Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog Blurb in SI Article

Started by Hog in MO, January 02, 2006, 09:00:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog in MO

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/seth_davis/01/01/hoop.thoughts/index.html

Arkansas: It seems as if the unranked Razorbacks have been forgotten since losing to UConn and Maryland in November, but there aren't too many teams that are better at forcing turnovers and converting them in transition. If the Hogs ever start making outside shots consistently, they'll win the SEC.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Hog in MO on January 02, 2006, 09:00:35 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/seth_davis/01/01/hoop.thoughts/index.html

Arkansas: It seems as if the unranked Razorbacks have been forgotten since losing to UConn and Maryland in November, but there aren't too many teams that are better at forcing turnovers and converting them in transition. If the Hogs ever start making outside shots consistently, they'll win the SEC.

That's a pretty solid column all the way through - interesting reading bookmarked for later.

Thanks for the find.

Bacon out...

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Agreed, nice find.  The encouraging thing about the b-ball team is they are good on defense.  That is much more difficult to improve on than offense.  Hopefully the O will come around..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

paraloma

Dallas Washington for Heisman

I agree.  But someone getting hot shooting, or someone stepping up off the bench, such as McCurdy or better yet Cranford, is a real possibility.  If at this point our D sucked or we needed a defensive stopper, the season would be over.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Thrilbilly

We have a shooter in McCurdy,,,The BB team is at this point under rated. Wait and see!!

Hog in MO

I've been encouraged by our ability to attack the zone better down low this year - of course that opinion may change once we start playing more physical SEC teams.  Townes and Thomas are stronger in the paint and Brewer and Jefferson are doing a good job of slashing to the basket at times. 

Modica is Modica - AKA Mr. Trash Bucket.  He has an uncanny ability for finding the garbage points.  McCurdy is coming along well as a PG.  He has a sweet jumper that will help take the pressure off Townes and Thomas by dropping in a few treys.  Cranford is a good shooter - but what else can he do?  He has to be more of a complete player if he is going to contribute, and even the best shooters have difficulty coming off the bench cold and hitting threes.  He needs more PT to get into the flow of the game and find his shot and he won't get more PT until he improves his D and ball handling. 

Brewer is very streaky to me - some nights he is money with the jumper and other nights he can't hit water from a boat.  If he can find some consistency from 15 ft+ that will help loosen the inside up as well.  The rest of the team is a crap shoot from outside.  Ferguson can get streaky hot at times but he is unreliable, and worse, indiscriminate about the shots he takes.  Our set offense has improved overall but we are still very dependent on turnovers and transition buckets - which is ok by me because its exciting to watch - but we won't always be able to count on getting 20+ turnover's per game. 

Thrilbilly

Quote from: Hog in MO on January 02, 2006, 10:51:49 pm
I've been encouraged by our ability to attack the zone better down low this year - of course that opinion may change once we start playing more physical SEC teams. Townes and Thomas are stronger in the paint and Brewer and Jefferson are doing a good job of slashing to the basket at times.

Modica is Modica - AKA Mr. Trash Bucket. He has an uncanny ability for finding the garbage points. McCurdy is coming along well as a PG. He has a sweet jumper that will help take the pressure off Townes and Thomas by dropping in a few treys. Cranford is a good shooter - but what else can he do? He has to be more of a complete player if he is going to contribute, and even the best shooters have difficulty coming off the bench cold and hitting threes. He needs more PT to get into the flow of the game and find his shot and he won't get more PT until he improves his D and ball handling.

Brewer is very streaky to me - some nights he is money with the jumper and other nights he can't hit water from a boat. If he can find some consistency from 15 ft+ that will help loosen the inside up as well. The rest of the team is a crap shoot from outside. Ferguson can get streaky hot at times but he is unreliable, and worse, indiscriminate about the shots he takes. Our set offense has improved overall but we are still very dependent on turnovers and transition buckets - which is ok by me because its exciting to watch - but we won't always be able to count on getting 20+ turnover's per game.

