Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alex Wood-head shot

Started by acsrazorback, January 03, 2006, 11:11:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

acsrazorback

Per Hawgs Illustrated, Alex Wood will be named QB coach and recruiting coordinator as early as tomorrow.  He was bringing his wife with him this week to look around.  I think that it is a good hire.  he is a former head coach in college as well as an assistant at some big name scholls.  He was the position coach for Chad Johnson in Cincy at the position coach for Duante Culpepper in Minnesota. 

HogISH™

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

WxHog

Good news.   Sounds like a good hire to me, as he has NFL experience.   Most importantly, MM needs to think that it is a good hire. 

corndo

berryhog

I wonder, given his extremely late start in recruiting, if he will only recruit the players who are still showing interest ?  Or will he also try to land some of the recruits he had contact with during his camps who maybe were not showing us much interest ? 

Porky OLeary

I hope it's a good hire.
Way to drag it out nutt. Good job! Guy being unemployed and all.

Thehammer

Quote from: Porky OLeary on January 03, 2006, 04:37:14 pm
I hope it's a good hire.
Way to drag it out nutt. Good job! Guy being unemployed and all.

It hasn't helped recruiting either. 

Holy City Hog

Guys, I enjoy reading this board. Quality info for the most part. Definitely appreciate the desire to hear facts & the truth - no matter how unpleasant.  That being said here are some facts on Alex Wood. IMO we're getting a solid ast coach who knows techniques & fundamentals. You can't fake 26 yrs of experience.  However . . .

AW was fired after 1 yr as OC in AZ. Team sources said he was in over his head as OC.
Chad Johnson was well on his way to being a stud in Cincy before AW arrived in '03. CJ caught 69 balls the yr before on an awful team.  Don't give AW much credit for CJ's current success.  Same goes for Duante Culpepper.  Len Pasquarelli, a credible NFL source, said back in ’02 that DC had regressed “particularly in terms of his overall decision-making” during 2 yrs in which Wood coached Minn QB’s.  From 2001-02, DC threw more INT’s than TD’s (36-32) & fumbled 49 times.  Pasquarelli said for a QB w/ such big-play potential, DC was inconsistent & underachieving during those 2 yrs.  AW's head coaching experience was at D-II James Madison. His record was 23-22. Made one playoff appearance & lost.
I would hardly day AW adds "stability" since his longest tenure at one stop is 4 yrs. Ark is his 4th stop in 5 yrs.

It's alarming that a guy who hasn't coached college kids in 7 yrs is about to be named as "Recruiting Coordinator"  Convincing 17 yr olds to come to Fay is very different than coaching professional men.  AW may fit in nicely w/ the staff in place, but his resume suggests he's not the recruiting stud or offensive wizard we all wished we were getting. I'm afraid this hire will not dramatically impact next yr.

sowmonella

Gus is our offense wizard. Wood gives us an NFLexperience  presence. The recruiting title may be to justify a higher salary. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

berryhog

Quote from: Rookie on January 03, 2006, 05:39:08 pm
That being said here are some facts on Alex Wood. IMO we're getting a solid ast coach who knows techniques & fundamentals. You can't fake 26 yrs of experience.   

Isn't this all we could ask for ?

WILL CLINTON

Isn't this the guy that when asked if he could recruit to Fayetteville said, "I used to recruit kids to Wisconsin, from Detroit.  Recruiting kids here should be easy?"  I haven't been able to keep up that much, so I can't really keep track of which coach said what and which coach is which.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Donald Miller

Quote from: dubyacee on January 03, 2006, 06:14:52 pm
Isn't this the guy that when asked if he could recruit to Fayetteville said, "I used to recruit kids to Wisconsin, from Detroit. Recruiting kids here should be easy?" I haven't been able to keep up that much, so I can't really keep track of which coach said what and which coach is which.

That would be him.

razorback4life

Guys, I enjoy reading this board. Quality info for the most part. Definitely appreciate the desire to hear facts & the truth - no matter how unpleasant.  That being said here are some facts on Alex Wood. IMO we're getting a solid ast coach who knows techniques & fundamentals. You can't fake 26 yrs of experience.  However . . .

