Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Randy Savage is dead

Started by jbcarol, May 20, 2011, 11:40:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Randy Poffo died in a car accident.  More detail to come.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

My dad tells stories of Savage in a Nashville-based promotion in the late-70s. Lanny was roided up at the time and was the company face.  Savage's top rope stuff were radical at the time.  His father Angelo was a big heel as well.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

dhornjr1

Damn. Hate to hear that. One of the best heels of the 80's. His match with Ricky Steamboat at Wrestlemania III is still considered one of the greatest ever.

Hogs_fan_for_life

Here's a final "OOOOOO YEAH! BROTHER" to you Macho!

Silver Hog

jbcarol

QuoteRandy Poffo may have flirted with a baseball career but professional wrestling was in his genes. Randy's father, Angelo Poffo had traveled many of the territories dating back to the late 1940s. Randy's younger brother, Lanny, also worked as a wrestler. After a few seasons of minor league ball, Randy struck out on his own and made wrestling his career.

Randy worked several territories before his first stay with Gulas in 1978 including the Detroit office, the Mid-Atlantic office, the Gulf Coast office and the Atlanta office. It was during his early years in the business when veteran Ole Anderson took a look at Poffo, who was working preliminary matches at the time, and described him as "savage". Soon, Randy Poffo became known as Randy Savage.

Angelo and Lanny Poffo entered the Gulas territory in 1977 and made a quick impact. Little did area fans know what was in store for them when 1978 rolled around. In short, the madness began.

Randy Savage debuted in January and won the Mid-America title. Wearing long sparkling robes and big sunglasses Savage cut an uncommon visual image to Gulas fans since few heels in the area had been so flashy and showy. On interviews his growl of a voice and physical intensity set him apart from others in the area. In ring, Savage's natural athletic ability shown through as he was constant motion and a bit of a daredevil for the era, using the top rope as if it were his best friend. When the entire package was put together Randy Savage was a swirling, whirling menace who came across as someone who walked a fine line between stability and madness.

Proclaiming himself "Macho Man", Savage feuded early in his Gulas stay with Pistol Pez Whatley, who had become a headliner in the area the previous summer. From here Savage next worked a feud against Dutch Mantel, which eventually involved promoter/matchmaker Tom Renesto, Sr. teaming with Mantel. Savage's most frequent partner in this feud was The Masked Carpetbagger, Angelo Poffo under a mask.

In the spring Savage dropped the Mid-America title to Mantel and left the area. He worked the New Brunswick promotion for Emile Dupree during the summer and into the fall. As winter approached, Savage returned for another run for Gulas.

Savage downed Dutch Mantel to regain the Mid-America title in November. Savage would hold the belt for several months taking on challenges from Mantel, The Mexican Angel, Bobby Eaton and Walter Johnson, among others.

The Poffos all left the Gulas promotion by the early half of 1979. Lanny began working the Nova Scotia territory in 1978 after leaving Tennessee and Savage would follow in 1979. There, Lanny became ICW champion. Savage would defeat him and claim the title. Later in 1979 the Poffos and Savage would move to Kentucky and run cards there under the ICW banner. There they would compete for the attention of fans in the Knoxville area by challenging Ron Fuller's Southeastern promotion. Later, they would challenge Jerry Jarrett's promotional efforts in Kentucky.

1978 though was a pivotal year in the career of Randy Savage as he was one of Nick Gulas's major attractions. He was able to step away from his father and brother's shadows and prove his ability as a singles star. In time, Randy Savage would become a major force in the wrestling business but in order to get to the road where success lived he, his father and brother would travel down some detours along the way. Part of that road went through the Gulas territory where Savage could look at his accomplishments there and say, "Oh, yeah!"

Kayfabe Memories

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on May 18, 2011, 09:16:56 pm
True. Still pissed about them tossing aside Jay Lethal.

Might be time to bring him back.

hogfan064

Now maybe Vince will put him in the HOF

jbcarol

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 20, 2011, 01:57:59 pm
Now maybe Vince will put him in the HOF

Hopefully ahead of Michael Cole.

jbcarol

He will probably enter the Hall of Fame the same way Pete Rose will enter the Baseball Hall of Fame, posthumously.

hydrophonic

I'm pretty sure I have the Macho Man DVD set around here somewhere.  Might be time to take the shrink-wrap off.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

widespreadsooie

He hit 16 home runs as a minor leaguer in 4 seasons.

jbcarol

dhornjr1

Here's the classic match when Savage won the Intercontinental Title from Tito Santana at the old Boston Garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puorlFZAt2s

TomasPistola

Guess all those Slim Jim's finally snapped back. Hate to hear it. He's one of my all time favorites.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

fineswine

It's a sad time.  Another star from my younger years passing on. Savage was truly unique.  He was a fantastic athlete, and, in my opinion, the greatest ever at the promo/interview.  My favorite wrestler, R.I.P.

Hogwop

been watching some of his old matches today, RIP mach!
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

who knows

RIP Mach...one of my all time faves...
Quote from: Ftsmithmike on October 07, 2011, 03:56:29 pm
This is what Game Day should look like.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: jbcarol on May 20, 2011, 01:14:14 pm
Might be time to bring him back.
Knowing Lethal, he probably wouldn't do it out of respect. You watch Hogan or Bischoff though, they will do something tasteless before it's over.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton