from: Simple Swineman on August 15, 2011, 06:13:53 pm
I'm not going to go dig through your post history, but of all the garbage you have posted I don't recall you ever taking a stance on the issue... Do you actually believe that Texas A&M is absolutely never going to the SEC? You think it's just flat out not going to happen?

That would be correct.

regi

This thing is going to happen. SEC just not wanting to be part of the lawsuit. This is a process. No need to rush, everybody just needs to take a breath and let their lawyers take a look since OU and Texas are crying like [CENSORED] about A&M breaking a contract. Never mind that Texas and  the Big 12 have already broken some promises made last year. It is also looking less and less likely Mizzou is invited, more likely to be FSU or Clemson.

DrSwineESQ

Sooner, not saying you're wrong, because, quite frankly, I don't want any Big 12-2 program in the SEC (not A&M, not OU, not OSU, and certainly not Mizzou).  I am curious though.  I'm wondering what's up with your intransigence on this issue, as you seem to be one of the most outspoken posters on any of these threads.  Are you angry because the fans on hogville seem to be overwhelming against OU being courted, and therefore feel the need to lash out at their perceived favorite addition?  Would you want OU to go to the SEC "if" the Big 12-2 goes down the latrine?  Are you afraid, if this is true, that it would damage an already weakened Big 12-2 to the point that it would collapse and leave OU searching for a new home?  You may have answered these questions elsewhere and I just didn't see them, but I'm not going to dig through your posts to find them -- sorry.  I will, however, read this thread to see what you have to say.

ark30inf

Quote from: Simple Swineman on August 15, 2011, 06:13:53 pm
I'm not going to go dig through your post history, but of all the garbage you have posted I don't recall you ever taking a stance on the issue...

I think I recall one time he said that the Big 12 gave him the sadz and he was not going to care about it anymore.

56Hog

Quote from: NWASooner on August 15, 2011, 05:40:02 pm

It is time to ask yourself when not where Joe C. is going to take OU and OSU.  Into the PAC leading the Longhorn herd or eating trail dust as usual.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

NWASooner

Quote from: DrSwineESQ on August 15, 2011, 06:25:36 pm
Sooner, not saying you're wrong, because, quite frankly, I don't want any Big 12-2 program in the SEC (not A&M, not OU, not OSU, and certainly not Mizzou).  I am curious though.  I'm wondering what's up with your intransigence on this issue, as you seem to be one of the most outspoken posters on any of these threads.  Are you angry because the fans on hogville seem to be overwhelming against OU being courted, and therefore feel the need to lash out at their perceived favorite addition?  Would you want OU to go to the SEC "if" the Big 12-2 goes down the latrine?  Are you afraid, if this is true, that it would damage an already weakened Big 12-2 to the point that it would collapse and leave OU searching for a new home?  You may have answered these questions elsewhere and I just didn't see them, but I'm not going to dig through your posts to find them -- sorry.  I will, however, read this thread to see what you have to say.

Fair question.

1.  My personal preference for OU is that they actually go to the Pac-10 so A&M leaving would actually help that.  I just know it's not going to happen and the Big 12-2 is sort of workable but boring.  The Pac-10 ship sailed last year.

2.  As to my "intransigence" on the issue, it's because of two things.  One, is that way back in the day I did some work in politics and that work covers three states, one of which is Texas so I have a general understanding of how things work down there.  (What I don't know is the principals involved.  I just know the process and the factions.)

It's because of that I know this is going nowhere and it never was.  I then see people on this board getting whipped into a frenzy about a program (A&M) that is barely over .500 over the last 10 years for God's sake. 

Secondly, I spend every day of my working life dealing with large amounts of money and negotiations so I also know that money is the first, second, and third most important thing in all of this as it is in everything else.  I also know A&M handled this in a piss poor manner from a negotiation standpoint.  The reasons are too numerous to list but they're the laughing stock of the business and sports world today.

Those things being said, I'm not angry at all.  I have more of a vested interest in the U of A than probably 95% of the state.  (I have a hell of a lot bigger stake in that than I do OU.  They could implode tomorrow and it doesn't effect me at all.  The U of A imploding?  That's a different story.)

