Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If West Virginia and Wisconsin can do it, why can't we?

Started by A Boy Named Sue E., January 03, 2006, 11:33:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

A Boy Named Sue E.

You think its easy to recruit to Morgantown W.V. or Madison Wisconsin? Nope. Let's stop with the excuses and get the job done.

JDHogg

"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

idochog

Sometimes you feel like a NUTT, sometimes you dont.

Right now Arkansas feels like a NUTT.
I love Jesus!

RAZORBART

Quote from: idochog on January 03, 2006, 11:39:49 am

Someday HDN, Bo, Chuck, Rick and all the other excuse makers are going to realize that after you get past the really rich recruiting hotbeds, the majority of schools suffer the same plight as we do in that they have small recruiting bases with minimal D1 prospects. That is a major hindrance IF you allow it to be in that it is an excuse, an over comable excuse for those that try and especially ones with the facilities we have in place. This years class is looking horrible and wheres the cloud ?? the other 1/2 of our stadium is in Fayetteville now, inside practice facility,world class weight room, oh yes but small recruiting base. We had 5 D1 prospects less than
15 miles from campus and we have a commitment from one. Wow !!!!
Just a hair over a million people in West Virginia but they don't hide behind excuses, they just go out and Git-r-done like we once did. So does, Auburn (even though they lost yesterday), Utah, Boise St., Wisconsin, Minnesota, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas St., Oklahoma, Tennessee,
Alabama, Louisville, and on and on. Get the point MR. Broyles ?

silvertip

Add Iowa to that list. Washington State when Mike Price was there. Wazoo is in Pullman, WA which is the laughingstock of the PAC-10. I've been to Seattle, Spokane, Portland OR, & over all the Interstates in WA . I still don't know where Pullman is.

hogsanity

Quote from: RAZORBART on January 03, 2006, 12:02:07 pm
Quote from: idochog on January 03, 2006, 11:39:49 am

Someday HDN, Bo, Chuck, Rick and all the other excuse makers are going to realize that after you get past the really rich recruiting hotbeds, the majority of schools suffer the same plight as we do in that they have small recruiting bases with minimal D1 prospects.

. So does, Auburn (even though they lost yesterday), Utah, Boise St., Wisconsin, Minnesota, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas St., Oklahoma, Tennessee,
Alabama, Louisville, and on and on. Get the point MR. Broyles ?

Problem is, we play a ton of teams from the recruiting hotbeds.  We play Bama, Aub and LSU EVERY YEAR. 

As for the teams you listed  UTAH, and Boise are products of weak conferences.  KS and KS could not compete in the SEC ( KU was 3-5 in the big 12 ).  TT gets beat anytime they face a real D.  Wisc does it with D and a boring ground game ( but it works no doubt about that) OU always gets tons of Texas players and Tn recruits nationally, although the shine may be fading from Rocky Top. 

Records can be deceiving, and do not indicate that the talent is better.  As I said, KS made a bowl but was 3-5 in conference. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigyellowdog

add Purdue to that list as well.  They had a bad season this year, but Joe Tiller has built a competitive program by convincing recruits to come to West Lafayette, which is the Starkville of the Big 10. 

Sound the Horns

I was thinking about this yesterday as well. What does Rick and the others have to say about a WV and Wisconsin team? They will find a way to spin it somehow.

bigyellowdog

I agree with you about Madtown.  It is a pretty cool place.  Just way too cold in the winter.

pikehog

Quote from: Sound the Horns on January 03, 2006, 01:20:34 pm
I was thinking about this yesterday as well. What does Rick and the others have to say about a WV and Wisconsin team? They will find a way to spin it somehow.

Randy Rainwater would tell you that you can't compare the two, because it would be like comparing apples to apples.

HawgWyld

Quote from: Sound the Horns on January 03, 2006, 01:20:34 pm

Of course they'll spin it, and they'll use the time-tested excuse of some Razorbacks fans to excuse any shortcoming of the Hogs -- "Those teams really aren't that good!"

Yes, West Virginia and Wisconsin just aren't that good -- all of those teams, why they'd get killed in the big, bad SEC. Very convenient, huh?

HawgWyld

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2006, 01:11:20 pm
As for the teams you listed UTAH, and Boise are products of weak conferences.

Boise State has improved since Nutt was there. Good for them. They are also a member of the Mountain West, a conference that fielded a team that finished in 3rd place that year yet managed to beat Arkansas in the Las Vegas Bowl.

I doubt, however, you intentionally meant to make the Hogs and your boy Houston look terrible with your post...

HawgWyld

Quote from: opineonswine on January 03, 2006, 01:41:40 pm
HOG WASH.... Unadulterated HOG WASH. The "we play in such a tough conference..wha, wah, wha..." excuse is done. Wisconsin plays in as tough a conference as we do as do many other schools. This ole tired "but we play in the SEC" is a sad, wimpy excuse.

