Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now hopefully the Charlie Weiss "LOVEFEST" will finally end

Started by BigoBoys, January 02, 2006, 07:10:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigoBoys

They don't play in a conference!  How does anyone know how good they are?

Zen_Hog

They played down teh wire with USC, the best team in the nation.

dmhog v2.0

Their opponents and their record:

September 3   at No. 23 Pittsburgh    W 42-21   1-0   
September 10   at No. 3 Michigan    W 17-10   2-0   
September 17   Michigan State    L 44-41   2-1   NBC
September 24   at Washington    W 36-17   3-1   
October 1   at No. 22 Purdue    W 49-28   4-1   
October 15   No. 1 USC    L 34-31   4-2   NBC
October 22   BYU    W 49-23   5-2   NBC
November 5   Tennessee    W 41-21   6-2   NBC
November 12   Navy    W 42-21   7-2   NBC
November 19   Syracuse    W 34-10   8-2   NBC
November 26   at Stanford    W 38-31   9-2   
January 2   vs No. 4 Ohio State    Losing 24-13   -   

BigoBoys

We played USC too!  Played alot more rated teams than they did? 

BigoBoys

Pittsburgh wouldn't be #23 today, Michigan wouldn't be #3 today, and Purdue wouldn't be number 22 today.  Who have they played other than USC? 

Tejano Jawg

ND is pretty good. Great QB. But The Ohio State's defense is smothering them.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

dmhog v2.0

QuoteWe played USC too!  Played alot more rated teams than they did?

We didn't win over ranked teams. Notre Dame did.

BigoBoys

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 02, 2006, 07:18:49 pm
QuoteWe played USC too! Played alot more rated teams than they did?

We didn't win over ranked teams. Notre Dame did.
What ranked team did they beat?

dmhog v2.0

Pittsburg, Michigan, Purdue were all ranked at the time they played them. That's how the system works. You beat a ranked team, you move up. You keep winning and you won't drop in the polls. It doesn't matter if the team you beat previously is no longer ranked if you still are winning. Your win over them while they were ranked put you in the position in the polls you are currently at. They beat 3 teams that were ranked at the time, and almost beat the number one team in the country. That got them ranked very high, therefore putting them in the BCS game you are watching now.

Any thing else I can help with?

BigoBoys

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 02, 2006, 07:23:17 pm
Pittsburg, Michigan, Purdue were all ranked at the time they played them. That's how the system works. You beat a ranked team, you move up. You keep winning and you won't drop in the polls. It doesn't matter if the team you beat previously is no longer ranked if you still are winning. Your win over them while they were ranked put you in the position in the polls you are currently at. They beat 3 teams that were ranked at the time, and almost beat the number one team in the country. That got them ranked very high, therefore putting them in the BCS game you are watching now.

Any thing else I can help with?
Rankings matter at the end of the year not in September!  Help me with this! 

dmhog v2.0

But you asked who they beat that was ranked. Well, Michigan, Purdue and PIttsburg were ranked. Notre Dame beat them. Therefore, Notre Dame beat 3 ranked opponents. Is it that hard?

BigoBoys

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 02, 2006, 07:27:48 pm
But you asked who they beat that was ranked. Well, Michigan, Purdue and PIttsburg were ranked. Notre Dame beat them. Therefore, Notre Dame beat 3 ranked opponents. Is it that hard?
I didn't ask when they were ranked.  If you look at the rankings NOW(when it counts) they've played nobody other than USC.  We were ranked three years ago.  Not Hard! 

dmhog v2.0

When they played them, they were ranked. Therefore, they beat a ranked team. Three of them. That's what you asked. You asked which ranked teams did they beat. Not which teams are ranked now. Technically, they beat 3 ranked teams. Am I wrong? No.