I've sat here and watched these A&M threads for 2 or 3 years now and I'm glad that the U of A is run by people who are generally immune to fan opinion, unlike Texas A&M.  If they weren't, they'd get pushed into stupid decisions like voting A&M into the conference and giving them money.

I guess in the end, I dig in the because every now and then I stumble across a thread about how A&M coming to the SEC is a certainty or how the Ags are great or blah, blah, blah.  I ignore most of them but I know how this story ends.  You don't run an organization as badly as A&M has run it's athletic department and negotiate in such a piss poor manner and have it work out your way.  It was never in doubt in my mind.

I liken it to the story Gust Avrakotos told at the end of "Charlie Wilson's War."  It ended with the Greek fortune teller saying "We'll see."

That's my attitude with all of these moronic leaks from A&M to ESPN.  We'll see. 

I know how this story ends.

Good question, though.

GuvHog

August 15, 2011, 06:56:58 pm #16 Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:59:22 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: Head Hawg on August 15, 2011, 06:35:28 pm
Reading the tweets from Joe Schad it sounds like total backtracking to me. These answers aren't answers you give with smiles when you know something big is about to happen.

This is exactly why I stated you don't spout off in public about what is going on. This proves my point it puts TAMU in a bad position if they leave or don't leave. These idiots need to learn that less is more.

I agree about the postponed House committee, you don't rush to call a meeting to order just to delay it without a very good reason. Especially, when it's about a massive amount of revenue.

I'll say this, it puts a better understanding, to the younger kids, on the term AGGIE, ha ha.

It isn't back tracking, it's going to happen. The SEC Presidents did what was expected of them. They didn't extend an invitation because they don't want to get sued by the Big 12 for tampering so wisely, they are going to wait for A&M to make the first move by officially and publicly asking to join the SEC. The A&M BOR gave the President authority to act but it's going to take at least a couple of weeks maybe 3 for A&M to get their legal T's crossed and I's dotted before publicly making the move. Even Chris the Orangeblood Longhorn mouthpiece has admitted that in 21 days the Aggies will make it official.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

NWASooner

Quote from: Head Hawg on August 15, 2011, 06:51:34 pm
President says A&M could stay in Big 12

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6864257/texas-president-says-staying-big-12-option

ESPN Video.

They'll look ultra stupid if they decided to stay and don't go now, ha. Unreal. Literally, unreal.

Wait, I thought they had an open invite and according to the leaks A&M was feeding ESPN, them leaving was "imminent?"

I'm so confused.  Now they're saying they might actually stay?

I wonder what could have happened to change their minds?

NWASooner

QuoteIt isn't back tracking, it's going to happen.

Yes, this is all going perfectly like A&M planned it from the beginning.  It's part of their master plan....

regi

Quote from: NWASooner on August 15, 2011, 06:53:20 pm
Fair question.

1.  My personal preference for OU is that they actually go to the Pac-10 so A&M leaving would actually help that.  I just know it's not going to happen and the Big 12-2 is sort of workable but boring.  The Pac-10 ship sailed last year.

2.  As to my "intransigence" on the issue, it's because of two things.  One, is that way back in the day I did some work in politics and that work covers three states, one of which is Texas so I have a general understanding of how things work down there.  (What I don't know is the principals involved.  I just know the process and the factions.)

It's because of that I know this is going nowhere and it never was.  I then see people on this board getting whipped into a frenzy about a program (A&M) that is barely over .500 over the last 10 years for God's sake. 

Secondly, I spend every day of my working life dealing with large amounts of money and negotiations so I also know that money is the first, second, and third most important thing in all of this as it is in everything else.  I also know A&M handled this in a piss poor manner from a negotiation standpoint.  The reasons are too numerous to list but they're the laughing stock of the business and sports world today.

Those things being said, I'm not angry at all.  I have more of a vested interest in the U of A than probably 95% of the state.  (I have a hell of a lot bigger stake in that than I do OU.  They could implode tomorrow and it doesn't effect me at all.  The U of A imploding?  That's a different story.)

