Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Look back/ahead to the Top 100 College Basketball recruits in the SEC

Started by jbcarol, June 05, 2012, 04:17:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Top Class o' '25 PG with SEC Ties

Darius Acuff, Jr.      .9964 TBD  IMG                                   #1 PG #2 FL #10 US

Cayden Boozer       .9941 TBD  Miami Columbus                 #2 PG #3 FL #14 US

Mikel Brown, Jr.      .9932 TBD  Overtime Elite                    #3 PG #3 GA #15 US

Aaron Rowe           .9914 MU   Father Tolton                      #4 PG #2 MO #21 US

Tyler Jackson         .9898 TBD  Overtime Elite                    #5 PG #4 GA #27 US

Jeremiah Green      .9775 TBD  Denton's Sunrise Christian  #9 PG #1 TX #51 US

Dante Allen            .963  TBD  Miami Riviera Prep              #10 PG #10 FL #72 US

El Ellis                   .9555 USC  Moravian Prep                    #13 PG #4 GA #96 US
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Top Class o' '25 SG with SEC Ties

Darryn Peterson  .9993 TBD  Huntington Prep             #1 SG #1 WV #3 US

Akai Fleming       .9814 TBD  Marietta Osborne           #6 SG #6 GA #45 US

King Grace          .9649 TBD  Waxahachie                  #11 SG #7 TX #67 US

Patton Pinkins     .9605 UM   Wolfforth Frenship          #14 SG #9 TX #80 US

Kayden Edwards  .9558 TBD  Duncanville                   #15 SG #10 TX #95 US
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Top Class o' '25 CG with SEC Ties

Meleek Thomas    .9978 TBD  Linkin Park       #1 CG #1 PA #6 US

Jasper Johnson    .9948 TBD  Link Academy   #3 CG #1 MO #12 US

Davion Hannah    .9858 TBD   Nicolet            #7 CG #1 WI #36 US

Isaiah Sealy         .9763 TBD  Springdale       #10 CG #1 AR #53 US

jbcarol

Top Class o' '25 SF with SEC Ties

Jamier Jones            .9916 TBD  Orlando's Oak Ridge        #4 SF #5 FL #20 US

Will Riley                 .9912 TBD  Malvern's Phelps School   #5 SF #2 PA #23 US

Jacob Wilkins           .9891 UG   Grayson                          #7 SF #5 GA #28 US

Hudson Greer           .9881 TBD  Austin Lake Travis           #8 SF #1 TX #32 US

Alec Blair                 .9574 TBD  Concord's de la Salle       #23 SF #10 CA #92 US

Jermaine O'Neal, Jr.  .9535 TBD  Dallas Dynamic Prep       #25 SF #11 TX #101 US

jbcarol

Top Class o' '25 PF with SEC Ties

Nigel Walls            .9829 TBD  St. Francis Episcopal            #10 PF #4 TX #42 US

Terrion Burgess     .9677 TBD  Benton                                #13 PF #2 AR #61 US

Hayden Assemian  .9389 USC  Powdersville                        #25 PF #2 SC #127 US

jbcarol

Top Class o' '25 C with SEC Ties

John Clark                     .9869 TBD  Houston's Klein Cain   #3 C #2 TX #33 US

Malachi Mareno              .9868 TBD  Great Crossing           #4 C #1 KY #34 US

DeWayne Brown             .9399 TBD  Hoover                     #20 C #1 AL #125 US

JD Palm                         .9298 TBD  McEachern                #23 C #10 GA #140 US

Jamarion Davis-Fleming  .9088 TBD  Canton                     #26 C #2 MS #181 US

jbcarol

Wes Rucker
@wesrucker247
SEC Network's Daymeon Fishback said #Vols' Dalton Knecht is already a "lock" for SEC Player of the Year and has that award "in the bag."

"He's trying to catch Edey" for National Player of the Year, per Fishback.
11:25 PM · Feb 7, 2024
·

jbcarol

Keyon Menifield Jr. shares his thoughts following win over Georgia
by:
Wade Peery

QuoteArkansas Razorbacks battled their way to a 78-75 win over the Georgia Bulldogs on Saturday. It was one of the better games of the weekend, with both teams trading blows in the final minutes. Following the hard-fought victory, Keyon Menifield, Jr. spoke with the SEC Network crew:

"We needed everybody on the team to put in that work and go hard for us to win. Go on a winning streak. And that's what we need. So, I come off the bench and work hard and do whatever I can for us to win," Menifield said.

Before transferring to Arkansas, Menifield played for the Washington Huskies in the Pac-12 Conference. What have been some of the biggest adjustments for him in moving from the Pac-12 to the SEC?