AW was fired after 1 yr as OC in AZ. Team sources said he was in over his head as OC.
Chad Johnson was well on his way to being a stud in Cincy before AW arrived in '03. CJ caught 69 balls the yr before on an awful team.  Don't give AW much credit for CJ's current success. Same goes for Duante Culpepper.  Len Pasquarelli, a credible NFL source, said back in '02 that DC had regressed "particularly in terms of his overall decision-making" during 2 yrs in which Wood coached Minn QB's.  From 2001-02, DC threw more INT's than TD's (36-32) & fumbled 49 times.  Pasquarelli said for a QB w/ such big-play potential, DC was inconsistent & underachieving during those 2 yrs. AW's head coaching experience was at D-II James Madison. His record was 23-22. Made one playoff appearance & lost.
I would hardly day AW adds "stability" since his longest tenure at one stop is 4 yrs. Ark is his 4th stop in 5 yrs.

It's alarming that a guy who hasn't coached college kids in 7 yrs is about to be named as "Recruiting Coordinator"  Convincing 17 yr olds to come to Fay is very different than coaching professional men.  AW may fit in nicely w/ the staff in place, but his resume suggests he's not the recruiting stud or offensive wizard we all wished we were getting. I'm afraid this hire will not dramatically impact next yr.

If you realize who he is replacing as RC and consider what we were currently doing with recruiting....Wood is a definite improvement.

Boarcephus

Since 2000, Herring has been to Clemson, Houston Texans, NC State, and now here.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 03, 2006, 06:25:20 pm
Since 2000, Herring has been to Clemson, Houston Texans, NC State, and now here.

Herring did a decent job this year with what he has.  Someone think abut when you mention weapons on this team, how many were defensive?  I mean you think Monk, Hillis, DMac, Jones, then defensively i was like uhhhh.....  There are some yea but Herring had an uphill battle to go. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on January 03, 2006, 06:48:21 pm
Herring did a decent job this year with what he has. Someone think abut when you mention weapons on this team, how many were defensive? I mean you think Monk, Hillis, DMac, Jones, then defensively i was like uhhhh..... There are some yea but Herring had an uphill battle to go.

The thing that is encouraging to me is that Herring seems to know exactly the type of player he needs and wants and I believe he has his bluff in on Nutt.  Nutt made a comment shortly after he named Gus the new OC where he said he'll have more time to get involved in other phases of the game but said he would stay out of Reggies way.  That spoke a mouthful to me. 

I think there needs to be some checks and balances regarding who is offered because I question Nutt's ability to judge talent and adapt it to what our needs are.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

tophawg19

culpepper made the probowl with wood as his coach . his problem at arizona was the same as everybody else no talent except at wide reciever . nobody has any sucess there . d green never gave him the chance to do anything at arizona . it wasn't his fault as this year proved . he was recruiting to wyoming not wisconsin . getting black kids to go to wyoming is impressive that is like getting them to join the KKK . it would be about as easy . city kids going there , talk about culture shock . with what woods said about with all ark. had going for it recruiting nationally should be easy sold me on giving the guy a try.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Central_Tiger04

Isn't this the guy that when asked if he could recruit to Fayetteville said, "I used to recruit kids to Wisconsin, from Detroit. Recruiting kids here should be easy?" I haven't been able to keep up that much, so I can't really keep track of which coach said what and which coach is which.

Not Wisconsion:  Wyoming he said that he could recruit kid to Wyoming Damn!!!!

mikeirwin

January 03, 2006, 07:35:41 pm #18 Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 07:39:12 pm by mikeirwin

Chad Johnson was well on his way to being a stud in Cincy before AW arrived in '03. CJ caught 69 balls the yr before on an awful team.  Don't give AW much credit for CJ's current success. Same goes for Duante Culpepper.  Len Pasquarelli, a credible NFL source, said back in '02 that DC had regressed "particularly in terms of his overall decision-making" during 2 yrs in which Wood coached Minn QB's.  From 2001-02, DC threw more INT's than TD's (36-32) & fumbled 49 times.  Pasquarelli said for a QB w/ such big-play potential, DC was inconsistent & underachieving during those 2 yrs. AW's head coaching experience was at D-II James Madison. His record was 23-22. Made one playoff appearance & lost.

That's a good post. The truth is none of us know what Wood will bring to the table but at least this post looks at the facts.
Given the back to back losing seasons and the fact that this staff will probably be out next year if this team doesn't win means they weren't going to get somebody like Cutcliffe. A former NFL or college coordinator who has been fired or an up and coming QB coach at a mid major was pretty much what they were limited too.

TulsaHogFan

Mike I, any word on this?  Are you hearing anything to validate it or discount it?  Anytime frame are you thinking for a formal announcement?

Thehammer

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on January 03, 2006, 04:16:40 pm
I have read a lot about him lately... there is a really good link on him on the cardinals site... shows his stops, positions and tenors.

I think that he will greatly increase the confidence and stability on the hill.

Then why did Dennis Green fire him and no one else scooped him up? 