BigoBoys

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 02, 2006, 07:36:58 pm
When they played them, they were ranked. Therefore, they beat a ranked team. Three of them. That's what you asked. You asked which ranked teams did they beat. Not which teams are ranked now. Technically, they beat 3 ranked teams. Am I wrong? No.
I am guessing that you are a ND fan(I might be wrong).  That is the only reason that you are defending their weak schedule.  Compare their schedule to ours? 

dude

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 02, 2006, 07:27:48 pm
None of those teams are ranked today. Notre Dame is ALWAYS over rated. It was great to see them get slapped around tonight.

dmhog v2.0

If I was a Notre Dame fan, why would I be here? I'm not defending their schedule. I'm just pointing out the obvious. You asked a question. I answered it. You compared Notre Dame's schedule to ours. The answer is simply that Notre Dame won football games. Their schedule may be weak (it isn't) but at least they won their games. We didn't. You're wondering why they're playing in this bowl game. They have a very good record. They defeated 3 ranked teams. They played the 2-time defending national champions tougher than anyone has in almost 3 years. That's why.

For the record, I hate them with a passion. I hate Ohio State with a passion. I hate them both.

snoutface

Looks like Charlie needs to get him a defense if ND is going to get serious about a NC.
Sometimes it's better for me to be quiet and let everybody believe I'm dumb as dirt, than to speak up and prove it.

BigoBoys

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 02, 2006, 07:46:34 pm
If I was a Notre Dame fan, why would I be here? I'm not defending their schedule. I'm just pointing out the obvious. You asked a question. I answered it. You compared Notre Dame's schedule to ours. The answer is simply that Notre Dame won football games. Their schedule may be weak (it isn't) but at least they won their games. We didn't. You're wondering why they're playing in this bowl game. They have a very good record. They defeated 3 ranked teams. They played the 2-time defending national champions tougher than anyone has in almost 3 years. That's why.

For the record, I hate them with a passion. I hate Ohio State with a passion. I hate them both.
I didn't ask a question, I made a statement that since they don't play in a conference how does anyone know how good they really are. Wished we could have played some of the teams they played instead of Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Alabama and South Carolina(all bowl teams). 

Squealers

BOB is right!  ND is overrated.
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

herepiggiepiggie

Based upon ND's schedule and todays performance, they shouldn't be ranked at all.

dmhog v2.0

QuoteWhat ranked team did they beat?

That, my friend, is a question.

hawgfan_18

you can't say ND is overrated. they came into the season not even ranked and finished the season 9-3 ranked in the top 10, played USC down to the wire and lost to a very good Ohio State team who was given a few breaks. especially the Fumbled return for a TD by ND that got called back because of some bull.  ND is NOT overrated. they overachieved if anything.

PulledPork

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 02, 2006, 07:46:34 pm

only disagree with one thing.....Fresno St. played them just as tough in USC home!

BigoBoys

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 02, 2006, 08:25:33 pm

OK they beat Michigan who is number 20 today, but will not be after being beat by Nebraska who is not rated so if you look at it after next week they beat NO ONE!

mikeirwin

January 02, 2006, 08:38:42 pm #24 Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 08:45:30 pm by mikeirwin
Quote from: BigoBoys on January 02, 2006, 07:14:05 pm
We played USC too! Played alot more rated teams than they did?
I'm not sure what you mean. The Hogs TRIED to play USC. That comparison alone ought to convince you that Notre Dame is pretty good.

Big Dog

Who has Notre Dame beat that was any good? Is it Navy , Stanford, or Tennessee. No they haven't beat anybody. Get real!!!!

BigoBoys

Notre Dame played USC in South Bend, no comparison.  MY POINT is that they are overrated. 

michaelf

I remember a couple of months ago there was a post regarding everyones number two team after the hogs. There were a lot of people saying their #2 team was Notre Dame. I am one of those ever since Lou Holtz left Arkansas and landed there. There are a lot of Arkansas fans who hated to see Lou go and that still like him. I am one of them. Also since we never had to play Notre Dame it was easy to like them. Now, since all the talk has turned to Mitch wanting to go there everyone seems to be down on Notre Dame. I still like them and just because we suck and Mitch is interested in going there I'm not going to hold that against them. They have made real changes to bring a national title with a top notch staff. I only hope that Uncle Frank and his Murray State ass clowns can one day turn our program around like Notre Dame.    GO HOGS!