"For sure, how strong they are. They're bigger and stronger here. So, I've gotta get bigger and stronger to be able to defend in the SEC instead of the Pac-12," the sophomore said.

Earlier in the season, Menifield exploded for 32 points in a win against UNC Wilmington on December 30th. Since then, what has Arkansas head coach Eric Musselman asked of him?

"Just be myself, you know. Don't go out there and be timid. Just do my best and go out there and work hard. And when I do that, I feel like I can do a lot of good things."
--Menifield

Arkansas also got 15 points from former Louisville Cardinal, El Ellis. The Hogs handed the Bulldogs their fifth straight loss.

jbcarol

Eric Musselman discusses Devo Davis' return, condition
by:
Sam Gillenwater

QuoteArkansas G Davonte Davis returned from a three-game absence this weekend. He looked like he hadn't missed any time.

"I think he knew the conditioning. We had discussed that, on Tuesday, about the importance of his conditioning," said Musselman. "I saw him working. We wear whatever those jackets are called where you can monitor workload. He really busted his behind this week to play catch-up a little bit from a conditioning standpoint.

"I mean he did ask to come out tonight, which, since I've been coaching him, is the first time I can remember him asking to get a quick blow," admitted Musselman.

jbcarol

SEC finally announces men's basketball Players of the Week after they each averaged 23+ points
Keith Farner | 10 minutes ago

QuoteGuard Tyrece Radford of Texas A&M, and South Carolina forward Collin Murray-Boyles were honored

Radford averaged 24.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 2.5 assists in wins at Missouri and against No. 6 Tennessee. He hit 53.1% (17-of-32) of his shots and made 80% (12-of-15) of his shots from the foul line. Against Tennessee, Radford had 27 points on 9-of-17 shooting along with 5 rebounds and 5 assists.

Murray-Boyles averaged 23.5 points, 8 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks in wins over Ole Miss and Vanderbilt.

That was just the 3rd 30-point game by a Gamecock freshman since joining the SEC in 1991-92. What's more, Murray-Boyles became just the third Gamecock the last 25 seasons to record 30 points on 80% or better shooting in an SEC game. He's the first SEC freshman since Arkansas' Bobby Portis in 2014 to score 30 or more points with 13 or more made field goals while shooting above 80%.

jbcarol

Eric Musselman details decision to start El Ellis vs. Georgia
by:
Sam Gillenwater

Quote"I thought his practice habits were really good," said Musselman. "Obviously, with no mid-week game, we had a lot of time to adjust a lot of different things. I thought he was extremely focused. So he got the start tonight.

"El Ellis defended their four for, probably, about 20 to 22 minutes tonight," Musselman said. "I thought that he did a great job defending the four. We didn't get hurt in the post at that position at all.

"As I said, we're still trying to search. Now we have nine guaranteed games left and we're still trying to search. Based on matchups? We might have different lineups," said Musselman. "That just might be who we are. It's not what we've always done."

"With this team? It might be matchups," Musselman said. "Keyon (Menifield) played really good off the bench too and, obviously, Devo (Davis) changes things for us."

jbcarol

Kentucky Men's Basketball
@KentuckyMBB
·

Historic night. @OnyensoUgonna tied the @Rupp_Arena record with 10 blocks.

Tied the Admiral David Robinson

jbcarol

College Basketball: Week 15 Freshman Power Rankings

by:
Jamie Shaw

QuoteLast year saw Alabama's Brandon Miller take the college basketball world by storm. This season has not seen any freshman dominating college basketball, but there have been a few who are contributing to winning basketbal

3. G Reed Sheppard, Kentucky
The Buzz: Reed Sheppard has been about as steady of a performer as college basketball has seen this season. His highs are never too high, and his lows are never too low. Just as a solid, complimentary guard who helps everything around him run smoothly. Sheppard is shooting 51.9 percent from three this season while dishing 4.2 assists and leading the SEC with 2.5 steals per contest. He moves the ball, makes his shots, and is a very effective off-ball defender.

5. G Robert Dillingham, Kentucky
The Buzz: There is a sense of electricity in Robert Dillingham's game that you do not see elsewhere in college basketball. The consistency with which he can score it, in one-on-one situations, lights a fire for this Kentucky team when he comes off the bench. Dillingham plays his best basketball coming off the bench. When given elongated minutes, he can get turnover-prone, and his defensive shortcomings show, However, when he comes off the bench and is given the freedom to go score, he is at his best. In just over 24 minutes per game in SEC play, Dillingham is averaging 16.3 points while shooting 43.4 percent from three. Despite being fifth in minutes played, he is second on the team in field goals attempted and first on the team in usage.