I've sat here and watched these A&M threads for 2 or 3 years now and I'm glad that the U of A is run by people who are generally immune to fan opinion, unlike Texas A&M.  If they weren't, they'd get pushed into stupid decisions like voting A&M into the conference and giving them money.

I guess in the end, I dig in the because every now and then I stumble across a thread about how A&M coming to the SEC is a certainty or how the Ags are great or blah, blah, blah.  I ignore most of them but I know how this story ends.  You don't run an organization as badly as A&M has run it's athletic department and negotiate in such a piss poor manner and have it work out your way.  It was never in doubt in my mind.

I liken it to the story Gust Avrakotos told at the end of "Charlie Wilson's War."  It ended with the Greek fortune teller saying "We'll see."

That's my attitude with all of these moronic leaks from A&M to ESPN.  We'll see. 

Good question, though.

All of that is nice, you also have a bit of disrespect for A&M, similar to how most Hog fans feel about Ole Miss, 'they are not our Rival because they are clearly beneath us'. That being said. Tony Barnhardt is as well connected as it gets, as is Mark Schlabaugh and Pat Forde. Even today, they say it will happen and the events of the last 24 hours are a part of the process. In the end no other institution can deem your prosperity in a free society. They will be a member of the SEC by 2013 and Joe C, is in constant contact with his daddy down in Austin to secure the Sooners future. All will be okay.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NWASooner on August 15, 2011, 06:57:57 pm
Wait, I thought they had an open invite and according to the leaks A&M was feeding ESPN, them leaving was "imminent?"

I'm so confused.  Now they're saying they might actually stay?

I wonder what could have happened to change their minds?

And under the heading of other things you can absolutely believe...Mickey Rooney called and said he was never getting another divorce.
Go Hogs Go!

NWASooner

QuoteEven today, they say it will happen and the events of the last 24 hours are a part of the process.

That's because their sources are from A&M because the Ags are the only ones talking.

Your response covers about 80% of the stuff on here.  "Texas is mean, OU sucks off of their teat, blah, blah blah."

Instead, this whole A&M saga is a great example of what not do do.  You should always know your position in any negotiation and never, if possible, negotiate from a position of weakness.  Read Sun-tzu's "The Art of War," for more about this.

A&M never understood their position or the leverage they do or don't have.  Instead, they started this assuming a position of strength and they were laughingly wrong.

56Hog

Quote from: Head Hawg on August 15, 2011, 06:51:34 pm
President says A&M could stay in Big 12

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6864257/texas-president-says-staying-big-12-option

ESPN Video.

They'll look ultra stupid if they decided to stay and don't go now, ha. Unreal. Literally, unreal.

Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin on Monday dubbed the Aggies' potential move to the Southeastern Conference a "100-year decision" and asked for the A&M faithful's patience as he works through the details.

http://blog.chron.com/aggies/2011/08/loftin-100-year-decision-at-hand-concerning-possible-move-to-sec/

The man has a sense of history, mixed in with a little bit of Charleton Heston too.

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

GuvHog

Quote from: NWASooner on August 15, 2011, 06:59:04 pm
Yes, this is all going perfectly like A&M planned it from the beginning.  It's part of their master plan....

Yes it is. They knew the Big 12 led by the Longhorns would make all kinds of threats to try and keep them in line. Everything is right on schedule. Even the Aggie presidents statement of non-committal was made just to buy time until all of the legal thing are squared away.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: NWASooner on August 15, 2011, 06:59:04 pm
an Aggie Master Plan... LMAO!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

NWASooner

QuoteTexas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin on Monday dubbed the Aggies' potential move to the Southeastern Conference a "100-year decision" and asked for the A&M faithful's patience as he works through the details.

So, it's going to take them 100 years to make the move?

He also said he wants to keep playing Texas if they leave.  Yeah, I see that happening.....

56Hog

Quote from: NWASooner on August 15, 2011, 07:10:19 pm
So, it's going to take them 100 years to make the move?

He also said he wants to keep playing Texas if they leave.  Yeah, I see that happening.....