BigoBoys

You're dealling with semantics.  Deal with the first statement.  ND is overrated!

HawgWyld

Quote from: BigoBoys on January 02, 2006, 07:40:20 pm
I am guessing that you are a ND fan(I might be wrong). That is the only reason that you are defending their weak schedule. Compare their schedule to ours?

Are you seriously trying to compare Notre Dame to Arkansas? Are you sure you want to do that, given their history and the past 20 years or so the Hogs have stumbled along? Think about it. The Razorbacks finished up 4-7 and the program is complete chaos, whereas Notre Dame is obviously on the mend after a couple of down years.

We ought to be advocating that the Razorbacks should play up to the level of superior programs like Notre Dame rather than dismissing them as being overrated. By the way, South Bend isn't exactly a garden spot, but that sure as hell didn't stop them from building one of the most storied football programs in the nation there. There was none of that, "Oh, what good players want to go to school here?" nonsense. We could learn from that.

BigoBoys

Quote from: HawgWyld on January 02, 2006, 09:31:02 pm
I am guessing that you are a ND fan(I might be wrong). That is the only reason that you are defending their weak schedule. Compare their schedule to ours?

Are you seriously trying to compare Notre Dame to Arkansas? Are you sure you want to do that, given their history and the past 20 years or so the Hogs have stumbled along? Think about it. The Razorbacks finished up 4-7 and the program is complete chaos, whereas Notre Dame is obviously on the mend after a couple of down years.

We ought to be advocating that the Razorbacks should play up to the level of superior programs like Notre Dame rather than dismissing them as being overrated. By the way, South Bend isn't exactly a garden spot, but that sure as hell didn't stop them from building one of the most storied football programs in the nation there. There was none of that, "Oh, what good players want to go to school here?" nonsense. We could learn from that.
I am not comparing them to anyone, didn't say that Hogs better than them.    MY STATEMENT is that they are overrated!  Did you look at their schedule? 

HawgWyld

Quote from: BigoBoys on January 02, 2006, 09:48:48 pm
Quote from: HawgWyld on January 02, 2006, 09:31:02 pm

I am not comparing them to anyone, didn't say that Hogs better than them. MY STATEMENT is that they are overrated! Did you look at their schedule?

Sure, and I'm saying that we Hogs fans ought not dismiss Notre Dame as overrated. There's been a lot of that talk since the possibility has popped up that Mustain might go to Notre Dame rather than Arkansas. Without that happening, I doubt we'd here much about how overrated Notre Dame is. My point is, we ought to ask ourselves why that program is held in such high esteem rather than saying, "Ah, they're not that good. Look at that schedule!"

Notre Dame is a big-time program. Arkansas is not. I fully believe Arkansas could be a top-notch program one day, but we're not going to get there until we take a critical look at the differences between us and them.

Thrilbilly

ND,,,Eighth Straight Bowl Loss,,,Bottom Line!!

BruceSwinesteen

ND is overrated by the TV networks and bowl officials.  8 straight loses makes the point that ND goes to better bowls than their on the field performance warrants.  TV and bowls see great tv ratings and butts in the seats.  The problem for the team is they get matched up with teams that have better players and play in tough conferences.

Thrilbilly

January 02, 2006, 10:44:47 pm #34 Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 10:47:06 pm by Thrilbilly
Quote from: BruceSwinesteen on January 02, 2006, 10:38:51 pm
ND is overrated by the TV networks and bowl officials. 8 straight loses makes the point that ND goes to better bowls than their on the field performance warrants. TV and bowls see great tv ratings and butts in the seats. The problem for the team is they get matched up with teams that have better players and play in tough conferences.

Ditto
Another thing, Catholics all over the US are pulling for them. That gives them more exposure because more people are talking about you. Then,,,Here come the bowl games.

3kgthog

They only beat three teams with winning records. Two of those being Navy and BYU. Enough said.

Oh, and that fumble you say ND got screwed on, well it wasn't a fumble. The WR never had control. Look at the replay. 