10. F Collin Murray-Boyles, South Carolina
The Buzz: Collin Murray-Boyles missed a good chunk of the first part of the season with mononucleosis, and it took him a few games to get up to speed. South Carolina is now 21-3 on the season and started the week No. 11 in the A.P. Poll. Murray-Boyles has started nine games for the Gamecocks and has averaged 11.7 points 6.6 rebounds, 1.2 steals, and 1.4 blocks in those games. South Carolina is 8-1 in Murray-Boyles starts this season, and the 6-foot-7 forward has led the team in scoring in each of their last three games

Next Ten

G Josh Hubbard, Mississippi State

2023-24 Stats: 24 games, 14.8 points, 2.4 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 35.5% 3P

Josh Hubbard leads SEC freshmen and scoring, and despite only starting five games, he also leads Mississippi State in scoring.

Calipari would start two different freshmen ahead of Dillingham and Sheppard.

jbcarol

Jaylin Williams gives encouraging update on injured knee
Spenser Davis | 2 minutes ago

QuoteWilliams had to exit Auburn's loss to Kentucky with a knee injury on Saturday night.

Williams exited the game with 10:40 remaining just as Auburn was attempt to mount a comeback. The Tigers ultimately fell short, losing 70-59 for their first home defeat of the 2023-24 season.

Williams shared this update

Jaylin Williams
@iso__jaywill
·

I'm going to be fine. 😌🙏🏾
9:33 AM · Feb 18, 2024

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein's Breakfast Buffet

QuoteAdou Thiero is emerging as a critical piece for Kentucky
Small ball worked for the Wildcats early in the season and it worked for them in Saturday's win at Auburn as well. Thiero's presence as bouncy power forward is an integral part of that formula. The 6-8 sophomore missed a month during the middle of the season due to injury, but has made a major impact upon his return. In games this season where he's logged 25 minutes or more, Thiero is averaging 11.3 points and 6.9 rebounds. Beyond his statistics, Thiero can have a great impact on a game by not demanding shots; that's a critical attribute when you're a part of a roster that boasts D.J. Wagner, Rob Dillingham, Reed Sheppard, and Antonio Reeves. Kentucky returns to action tonight at LSU.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein's Breakfast Buffet

QuoteMark Sears hits Rupp Arena
Would Sears be regularly compared to Jalen Brunson if he played at Villanova instead of Alabama? It's not out of the realm of possibility. He doesn't get the same attention as other elite guards like UConn's Tristen Newton, North Carolina's R.J. Davis, or Marquette's Tyler Kolek, but the 6-1 Sears is plenty capable. Entering today's game against Kentucky at Rupp Arena, Sears is averaging 20.4 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 4.1 assists while shooting 50.8 percent from the field and 43.9 percent from three-point range. Those are All-American caliber numbers. Tip off for today's game is at 4 PM ET on CBS.

jbcarol

Khalif Battle goes off for 42 points, leading Arkansas to win over Mizzou
Andrew Olson | 

QuoteKhalif Battle was determined to keep Arkansas from being the first SEC team to lose to Mizzou this season. Battle went off for 42 points, the most by an SEC player this season, in the Razorbacks' 88-73 win over the Tigers.

Battle made 11-of-15 field-goal attempts, going 6-of-10 from 3-point range. He was also a perfect 14-of-14 at the free-throw line.

Follow Arkansas Razorbacks 🐗
@ArkRazorbacks
·

Every field goal from Khalif Battle's 42 point performance

Battle is in some exclusive company. His 42 points are second-most for a Razorback in an SEC contest. He's the first Hog in almost 50 years to score 42 points and grab 6 rebounds.

jbcarol

Justin Edwards uses Reed Sheppard's mental health coach

Finds peace

by:
Jack Pilgrim

Quote"I kept saying, 'You're going to break through, I believe in you,'" John Calipari said of Justin Edwards. "He said, 'Coach, I believe in you.' And I said, 'You just got to stay the course.'"

Staying the course is easier said than done, though. When you're the top-ranked recruit in Kentucky's top-ranked recruiting class and projected as a potential No. 1 draft pick, it's easy to get in your head when things don't go perfectly well to open your college basketball career.

Edwards started his career scoring in double figures in six of his first eight games while averaging over four rebounds per contest in that stretch —

The former five-star recruit just couldn't get going and was clearly crumbling mentally. Freshman teammate Reed Sheppard saw him unraveling and decided to step in before he really nosedived, recommending the same mental health help he was getting.

That opened the door to Edwards digging in, hoping to take some of the weight off his shoulders.

