Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reality on the Darkside for UofA Athletics - Robert Shields

Started by Robert Shields, December 19, 2005, 10:52:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

December 19, 2005, 10:52:22 am Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 11:00:46 am by FullMetalPiglet
Reality is on the Darkside for UA Athletics

Robert T. Shields

First, an apology to Chuck Neinas who was the hired goon the UofA used during the Great Stadium Debate back in 2000 to recommend that all games be moved to Fayetteville. And don't get excited that this is another one of my diatribes on the GSD because it's not.

I laughed and mocked Neinas for his presentation, and in particular his drawn comparison between the Razorbacks and Rutgers. I could not believe the guy even thought the two programs were comparable and thought it showed his lack of understanding on the situation. I look now and the two programs are very comparable as Rutgers is headed to a bowl game and the Razorbacks stay at home and try to patch its coaching staff again.

Now back to the negativity that I am consumed by because of the current state of the Razorback athletic department. I wrote a year ago that Oklahoma State's athletic program was in much better shape. Despite Les Miles' departure to LSU and a down year for the football Cowboys, I say the two are not even at the same level anymore. OSU basketball is still one of the top programs in the country, and they even do it without all the new facilities we keep being told will bring us to the promised land.

Fans have two perceptions right now of the Program -- one being things will be all right and the other being the sky has already fallen and landed in Fayetteville. But there can only be one truth.

One side calls the positive people "sunshine pumpers," while the sunshine pumpers call the negative ones "darksiders." I am afraid reality is on the darkside. Your Program is sunk right now, not sinking. The only way to bring it back to positive floatation is pulling the complete athletic department out by the wiring.

Again, to save a team that went 4-7 last year, the answer in the offseason was to hire a high school coach. Unbelievable, to people outside the program. Several writers from outside the state called it risky to assume that Gus Malzahn will step into the SEC in his first year and jump to the proficiency level of his peer group of Al Borges at Auburn, Dave Rader at Alabama, Jimbo Fisher at LSU, David Cutcliffe at Tennessee, Urban Meyer at Florida, Mark Richt at Georgia, and Steve Spurrier at South Carolina. Now that is a huge leap of faith, or maybe it is just desperation.

Your recruiting class is in shambles after the decommittment of Mitch Mustain (and he has decommitted even if Rick Schaeffer can't bring himself to say the words on Drive Time Sports). Just a couple of weeks ago the Hogs had only six verbal commitments with just a little over a month to go. Most of the hay should have already been put away in the barn, which leads me to believe the coaching staff will have to go out on a limb on many players of questionable ability.

Razorback basketball has also fallen on hard times, basically missing NCAA play for going on almost half a decade. The numbers have fallen in attendance as well as ticket sales. The brand of basketball is boring and key victories have been few or none.

The quotes from the athletic director being laisez faire about falling attendance because he looks at the "bottom line" is disturbing. I always knew money was king up on the hill but to admit is frightening. As a fan you do not matter, what matters is the folding money. (And what exactly they are spending all this money on is a topic for another column because I sure don't see many returns other than the big stadium with 10,000 empty seats every game.)

However, I hear more and more people talk about spending their own folding money on something else, which is bad timing in the Program's darkest hours.

The media keeps misleading you, though, and the sunshine pumpers think that this high school coach is the answer to the football team's woes. Remember, this is the same media that has its hands in the Program's pockets. No conflict of interest in that relationship.

Again, I just don't believe Malzahn as offensive coordinator is what Houston Nutt wanted. It is forced change, not learned change, from Nutt.

All this reads like a soap opera of some grand scale out of a novel that could be titled Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It's like all these players in this soap opera attend the same very evangelical church in Springdale where the council of elders led by the pastor makes all the decision for your Program.

Notre Dame has the Vatican, Arkansas has an evangelical church in Springdale.

I have to wonder if the Springdale church council has an even grander plan for the new offensive coordinator they are so proud of right now. Nutt watch your back even while you are in church.

Tell me what you see in the Garden after Midnight at fromthebench@yahoo.com.

hoggystyle78

Thanks for the read FullMetal, I got on here right after Gus was hired and most of the people on here, even the ones bitching, suddenly were happy with the program and its direction. I have preached and preached that while hiring Gus could turn out to be a positive step for the program, there are many more problems which need to be addressed, recruting in particular at this point. As long as nutt is in control, we will be out of control. I agree with Robertfire em all, except Gus and let's get a coach in here that knows what they're doing. I geuss we as fans will have at least one more year to watch this circus unfold and to watch our program slip yet a little farther into the depths of despair.

PulledPork

Good Post, My Man!

Glad to see some of our thoughts and concerns are making it too the outside (mainstream media) world.