Hogster18

GrizzledHogFan

Yes, ND is probably slightly overrated, but what's your point?  They're still much better than the Hogs are right now.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

The_Bionic_Pig

January 03, 2006, 10:30:42 am #38 Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 10:33:36 am by Woo_Pig_Stewie
ND goes 9-3 and on paper that looks fairly respectable. The media hails him as a genius, guru and great coach. He even gets voted for coach of year.

Now let's look at the facts. Weis still has not beat a quality opponent. He has not beaten a ranked team. He lost his 1st two homes games. He lost to a non bowl team that lost 6 games. He almost got beat by Stanford, a team that lost to a Div 1aa opponent. He again lost a Bowl game, ND's 8th. He lost this bowl game convincingly. If OSU does not make TO's and has blocked field goals it would have been much uglier. ND had no TO's yet was getting killed and outcoached.

What has Weis done that Tyrone Willingham would not have done? CW had the entire offense return,  which is not his fault, but he honestly did not accomplish much and is given way too much credit. And then to makes things even worse, Weis gets caught on camera last night repeatedly dropping "F" bombs. Was that a reflection on his ND Catholic education?

Did you know that Brady Quinn set Irish freshman records for passing yards, completions and attempts during coach Willingham's tenure.

My point being Charlie Weiss is the Les Miles (Nick Saban) of Notre Dame inheriting Tyrone Willingham's talent/recruits and suddenly being hailed as the second coming of Knute Rockne as did Houston Dale Nutt during the 98'- 99 season.

Rant over!!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

noprayerfornutt

Their days with Charlie are numbered.  He'll be in the NFL within 2 years.

hogsanity

THe affair will end when Charlie leaves ND.  THey got just what anyone who watched them much knew they would get.  Another crummy defensive performance.  Even Stanford hung around 30 on them.  In a way they were like Texas Tech, if they needed their D to win the game, they could not get it done.  Only difference is the media is completely blinded by their love for the ND program, and could not care less about TT.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogs4Ever

ND didn't deserve to be in the BCS but of course get in because they're ND.

Weiss didn't look good  in that game and neither did ND.  I don't think there is much question as to whether Quinn will be back for his senior season.

Weiss is not the Holy Grail of Football.  I think MM will see this now.

pikehog

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 03, 2006, 10:30:42 am
ND goes 9-3 and on paper that looks fairly respectable. The media hails him as a genius, guru and great coach. He even gets voted for coach of year.

Now let's look at the facts. Weis still has not beat a quality opponent. He has not beaten a ranked team. He lost his 1st two homes games. He lost to a non bowl team that lost 6 games. He almost got beat by Stanford, a team that lost to a Div 1aa opponent. He again lost a Bowl game, ND's 8th. He lost this bowl game convincingly. If OSU does not make TO's and has blocked field goals it would have been much uglier. ND had no TO's yet was getting killed and outcoached.

What has Weis done that Tyrone Willingham would not have done? CW had the entire offense return,  which is not his fault, but he honestly did not accomplish much and is given way too much credit. And then to makes things even worse, Weis gets caught on camera last night repeatedly dropping "F" bombs. Was that a reflection on his ND Catholic education?

Did you know that Brady Quinn set Irish freshman records for passing yards, completions and attempts during coach Willingham's tenure.

My point being Charlie Weiss is the Les Miles (Nick Saban) of Notre Dame inheriting Tyrone Willingham's talent/recruits and suddenly being hailed as the second coming of Knute Rockne as did Houston Dale Nutt during the 98'- 99 season.

Rant over!!!

Let's not forget that but for an illegal play that the officals were to chickenpoop to throw a flag on for fear of ending USC's impressive run, they would have ended undefeated streak........

Because for as great as Reggie Bush is, pushing your quarterback is against the rules.

Do you guys really think that Arkansas is better than ND?

Hell Nutt and UA looked horrible all season and could not even make it to a bowl.

3kgthog

That's just another reason why the BCS is a joke. The NCAA requires every other team to split the money with their conference while ND gets to keep every last dime. There's no way in hell that is fair to everyone else. There should be a requirement that you must play in a conference to be in the BCS.