"Reed introduced me to a mental health coach and we've been talking. And I've been reading books about mental health," he said. "Just to be able to be free, just play and mentally be better, it feels really good. ... (I learned to) just to not have negative thoughts, always have the positive. Have a positive voice at the podium."

Edwards' mental breakthrough paved the path for his on-court breakthrough, exploding for 28 points on a perfect 10-10 shooting and 4-4 from three while adding five rebounds, two assists and two steals in a 117-95 win over Alabama. The 6-8 freshman made shots, attacked the glass and defended, putting together his best all-around performance

Sheppard always saw that in him, he just had to believe in himself to make it happen.

"I think it's helped him a lot and I hope it has. I've been lucky enough to have this guy, he's been able to help me be positive and no matter what, have a positive voice and a positive mindset toward everything. That has really helped," Sheppard said of sharing a mental health coach with Edwards. "I knew Justin wasn't doing it on purpose, he was just struggling. I knew if he could talk to someone and someone could talk with him about staying positive.

"Keep going and don't give up, don't let it take his joy, find a way. I'm really glad he's finally turning the page and I'm super proud of him."

jbcarol

Devo Davis shares feelings on being back with Arkansas

by:
Grant Grubbs

Quote"Devo" Davis has been back with Arkansas for five games since taking a three-game leave of absence between Jan. 24 and Feb. 10. Davis couldn't be happier. After Arkansas' 88-73 win over Missouri on Saturday, Davis pulled back the curtain on how his return has felt.

"It feels good being back," Davis said. "I'm glad I'm able to be around those guys again and they welcomed me back with open arms. I'm glad I'm able to come back and play basketball, something that I love to do. These guys know I love to do it and so I'm glad I'm able to do it with these guys, and we were able to pick up this big win tonight."

In the win, Davis stuffed the stat sheet.

Musselman first discussed Davis' return on his radio show.

"You just sit down and talk to the player and you have a meeting and you discuss how he's gonna come back, how that process is gonna work," Musselman said. "What day he's going to come back to practice. What physically after being away for a little bit are you going to do, how much, how little. That was basically what the conversation was.

"He has been working hard. He has had a great week of practice," Musselman said. "I think, from a conditioning standpoint? And we talked yesterday about his conditioning. He feels like he's back to where he was from a conditioning standpoint."

Eric Musselman is rooting for Devo

jbcarol

SEC Men's Basketball Weekly Awards: Week 16

QuotePlayer of the Week
KHALIF BATTLE    ARKANSAS
G • Jr.   Hillside, N.J.

Arkansas guard Khalif Battle, a 6-foot-5, 185-pound junior from Hillside, N.J., averaged 28.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.5 steals in wins at Texas A&M and against Missouri. He started the week with 15 points on 9-of-10 shooting from the free throw line in the win at Texas A&M. Against Missouri, he scored 42 points on just 15 shots (11-of-15) while going 14-of-14 at the line. The career-high 42 points are the most by an SEC player this season. He scored half (26 points) of the Razorbacks' 52 second half points, including 19 of Arkansas's points on a 24-10 run.

Co-Freshman of the Week
JUSTIN EDWARDS    KENTUCKY
G • Fr.   Philadelphia, Pa.

Kentucky guard Justin Edwards, a 6-foot-8, 203-pound guard from Philadelphia, Pa., averaged 18.5 points per game and shot 92.9 percent from the field, 87.5 percent from 3-point range and 80.0 percent from the charity stripe against LSU at Alabama. He erupted for a career-high 28 points against No. 13 Alabama, going 10 of 10 from the field, 4 of 4 from 3-point range and 4 of 5 at the free throw stripe.

JOSH HUBBARD    MISSISSIPPI STATE
G • Fr.   Madison, Miss.
Mississippi State guard Josh Hubbard, a 5-foot-10, 190-pound freshman from Madison, Miss., averaged 18.5 points and 1.5 assists in wins over Ole Miss and at LSU. He exploded for a season-best 32 points at LSU.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein's Breakfast Buffet: Dalton Knecht

QuoteThings To Sample
Dalton Knecht could take things to a different level against Alabama
College basketball's most explosive scorer had 39 points and made five three-point shots in Wednesday night's win over Auburn in Knoxville, but tonight's matchup in Tuscaloosa may provide an even greater opportunity for him to flourish offensively. Why? The Crimson Tide's defense has been abominable. Alabama is allowing an average of 88 points in its last six games and that's something that has to improve if this team is going to advance deep in the NCAA Tournament. Knecht has already scored 36 or more points four times this season. The winner of this game will be in sole possession of first place in the SEC standings.

