Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How big a roll does JoePa play on the sidelines

Started by T-hawg, January 03, 2006, 08:30:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

T-hawg

After watching over an hour of the FL st / Penn st game, I've noticed one thing. JoePa looks like a fan more than an coach. I see no headset, no play book/card. No interaction with the players or coaches.

I'm not criticizing JoePa, for god sake the man is a legend, but watch the game and it looks like the other coaches are doing all the work. Are they just going to him for critical calls and timeouts?

Just an observation. Your thoughts.

GHG
I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

Zen_Hog

He's old, what do you want him to do so he doesn't have a heart attack!

T-hawg

Uhhh, RETIRE. That is kinda the point I'm making.

WxHog

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they hire a new OC this year?   If so,  maybe he should get the credit, not JoePa.   Hmmm....could this be a similar scenerio for us next year, if Gus lights it up?   

sowmonella

He's become a CEO type HC. He has top coordinators calling offense and defense. D-1 football is too complex for one man to do it all like back in the 50s&60's. JoePa was smart enough to let go of the reins.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

forsaken bacon

January 03, 2006, 08:41:08 pm #5 Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 08:48:17 pm by forsaken bacon
I noticed he asked the ref something and then just kind of stood there looking confused.  I agree with thog.  He looks more like a fan on the sidelines than a head coach in the orange bowl.

Gotta love JoPa though.  Penn State and his resurgence have been nothing but good for college football this year.

T-hawg

I just kinda feel sorry for him. He looks confused. I'm a big fan of JoePa. I would really like to see him retire after such a great year and go out on top. I love what he said to Mike Tireco (sp). Mike T. asked him if they were contimplating retirement. JoePa said he hopes that Mike T retires. He is a legend.

forsaken bacon

Quote from: thog on January 03, 2006, 08:59:30 pm
I just kinda feel sorry for him. He looks confused. I'm a big fan of JoePa. I would really like to see him retire after such a great year and go out on top. I love what he said to Mike Tireco (sp). Mike T. asked him if they were contimplating retirement. JoePa said he hopes that Mike T retires. He is a legend.

That was pretty humorous.  I hope they show the rest of that interview with Bowden and Paterno.

AFWarrior83

Joe Pa is more a figure for Penn State now, he let's his assistants do their job. Nutt is going towards that approach after back to back loosing seasons.
Hogville member since 2005.

bigred7987

did you just see him on those officials...those of you who think he is just a figure have no clue.  He is just as much involved in this team now as ever.  Why do you think he made his offensive coaches go down and watch Texas spring practice?   Because he made the decision to switch to the spread option attack.....Took some balls to switch to that attack after never doing it before.  Thats why he is one of the best coaches of all time

AFWarrior83

He's still a figure head for Penn State, he depends on his assistants to run the game, not the program!
Hogville member since 2005.