Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the SEC Slipping?

Started by Nutt_Hate_Me, January 03, 2006, 01:19:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nutt_Hate_Me

With only two ranked teams in Basketball and a so-so record in the bowls, is the SEC slipping in the two major college sports. 

About 5 or 6 years ago you would have seen 4 or more SEC teams ranked in basketball with two near the top and the others spread out.  The SEC was putting multiple teams into the final 4 with even the likes of MSU. 

The slip in football might be more debatable but with no NC contender, lackluster bowl performance, and no real dominant or exciting team to watch the argument can be made for football as well.

I'm just wondering if this year is a fluke or the sign that the conference is no longer King of the Hill.
It's great to be home.

hogsanity

BB definitly down.  Answer is simple.  SEC used to have more quality guards than any other league.  Not so now. 

FB.  When you beat up on each other, kinda makes it hard to get a NC contender.  TO get to the BCS title game you have to, most years be unbeaten, which means you have to win 8 sec games and then win the SECCG.  That, and the fact that the SEC still relies heavily on the SEC member states plus TX for its players.  Look at the state of FL.  They now have 6 d1 schools where just a few years ago they had only 3.  Plus other schools in the sec states are getting more players, UAB, Memphis, SO Miss.  So the talent is being spread around. 

Exciting?  What does that mean?  Are you talking about no ariel show like Texas Tech puts on?  Big freaking deal.  Bama, LSu, GA, heck most sec schools play GOOD FB, TT plays CIRCUS FB.  And they lose everytime they play a team with a defense. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

kuhog

The SEC may be down to our standards, but this is due to parity in college athletics. As hogsantity states, major programs are losing a few highly rated recruits to mid-majors. So when a mid-major grabs 1-2 recruits each from a handful of major programs, the level of talent is noticeably visible. This is why I don't feel any conference will show a complete domination on a yearly basis. There will seasons where the SEC is the superior conference, then the next season, the Big 10 or the Big 12 will show superiority. Then there will be seasons like this year where no conferences can prove superiority. It may be safe to say that there are 4 major conferences that have proven they are equal to one another.

PennHOG

Don't forget about the fact that many of the SEC schools are considered a minor farm league.  You know they have stars in their eyes and don't care so much about the education.  As soon as they think they might be able to make it in the next level the jump ship.

In BB all the potential superstars declared for the draft when they should have stayed.

In FB the SEC is still the powerhouse.  They just never perform consistently in the bowls.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

THROWITDEEP

After looking at last years Auburn team and what they did, one would think that the SEC was down.  20 years ago would we think that an SEC team could go undefeated and not win the national championship?  Maybe the future is becoming more into balance.   C-USA and the MEAC are getting much better.  Who knows what the future holds for D1 football?

pikehog

Quote from: Nutt_Hate_Me on January 03, 2006, 01:19:01 pm
With only two ranked teams in Basketball and a so-so record in the bowls, is the SEC slipping in the two major college sports.

About 5 or 6 years ago you would have seen 4 or more SEC teams ranked in basketball with two near the top and the others spread out. The SEC was putting multiple teams into the final 4 with even the likes of MSU.

The slip in football might be more debatable but with no NC contender, lackluster bowl performance, and no real dominant or exciting team to watch the argument can be made for football as well.

I'm just wondering if this year is a fluke or the sign that the conference is no longer King of the Hill.

No but UA under Nutt is