TulsaHogFan

Because right now, there are a lot of coaches without positions.  Most firings at least in the NFL happened two days ago.  Most people have not even identified who they want to interview.

For college coaches looking, most bowl contenders are just now getting done who would be able to pay for him to come.  Its a weird spot to be in and for us its working out great somehow.

mikeirwin

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on January 03, 2006, 07:36:20 pm
Mike I, any word on this? Are you hearing anything to validate it or discount it? Anytime frame are you thinking for a formal announcement?
Might happen tomorrow.
I sure wish they had given Randy Sanders another look. He had a pretty good track record until this season. Sounds like Phat Phil messed in Sanders' business and then blamed him when things didn't work.

Thrilbilly

Sanders made sense to me also. He should have some recruits he was working and also some good contacts in place.

HawgWild

I say give the guy an honest opportunity without passing judgement on him before he has even had the chance to represent the HOGS. NFL experience counts for something and at least he has coached and associated himself with some of the premier players in the NFL, not mention coaching at an extremely high level. I would also agree with an earlier post regarding the Arizona franchise. It's a wasteland of talent.

tophawg19

this guy can coach you don't get to be an nfl OC without being good . some people here kill me they accept a H.S coach with no college experience as a good hire yet doubt a proven college and NFL coach . go figure .

TulsaHawg

Can you really take the guy seriously when he makes comments like, ""I've done my homework on coach Nutt, too," Wood said. "The guy obviously has an outstanding reputation in the coaching profession. I think his record speaks for itself. He's come in there and done a great job and has it really primed there for a bright future, starting with this year coming up."

http://arkansas.scout.com/2/484800.html

I mean if he is making these type of comments, does he have any credibility? ;D

Come on now Pseudo, Wilson, and others, let's rip him apart.  You can't be happy with what he said.

tophawg19

with the young players and coaching changes things are looking good . i realize this is a nutt hugger S.M ASS COMMENT but he is right we have made positive changes .

BigPapaHawg

This a great hire, thank god for some good news!
WOO PIG

Oklahawg

This is a guy who, once fired, could let the buyout pay the bills. He can wait for the chance he wants. All the upheaval in the NFL right now may make it tough to get him, all of a sudden, because he might want to stay in the pros. If he's willing or motivated to be a college coach then lets consider the opportunity at UA for Woods:

1. he can go assist with the re-recruitment of MM, giving him a stud to work with for the next couple of years (no knock against Casey Dick, btw, just an obvious statement on MM).
2. he gets a two-year (probably) chance to refuel his resume.
3. Being named Recruiting Coordinator gets him some extra $$.
4. There's always a chance that he is aware of the UA scuttlebutt and would want to be in place for Butch Davis. If things go sour in 2006. No need to think that way, though.

I'm thrilled that we could screw this up and still get Gus and Wood.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HatfieldHog

Wow, Alert,  this guy must not listen to Chuck and Otis and Shaffer, who are emphatic that you can't recruit to Arkansas!  It will be interesting to hear their spin and back stroke on this one.

Ark. Media has been infected with homerism, it's a bad disease!     See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

raz96

Living in AZ (not a Cardinal fan) I can tell you Dennis Greene is getting raked over the coals.  If the Cardinal organization wasn't so cheap his contract would be bought out and he would be shopping for a job.  The reason I mention this is that last year (2004 season) I believe the Cardinals had the 8th ranked offense in the NFL and did pretty good with a young QB and rookie receivers.  This year, without Wood, they pretty much sucked.  Horrible play calling, bad QB play, etc. etc.  My point is I believe Wood was a scapegoat for Greene to deflect blame (sound familiar?).  I think Wood will be fine and we should give him a chance.  I'm not a Nutt Hugger but fact is fact - he is here and I am cautiously optimistic it will be a good tear.  As much as I want Nutt gone I want to see our program be what it used to be so I'm hoping for a great season with the new coaches in control and Nutt preparing himself for an AD role (that thought almost makes me cringe)
Desert redneck 😎

CorningHog

Don't underestimate Houston's contacts.  Yes, the situation may have been a little unpleasant as far as the two losing seasons and the fans wishing for Houston to be fired.  Just remember that JFB and Co., have contacts all thru the NFL and colleges and I would expect nothing less than them finding the best candidate available.

Jimmy Johnson is very respected and he gave this guy some "high marks" and I would think you don't stick in this business for 26 years if you have no talent. 

Alex Wood may not be the best at being a HC or he may have even been given no chance at success under Dennis Green.  Bad teams are still bad teams, no matter who is coaching.