Good Assessment

I agree, nice job HoginMO.  I must say though, that Friday night Crandford came in at the end of the game and took one shot.  Nothing but net.  I know the opponent sucked and that is just once instance, but it was encouraging.  I don't think he has to do anything other than stand back there and wait for his shot - except to make sure he isn't a liability on D.  There have been plenty of guys in college b-ball who only come off the bench to shoot..

Hog in MO

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 02, 2006, 10:59:52 pm
I agree, nice job HoginMO. I must say though, that Friday night Crandford came in at the end of the game and took one shot. Nothing but net. I know the opponent sucked and that is just once instance, but it was encouraging. I don't think he has to do anything other than stand back there and wait for his shot - except to make sure he isn't a liability on D. There have been plenty of guys in college b-ball who only come off the bench to shoot..

Yes, Cranford is a great shooter - at least he is known as one.  He's only played about 10 total minutes this year so its hard to get a good assessment of him.  I just worry about his D and ball handling.  I'm not comfortable with him being in there in a tight game right now.  But I do hope that he improves his overall game and we are able to use him more to help break the zone. 

What I am really wanting to see is more McCurdy.  I'm glad Heath got him more PT these last two games - hopefully that will continue to increase as the season goes on.  He could be the PG we've been looking for ever since Corey Beck left.   

Agree 110% about McCurdy, I have been saying that since before the season started.

Lando Calrissian

McCurdy isn't ready for SEC-level competition yet.

It's good that he got some playing time against those rinky-dink teams, but I doubt he'll see the floor much in SEC play.

The substution pattern will be similar to how it was in Maui and Ronnie will probably be playing 38 minutes a game...especially on the road.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Ugly Uncle

McCurdy is the type of player that needs to be in the game more.  Yes he is a freshman and sometimes gets a bit out of control...but if you watch, the offense is more aggressive with him in the game.  I was at a game where he yelled at Brewer to move and get to the right position.  He takes the floor like a leader.  Although Jefferson has improved...he still doesn't seem to be the leader on offensive with the ball.  Put McCurdy in and let him learn.  He helps us much more than he hurts us right now.  We need a PG that is vocal and isn't afraid to direct traffic everytime down the court.
Retired Radio Host

weevilhogg

McCurdy seems to have a bit of a mean streak -- which is a good thing.  He's got a bit of cockiness and swagger when he's in there.   He's been fun to watch the last couple of games and hopefully he'll only get better.   Man, if McCurdy evolves into our true PG, our offense will really really open up --- mostly because Brewer can focus his attention on being a 2 or 3 instead of a 1. 
Oh my!

Hog in MO

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 02, 2006, 11:35:32 pm
McCurdy isn't ready for SEC-level competition yet.

It's good that he got some playing time against those rinky-dink teams, but I doubt he'll see the floor much in SEC play.

The substution pattern will be similar to how it was in Maui and Ronnie will probably be playing 38 minutes a game...especially on the road.
I agree that he's not quite there yet, but i believe he will be by the end of the season if he continues to get PT.  Jefferson has improved exponentially over last year, but I think he has maxed out his potential.  He gets the job done but is not truly a PG.  McCurdy is a floor general and his potential is unlimited right now. 

I have to agree about Ronnie though - we'll be riding him like a rented mule from here on out.  But what's new? 

HogFather

I like the sleeper role, let's hope somebody wakes us up.  I miss the NCAA tournament...oh how I miss it so.

Hogs4Ever

Quote from: HogFather on January 03, 2006, 09:32:03 am

I like the sleeper role, let's hope somebody wakes us up.  I miss the NCAA tournament...oh how I miss it so.

Amen brotha!  McCurdy needs to continue to get some playing time to allow him to mature.  By the end of the season I think he can be a significant contributer. 

It's time for Brewer, Townes, and Modica to put this team on their shoulders and get serious!

hogsanity

HEath is handling McCurdy well, imo.  Getting him more PT in spots where, if he does have a breakdown or 2 it wont kill us. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE