Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alex Wood-How will he fit in?

Started by JIHawg, January 04, 2006, 08:23:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

Alex Wood was recommended to Houston Nutt by Jimmy Johnson.  The rest is supposedly history.  Alex Wood has been around. He has a history.  He's been fired a few times.  He's had some highlights in coaching.  He's been about everywhere, and right now, he's nowhere.  He needs a job.  Maybe that's why Jimmie recommended him-thinking more of Woods than Nutt or the Hog program, which I haven't seen any evidence that there is great affection from Jimmy in recent years.  Jimmy was pretty upset at Frank in the 80's for not hiring him.  I can't imagine that he has that much affection for Nutt, with the little time they spent together.  So I would take this recommendation with a grain of salt.

Still, on paper, it may have great possibilities for future prospective NFL quarterbacks, if we recruit any of those, and for the program.  This guy has been around and has NFL connections.

First thing-Wood is not a typical Nutt yes man.  Far from it.  He has been outspoken in black coaches affairs over his career.  A 1991 quote about black coaches not getting opportunities "the issue is with athletic directors and presidents.  It's institutional racism."  This guy isn't going to buckle down to loud mouth Markuson.  I see that as all good.  The character of this staff may be changing from a bunch of sycophant yes men to a staff of men who will call it like they see it.  I'm surprised Nutt considered this guy.  He doesn't fit the mold.  The times they may be changing.   

He has been a head coach at James Madison in the 90's for a few years, so he knows how to carry himself, what's involved, such as recruiting, keeping boosters happy, all that.  His college head coaching career wasn't all that stellar, so, on 03/15/99, he joined the Minnisota Vikings as quarterback coach.  We've all heard about his success with Dante Culpepper.  This from Greg Easterback writing for Slate Magazine in 2001 

"Covert coach of the year award-Quarterbacks-Alex Wood, Mn, Yes, Daunte Culpepper is gifted, but it's been shown that gifted QB's can be turned into towers of compressed sawdust by bad coaching.  Alex Wood is destined to become a head coach again."

What about the man's style-will it match with Gus' high octane no-huddle?  Here's a blurb from a broshure of the American Football Coaches Association meeting in November, 2001:

"Every team preaches the need for a two minute drill, but few possess one.  The Vikings have one of the most efficient in the NFL.  Learn why and how."  By Alex Wood.

Ron Prince, the new head coach of Kansas State, was an offensive line coach for Alex at James Madison.  In describing Prince, these are the words Woods used:  "They'll be on the cutting edge on offence.  They'll score points.  I'm sure he's a risk taker to a degree.  I think you'll find him exciting."   This was quoted in a tone of approval, understand.

Yeah, he'll likely fit right in with Gus.   They may have just been made for each other.

The Airzona Cardinal's experience under Green must have been awful.  They were so desparate Emmet Smith was their starting running back, at the twilight of his career.  They had nothing on offense, and Green needed a scapegoat.  Thus, Alex has been out of coaching for a year.

His career has been a succession of ups and downs, like a lot of peoples.  That's the nature of the coaching business.  Lets hope he and his wife fit right in in Fayettenam, that he's finally found a home.  It has great possibilities.

HogISH™

great writeup w/ nice research.

positive karma!

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

ArkansasI

Let's get him hired and put him to work.

When is the press conference?

idochog

Quote from: ArkansasI on January 04, 2006, 09:35:27 am
Let's get him hired and put him to work.

When is the press conference?

Will HDN be able to pronoune his name correctly, LOL
I love Jesus!

Thrilbilly