Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thanks to Broyles and Lindsey

Started by EastexHawg, December 19, 2005, 11:01:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

As I sit and watch recruiting go down the toilet...

And as I think back over two straight losing seasons...

And as I look at our trends over the last several years, such as number of SEC wins:

2002: 5
2003: 4
2004: 3
2005: 2

As I think about losing at home to Vanderbilt, getting gang raped on national TV at USC, falling to 2-6 in the SEC and finishing only above the wretched Mississippi schools...

I just have to send out a huge THANK YOU to Frank Broyles and Jim Lindsey for fighting so hard to keep Houston Nutt, our esteemed head football coach and much-ballyhooed great recruiter, on the job.  We could have had Butch Davis, a unified fan base, and a real shot in the arm to recruiting, but JFB and Lindsey were able to ensure we got more of Houston Nutt and all he brings to the table instead.

Once again, kudos, guys.  You did an awesome job of wrestling defeat from the jaws of victory.  It would have been easy to cave in and hire one of the top coaches in America instead of keeping a coach who has a 21-28 record in conference games this decade, hasn't beaten a conference opponent with a winning record in over three years, and can't land four D-1 prospects from ten miles away...but you persevered.

Salute!

JJHog

I feel the same way.

The only thing that makes any kind of sense to me and keeps me from pulling my hair out regarding the whole thing is....they made him a promise for 2 years and they are keeping their word.
" Think Right, Do Right"

hoggystyle78

I'm right there with you Easter, it's unbelievable that this is allowed to go on, but as long as the huggers keep going to games and buying merchandise there will be no reason to change anything. Money is the king of the hill not success. Maybe after people see nutt's hands all over the offense next year and it costs us a game or two, people will grab their balls and do what the Detroit Lions fans did yesterday, when that time comes I'll be there with my fire nutt sack on. And if any of you don't like it TOO BAD!

Hogs4Ever

December 19, 2005, 11:22:55 am #3 Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 11:24:39 am by Hogs4Ever
In Detroit they are calling for Millen's head.  Why aren't more people blaming this decline in the Razorback program on Broyles?  I have seen no one calling for his head on a platter.

It's sad times for the Football program.  Gus is the only bright spot so far.  Time to concentrate on basketball.  At least we show steady signs of improvement there!   :razorback:

Field of Hogs

I think I will go ahead and place my order for FSU gear. My 2nd favorite football team has became the my 1st.

bdutt

I keep waking up every morning thinking "How in the world is this guy still our coach?" It seems Arkansans have a great long-term memory (1998, '99 Tenn game, '99 Cotton Bowl) but have horrible short term memory (three words: 'Las Vegas Bowl' or 'Music City Bowl' or 'Vandy at home') We love to think of the great wins Nutt has given us but fail to realize that we could've had a coach who could put us in a situation to bring our program up another level to make us a national powerhouse. Ugh, I think I'm gonna be sick  :puke:
"Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who usually do."

Field of Hogs

Quote from: bdutt78 on December 19, 2005, 11:29:37 am
I keep waking up every morning thinking "How in the world is this guy still our coach?" It seems Arkansans have a great long-term memory (1998, '99 Tenn game, '99 Cotton Bowl) but have horrible short term memory (three words: 'Las Vegas Bowl' or 'Music City Bowl' or 'Vandy at home') We love to think of the great wins Nutt has given us but fail to realize that we could've had a coach who could put us in a situation to bring our program up another level to make us a national powerhouse. Ugh, I think I'm gonna be sick :puke:

This bs on the hill beats anything I have ever seen. Any other school would have fired him years ago. Only thing I figure is that he must Have a picture of Frank screwing a chicken. I wish I had that kind of job security.

lumphog

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 19, 2005, 11:01:50 am

And as I look at our trends over the last several years, such as number of SEC wins:

As I think about losing at home to Vanderbilt, getting gang raped on national TV at USC, falling to 2-6 in the SEC and finishing only above the wretched Mississippi schools...

I just have to send out a huge THANK YOU to Frank Broyles and Jim Lindsey for fighting so hard to keep Houston Nutt, our esteemed head football coach and much-ballyhooed great recruiter, on the job. We could have had Butch Davis, a unified fan base, and a real shot in the arm to recruiting, but JFB and Lindsey were able to ensure we got more of Houston Nutt and all he brings to the table instead.

Once again, kudos, guys. You did an awesome job of wrestling defeat from the jaws of victory. It would have been easy to cave in and hire one of the top coaches in America instead of keeping a coach who has a 21-28 record in conference games this decade, hasn't beaten a conference opponent with a winning record in over three years, and can't land four D-1 prospects from ten miles away...but you persevered.

Salute!
WELL  SAID......................THANKS FRANK & JIM !! ??? ??? :puke:

razorback4life

Quote from: opineonswine on December 19, 2005, 11:08:31 am
Quote from: JJHog on December 19, 2005, 11:06:49 am
I feel the same way.