No, it took 100 years to get leverage.  Like Arkansas and Nebraska the moment the Aggies realized they had it they used it.

ark30inf

August 15, 2011, 07:18:58 pm #27 Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:24:26 pm by ark30inf
Loftin has been given the authority by the BOR.  What happens if the old goat just up and uses it and the SEC accepts?

What exactly is anybody gonna do about it?  What is the legislature going to do about it?  Are they going to pass a law that says "The BOR and President of Texas A&M cannot make decisions for the university"?  Are they going to cut off funds to Texas A&M?  Are they going to chop off research dollars?  Cut off the State's nose to spite its face?

That is not even considering the timetable that the legislature can actually meet...or the Aggie governor....or the fact that Aggie donors and voters would make hell for politicians who forced them to stay with their ex.

The Aggie fans are already mentally divorced.  Forcing them back together almost turns a rivalry into a civil war.  It makes absolutely clear that Texas A&M is not an independent institution and that it is UT - College Station.  It would certainly result in a backlash at the ballot box and with the wallet of epic proportions.

I am not saying that they won't do this to A&M.  But I do take issue that it is as cut and dried as you proclaim.  There will be serious fallout for politicians and the Big 12 if they do.  Forcing your #2 university and its (obsessive and over the top) fans into a conference that they absolutely 100% don't want to be in is not a snap your fingers easy as pie thing.

And what about the people in Houston?  Is it in their best interest to keep Texas A&M in the Big 12?  Or is it in their interest to see Texas A&M go and UH move up into a BCS conference?  How does Texas A&M staying help the SMU wheelers and dealers?

Razorbackuphere

Quote from: NWASooner on August 15, 2011, 06:53:20 pm
Fair question.

Good question, though.

I like this guy!  An argument with intellect on hogville??  I mean every thread usually turns into an argument of who knows who (usually some name dropping going on) or a difference of personal opinion with heated personalized defamation of character.  Then sometimes as a last ditch effort, there is the old stand by of calling each other "huggers" (whatever that means anymore) or doing spell check on each others posts, but this is cool...  Well said NWA Sooner!  GO HOGS!

Hog-O-Licious

I'll post this again:

The Aggies are comin.  This is all political maneuvering to make sure the SEC can't be blamed for the move.

Try this article:

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/6/13/1516787/texas-a-m-reportedly-leaning

This is the beginning of the article at 8:01 am and it goes from there with other interesting tidbits.  You have to scroll down to start at 8:01 am.

Here is the first part:

Update
SEC Expansion: Texas A&M President Releases Statement, University Proceeding As Planned

When the SEC presidents decided Sunday not to take a vote on any conference realignment matters, the signal that many people received was that Texas A&M's overtures were being rebuffed. In fact, all that merely did was let everyone know that there was going to be a time for discovery and discussion and both sides were going to take advantage of it.

Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin made a statement Sunday that reiterated as much and let everyone know that the Aggies will continue to meet, discuss and vote on the idea of leaving the Big 12 for the SEC.

"As we have seen over the past several days, there has been a considerable amount of misinformation regarding these discussions and any associated timelines. The chairman of our board has indicated that the regents will proceed with tomorrow's agenda item, which authorizes the president of Texas A&M to take all actions related to athletic conference alignment. I will also accept Chairman [Dan] Branch's invitation to participate in his committee's hearing on Tuesday. These are extremely complex issues, and it is imperative that we proceed methodically and in the best interests of Texas A&M."

SI's Andy Staples has a great article up for anyone interested on the current status of Texas A&M, the SEC and what it all means. Of course, the easy answer is that it means a lot more money in those Aggie pockets. As well as the SEC's.

"There is more money for Texas A&M in the SEC. In fact, Texas A&M probably is more valuable to the SEC than it is to the Big 12. Remember, the SEC signed media rights deals in 2009 with CBS and ESPN worth $3 billion over 15 years...Now, imagine how much those deals would be worth if the population of the SEC's geographic footprint suddenly increased by 42 percent. That's how many potential viewers the SEC would add by including a major Texas team."
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." --Joe Theismann

56Hog

The authority is ritual legal formality.  You are right the A&M nation realized in the last year there was nothing really holding them to UT and they have moved on.  The power structure in Austin played every card they had their focus now is trying to keep both OU and ESPN on board till they come up with the alternative which is to see how much of the LHN they can keep under their control when ESPN sells their interest to Fox to make it into the PAC-Texas division network.

