Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robert Johnson

Started by D. West, January 03, 2006, 05:04:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

D. West

Talking to Robert about the possible transfer "issue" that circled around a couple weeks ago, and addressing the QB transfers of Mortenson and Barthel, Robert told me "I will be here".

He's all-Hog and so is his little brother Rashaad. Remember that name. He's a walkon who joined last August. 6-2, 180, 4.5 WR.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Zen_Hog

ArkansasI

RJ sounds very intelligent.  I love players that don't quit.  Things may work out better for him at Arkansas than any of us know.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: D. West on January 03, 2006, 05:04:08 pm
Talking to Robert about the possible transfer "issue" that circled around a couple weeks ago, and addressing the QB transfers of Mortenson and Barthel, Robert told me "I will be here".

He's all-Hog and so is his little brother Rashaad. Remember that name. He's a walkon who joined last August. 6-2, 180, 4.5 WR.

Going to practice last fall and watching Rashaad, the kid can catch the football.  He could be in the mix next year. I hope he earns a scollie.

WILL CLINTON

I was hoping that RoJo stayed around.  Even in the later part of the year after he had been benched, I used to see him in all the games cheering the teams on and patting them on the back and yelling for them after a good play.  We need more players on the team with that kind of attitude.  I really like that kid, and hope he gets a chance to shine somewhere on the team for us. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Lanny

Thanks D.West, 

Did Johnson mention another position or is he qb or nothing?
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

cmakrzrbak

Gus told RJ that he had a spot in this offense.  He will make a very good receiver.  OU recruited him as WR.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

Zen_Hog

I thought he said he doesn't wanna play anything but QB

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: cmakrzrbak on January 03, 2006, 06:31:14 pm
Gus told RJ that he had a spot in this offense. He will make a very good receiver. OU recruited him as WR.

Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on January 03, 2006, 06:35:02 pm
I thought he said he doesn't wanna play anything but QB

Honestly if he has a chance to play in Gus' offense i would take it any way i could get it.  He will get playing time and looks at WR a lot under Gus' system, and to be honest with his skills and abilities he looks to be a weapon.  Hell OU wanted him as a WR?  Sounds good to me, they seem to know what they are doing over there.

D. West

RoJo will get every opportunity at QB this spring. If Mustain comes, he and Dick will most likely be your guys at QB, and I'd be looking for Robert to move to WR at that time.
After his high school season in Waco, he played in the All-Star game and was raved about as a WR in that game. 6-2 1/2, 215, 4.56 in the forty, and can catch.

Until all that happens, he will be a QB.

Thehammer

Johnson has committed to stay with the hogs only through spring practice at Coach Gus' request.   RJ wants and believes he can be a qb somewhere --  if not at UA.   

The attrition of Cole Barthel and possibly Alex Mortenson; added to the fact that springdale's qb is shaky at best;  could help a lot in swaying RJ's decision to stay. 

bigred7987

Hammer name a source...you know the ropes....its obvious from what D. West has said on here he talked straight to him.  Wouldn't be smart to wait until after spring practice to transfer...then u miss out on spring practice somewhere else the next year if u transfer and diminishes ur chances to play as a RS Senior

whatsshakinbacon

I wonder if some good coaching could help RJ with his passes.  I, for one, think our coaching staff may have done him a disservice by not working with him on fundamentals before they put him in a no-win situation this year. 

Let's see what Wood can do with this guy before we move him.

Bacon out...

Thehammer

Quote from: bigred7987 on January 03, 2006, 07:03:31 pm
Hammer name a source...you know the ropes....its obvious from what D. West has said on here he talked straight to him. Wouldn't be smart to wait until after spring practice to transfer...then u miss out on spring practice somewhere else the next year if u transfer and diminishes ur chances to play as a RS Senior

I can only tell you what I know.  RJ is going to take part in spring practice and see where he fits into GM's offense -- if at all.   After that, he'll have some decisions to make.   He'll also mix the number of qbs on campus into the qbs arriving on campus this fall in his equation. 

Oh. BTW.   Two of my sources are Mike Irwin and Bo Mattingly on Press Row. 

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on January 03, 2006, 07:08:05 pm
I wonder if some good coaching could help RJ with his passes. I, for one, think our coaching staff may have done him a disservice by not working with him on fundamentals before they put him in a no-win situation this year.

Bacon out...

Bacon is quickly becoming one of my favorite posters.  This is a great point.  I want to see what Wood can do with this kid.  We all know what Wittke said about who was the best passer and i honestly believe he has a better shot at playing time at WR.  But i want to see how he does with a coach with NFL fundamentals that can teach that to Robert and can relate to him in a way to get him to calm down and just play the dang game.  I alway thought RJ was a decent QB when he settled down.  I may take flack for that, but i think he was always worried about losing the game for us and thats why he put 90% of his passes in the dirt and always passed to the easy reciever.  Get him to have some confidence in himself and his abilities, at WR and we may see him do a lot better.  I personally would like to see how he does in some trick plays that are low percentage and are a long shot to succeed at so the expectations are lower.  Who knows, but the kid has an arm, and has some legs, lets get him in a position to contribute.