The only thing that makes any kind of sense to me and keeps me from pulling my hair out regarding the whole thing is....they made him a promise for 2 years and they are keeping their word.

It's really that simple. Without the promise it would be night-night nutt.

Everyone be sure to send Lindsey a thank you card for that.  My bet is that this will stick to Lindsey the rest of his days.  My children will always remember him as the man who single handedly brought down our program.

Flatfoot

Dear Frank and Jim "The Grim Reaper of the Arkansas Razorback Football Program."

You have done an awesome job of potentially destroying Razorback Football as we know it.  Thank you for looking at the disgruntled fans as the 5 percenters, looking at the bottom line, falling attendance, the mishandling of Mitch, and giving Houston Nutt another year of mediocre football.  These five items should have told you that there needed to be a change.  Butch was waiting to give credibility back to the program.  I just want to know one thing, do you really give a shiite about the normal everyday fans.  I am not talking the money donors, but the normal Joe Hog.  If you did then you would listen to what we have been saying for the last year. 
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

Torqued pork

Broyles seemed somewhat indifferent about keeping Houston when the Huskers came calling. Lindsey was the moron that acted as if it was vital to keep him here despite the fact the 2003 team under-achieved. One would have thought Nutt's flirtation with LSU would have nullified any two year pass but HELL NO. Now we are stuck with a coach that has completely devided the fan base and is losing in-state recruits by record numbers. I'm encouraged with Malzahn being in charge of the offense, but I have a feeling we will be paying for the infamous two year pass for quite a while longer.

Field of Hogs

This whole situation is so pathetic. Have you ever heard of hiring a hs coach just so you can get 5 potential recruits. I remember when I was a kid growing up in Mississippi and me and my dad would have the radio out listening to the hogs/Holtz winning games. I finally get to move back here and this is what I get. PATHETIC! All I can say is go BB Hogs.

jreaganhog

This two year promise has been bandied(sp) about by everyone including Rick S.  I'm sure it is based in fact because there is NO OTHER explanation available for the current decision-making.

My question is this...I heard Rick S. say right before the end of the season that we would sign between 23-25 guys after initially only having 14 schollies available.  Where were the extra scholarships coming from you ask, paraphrasing Rick, for the good of the program some current players scholarships would not be renewed to take advantage of Mustain's commitment.

Okay, can someone tell me why its okay to break our promise to educate a 19 year old kid  but its not okay to break a promise to a coach who has consistently underachieved and exhibited very little in the way of skills to prove he can succeed at the D-1 level and is financially secure for the rest of his life?

How is that not at best inconsistent and at worse hypocritical?

Don't give me that junk about schollies being a one year contract either...I'm sure that when HDn gives his come be a razorback speech to the kid and his parents that he caveats it with, "...now, if you don't perform your out on your ear because you know schollies are a one year agreement."

Bottom line...promises are broken every day (hyperbole) but this one...one that could set the program back for years cannot.  I don't get it.

ncaasj

Quote from: Field of Hogs on December 19, 2005, 01:48:04 pm
Have you ever heard of hiring a hs coach just so you can get 5 potential recruits.

Unfortunately, high school coaches get jobs with colleges quite often because of the recruits they can bring (or potentially bring) with them.  This is not a new concept.
Without officials, it's only recess

Refstripes.com

EastexHawg

Quote from: ncaasj on December 19, 2005, 03:06:28 pm
Have you ever heard of hiring a hs coach just so you can get 5 potential recruits.

Unfortunately, high school coaches get jobs with colleges quite often because of the recruits they can bring (or potentially bring) with them.  This is not a new concept.

How many of them get coordinator positions?

bdutt

This whole situation is so pathetic. Have you ever heard of hiring a hs coach just so you can get 5 potential recruits. I remember when I was a kid growing up in Mississippi and me and my dad would have the radio out listening to the hogs/Holtz winning games. I finally get to move back here and this is what I get. PATHETIC! All I can say is go BB Hogs.

Michigan hired Jalen Rose's HS coach as an asst. to get him....so....yes, I've heard of it.
"Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who usually do."

Field of Hogs

The only reason gm got this job was to try to attract his 5 hs players. This program has been sinking since the Ford era. Anyone with any sense can see that. Thanks Frank!

Jim Harris

Quote from: bdutt78 on December 19, 2005, 04:16:57 pm

Michigan hired Jalen Rose's HS coach as an asst. to get him....so....yes, I've heard of it.