On The Side
The last time that Kentucky had guards off the bench as good as Rob Dillingham (14.8 points, 3.7 assists, 2.9 rebounds) and Reed Sheppard (12.5 points, 4.4 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 2.7 steals)? The 2014-15 season when John Calipari had both Tyler Ulis and Devin Booker in reserve behind Andrew and Aaron Harrison. The Wildcats will host Arkansas today at Rupp Arena. Tip off is at 1:30 PM ET on CBS.

On both occasions, Calipari's coaching decision was questionable.

jbcarol

Muss offers thoughts on Dillingham

by:
Alex Weber

QuoteAfter Kentucky guard Rob Dillingham missed the Wildcats' first matchup with Arkansas, he made his presence known with some key plays down the stretch in Saturday's rematch.

Probably not due to Dillingham, but the second installment of Kentucky-Arkansas in 2024 was quite a bit more exciting than the first. The 'Cats and Hogs competed in a defensive showdown down in Fayetteville, as Kentucky mustered just 63 total points, their second-lowest total of the season, while putting the clamps on Arkansas themselves to win by six points.

In Lexington, though, the two teams nearly hit 120 total points just in the first half after they needed the whole game to get there last time — and then the finished the ballgame with a 111-102 final score, just a tad bit higher than the first meeting. Ultimately, though, thanks to a late string of plays by Dillingham, Kentucky was able to distance themselves from Arkansas in the final moments. He finished a handful of acrobatic layups and floated a couple of lobs to Justin Edwards and Zvonimir Ivisic on the most important offensive possessions.

After the game, Eric Musselman wasn't too upset with how his guys guarded Dillingham, and noted that he's just an impressive talent.

"Well, I mean, he's an NBA draft pick. He's fast, he makes really difficult shots," said Muss, then laying out the stats showing that Dillingham didn't have his best day.

"But you know, we held — he's five of 13, 0 for 3 from the 3-point line. So I thought we did a good job taking away his 3-point shot. You know, he made five field goals. So I mean, coming into the game, you know, an NBA first round pick, if you can hold him to five field goals, we'd probably be fairly happy."

The overall numbers from Dillingham weren't incredible — and for most of the game, he was held in check. But when Dilly got loose, he really closed the game out with his run of several possessions in a row scoring or assisting a bucket.

Despite the loss and Rob Dillingham's flurry at the end, Musselman was pleased with how the Razorbacks performed.

"Thought we played as hard as we've played all year. The effort, the focus, the belief. All of those things were as good as they've been," he said. "It was a locker room that pregame thought they were going to win. Halftime thought they were going to win, and throughout the course of the huddles. Thought we showed great toughness. I thought we got on the floor for loose balls."

A tough loss to swallow, but not for a lack of effort.

jbcarol

Wagner: Nothing Zvonimir Ivisic does in games surprises his teammates

by:
Grant Grubbs

QuoteZvonimir Ivisic is an anomaly. The 7-foot-2 Croatian will throw down a monster jam only to snap off a sweet behind-the-back pass moments later. In Kentucky's 111-102 win over Arkansas, Ivisic tallied 12 points, nine rebounds and two blocks.

While fans are left in awe every time Ivisic makes a ridiculous play, DJ Wagner just smiles. After Kentucky's victory, the standout guard revealed his perspective on "Big Z's" jaw-dropping style of play.

"He's a great player, a smart player," Wagner said. "All the things he do on the court it don't really surprise none of us because we see it all the practice and just how much work everybody put in. We all got confidence in each other. Big Z been showing how much he can play and how talented he is, really how skilled he is, just doing all the things he can do on the court."

Ivisic was a late bloomer for Kentucky, against his will. Despite gaining admission to the University of Kentucky before the season, Ivisic did not receiver his waiver to play from the NCAA until Jan. 20. He didn't allow his eligibility to go to waste.

In Ivisic's first game as a Wildcat, he exploded for 13 points and three blocks while shooting 5-7 from the field and 3-4 from beyond the arc. The 20-year-old talent nearly blew the roof off Rupp Arena in only 16 minutes of play.

jbcarol

Calipari gets feisty in defense of DJ Wagner

by:
Sam Gillenwater

QuoteDJ Wagner just needed time to get back into the swing of things after missing games a few weeks back. That's why John Calipari isn't letting anyone critique his point guard too harshly for having to take a second to regain his footing.

During his postgame press conference on Wednesday after Kentucky won 93-77 over Vanderbilt, one media member mentioned Wagner's cold stretch in a question about his recent resurgence. In response, Calipari did make it clear that he wouldn't expect that reporter to be any better.