That is, I think what we are waiting on now.

onebadrubi

Someone mentioned A&M moving conferences and not being able to play Texas, many SEC schools do something like this every year...

I don't really have a stance on this subject, if it happens ok, if it doesn't ok by me too.  I'm a hog fan that is not smart enough to find actual facts in the good of this going either way, I can make an argument for both ways, positive and negative.

Anyone think that maybe A&M could just be doing this to try and bargain a larger revenue portion of the Longhorn Network contract?  Who says for certainty that UT wants independence?  If they, actually, do not, then this could put A&M in a great bargaining point... Legally be free by no binding contract and free to walk away at any point to other conferences...

NWASooner

QuoteWhat exactly is anybody gonna do about it?  What is the legislature going to do about it?  Are they going to pass a law that says "The BOR and President of Texas A&M cannot make decisions for the university"?  Are they going to cut off funds to Texas A&M?  Are they going to chop off research dollars?  Cut off the State's nose to spite its face?

Do you mean to tell me you think that a public entity (Texas A&M) can make a decision that would cost the state millions and the legislature wouldn't get involved?

A&M leaving would cost:

1. $30 million exit fee.  Maybe more.
2. Significant loss in revenue to Texas, Baylor, and Tech.  (Texas can make this up.  The other two can't.)
3.  As a result of #2, Tech and Baylor would have to lay off half of their athletic departments.  Real people would lose their jobs.
4.  Don't discount the lost ticket revenue and sales tax in Waco and Lubbock due to A&M games not being played there anymore.

All of this was caused because Texas was "mean" to A&M?  Seriously?  Maybe that Taylor Swift song was written by an A&M grad about Texa

Just with those four points, do you honestly think for a nano second that the Texas wouldn't get involved?  Imagine if the U of A was about to do something that costs Arkansas State millions of dollars?  Do you think Mike Beebe, Dustin McDaniel, and the legislative block from NE Arkansas wouldn't have something to say about it?  Do you really think that?  Do you think whether or not the legislature was technically in session really matters?

A&M should have known better.  If I knew that, they should have.

3kgthog

Some of you want this so badly and I don't know why. Be very careful what you wish for.

HawgPound

I'm not sure that I want A&M in the SEC because it creates a few wrinkles for the Razorbacks but I don't think A&M should be held hostage to the Big 12.

ark30inf

Quote from: NWASooner on August 15, 2011, 07:55:16 pm
Do you mean to tell me you think that a public entity (Texas A&M) can make a decision that would cost the state millions and the legislature wouldn't get involved?

A&M leaving would cost:

1. $30 million exit fee.  Maybe more.
2. Significant loss in revenue to Texas, Baylor, and Tech.  (Texas can make this up.  The other two can't.)
3.  As a result of #2, Tech and Baylor would have to lay off half of their athletic departments.  Real people would lose their jobs.
4.  Don't discount the lost ticket revenue and sales tax in Waco and Lubbock due to A&M games not being played there anymore.

All of this was caused because Texas was "mean" to A&M?  Seriously?  Maybe that Taylor Swift song was written by an A&M grad about Texa

Just with those four points, do you honestly think for a nano second that the Texas wouldn't get involved?  Imagine if the U of A was about to do something that costs Arkansas State millions of dollars?  Do you think Mike Beebe, Dustin McDaniel, and the legislative block from NE Arkansas wouldn't have something to say about it?  Do you really think that?  Do you think whether or not the legislature was technically in session really matters?

A&M should have known better.  If I knew that, they should have.

I didn't ask you about any of that crap.  I asked you specifically WHAT are they going to do?  And additionally HOW are they going to do it?

The legislature is NOT in session.  The Governor is NOT going to call a special session so they can force his alma mater to do something it doesn't want to do.  There will be no law passed to stop them.  The BOR gave authority to Loftin...he has the authority.  He CAN use it right this minute if he wants.