It's far more prevalent in basketball, where a coach can bring one or two players and make a huge difference, than football. Nutt talked to Kelvin Kight's coach out of Georgia in 2000 about coming aboard as an assistant to bring a receiver and some other players, potentially, out of Georgia. Nutt's kinda Nutty.
His brother can't recruit worth a darn at Arkansas State either after promising the administration over there that he would and claiming how great a job he did for Nelson Catalina. What a crock. They are all liars.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

HogDodging

I just have to send out a huge THANK YOU to Frank Broyles and Jim Lindsey for fighting so hard to keep Houston Nutt, our esteemed head football coach and much-ballyhooed great recruiter, on the job. We could have had Butch Davis, a unified fan base, and a real shot in the arm to recruiting, but JFB and Lindsey were able to ensure we got more of Houston Nutt and all he brings to the table instead.

Once again, kudos, guys. You did an awesome job of wrestling defeat from the jaws of victory. It would have been easy to cave in and hire one of the top coaches in America instead of keeping a coach who has a 21-28 record in conference games this decade, hasn't beaten a conference opponent with a winning record in over three years, and can't land four D-1 prospects from ten miles away...but you persevered.

Salute!

Can I use the last paragraph in a Christmas card to Frank?

Ex-Trumpet

Some of the posters on this board never cease to amaze me...there's a lot of knowledge here!!  Jim Lindsey and Frank Broyles are equated with being Satan--totally disregarding the fact that the UofA is one of only a HANDFUL of programs in the country that is not operating in the red; Houston Nutt is not capable of coaching Pop Warner, yada yada yada (different post?)...

Circumstances that would facilitate the hiring of Butch Davis involve much more than just the firing of Coach Nutt...Coach Nutt would have to be compensated for his early departure; Butch Davis/Cleveland Browns would have to be compensated...how many MILLIONS of dollars are we willing to fork out?  How much other red tape would have to be cut that we haven't a clue about?!?

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been happy with the results of the past few years; nor do I believe that Frank Broyles and Jim Lindsey are happy neither...to my knowledge, they are the only people involved (assuming Jim Lindsey is as involved as posters here would have us believe) that know what it takes to win a national championship!  I believe they want it as much as anybody here...maybe more; it is their legacy--what's my legacy?  Good karma on a message board?!?  Let's get real, people...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

JJHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 19, 2005, 04:27:09 pm

Salute!

Can I use the last paragraph in a Christmas card to Frank?

As far fetched as it may seem, I am clinging to the thinnest of threads that JFB and JL know more than I in this situation.

" Think Right, Do Right"

pikehog

I want to thanks Broyles and Lindsey for standing by their man.

Such loyalty and honesty and integirty is only demonstrated in one other man on earth......Houston Dale Nutt.......

I almost typed that without laughing, but had to stop and laugh my arse off.

Field of Hogs

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 19, 2005, 04:39:24 pm
Some of the posters on this board never cease to amaze me...there's a lot of knowledge here!!  Jim Lindsey and Frank Broyles are equated with being Satan--totally disregarding the fact that the UofA is one of only a HANDFUL of programs in the country that is not operating in the red; Houston Nutt is not capable of coaching Pop Warner, yada yada yada (different post?)...

Circumstances that would facilitate the hiring of Butch Davis involve much more than just the firing of Coach Nutt...Coach Nutt would have to be compensated for his early departure; Butch Davis/Cleveland Browns would have to be compensated...how many MILLIONS of dollars are we willing to fork out?  How much other red tape would have to be cut that we haven't a clue about?!?

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been happy with the results of the past few years; nor do I believe that Frank Broyles and Jim Lindsey are happy neither...to my knowledge, they are the only people involved (assuming Jim Lindsey is as involved as posters here would have us believe) that know what it takes to win a national championship!  I believe they want it as much as anybody here...maybe more; it is their legacy--what's my legacy?  Good karma on a message board?!?  Let's get real, people...

ballhog™

Quote from: Field of Hogs on December 19, 2005, 04:19:23 pm
The only reason gm got this job was to try to attract his 5 hs players. This program has been sinking since the Ford era. Anyone with any sense can see that. Thanks Frank!

I don't agree with any of this quote.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Field of Hogs

The millions we would fork out now to get his ass out of here would be alot less expensive than having 8,000 fans in the seats like ASU!

hogman64

You give  an employee a promise that he has two years in which his job performance  will not be judged.......after one year he openly shows interest in a job for one of your biggest competitors in town.........he doesnt get the job , but you feel compelled to keep the orginal promise..........sorry but I dont get it!!!!!!!!!!

Hog Bounty Hunter

Salute!

How about our losses.

2003-5
2004-6
2005-7
2006-?

PulledPork

Quote from: Field of Hogs on December 19, 2005, 11:26:18 am
I think I will go ahead and place my order for FSU gear. My 2nd favorite football team has became the my 1st.
Fresno State?   ;D

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Field of Hogs on December 19, 2005, 04:53:50 pm
       The millions we would fork out now to get his ass out of here would be alot less expensive than having 8,000 fans in the seats like ASU!