Coacht

If HDN didn't select GM as the OC, then was he lieing to us in the press conference when announcing GM? I believe him to tell us it was his desision and he spent allot of time making this decision and he thought he was the best man for the job.
Statements of the year - "I think play calling sometimes is overrated." and "I will never hire an offensive Coordinator"

HDN Top 25 finishes....
2006 = 15th / 16th        2001 = nope
2005 = nope                 2000 = nope
2004 = nope                 1999 = 17th
2003 = nope                 1998 = 16th
2002 = 25th

PulledPork

Quote from: Coacht on December 19, 2005, 11:32:01 am
If HDN didn't select GM as the OC, then was he lieing to us in the press conference when announcing GM? I believe him to tell us it was his desision and he spent allot of time making this decision and he thought he was the best man for the job.
consider yourself lied to.........

bdutt

It's absurd to think that in part, a church in Springdale controls Razorback Athletics.
"Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who usually do."

hogsanity

I agree with the part about completely re-=wiring the athletic dept.  I said a few weeks ago, that the only long term solution may very well be to fire them ALL.  Start over with OUTSIDE people.  But this is Arkansas, ans that isnt going to happen at the UA or any other entitiy even remotely related to the govt.  TOo inbred, too good ole boy connected to allow in them dad blamed carpetbaggers from outside. 

As for GUs.  I like it because it will do one of 2 things.  It will either show he is a good hs coach or it will show he is a good coach.  A good coach should be able to improve what he has to work with.  I am not saying the O suddenly starts racking up 500yds per game, but if he is good it will improve. 

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

nwarazfan

Quote from: bdutt78 on December 19, 2005, 11:35:04 am
It's absurd to think that in part, a church in Springdale controls Razorback Athletics.

Its also naive to dismiss its influence especially on this Malzahn as OC hire.  A number of well connected members have been enamored with Gus for years.   Ask Opine.

bdutt

Quote from: nwarazfan on December 19, 2005, 11:47:30 am

Its also naive to dismiss its influence especially on this Malzahn as OC hire. A number of well connected members have been enamored with Gus for years. Ask Opine.

They also have jobs so maybe we should say that people with jobs are the one's with all the influence. Jeesh, to think that congregants of a baptist church decided to lean on JFB so he would hire GM is crazy. It's a church, not the Free Mason's
"Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who usually do."

nwarazfan

Quote from: bdutt78 on December 19, 2005, 12:00:31 pm

Its also naive to dismiss its influence especially on this Malzahn as OC hire. A number of well connected members have been enamored with Gus for years. Ask Opine.

They also have jobs so maybe we should say that people with jobs are the one's with all the influence. Jeesh, to think that congregants of a baptist church decided to lean on JFB so he would hire GM is crazy. It's a church, not the Free Mason's

Believe what you will.  This is similar to the good ole boy network hire that got us Nutt when he had an entourage from LR campaigning for him. 

lumphog

razorback4life

Quote from: nwarazfan on December 19, 2005, 12:03:59 pm
Quote from: bdutt78 on December 19, 2005, 12:00:31 pm

Believe what you will. This is similar to the good ole boy network hire that got us Nutt when he had an entourage from LR campaigning for him.

Isn't it interesting that some of the "entourage" that was campaigning back then are now some of the very ones who want a change. 

Hawgon

This good ole boy network is running our school into the ground.  Gus Malzahn should not have been hired as OC for one reason only.  It makes UA look like a second rated loser of a school.  Big time schools with big time programs do not hire high school coaches as coordinators.  Period.  It really doesn't matter how smart or well Gus does from this point, it was not a good hire from a national public relations viewpoint.  If we truly wish to be in the big time, then we need to act accordingly.  National perception and outside of the state recruiting will suffer.  The saddest thing about it is, that despite his lack of qualification, he will be a significant improvement on the status quo.  Sad, that we have agreed to settle for that.

Fire every damn person in the athletic administration and start over from scratch.  It has gone on too long.  Get used to it.  We are a bunch of losers.  We are what we are perceived to be nationally.  We have no defense.

sooie dog

Quote from: Hawgon on December 19, 2005, 12:34:17 pm

Fire every damn person in the athletic administration and start over from scratch. It has gone on too long. Get used to it. We are a bunch of losers. We are what we are perceived to be nationally. We have no defense.

Sad but true. 

Calvin N Hawgs

othermac

if nutt has indeed been forced to hire malzahn as oc,then he is nothing more than a pretender, that would have to be a lethal blow for any head coach to be told who he must hire. of course when your chosen field relies heavily on heavy contributions from influential peoples, politics come into play.still, i have a hard time believing a head coach could accept this type of proposal and keep his head on straight, he would be better off leaving in order to maintain his dignity.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

stan the man

If "The Church", as has been mentioned in the above threads, is all powerful, the football program would have committments from Mitch, Damien, as well as Norman because all three go to "That Church".

Tusks

Quote from: othermac on December 19, 2005, 01:17:25 pm
if nutt has indeed been forced to hire malzahn as oc,then he is nothing more than a pretender, that would have to be a lethal blow for any head coach to be told who he must hire. of course when your chosen field relies heavily on heavy contributions from influential peoples, politics come into play.still, i have a hard time believing a head coach could accept this type of proposal and keep his head on straight, he would be better off leaving in order to maintain his dignity.