"He was out two and a half weeks and did not touch a basketball," Calipari explained.

"You would miss 40 in a row – yes, you would," bantered Calipari with the reporter. "And layups. You'd shoot airballs on layups. You didn't even have to take time off to do that."

As Wagner continued to rehab from a high-ankle sprain that he suffered from earlier in the season, he missed three games for the Wildcats. With that being the case, Wagner scored zero or in single digits in seven games over the course of a month. His struggles from three were especially a part of that as he missed all 15 of his attempts from deep.

jbcarol

Top-20 recruit Karter Knox sets commitment date

by:
Joe Tipton

QuoteAtlanta (Ga.) Overtime Elite small forward Karter Knox has set his commitment date. The 6-foot-6, 211-pound senior will announce his decision on Saturday, March 9th at halftime of Game 2 live on the Overtime Elite broadcast.

Knox is set to choose between four options — Kentucky, Louisville, South Florida, and a return to the Overtime Elite league for a post-grad year.

He has a unique tie to each of the three schools on his list. At Louisville, head coach Kenny Payne recruited Karter's brother, Kevin Knox, while serving as an assistant coach at Kentucky a few years back. At Kentucky, head coach John Calipari coached Kevin and at South Florida, Karter's other brother, Kobe, is currently on the basketball team.

Knox talks Kentucky, Louisville, & USF
Kentucky: "They really just want me. They think they can make me a one-and-done, and go to the pros. They think they can really develop my game and they think I fit in their style of play. Cal really loves me and the coaching staff really loves me. When I went there (to Lexington), it was really like a basketball city. Kentucky, that's really all they got. The fans are crazy for Kentucky and the stadium will be packed damn near every game."

jbcarol

Top 10 Glue Guys in College Basketball

QuoteAdou Thiero, Kentucky: The Wildcats' offense has captivated college basketball, which is directly related to playing someone like this guy as a small ball power forward. Thiero is one of the few players on Kentucky's roster that can have a great impact on the game without demanding shots. The 6-8 sophomore is averaging 12 points and seven rebounds this season in games where he's played 30 minutes or more.

Triple-J, Tennessee: The Vols' decision to primarily play James at the four has allowed better rhythm and flow to their offense. Rick Barnes calls James a "fix it" guy. He couldn't be more right. Whatever Tennessee needs done, this guy does. A valuable ball mover on offense and versatile defender on defense, the 6-6 James will have a major role in whether or not the Vols can wind up as a number one seed in the NCAA Tournament for the first time in program history.

Cam Matthews, Mississippi State: Chris Jans is on the verge of taking Mississippi State to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments. It wouldn't have happened without Matthews. Of all the players that personify Jans' tough-minded approach, Matthews is at the top of the list. Capable of guarding five different positions, Matthews is a 6-7 swiss army knife who gets a little better each and every time that he takes the floor.

jbcarol

SEC names Players of the Week following last weekend of the regular season

by:
Alex Weber

QuoteAfter the final week of the regular season, the Southeastern Conference has announced its Week 18 Players of the Week before everyone heads to Nashville for the SEC tourney.

Leading off as Co-Player of the Week is a guy who's a primary candidate for SEC Player of the Year in Kentucky's Antonio Reeves

This past week, Reeves totaled 20 points, six rebounds and four assists in a humdrum Senior Day win over Vanderbilt and then tied his second-highest scoring mark of the season with 27 points on 11 shot attempts in a massive win at Tennessee this weekend.

The other Co-Player of the Week was Texas A&M's Manny Obaseki, a reserve guard who popped for some huge performances this week in a sweep of Mississippi schools to help the Aggies' NCAA Tournament chances immensely.

Lastly, the Freshman of the Week went to — no surprise — a Kentucky player. Six different Wildcats won the Rookie of the Week this season, including Reed Sheppard, who's already won multiple times before put picked up the award one more time after one heck of a week, especially in Knoxville.

Sheppard took just six shots and scored eight points against Vanderbilt, but just like Reeves, he exploded for 27 in the win over Tennessee. Frankly, Sheppard's were a little more impressive, as he knocked in six of seven 3-point tries in the second half, mostly contested, to slay the Volunteers in Food City.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
All-SEC First-Team, per release:

Mark Sears, Alabama
Johni Broome, Auburn
Zyon Pullin, Florida
Antonio Reeves, Kentucky
Tolu Smith, Mississippi State
Dalton Knecht, Tennessee
Zakai Zeigler, Tennessee
Wade Taylor IV, Texas A&M
2:10 PM · Mar 11, 2024

jbcarol

2024 SEC Men's Basketball Awards announced

The Southeastern Conference unveiled its men's basketball post season awards Monday as selected by the league's 14 head coaches.