Wow! You're exactly right. If the SEC is so tough, the Hogs need to learn to thrive in it rather than coming up with excuse after excuse for becoming a crap team.

Hogs4Ever

Excellent question.  If West Virginia can win a BCS Bowl Game, there is no justifiable excuse for why Arkansas can not.

corndo

Quote from: A Boy Named Sue E. on January 03, 2006, 11:33:15 am
You think its easy to recruit to Morgantown W.V. or Madison Wisconsin? Nope. Let's stop with the excuses and get the job done.

Aren't you forgetting about the cloud???

A Boy Named Sue E.

HogDodging

We won't, because those in charge are satisfied with mediocrity, as are a great number of Huggers.
It's all about expectations.  We have none.

idochog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on January 03, 2006, 01:17:46 pm
Quote from: A Boy Named Sue E. on January 03, 2006, 11:33:15 am
You think its easy to recruit to Morgantown W.V. or Madison Wisconsin? Nope.

Actually, Madison is a cool city. Very laid back vibe, kinda like a bigger version of Fayetteville. Or a smaller version of Austin, Tex.

Morgantown, on the other hand...

Madison and Wisconsin is supposed to be a helluva party town.
I love Jesus!

tulsahog36

very interesting you would bring up West Virgina and Wisconsin.  What do those two teams have in common?  A offensive philospohy of a strong running game and a little passing.  Sounds a lot like Nutt to me.

silvertip

Quote from: tulsahog36 on January 03, 2006, 06:09:19 pm
very interesting you would bring up West Virgina and Wisconsin. What do those two teams have in common? A offensive philospohy of a strong running game and a little passing. Sounds a lot like Nutt to me.

Well, Wisc coach just retired. Do you really think they would hire Nutt to replace him?

big papa

Thank You for starting a thread that is a honest assessment of the recruiting or lack in thereof at the U of A.  It does grow tiresome hearing all the apologists run down the University or the great state of Arkansas, just to try to prop up their beloved coach.  I do think that young people can be recruited to Fayettevliie if there is incentive for them to go, and i am speaking of all above board recruiting.  If  these kids see a winning attitude and results on the field they will want to go to the University.

HawgWyld

Quote from: tark42 on January 03, 2006, 09:40:45 pm
Thank You for starting a thread that is a honest assessment of the recruiting or lack in thereof at the U of A. It does grow tiresome hearing all the apologists run down the University or the great state of Arkansas, just to try to prop up their beloved coach. I do think that young people can be recruited to Fayettevliie if there is incentive for them to go, and i am speaking of all above board recruiting. If these kids see a winning attitude and results on the field they will want to go to the University.

I do believe you just nailed it. Sure, players will come to Fayetteville if given an incentive to do so. Right now, why on earth would a top-notch player want to look at the University of Arkansas? An annoying attitude in this state pops up time and time again, as evidenced by the misconception that li'l ol' Arkansas just can't compete with the big boys when it comes to attracting recruits. Top-ranked programs, you'll notice, can be found in locations that aren't nearly as nice as Fayetteville, but the difference is those schools expect to win and don't put up with a middle-tier status in their conferences.

I'm sick and damn tired, too, of hearing alleged fans run down my state in an attempt to excuse the shenanigans of a coach who has achieved almost nothing in the SEC. Nutt wouldn't have lasted more than a season at Alabama, Tennessee or Georgia, yet he's been here for eight years. That fact, alone, points out the difference between top-tier programs and the one at the University of Arkansas. Where the hell has the pride gone? At what point did fans become satisfied with 4-4 conference records?

hoggystyle78

PiggyBack

Players follow winning coaches and winning programs.  Period.
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

HogHeathen

RAZORBART

Quote from: PiggyBack on January 04, 2006, 09:10:44 am
Players follow winning coaches and winning programs. Period.

Eggszackly !!!

Look at the issues (excuses) we have addressed the last few years for HDN.
Better stadium                                       (check)
indoor practice facility                               (check)
outdoor practice area                               (check)
  world class strength & weight room           (check)
"D" rule changed                                      (check)
record amounts of money 4 coaches           (check)
unlimited resources for recruiting                (check)
closed practices (stupid)                            (check)
world class study facilities                           (check)
NCAA probation                                        (forgiveness of 2 years)
To my knowledge, our athletic department, BOT, and even Chancellor has addressed every problem (excuse) that the current head coach has used as reasons for  his failures. The only one that can never be overcame is the one he and his band of merrymen continue to cling to and that is the poor recruiting base in poor little Arkansas ?
GET REAL HOUSTON !!!! grow a pair and put up or move on .