Well, then, step up to the table with your checkbook...where do you think the money's coming from!?!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

tophawg19

ex trumpet the money was put on the table to buy nutt out by a booster . money wasn't an issue stupidity was . and how do you get that J.L and JFB know what it takes to win a national championship ? hell they were to stupid to fire nutt .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PulledPork

common knowledge on this board that a certain booster had enough in his ashtray to take care of all parties involved.

Broyles couldn't pull the trigger or Lindsey pissed on the flint........

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 19, 2005, 05:11:13 pm
ex trumpet the money was put on the table to buy nutt out by a booster . money wasn't an issue stupidity was . and how do you get that J.L and JFB know what it takes to win a national championship ? hell they were to stupid to fire nutt .

You can honestly ask me THAT question and claim that JL and JFB were stupid!?!  And you claim to be a Razorback fan?  Do you have any history of Razorback football?  Like I said earlier, there's a LOT of "knowledge" spewing forth from this board!!

Torqued pork

Quote from: hogman64 on December 19, 2005, 05:01:06 pm
You give an employee a promise that he has two years in which his job performance will not be judged.......after one year he openly shows interest in a job for one of your biggest competitors in town.........he doesnt get the job , but you feel compelled to keep the orginal promise..........sorry but I dont get it!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with your post, but you failed to mention one thing - Nutt's salary was almost doubled the year before he lobbied for the LSU job. Broyles' and Lindsey's loyalty to Houston is beyond belief!

PulledPork

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 19, 2005, 05:17:45 pm

You can honestly ask me THAT question and claim that JL and JFB were stupid!?!  And you claim to be a Razorback fan?  Do you have any history of Razorback football?  Like I said earlier, there's a LOT of "knowledge" spewing forth from this board!!
just not from you unfortunately........

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jreaganhog on December 19, 2005, 02:31:42 pm
My question is this...I heard Rick S. say right before the end of the season that we would sign between 23-25 guys after initially only having 14 schollies available. Where were the extra scholarships coming from you ask, paraphrasing Rick, for the good of the program some current players scholarships would not be renewed to take advantage of Mustain's commitment.

We saw a lot of attrition since last spring, and more is coming.
[CENSORED]!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: PulledPork on December 19, 2005, 05:20:25 pm

I suppose that your post is just a teaser for the vast knowledge that you possess but is yet to be spoken!!

jreaganhog

BP, what sort of attrition?  Voluntary or compelled?

The compelled attrition that Schaffer alluded to might not be warranted given the Mustain decommit.

At one time, the possibility of quality players (Hillis, Winston) transferring out seemed be a good bet...maybe hiring Gus put that fire out. 

Can you imagine how hot it would get if the recruiting continues to go in the crapper and a Monk or Winston bolts?

hogsno1

Yes we would have to buy-out Nutt's contract as that is standard procedure. But we don't have to pay the Cleveland Browns anything to hire Butch. They are paying him a buy-out. The only time having to pay for getting a sought after coach is when he is in a contract, not in danger of being fired.

PulledPork

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 19, 2005, 05:30:53 pm
Quote from: PulledPork on December 19, 2005, 05:20:25 pm

I suppose that your post is just a teaser for the vast knowledge that you possess but is yet to be spoken!!
well, what makes your knowledge any better than mine?

PulledPork

Quote from: hogsno1 on December 19, 2005, 06:21:19 pm
Some of the posters on this board never cease to amaze me...there's a lot of knowledge here!! Jim Lindsey and Frank Broyles are equated with being Satan--totally disregarding the fact that the UofA is one of only a HANDFUL of programs in the country that is not operating in the red; Houston Nutt is not capable of coaching Pop Warner, yada yada yada (different post?)...

Circumstances that would facilitate the hiring of Butch Davis involve much more than just the firing of Coach Nutt...Coach Nutt would have to be compensated for his early departure; Butch Davis/Cleveland Browns would have to be compensated...how many MILLIONS of dollars are we willing to fork out? How much other red tape would have to be cut that we haven't a clue about?!?

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been happy with the results of the past few years; nor do I believe that Frank Broyles and Jim Lindsey are happy neither...to my knowledge, they are the only people involved (assuming Jim Lindsey is as involved as posters here would have us believe) that know what it takes to win a national championship! I believe they want it as much as anybody here...maybe more; it is their legacy--what's my legacy? Good karma on a message board?!? Let's get real, people...

Yes we would have to buy-out Nutt's contract as that is standard procedure. But we don't have to pay the Cleveland Browns anything to hire Butch. They are paying him a buy-out. The only time having to pay for getting a sought after coach is when he is in a contract, not in danger of being fired.
don't worry Hogsno1, ex-blower has the only knowledge on this thread, we have lost.....waaaaaaaaaa!