2023-24 SEC Men's Basketball Awards
Coach of the Year: Lamont Paris, South Carolina

Player of the Year: Dalton Knecht, Tennessee

Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Sean East II, Missouri

Freshman of the Year: Reed Sheppard, Kentucky

Sixth-Man of the Year: Rob Dillingham, Kentucky

Defensive Player of the Year: Zakai Zeigler, Tennessee

First Team
Mark Sears, Alabama

Johni Broome, Auburn

Zyon Pullin, Florida

Antonio Reeves, Kentucky

Tolu Smith III, Mississippi State

Dalton Knecht, Tennessee

Zakai Zeigler, Tennessee

Wade Taylor IV, Texas A&M

‌Second Team
Jaylin Williams, Auburn

Walter Clayton Jr., Florida

Rob Dillingham, Kentucky

Reed Sheppard, Kentucky

Matthew Murrell, Ole Miss

Josh Hubbard, Mississippi State

Ta'Lon Cooper, South Carolina

Meechie Johnson, South Carolina

Jonas Aidoo, Tennessee

All-Defensive Team
Johni Broome, Auburn

Cameron Matthews, Mississippi State

Jonas Aidoo, Tennessee

Zakai Zeigler, Tennessee

Andersson Garcia, Texas A&M

All-Freshman Team
Aden Holloway, Auburn

Alex Condon, Florida

Silas Demary Jr., Georgia

Rob Dillingham, Kentucky

Reed Sheppard, Kentucky

D.J. Wagner, Kentucky

Josh Hubbard, Mississippi State

Collin Murray-Boyles, South Carolina

jbcarol

Wes Rucker
@wesrucker247
Look at Blue Cain climbing the ladder at the rim to force big man to miss a shot in the last minute.

The heart of a Knoxville Catholic Fighting Irishman, IMO.
11:35 PM · Mar 13, 2024
·

jbcarol

College Basketball: National Freshman of the Year Power Ranking

by:
Jamie Shaw

Quote1. G Reed Sheppard, Kentucky
2023-24 Stats: 31 games. 5 starts. 12.7 points. 4.3 rebounds. 4.5 assists. 2.5 steals. 52.6% 3P

The Buzz: Reed Sheppard has been a steady factor all season for Kentucky. His highs never get too high and his lows bottom out. Sheppard has proven to be one of the premier shooters in the college games, but also a nice connecting guard, able to move the ball around and take hold of the primary ball-handling.

3. G Robert Dillingham, Kentucky
2023-24 Stats: 30 games. 1 start. 15.0 points. 2.8 rebounds. 3.8 assists. 1.1 steals. 44.5% 3P.

The Buzz: Robert Dillingham has a hint of electricity in his game. That electricity tends to show itself every game, as he gets on a hot streak and carries his Kentucky team on a memorable run. Dillingham is one of the best one-on-one offensive players currently in college basketball. Even with his defensive lapses and some of his ball-stopping tendencies, Dillingham puts the ball in the basket at a high clip. And he ofttimes creates real momentum.

7. F Collin Murray-Boyles, South Carolina
2023-24 Stats: 25 games. 16 starts. 10.3 points. 5.7 rebounds. 1.8 assists. 1.0 steals. 61.7% FG.

The Buzz: Collin Murray-Boyles missed the first six games of the season with an illness. South Carolina started the season off strong, and they have not missed a beat once he returned. In fact, the Gamecocks have looked stronger as a team with Murray-Boyles in the lineup. Murray-Boyles came off the bench for his first nine games played, getting acclimated and his strength back. In his 16 games since being named a starter, the 6-foot-7 freshman has averaged 12.6 points, 7.5 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.4 steals, and 1.4 blocks, while shooting 63.4 percent from the field. South Carolina enters the SEC Tournament as a five-seed

10. G Josh Hubbard, Mississippi State
2023-24 Stats: 31 games. 12 starts. 16.8 points. 2.2 rebounds. 1.8 assists. 36.7% 3P.

The Buzz: Josh Hubbard, the state of Mississippi's all-time leading high school scorer, is a pure bucket-getter. The 5-foot-10 guard came into Starkville and did not miss a beat from his high school days. Even only inserted into the starting lineup for the last part of the year, Hubbard finished in double figures in 26 of 31 games. The freshman continued to get better as the season wore on, as he averaged 18.4 points in SEC play. Hubbard earned SEC All-Freshman as he led all freshmen in scoring in the conference and led the SEC in three-pointers made.

jbcarol

Tennessee's Dalton Knecht named AP's SEC player of year; South Carolina's Paris is coach of year

QuoteTennessee forward Dalton Knecht, a transfer who helped lead the fifth-ranked Volunteers to a Southeastern Conference regular-season championship, is the league's Associated Press player of the year and newcomer of the year.