The only thing they could do then would be to threaten later action after the fait accompli when they reconvene.  What will that entail?  Cutting off funds?  Burning the place down?  When they finally reconvene are they going to force Texas A&M to retroactively pull out of the SEC and return to the Big 12?  Revenge on their #2 university?

Since you know all about it....you gotta tell us how it works.  Cause we don't believe you until you explain the process here.

And you gotta explain the political fallout of thousands of very angry Aggie voters and why the politicians want to deal with that.

And you gotta explain why SMU and Houston and their politicians would jump on board and favor A&M plugging their potential BCS slot.  Do they love Baylor Bible College that much?

Explain.

ark30inf

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 15, 2011, 08:00:50 pm
Some of you want this so badly and I don't know why. Be very careful what you wish for.

I want the Big 12 to blow up.  Whether A&M actually comes to the SEC I could take or leave.

GuvHog

Quote from: ark30inf on August 15, 2011, 08:08:54 pm
I didn't ask you about any of that crap.  I asked you specifically WHAT are they going to do?  And additionally HOW are they going to do it?

The legislature is NOT in session.  The Governor is NOT going to call a special session so they can force his alma mater to do something it doesn't want to do.  There will be no law passed to stop them.  The BOR gave authority to Loftin...he has the authority.  He CAN use it right this minute if he wants.

The only thing they could do then would be to threaten later action after the fait accompli when they reconvene.  What will that entail?  Cutting off funds?  Burning the place down?  When they finally reconvene are they going to force Texas A&M to retroactively pull out of the SEC and return to the Big 12?  Revenge on their #2 university?

Since you know all about it....you gotta tell us how it works.  Cause we don't believe you until you explain the process here.

And you gotta explain the political fallout of thousands of very angry Aggie voters and why the politicians want to deal with that.

And you gotta explain why SMU and Houston and their politicians would jump on board and favor A&M plugging their potential BCS slot.  Do they love Baylor Bible College that much?

Explain.

You have it all exactly right, there is nothing the Texas Legislature can do about it because Rick Perry will block every move they make. +1 to you.

NWASooner

QuoteI didn't ask you about any of that crap.  I asked you specifically WHAT are they going to do?  And additionally HOW are they going to do it?

They're going to cut their funding next session.  The state loses money in this deal.  They have to make it up somewhere.

QuoteThe legislature is NOT in session.  The Governor is NOT going to call a special session so they can force his alma mater to do something it doesn't want to do.  There will be no law passed to stop them.  The BOR gave authority to Loftin...he has the authority.  He CAN use it right this minute if he wants.

Being in session is 100% irrelevant.  The legislature wasn't in session when the Big 12 was formed.  Why does that matter now?

QuoteThe only thing they could do then would be to threaten later action after the fait accompli when they reconvene.  What will that entail?  Cutting off funds?

Yes.

QuoteSince you know all about it....you gotta tell us how it works.  Cause we don't believe you until you explain the process here.

I'll give you the long answer and that's only because Mrs. NWASooner is watching something awful on TV.  I swear, she's a crap seeking missile when it comes to TV shows.

Here's how it works.

1.  The Texas governor is irrelevant.  He/she has very little constitutional power.

2.  The Lt. Governor is extremely powerful.  He's head of the State Senate and the State Finance Department.  It doesn't help A&M that Dewhurst doesn't have an affiliation here. 

3.  The State Senate is EXTREMELY powerful.  There are only 31 of them.  They have 36 congressmen, to put it in perspective.  That means a State Senate district is actually bigger than a Congressional district.

Also, it takes a 2/3 of the Senate to pass anything at all.  That means you can get 7-10 Senators together and they can control everything.  Committee chairman are also extremely powerful because due to the limited number of members, they basically all serve on all the committees and the need each other's support.

Here's a pic of the State Senate map:

What do you see?  I'll tell you what I see.  I see 4 districts that are automatically going to support Tech no matter what.  (19, 28, 29, and 31.)

Districts 14, 22, 24, and 25 in Central Texas are also likely to have significant support from UT or Baylor.