Thehammer

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on January 03, 2006, 07:19:07 pm
I wonder if some good coaching could help RJ with his passes. I, for one, think our coaching staff may have done him a disservice by not working with him on fundamentals before they put him in a no-win situation this year.

Bacon out...

Bacon is quickly becoming one of my favorite posters. This is a great point. I want to see what Wood can do with this kid. We all know what Wittke said about who was the best passer and i honestly believe he has a better shot at playing time at WR. But i want to see how he does with a coach with NFL fundamentals that can teach that to Robert and can relate to him in a way to get him to calm down and just play the dang game. I alway thought RJ was a decent QB when he settled down. I may take flack for that, but i think he was always worried about losing the game for us and thats why he put 90% of his passes in the dirt and always passed to the easy reciever. Get him to have some confidence in himself and his abilities, at WR and we may see him do a lot better. I personally would like to see how he does in some trick plays that are low percentage and are a long shot to succeed at so the expectations are lower. Who knows, but the kid has an arm, and has some legs, lets get him in a position to contribute.

I have to disagree.   RJ has been at UA for going on four years now.  He's had David Lee (who turned qbs Greg Thomas into a decent passer and;  Quinn Grovey into a better than decent passer during his previous tenure at UA) he's had Roy Wittke for two years who, in my opinion, is an excellent qb coach.    Johnson is what he is.  A quick footed marvelous athlete who cannot throw the football.    Only two other schools recruited him for qb.   Nebraska (under Solich at that time) and Kansas State. 

Everyone else wanted him as an overall athlete.  Maybe wide out.  Maybe outside linebacker or rover.  Maybe some work at SS. 

D. West

Robert will not graduate anywhere but the University of Arkansas.
If he is not a QB at Arkansas, he will be moved to WR. He has two years left and is getting close to finishing his degree.

Robert is here to stay.

Thehammer

Quote from: D. West on January 03, 2006, 07:31:36 pm
Robert will not graduate anywhere but the University of Arkansas.
If he is not a QB at Arkansas, he will be moved to WR. He has two years left and is getting close to finishing his degree.

Robert is here to stay.

Great!!  I'd love to see Johnson hang around.   I just don't want to see him at qb.   Our receivers' ankles can't take much more beating. 

tophawg19

he has the arm and mobility to be a culpepper type qb lets see what wood can do . playing under control was the problem not strenghth . when he settled down he was accurate enough .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

JackJohnson

Quote from: D. West on January 03, 2006, 06:45:43 pm
RoJo will get every opportunity at QB this spring. If Mustain comes, he and Dick will most likely be your guys at QB, and I'd be looking for Robert to move to WR at that time.
After his high school season in Waco, he played in the All-Star game and was raved about as a WR in that game. 6-2 1/2, 215, 4.56 in the forty, and can catch.

Until all that happens, he will be a QB.

do you think he is better suited as WR, or S/LB if not a QB.  I think he would make a dominant S, and would definately be a "qb playing S" back there.  he certainly has the size/speed/smarts combo you look for...

wacohog

he's a good kid, as is his brother. I hope he can stay at Arkansas and be successful.

hawgfan_18

Hell RJ could play running back, He's big enough and i think he's fast enough.  Be like the running back from Louisville.

JackJohnson

wasn't his brother supposed to be a pretty good safety in his own right?  They would make a nice combo out there as our last line of defense.  And would have two years to play back there. 

I would rather have my great athletes on D since you don't have to worry about things like if they can catch or run routes...

mikeirwin

Quote from: Thehammer on January 03, 2006, 07:12:41 pm
Oh. BTW. Two of my sources are Mike Irwin and Bo Mattingly on Press Row.
You're in deep trouble then.   ;D
Look Johnson is going to take a wait and see attitude but unless Gus works a miracle with that kid does anybody believe he'll jump up an beat Casey Dick out ? If he doesn't why would he stick around ? To be another possession receiver that they don't need ?

ballhog™

I appreciated his attitude after being replaced.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: cmakrzrbak on January 03, 2006, 06:31:14 pm
Gus told RJ that he had a spot in this offense. He will make a very good receiver. OU recruited him as WR.

You are correct about Gus statement to Robert.  I had the statement that Robert was never the same after the USC game and was afraid to be hit.  I was reminded of Jason Campbell don't look good at Auburn for two years, until the new OC came in and  it just click and he perform to a new level.  Anyone think that will happen with Robert and Gus?

D. West

If he does move, it'll be to WR. That probably wouldn't be the case though, if it weren't for the fact he's only got two years left, and that secondary is pretty crowded.

It's a lot easier to take a guy like Robert and have him run routes rather than defend them as a Safety.
Like a Syvelle Newton at South Carolina, or Omarr Conner a couple years ago at Mississippi State.

