Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alex Wood

Started by JIHawg, January 01, 2006, 10:58:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

There are conflicting reports on his status as a candidate for the other assistant coaching position.  A poster on here stated that his wife was not going to move to Fayetteville.  Dottie posted on Razors Edge that he and his wife is visiting Fayetteville this week.  He was my favorite candidate having all the NFL ties with 20 years coaching, plus being the mentor of Dante Culpepper with the Vickings.

Anyone heard any update on his status?  He does meet the minority test, which I would think gives him a leg up on Sanders and Sullivan.

berryhog

I don't have any info on whether he will come here not, but he sounds like the best choice to me.  I believe his experience with a successful NFL QB would be a great selling point for recruits and to help develop what talent we already have on campus.

Thrilbilly

Wood is my pick. If he comes i just hope it is not to late for him and GM to swing some decent recruits our way.

PulledPork

I wouldn't have a prob with it, anyone that is not a friend of NumbNutts, is a friend of mine..... ;D

Foshodo

If he's a good coach, bring him in...

I dont care if we have the best coaches in america... just get ones that are good at what they do.

D. West

January 01, 2006, 11:38:59 pm #5 Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 11:53:38 pm by D. West
Alex Wood will be in town this week with his wife. She wants to check out the NWA area.
I think he will be hired sometime this week. They want to get it over ASAP.
When that man named Dottie over on the Edge talks...listen. He is my main man.

JIHawg

D West-been aiming to ask you-what's the status of Dallas Washington?  Do you think he is SEC talent?

D. West

January 01, 2006, 11:49:52 pm #7 Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 11:56:48 pm by D. West
I told Dallas Washington last week sometime via message, that he needs to get involved in the Return game.
He is about 200 pounds and will knock you out.

There's a lot of talk of him transferring, but unless he lied to me, he's here for the stay.
He's not really the Kenny Hamlin type, but you look at a guy like Ko Simpson of South Carolina, and that's what you've got in DW.
He is legit.

mikeirwin

Quote from: D. West on January 01, 2006, 11:38:59 pm
Alex Wood will be in town this week with his wife. She wants to check out the NWA area.

Quote from: Thrilbilly on January 01, 2006, 11:15:58 pm
Wood is my pick. If he comes i just hope it is not to late for him and GM to swing some decent recruits our way.
I assume he'd have to take the test just like Gus. I doubt he'd get into too many homes. That's like a two week process.

razorback4life

Quote from: mikeirwin on January 01, 2006, 11:59:29 pm

I assume he'd have to take the test just like Gus. I doubt he'd get into too many homes. That's like a two week process.

I think the test is graded right after you take it.  Depending on how much time he needed to study, which he probably has already been studying, he may be able to take it and start recruiting.  Unless there is a waiting period after you pass your test before you are clear to recruit off campus.

D. West

Wood would have to be cleared just as anyone else, by the NCAA and the test.
That may take up to half a week, and then he'd only have about 2.5, maybe 3 weeks to hit the road recruiting.
The test is graded the next day, but then there's the moving and processing factors.
They have strung this out longer than intended, but Wood has been the holdup. If they get him, the time they lost means less.
But if by some chance they don't get Wood, you'll be looking at possibly another week to get Pat Sullivan hired and cleared.

They have 4 coaches on the recruiting trail hard this week, in Shreveport. Should be a big week.

razorback4life

Quote from: JIHawg on January 01, 2006, 10:58:35 pm
Anyone heard any update on his status? He does meet the minority test, which I would think gives him a leg up on Sanders and Sullivan.

If he takes the job, which it looks like he will since he was in town, we should know for sure by mid week....I would hope.  And to answer your other question about the minority hire....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thrilbilly

I don't care if he is minority, majority or red white blue as long as he can coach and recruit!

razorback4life

Quote from: Thrilbilly on January 02, 2006, 12:20:56 am
I don't care if he is minority, majority or red white blue as long as he can coach and recruit!

You would care when other teams would start using the issue of race against us for only having one black coach on our FB team, especially after the Nolan crap.

Thrilbilly

Quote from: pseudorabies on January 02, 2006, 12:29:32 am
Quote from: Thrilbilly on January 02, 2006, 12:20:56 am

You would care when other teams would start using the issue of race against us for only having one black coach on our FB team, especially after the Nolan crap.

You make a point I had not considered. Recruiting is ruthless!

Bacons Rebellion

Wood is my favorite on the list. At least we're getting Mrs. Wood on an official visit. That's the first step. Like we were saying the other day, "You have to sell the mommas." She might have been hesitating because they were in Wyoming for a while.

Does Ms. Wood read the board? She's a lovely woman.

Razorod

To my knowledge, we still have not designated a recruiting coordinator (or have we?). In order to get Wood and pay him more money do you think Nutt will designate Wood as both QBs coach and recruiting coordinator? From the interviews so far, it seems like Wood has some recruting abilities and even likes it. Also, it may take a title of coordinator to get him.

Is this scenario plausible?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Thrilbilly

He is evidently a good recruiter. As he said, he got big city boys to go to Wyoming. That my friends would be a feat in itself!!

So yes, he could easily coordinate the recruiting.

SwineOnTheLine

Word is that he may be holding out for an NFL job and dragging out the hiring process.We should know something concrete by Wed.

JJHog

dottie is very reliable, very.
" Think Right, Do Right"

dman

:) :)I taught at Atlanta High while Dallas was a student.  He is tough as they come and has excellent football genes.  I hope he makes it big time.  I too would like to see him in the return game. :razorback: :razorback:

mikeirwin

If Bill Parcells retires in the next few days you may see David Lee back in the mix.