I haven't even touched on the districts in Dallas or Houston that may have a Senator with some sort of UT, Tech, or Baylor connection and I've already found 8 Senators that are probably going to shoot this down.

There ya go.....

56Hog

NWASooner

Quote from: 56Hog on August 15, 2011, 08:33:19 pm
College Station Overtaken with SEC Mania

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/44919/college-station-overtaken-with-sec-mania

QuoteThe aptly named Zach Salesman walks into Aggieland Outfitters, just off campus in the shadow of Kyle Field, proudly wearing a maroon shirt bearing the unofficial slogan of the Texas A&M fanbase: "SECede."

The fact that A&M is letting the aptly named Zach Salesman dictate long term university strategy is the primary reason they're a bunch of half wits.

Hoggish1

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 15, 2011, 08:00:50 pm

I don't want it.  But not wanting isn't going to keep it from happening.  It's simply a little drama in the middle of August.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkOpine on August 15, 2011, 08:43:39 pm
Let's be clear, GUV.  Folks are using terms loosely around here because they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

The Texas State Legislature doesn't have a damn thing to do with this process.  There is a BOARD chaired by Dan Branch called the House Higher Education Committee.  They get together every once in a while to discuss things like funding, grants and research money for their State Universities.

Today Brother Branch decided it's not in his best interest have a meeting tomorrow for reasons unknown.  Now this is just heresay, but Brother Branch seems to have some political ambitions.  I'm sure an endorsement from a potential US President had nothing to do with his decision to cancel the meeting, but once again that's just heresay.

Any fund cutting that board does HAS to be approved by the Texas legislature which (A) isn't in session and (B) isn't going to be called in session. They can recommend cutting funding but the Texas Legislature has to do the actual fund cutting and the Governor must sign it into law.

NWASooner

QuoteThe Texas legislature has made outrageous threats in the past, but it doesn't seem like anyone ever stopped and thought about it.

The Big 8 thought about it when it offered Baylor and Tech to become the Big 12.

Come on, people. Think a little.

NWASooner

QuoteAny fund cutting that board does HAS to be approved by the Texas legislature which (A) isn't in session and (B) isn't going to be called in session.

Are you STILL on this fact? 

How, then, did the Big 12 form in the first place when the Texas legislature wasn't even in session?

You're generally a really good poster here but you're totally hung up on whether or not the Texas legislature is technically in session and this is 100% irrelevant.  Let it go.

NWASooner

Quote from: Head Hawg on August 15, 2011, 08:55:10 pm
Even more interesting. You do realize we've come full circle since when I laid into you multiple time about the Big12 years ago. +1

Probably.  I've come to the realization that the Big 12 is boring but it is what it is.  I was OK with it when Nebraska was still there but not it's basically the SWC 3.0.

NWASooner

Quote from: NolanForAD on August 15, 2011, 08:58:21 pm
You are right.  But isn't it an idle threat anyway?   It would be a BIZZARE thing to actually do.

How do you think Baylor got into the Big 12?

Hoggish1

Quote from: 56Hog on August 15, 2011, 08:33:19 pm
College Station Overtaken with SEC Mania

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/44919/college-station-overtaken-with-sec-mania

I'm not in favor of expanding or bringing in aTm but I appreciate the article and their school's excitement for joining a real conference. SEC, SEC, SEC...

It really doesn't matter what I want, anyhow.  If this comes down it will be for one reason and one reason only, which is to get all those extra millions of sets putting the eyes of Texas upon us.

The remaining schools in TX, the rest of the former Big 12 and their Whoreny evil master will rue the day the SEC got its foot in the door to showcase its superior brand of football.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkOpine on August 15, 2011, 09:00:08 pm
And anyone thinking the SEC didn't slam on the brakes to avoid a tampering lawsuit is FOS.  The ACC got got sued for raiding the Big East and the stakes are much higher now.

They played it very smart and decided to let A&M make the first move (which they will do). That way they'll be no grounds for a lawsuit against the SEC.

PonderinHog

Loo$e Lip$ $ink $hip$   How about a little less talk and a lot more action?  Aggie Master Plan?  That made me LOL!