JackJohnson

Quote from: D. West on January 03, 2006, 07:51:31 pm
If he does move, it'll be to WR. That probably wouldn't be the case though, if it weren't for the fact he's only got two years left, and that secondary is pretty crowded.

It's a lot easier to take a guy like Robert and have him run routes rather than defend them as a Safety.
Like a Syvelle Newton at South Carolina, or Omarr Conner a couple years ago at Mississippi State.

i wish i was as confident as you are when it comes to our secondary.  Yes, it is crowded bc we have signed 12 or so in the last couple of years, but how many of them can actually play??

Smithian

<----Member of the Robert Johnson fan club ever since he was officially #2 on the depth chart behind Matt Jones as a QUARTERBACK.

Oklahawg

Mike, do you really think there are that many possession receivers on THIS team? Maybe there will be NOW but I didn't see it last fall.

And, bless poor Robert for trying, they may have been more worried about having a limb knocked off (in the air, or on the first bounce) by an errant pass.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bigred7987

how is that picture his brother...the only two 87's on the team are Lance Thompson and Earnest Mitchell

Cajun Hog

Quote from: bigred7987 on January 03, 2006, 09:11:34 pm
how is that picture his brother...the only two 87's on the team are Lance Thompson and Earnest Mitchell

He redshirted last year.

bigred7987

Do you not get a jersey if you redshirt?

Foshodo

what i like about this is that he's happy to be a Hog...i hope he has what it takes to get to the NFL somehow... but im happy he's a Razorback.

bigred7987

I believe its his brother but why doesn't the roster match

RAZORBART

Oh. BTW. Two of my sources are Mike Irwin and Bo Mattingly on Press Row.

Thats scarey.

CorningHog

I think Robert could be a good receiver.  He hasn't proven himself in college as one, but he obviously is a good athlete.  He would have a different mentality than being protective of getting hurt during a run.  I think he might prove some folks wrong there.

Anyway, I would rather us have more than enough weapons at WR than not. 
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

Tejano Jawg

I thought about Robt a lot this year--kinda like a scientist contemplating some secret formula--both before and after his starting QB days. It was puzzling.

I'm with Bacon and Tulsa mostly. He had to be good enough to win the starting job in the first place. Call me crazy (or worse), but I liked what I saw of him in the Southern Cal game. With all the TV close-ups they gave us, I thought he looked sharp and confident...not at all rattled by the grandeur of USC and the Coliseum. For whatever reason I had a good feel for him. After he was knocked out of that game, maybe he wasn't the same. Now I can't offer up excuses or explanations for bad passes here and there. But what I did wonder about was the "psychology factor" in the bigger picture. Whether or not our coaches were able to address that...and help turn him back around. Well, they weren't. Maybe that's one more aspect of coaching we're not good at. Playing QB has such a mental/psychological element to it...some coaches can deal well with that, some can't. Just like the best coaches get the most out of their players regardless of talent. I always believed Robt was a better player than he showed us. I'm just not putting it all on him.

Whatever, I hope he stays at UA. And Gus can figure out how to get him to contribute. I know one thing for sure, Robt is in better hands now.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

whatsshakinbacon

Calm, cool and and collected coaches who have confidence in their players win national championships.  I always liked that aspect of Nolan.  Our coach just leaves a pile of fingernails on the sideline and points the stubs he hasn't chewed off at others.

Bacon out...

mutdog

I would like to see RJ try defense.  I'm not sure that he has that kill em mentality or not though.  But, I would like to see him use his 6-2 4.56 ability somehow. 

Tejano Jawg

Wow Bacon...what a way to tie 2 great Nuttisms together.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

South_Ark_Pig

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on January 03, 2006, 07:19:07 pm

Bacon out...

Bacon is quickly becoming one of my favorite posters. This is a great point. I want to see what Wood can do with this kid. We all know what Wittke said about who was the best passer and i honestly believe he has a better shot at playing time at WR. But i want to see how he does with a coach with NFL fundamentals that can teach that to Robert and can relate to him in a way to get him to calm down and just play the dang game. I alway thought RJ was a decent QB when he settled down. I may take flack for that, but i think he was always worried about losing the game for us and thats why he put 90% of his passes in the dirt and always passed to the easy reciever. Get him to have some confidence in himself and his abilities, at WR and we may see him do a lot better. I personally would like to see how he does in some trick plays that are low percentage and are a long shot to succeed at so the expectations are lower. Who knows, but the kid has an arm, and has some legs, lets get him in a position to contribute.

Sorry to dissapoint you guys, but if he has been a QB this long and doesnt have "fundamentals" then Wood isnt going to be able to teach him in spring pracitice. You cnat teach an old dog new tricks. Give it up, its like a baseball player just going out when hes 15, he aint gonna play cause ya cant be taught overnight!!

Biggus Piggus

It wasn't Lee or Wittke screwing up RJ.  It was Nutt.  Will Nutt let the system change enough?  Depends on how much control the right people have over the whole process, starting in spring.
[CENSORED]!