South Carolina's Lamont Paris was named coach of the year in voting by 14 reporters covering the SEC released on Tuesday. Knecht and Auburn forward Johni Broome were both unanimous first-team picks.

FIRST TEAM
Guard — Antonio Reeves, Kentucky, 5th year, 6-6, 195, Chicago.

Guard — Mark Sears, Alabama, Sr., 6-1, 185, Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

u-Guard — Dalton Knecht, Tennessee, 5th year, 6-6, 213, Thornton, Colorado.

u-Forward — Johni Broome, Auburn, Jr., 6-10, 240, Plant City, Florida.

t-Forward — Tolu Smith, Mississippi State, grad, 6-11, 245, Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.

t-Forward — Jonas Aidoo, Tennessee, Jr., 6-11, 240, Durham, North Carolina.

t-tied for first team.

SECOND TEAM
Guard — Wade Taylor IV, Texas A&M, Jr. 6-0, 175, Dallas.

Guard — Reed Sheppard, Kentucky, Fr., 6-3, 187, London, Kentucky.

Guard — Zakai Ziegler, Tennessee, Jr., 5-9, 171, Long Island, New York.

Forward — Jaylin Williams, Auburn, grad, 6-8, 245, Nahunta, Georgia.

Forward — Tyrese Samuel, Florida, grad, 6-10, 239, Montreal.

INDIVIDUAL HONORS
Coach of the year — Lamont Paris, South Carolina.

Player of the year — Dalton Knecht, Tennessee.

Newcomer of the year — Dalton Knecht, Tennessee.

u-denotes unanimous pick.

___
AP All-SEC Voting Panel: Nick Alvarez, al.com; Rick Bozich, WDRB-TV; Kevin Brockway, Gainesville Sun; Travis Brown, Bryan-College Station Eagle; Adam Cole, Opelika-Auburn News; Madison Hricik, The State; Brian Holland, WVLA-TV, WGMB-TV; Bob Holt, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette; Michael Katz, Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal; Blair Kerkhoff, Kansas City Star; Stefan Krajisnik, Clarion-Ledger; Lauren Walsh, WSMV-TV; Marc Weiszer, Athens Banner-Herald; Mike Wilson, Knoxville News Sentinel.

___ AP Sports Writer Teresa Walker contributed to this report.

jbcarol

Anthony Thompson talks visits; updates Texas, Ohio State, Xavier, Indiana, and Illinois

by:
Jamie Shaw

QuoteAnthony Thompson jumped to No. 57 in the recent 2026 On3 150 ranking update. The 6-foot-7 forward has averaged close to 15.0 points, 8.0 rebounds, and 2.0 blocks this season for Lebanon (OH) High School this season.

"I would say my game is very versatile. I feel I can do whatever is asked of me on the court," Thompson told On3. "My best attributes are probably my shooting ability and my rebounding. I've always been a huge KD (Kevin Durant) guy, and I've always watched any film of him that I can. More recently, I have watched a lot of Jayson Tatum and tried to use his ways of creating space on his moves and add that to my game."

TEXAS: "Texas is always a winning program and has professional alumni in the league."

In Anthony Thompson's Words
"My dad played D2 basketball at Wheeling University," Thompson said.

"I want to go to a school that allows me to develop into a great player to be able to play professionally. And a place where I can be comfortable around coaching staff and players. I'd say I'm most comfortable playing fast and in transition, but also just a controlled offense that is able to score off whatever the defense gives."

jbcarol

John Calipari sends strong message Aaron Bradshaw ahead of NCAA Tournament

Tough talk for the tall and long
by:
Dan Morrison

Quote"What they saw today, after bowling, they had a tape of themselves on their iPad and us being unbelievable defensively," John Calipari said. "Because, you have to admit, there have been games where we've been unbelievable defensively. So, what's happening here when we're not? Then, they saw themselves in that video. Today, I wanted to have them see us, and how we played, how we passed, and the plays we made and the hard plays we made.

"The other guy that I saw that looked really good on there was Aaron, and I told Aaron, 'You do exactly what I told Reed to do. If I take you out because you're not getting rebounds, you just say, Coach, stick with me and I'm gonna put you right back in the game. You tell me that.' Because he looked good on the tape. Like, we're that guy from being, woo."

John Calipari snaps back when asked about pressure facing Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament

jbcarol