Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USC Going For Repeat Not ThreePeat

Started by AlmightyHog, January 04, 2006, 08:21:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AlmightyHog

The last I heard the BCS as crappy as it is picks the national champion not a bunch of sports writers. It is the system we have ,as flawed as it may be it is the one and only one that matters right now. Not that I care if USC  or Texas wins this game but it just annoys me to hear people talk about USC going for three in a row because it just is not true. Everyone agreed to use the BCS so you can not just abandon it whenever you feel like and vote for somenone else. Sorry needed to get that off my chest.

Lanny

USC won the last two national championships.  Any game that ZeroU plays in after a thrashing to Kansas State is NOT a national championship game.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Chief Mac

Quote from: hSv on January 04, 2006, 08:43:19 am
USC won the last two national championships. Any game that ZeroU plays in after a thrashing to Kansas State is NOT a national championship game.

I agree that USC should have played LSU in the BCS Championship game in 2003, however LSU did win that game and it is the game that counts until someone comes to their senses.

2003 Nat Champ  - LSU
2004 Nat Champ  - USC
2005 Nat Champ  - ??

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

HighOnHogs

Auburns team last year would have beat USC.  That should have been the game that was played.  I hate the BCS.  The greatest sports in America (College Football) ends with an NIT every year.  Makes me sick.

berryhog

Quote from: HighOnHogs on January 04, 2006, 08:53:31 am
Auburns team last year would have beat USC. That should have been the game that was played. I hate the BCS. The greatest sports in America (College Football) ends with an NIT every year. Makes me sick.

I don't think there is any chance Auburn would have stayed close to USC.  However, they definitely deserved the opportunity to play in that game rather than OU.

HogFather

With that said then one could say their is no chance the 2003 USC team could stay close to LSU....so it's a repeat.

HogFather

USC won the last two national championships. Any game that ZeroU plays in after a thrashing to Kansas State is NOT a national championship game.

Not LSwho's fault they played pooper sooner instead of USC.

mtpockets

January 04, 2006, 10:37:29 am #7 Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 10:42:40 am by mtpockets
Quote from: GaRZRBCK on January 04, 2006, 08:49:38 am

I agree that USC should have played LSU in the BCS Championship game in 2003, however LSU did win that game and it is the game that counts until someone comes to their senses.

2003 Nat Champ  - LSU
2004 Nat Champ  - USC
2005 Nat Champ  - ??

WPS

Chris

Preach it brother.  How is this so hard to figure out for some people?  It should be against the law to say this is a USC three-peat.  Defamation of LSU or whatnot.  Honestly, if you use the argument that USC huggers use then Auburn was National Champs last year because Golf Digest voted them so.  The AP was part of the BCS the year USC was left out and even with the AP's input the computers said USC was the third man out.  I didn't agree at the time nor now, but that was what was agreed upon before the year started and you can't change the rules mid-season.  I didn't hear USC complain that they were only Co-champions when Auburn was left out of the mix but won their bowl game.

Tomhog™

You know the announcers and sportscasters are just trying to romanticize the USC team to make them larger than life.  It's really quite pathetic the means they use to pump up a team... :puke:

pikehog

Wrong, when writers and polls get to Crown a Natty Champ, then there can be a split one, as there was 3 years ago.

It's a threepeat.

You also probably don't think Tiger got a grand slam by winning all the majors one after the other.

You think that since it wasn't in one calendar year it doesn't count.

You are a moron.

Chief Mac

Quote from: pikehog on January 04, 2006, 10:45:25 am
Wrong, when writers and polls get to Crown a Natty Champ, then there can be a split one, as there was 3 years ago.

It's a threepeat.

You also probably don't think Tiger got a grand slam by winning all the majors one after the other.

You are a moron.

Negative, Tiger did get the Slam but LSU was 2003 Nat Champ.  In fact they have the "ADT National Champion" Trophy to prove it.

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

mtpockets

It's a threepeat.

You are a moron.

I will disagree with you, but I will not call you a moron.  USC was the AP champ.  LSU was the recognized BCS National Champions.

Tiger (possibly the greatest golfer ever) did not get a grand slam.  There are rules and he did not satisfy them.  That is why they called it a Tiger Slam. 

WILL CLINTON

The fact is that no team has won or shared 3 straight National Championships.  USC has a chance to become the first to win OR SHARE 3 straight National Championships. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

WILL CLINTON

Going by the logic here, Arkansas doesn't have a National Championship then, right?  You guys are muddying the National Championship waters here, and they were pretty muddy before this. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

mtpockets

Quote from: dubyacee on January 04, 2006, 11:37:14 am
Going by the logic here, Arkansas doesn't have a National Championship then, right?  You guys are muddying the National Championship waters here, and they were pretty muddy before this. 

Don't know all the facts about ours.  If we did not win the accepted championship game then no we do not have one, but I think that history bears out that when we won ours there was no BCS set up to fix this co-champion mixup.

Chief Mac

Quote from: mtpockets on January 04, 2006, 11:55:18 am
Going by the logic here, Arkansas doesn't have a National Championship then, right? You guys are muddying the National Championship waters here, and they were pretty muddy before this.

Don't know all the facts about ours. If we did not win the accepted championship game then no we do not have one, but I think that history bears out that when we won ours there was no BCS set up to fix this co-champion mixup.

All the "BCS" conference bigwigs agreed to the Bowl Championship Series.  USC is part of the Pac-10 which is a BCS conference.  They agreed that the BCS championship game would crown the TRUE national champ and now that it doesn't suit them they change the rules....Nope don't think so.

WPS

Chris

HogFather

It's a threepeat.

You are a moron.

Okay then.  If you are going to recognize the split national champ., then you need to recognize it when you speak of it.  The problem is I don't hear anybody saying..."USC going for an Associated Press Three-peat and a BCS back-to-back."
If you are splitting the NC, then LSwho deserves credit.  You are wrong if you say USC three-peat, because they didn't get the crown from the BCS.  I will agree with you and call them the Three-time AP champions....though I doubt their t-shirts they put on after the game will show it.

HogFather

Going by the logic here, Arkansas doesn't have a National Championship then, right? You guys are muddying the National Championship waters here, and they were pretty muddy before this.
The problem with ours is that they named a NC before the bowl games, we won our bowl and Alabama (who we shared with) lost their bowl game.  So Alabama's 64' NC is by far more mythical than ours.