Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kids not wanting to redshirt

Started by bigred7987, January 03, 2006, 07:13:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred7987

More kids wanting to play early drives me crazy
Look at the Penn State team... 13 redshirt seniors this year.  Thats insane.  College is the best time of your life why not draw it out and get 5 years out of it instead of just 4?

paragould25

I like you people.

Thehammer

Quote from: bigred7987 on January 03, 2006, 07:13:02 pm
Look at the Penn State team... 13 redshirt seniors this year. Thats insane. College is the best time of your life why not draw it out and get 5 years out of it instead of just 4?

You have to be honest with these kids.  The only promise that you can give them is one of a chance to play and maybe start.    You have to make it clear that you cannot promise anymore than that.  Same goes with HS players who want to play a certain position.  You don't make iron clad promises to these kids.   This is one of the things that have destroyed HDN's rapport with players in this state. 

He makes promises he can't keep. 

jdhoover

If a kid plays right away, he probably has a better chance of going to the NFL early because of experience / exposure.  That way they don't have to stay in school for at least 4 years.

Like paragould said $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Don't mistake my support of the Razorbacks and their coaches with the acceptance of mediocrity.

camelt

Quote from: jdhoover on January 03, 2006, 09:54:32 pm
If a kid plays right away, he probably has a better chance of going to the NFL early because of experience / exposure. That way they don't have to stay in school for at least 4 years.

Like paragould said $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$??????????????   You guys make it sould like if you play as a true freshman you are a lock to get drafted.  It is a long shot to get drafted if you are on the all conference team. 

I think it comes down to maturity level.  Some kids can handle the game physically but not mentally;  some kids can handle the game mentally but not physically.  A rare few are mentally and physically ready to play upper D-1 ball as an 18 year old. 

sage_dragoon

This year Joe Pa actually played freshmen(i.e.-Derrick Williams) this year. Penn used to have a long standing practice of redshirting all freshman regardless of talent level.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

pikehog

Quote from: Thehammer on January 03, 2006, 07:18:49 pm
Quote from: bigred7987 on January 03, 2006, 07:13:02 pm
Look at the Penn State team... 13 redshirt seniors this year. Thats insane. College is the best time of your life why not draw it out and get 5 years out of it instead of just 4?

You have to be honest with these kids. The only promise that you can give them is one of a chance to play and maybe start. You have to make it clear that you cannot promise anymore than that. Same goes with HS players who want to play a certain position. You don't make iron clad promises to these kids. This is one of the things that have destroyed HDN's rapport with players in this state.

He makes promises he can't keep.

I keep hearing that HDN is a honroable man, would never lie, would never make a promise he did not keep, and now you tell me it's not true?

For shame, for shame