PulledPork

Quote from: D. West on January 02, 2006, 12:07:51 am
Wood would have to be cleared just as anyone else, by the NCAA and the test.
That may take up to half a week, and then he'd only have about 2.5, maybe 3 weeks to hit the road recruiting.
The test is graded the next day, but then there's the moving and processing factors.
They have strung this out longer than intended, but Wood has been the holdup. If they get him, the time they lost means less.
But if by some chance they don't get Wood, you'll be looking at possibly another week to get Pat Sullivan hired and cleared.

They have 4 coaches on the recruiting trail hard this week, in Shreveport. Should be a big week.
I thought Sullivan was already a coach somewhere in the NCAA?  Why would he have to take the test?

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: mikeirwin on January 02, 2006, 11:56:16 am
If Bill Parcells retires in the next few days you may see David Lee back in the mix.

I think David will be shooting higher IMHO.

Bacon out...

BentonvilleJeff

I don't think Parcells will retire. I think he is just leveraging himself for a new contract extension since he will be working on the last year of his deal next season. He needs more years added to get free agents. Kind of like recruiting.

CorningHog

For some reason, Alex Wood was the candidate that stood out to me too.

Not because he is black, or not, just from his comments, his background, and of course, he sounds like a great "coach".

I expect if we can get him, it will pay off big for us in the short & long term.

But, since we are limited to what we read and see, my hope is get the "best" coach, teacher, recruiter, etc....we can get.

I hope that is how it plays out anyway.

If he wants the recruiting coordinator's position, let him get our maximum available salary to entice him.  He should be well compensated since he has so much experience and all.

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

Chief Mac

Quote from: mikeirwin on January 01, 2006, 11:59:29 pm

Since he has coached in the NCAA would he not have already taken the test at some point in the past?

1978 University of Iowa Graduate Assistant
1979–80 Kent State University Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers
1981 Southern Illinois University Defensive Backs
1982–84 Southern University Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs
1985–86 University of Wyoming Wide Receivers
1987–88 Washington State University Tight Ends
1989–92 University of Miami Running Backs
1993–94 Wake Forest University Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
1995–98 James Madison University Head Coach
1999–2002 Minnesota Vikings Quarterbacks
2003 Cincinnati Bengals Wide Receivers
2004 Arizona Cardinals Offensive Coordinator

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

TulsaHogFan

Who is Dottie?  Donita?  Who are they?

JIHawg

Dottie (he posts under his wife's name) is a high school football coach in SE Texas that is very very close to the program and coaches.  When he says it, you can take it to the bank.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: JIHawg on January 02, 2006, 02:51:37 pm
Dottie (he posts under his wife's name) is a high school football coach in SE Texas that is very very close to the program and coaches. When he says it, you can take it to the bank.

Really, good to know.  Thanks for updating me.

BTW it sounded like she said that she would never live in NWA, but seriously, once she gets a chance to visit and actually see what its like and how great of an atmosphere it is, NWA will sell itself.  I am not worried about that, i am pumped she is making the visit. 

Let Broyles sell her on the place, i still think the guy is the ultimate salesman when it comes to assistant coaching positions.

Jim Harris

Dottie (he posts under his wife's name) is a high school football coach in SE Texas that is very very close to the program and coaches. When he says it, you can take it to the bank.

Dottie is actually the retired father of the high school football coach in SE Texas and, yes, is close to the program, or at least he can call and they tell him just about everything he asks.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: drakehog on January 02, 2006, 03:02:43 pm

Dottie is actually the retired father of the high school football coach in SE Texas and, yes, is close to the program, or at least he can call and they tell him just about everything he asks.

Is that high school in SE texas putting out any D1 prospects?  Sounds like a great source of some talent at least once or twice every few years.

DirkPiggler

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on January 02, 2006, 03:16:11 pm
Quote from: drakehog on January 02, 2006, 03:02:43 pm

Is that high school in SE texas putting out any D1 prospects? Sounds like a great source of some talent at least once or twice every few years.

Seems like I remember his son was at Galveston Ball when we signed Lawrence Richardson and Marvin Jackson, but I'm not sure about that.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

D. West

Dottie's son sent Clint Stoerner, Marvin Jackson, and Lawrence Richardson to the UofA.
Dottie puts the coaches on many kids and he's my main guy for news. He is the man.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: D. West on January 02, 2006, 03:43:34 pm
Dottie's son sent Clint Stoerner, Marvin Jackson, and Lawrence Richardson to the UofA.
Dottie puts the coaches on many kids and he's my main guy for news. He is the man.

Hey D!  Here are a couple of pictures of our "Pig Drop" on New Years Eve.  We used the flag pole beside Dottie's Deck.  He called last night while I was at the game.  Mrs. TH told him about the "Pig Drop".  He thought it sounded cool. ;D

Skip Foreplay

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on January 02, 2006, 07:39:47 am
Wood is my favorite on the list. At least we're getting Mrs. Wood on an official visit. That's the first step. Like we were saying the other day, "You have to sell the mommas." She might have been hesitating because they were in Wyoming for a while.

Does Ms. Wood read the board? She's a lovely woman.

Cajun Hog

David is out.  Women......................

Oklahawg

I thought I read that the coaches have to take the test annually. Wood hasn't taken it this year (as far as we know). It took Gus a while to get that test completed and the results certified. The fortunate thing with an NFL guy is that there is an obvious resume to recruit with. While the guy can't do it himself the info can be in the hands of the other coaches.

This is a much better plan than the way we filled DL coaching slots a few years back.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra