Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is allowed besides coaches to contact recruits?

Started by BillyRaySmithSack, January 03, 2006, 08:55:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyRaySmithSack

Anyone know the rules about contacting potential recruits via phone? I was curious if Matt Jones or Joe Ferguson were able to talk to Mitch? I would think a phone call from alumni such as Jimmy Johnson, Jerry Jones, Barry Switzer, Quinn Grovey or even Coach Broyles would be impressive our recruits. I watched Bo Mattingly when he went down to Jacksonville to interview Matt Jones. I recall hearing Matt say that he would talk to Mitch if asked.

Foshodo

jdhoover

I believe there is only restrictions if you are a donor / booster to the program, but I may be wrong.
Don't mistake my support of the Razorbacks and their coaches with the acceptance of mediocrity.

BillyRaySmithSack

yeah Foshodo, this things been hanging out here longer than a Mitch Mustain to Charlie Weis man love phone call.

sowmonella

I have heard that Tom Brady has called MM to give props to Weis.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Oklahawg

Anyone can be a booster for a program, even if you are not dipping into your pockets to do so.

If you have a game program there is a set of regulations on contacting recruits, I believe.

The good ole' days of my grandfather writing letters to players trying to get them to UA are long over.

The easiest way for those conversations to occur is to get the celebrity to agree to speak to the recruit and then present the recruit the contact info. That way its the recruit initiating contact. Still don't know how legal that stuff is.

The landscape keeps evolving, that's for sure.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

BillyRaySmithSack

I would think Ronnie Brewer calling Mitch or Damien would be cool. Ronnie has shown that it does not matter who you play for, if you are good enough people will find you. Hell Mcdonalds did not even name Ronnie to its all-american team out of high school. Word I have heard is if he leaves this year, he will be a lottery pick in the NBA. He also had major pressure to sign with us and big shoes to fill with Boot being his Dad. Even though he is not a football player, he is closer to their age than any oth er Hog superstar.

BillyRaySmithSack

Maybe we can get Herb Tarkek from WKRP in Cincinnatti fame to call a recruit. He always was drinking coffee out of his razorback coffee cup. I'm sure he has time since he hasn't been on TV in 20 years.

THROWITDEEP

Quote from: BillyRaySmithSack on January 03, 2006, 08:55:50 pm
Anyone know the rules about contacting potential recruits via phone? I was curious if Matt Jones or Joe Ferguson were able to talk to Mitch? I would think a phone call from alumni such as Jimmy Johnson, Jerry Jones, Barry Switzer, Quinn Grovey or even Coach Broyles would be impressive our recruits. I watched Bo Mattingly when he went down to Jacksonville to interview Matt Jones. I recall hearing Matt say that he would talk to Mitch if asked.

This is a big no no in the eyes of the NCAA.  I am trying to find my NCAA recruiting book from back in 1999 and I cannot seem to find it.   I can't remember the proper terminology, but these people listed here have a certain name.  To make a long story longer.....they are simply "Friends" of the program.  Now, if the student has had an on going relationship with one of these people before, let us say the 8th grade for an illustration, then it would be okay, but certain restrictions still do apply.

After I got out of coaching, I worked with one D1 program where I was support staff and I was aloud to talk with a recruit on campus, but I could not call him.  The NCAA is very weird, but the system is as fair as it's going to get for now.