I for one feel this guy is the "right" one.  Don't know why exactly, but from what I have heard him say, he knows what is going on.  I like his attitude for one!

Give this guy a chance and quit coming with the put downs.  We can put any kind of spin on any person if we wish to, the bottom line is that this man has a desire to join this staff and I would think it isn't to be another coach to go down with the "ship".  He obviously likes the opportunity and we may find out that in the end, it was a great choice!

Give it a chance!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

JIHawg

January 03, 2006, 11:54:40 pm #33 Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 12:00:24 am by JIHawg
Alex Wood was recommended to Houston Nutt by Jimmie Johnson.  The rest is supposedly history.  Alex Wood has been around. He has a history.  He's been fired a few times.  He's been about everywhere, and right now, he's nowhere.  He needs a job.  Maybe that's why Jimmie recommended him-thinking more of Woods than Nutt or the Hog program, which I haven't seen any evidence that there is great affection in recent years.  Jimmie was pretty upset at Frank in the 80's for not hiring him.  I can't imagine that he has that much affection for Nutt, with the little time they spent together.  So I would take this recommendation with a grain of salt.

Still, on paper, after a little research, it may have great possibilities for future prospective NFL quarterbacks, if we recruit any of those, and the program.  This guy has been around.

First thing-Wood is not a typical Nutt yes man.  Far from it.  He has been outspoken in black coaches affairs over his career.  A 1991 quote about black coaches not getting opportunities "the issue is with athletic directors and presidents.  It's institutional racism."  This guy isn't going to buckle down to loud mouth Markuson.  I see that as all good.  The character of this staff may be changing from a bunch of sycophant yes men to a staff of men who will call it like they see it.  I'm surprised Nutt considered this guy.  He doesn't fit the mold.  The times they may be changing.  

He has been a head coach at James Madison in the 90's for a few years, so he knows how to carry himself, what's involved, such as recruiting, keeping boosters happy, all that.  His college head coaching career wasn't all that stellar, so, on 03/15/99, he joined the Minnisota Vikings as quarterback coach.  We've all heard about his success with Dante Culpepper.  This from Greg Easterback writing for Slate Magazine in 2001 

"Covert coach of the year award-Quarterbacks-Alex Wood, Mn, Yes, Daunte Culpepper is gifted, but it's been shown that gifted QB's can be turned into towers of compressed sawdust by bad coaching.  Alex Wood is destined to become a head coach again."

What about the man's style-will it match with Gus' high octane no-huddle?  Here's a blurb from a broshure of the American Football Coaches Association meeting in November, 2001:

"Every team preaches the need for a two minute drill, but few possess one.  The Vikings have one of the most efficient in the NFL.  Learn why and how."  By Alex Wood.

Ron Prince, the new head coach of Kansas State, was an offensive line coach for Alex at James Madison.  In describing Prince, these are the words Woods used:  "They'll be on the cutting edge on offence.  They'll score points.  I'm sure he's a risk taker to a degree.  I think you'll find him exciting."   This was quoted in a tone of approval, understand.

Yeah, he'll likely fit right in with Gus.   They may have just been made for each other.

The Airzona Cardinal's experience under Green must have been awful.  They were so desparate Emmet Smith was their starting running back, at the twilight of his career.  They had nothing on offense, and Green needed a scapegoat.  Thus, Alex has been out of coaching for a year.

His career has been a succession of ups and downs, like a lot of peoples.  That's the nature of the coaching business.  Lets hope he and his wife fit right in in Fayettenam, that he's finally found a home.  It has great possibilities.

Marshfieldhog

It will be an interesting off season, Malzahn/Wood vs Markuson/Nutt boys. This has a look of another Frank hire, really doesn't fit the Nutt mold like you said. I really hope this is Nutt's last year and Davis gets hired next year, I hope you guys are right about if Nutt doesn't win 8 regular season games then he gets axed and if he does win 9 or 10 he gets outta of here and finds another job.

HogFansReunited

Listening to ESPN right now and they said the Raiders might look to Butch as their next head coach.  I don't think he will work there though because Al Davis does not like coaches that will stand up to him.  Al Davis is also know for not paying coaches much so I don't think Butch would take the job even if offered.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

hogoh

Quote from: mikeirwin on January 03, 2006, 07:35:41 pm

Given the back to back losing seasons and the fact that this staff will probably be out next year if this team doesn't win means they weren't going to get somebody like Cutcliffe. A former NFL or college coordinator who has been fired or an up and coming QB coach at a mid major was pretty much what they were limited too.

This point, which is true, applies equally to Malzahn as it does to Wood.