The only thing that could make me feel better than seeing ND lose is seeing USC hang 60+ on Texas. But, I get the feeling I'm not going to get that lucky two times so early in the new year.

hogsanity

Illegal play?  Oh the one where Bush pushed the QB into the EZ?  If they start calling that every time it happens half the goal line plays will get called back.  Maybe ND could have not given up a 40+ yd play on 4th and long with a minute left against USC.  But that would have required ND to play defense, and they had trouble with that all year long.  Dont forget, they lost, at home, to a Mich St team that did not make a bowl game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

pikehog

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 03, 2006, 11:02:31 am
That's just another reason why the BCS is a joke. The NCAA requires every other team to split the money with their conference while ND gets to keep every last dime. There's no way in hell that is fair to everyone else. There should be a requirement that you must play in a conference to be in the BCS.

The only thing that could make me feel better than seeing ND lose is seeing USC hang 60+ on Texas. But, I get the feeling I'm not going to get that lucky two times so early in the new year.

Hey life's not fair, usually when someone talks about something not being fair, it's because they are jealous?

DukeOfPork

January 03, 2006, 11:10:18 am #46 Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 01:07:22 pm by PorkPariah
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 03, 2006, 10:30:42 am

Does anyone else see the parallel between Weis and Nutt?

Weis and Nutt both came into a once proud program that had fallen on difficult times and immediately rattled off a heck of a win streak with the previous coach's players.

Weis ALMOST beat USC (possibly this year's national champ) but lost on a flukey play or two.  Nutt ALMOST beat the national champ (Tennessee) in his first year but lost on a fluke play with a minute or so left to play.

Weis took the previous season's QB and made him look like a star.  Nutt took the previous season's QB and made him look like a star.

Weis finished the season 9-2.  Nutt finished the season 9-2.

Weis lost his bowl game to a better team to end at 9-3.  Nutt lost his bowl game to a better team to end at 9-3.

Pretty damn similar if you ask me.  I do personally think that Weis is probably a solid coach, but there are enough similarities between his first season and Nutt's first season to make you at least wonder.

I'd say it is obvious that the jury is still out on Weis.

pikehog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2006, 11:05:48 am
Illegal play? Oh the one where Bush pushed the QB into the EZ? If they start calling that every time it happens half the goal line plays will get called back. Maybe ND could have not given up a 40+ yd play on 4th and long with a minute left against USC. But that would have required ND to play defense, and they had trouble with that all year long. Dont forget, they lost, at home, to a Mich St team that did not make a bowl game.

Then they should either pull that rule out or enforce it, if have comeback then they will quit doing it.

Or maybe we should stop penalizing people for late hits, I would enjoy football more if that rule weren't enforced.

The_Bionic_Pig

January 03, 2006, 11:12:30 am #48 Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 11:14:11 am by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: pikehog on January 03, 2006, 10:59:46 am

Let's not forget that but for an illegal play that the officals were to chickenpoop to throw a flag on for fear of ending USC's impressive run, they would have ended undefeated streak........

Because for as great as Reggie Bush is, pushing your quarterback is against the rules.

And if Clint Stoener doesn't fumble in the last 2 minutes of the Tennessee Game in Knoxville Arkansas is probably in the Fiesta Bowl - what is the difference.

Do you guys really think that Arkansas is better than ND?

Hell no not even close, The Irish are on another level - even though they turned into Texas Tech (pass all the time -3 step drop) in or to move the ball .

Hell Nutt and UA looked horrible all season and could not even make it to a bowl.
I agree all the way up until the South Carolina Game when Casey Dick made his first start.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogsanity

Just like the rest of upper level d1 FB, it is all about $$$$$$$$$$.  Nd brings big crowds and big ratings, plain and simple.  THey will almost always be ranked pre season top 20, which makes it easier for them to get into the bcs, even losing 2 games, than it is for most teams to only lose 1 and make it.  Plus, with no conference title to play for, they do not have to worry about someone else taking thir automatic bid like in the SEC or Big 12 or the ACC this year witha 7-4 FSU team getting the ACC bid.