Hate to tell you but HDN has been pretender from the first day he set foot on campus.  Too bad you and some of the fans are just now realizing it.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

nwarazfan

Quote from: stan the man on December 19, 2005, 01:24:06 pm
If "The Church", as has been mentioned in the above threads, is all powerful, the football program would have committments from Mitch, Damien, as well as Norman because all three go to "That Church".

Theory is a little flawed.  These players are wanted by the UA plus many other college programs.  They have options so the members have no need to influence the UA to take them.  How many college options did Gus have?

razorback4life

Quote from: nwarazfan on December 19, 2005, 01:32:05 pm

Theory is a little flawed. These players are wanted by the UA plus many other college programs. They have options so the members have no need to influence the UA to take them. How many college options did Gus have?

Gus had several options, not just Arkansas.

Anon2

claycohog

He's SOMEBODY who is telling it like it is.  (Sorry Wally)

Biggus Piggus

Cheap shots from Shields:

1) Again, to save a team that went 4-7 last year, the answer in the offseason was to hire a high school coach.

2) Just a couple of weeks ago the Hogs had only six verbal commitments with just a little over a month to go. Most of the hay should have already been put away in the barn, which leads me to believe the coaching staff will have to go out on a limb on many players of questionable ability.

3) Razorback basketball has also fallen on hard times, basically missing NCAA play for going on almost half a decade. The numbers have fallen in attendance as well as ticket sales. The brand of basketball is boring and key victories have been few or none.

4) (And what exactly they are spending all this money on is a topic for another column because I sure don't see many returns other than the big stadium with 10,000 empty seats every game.)

5) Notre Dame has the Vatican, Arkansas has an evangelical church in Springdale.

[CENSORED]!

nwarazfan

Quote from: pseudorabies on December 19, 2005, 02:26:41 pm

Theory is a little flawed. These players are wanted by the UA plus many other college programs. They have options so the members have no need to influence the UA to take them. How many college options did Gus have?

Please educate me on what other BCS conference schools were interested in him being a coordinator or at least position coach.  No Gulf South or Gateway Conference schools either.

razorback4life

Quote from: nwarazfan on December 19, 2005, 02:54:30 pm
Quote from: pseudorabies on December 19, 2005, 02:26:41 pm

Please educate me on what other BCS conference schools were interested in him being a coordinator or at least position coach. No Gulf South or Gateway Conference schools either.

Go back and read your question that I answered again. 

nwarazfan

nwarazfan

Is it that you don't know or won't say?  Sounds like spinning to me.

razorback4life

Quote from: nwarazfan on December 19, 2005, 03:09:23 pm
Is it that you don't know or won't say? Sounds like spinning to me.

I don't believe there was anything official but he did have more options other than Arkansas.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 19, 2005, 02:50:21 pm

1) Again, to save a team that went 4-7 last year, the answer in the offseason was to hire a high school coach.

2) Just a couple of weeks ago the Hogs had only six verbal commitments with just a little over a month to go. Most of the hay should have already been put away in the barn, which leads me to believe the coaching staff will have to go out on a limb on many players of questionable ability.

3) Razorback basketball has also fallen on hard times, basically missing NCAA play for going on almost half a decade. The numbers have fallen in attendance as well as ticket sales. The brand of basketball is boring and key victories have been few or none.

4) (And what exactly they are spending all this money on is a topic for another column because I sure don't see many returns other than the big stadium with 10,000 empty seats every game.)

5) Notre Dame has the Vatican, Arkansas has an evangelical church in Springdale.

By "cheap shots", are you saying they are mean or wrong or both? I think it's a nail on head thing.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Hawgon on December 19, 2005, 12:34:17 pm
This good ole boy network is running our school into the ground.  Gus Malzahn should not have been hired as OC for one reason only.  It makes UA look like a second rated loser of a school.  Big time schools with big time programs do not hire high school coaches as coordinators.  Period.  It really doesn't matter how smart or well Gus does from this point, it was not a good hire from a national public relations viewpoint.  If we truly wish to be in the big time, then we need to act accordingly.  National perception and outside of the state recruiting will suffer.  The saddest thing about it is, that despite his lack of qualification, he will be a significant improvement on the status quo.  Sad, that we have agreed to settle for that.

Fire every damn person in the athletic administration and start over from scratch.  It has gone on too long.  Get used to it.  We are a bunch of losers.  We are what we are perceived to be nationally.  We have no defense.
What has happened in the last two to three years to make you think that anyone other than the fans have any interest in "the big time"? This program is, and has in the recent past been, about "the big bucks", who brings them in and how he can use the dept. to make him self a player. This soap opera has spiraled out control and I don't see it changing without a total overhhaul. You are correct, fire them all (maybe we let JFB retire gracefully). Too sad.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

stan the man

I understand that Gus, MM, DW and AN have other options.  My point is, that the curch in Springdale  has absolutely no influence on their decisions just because they happen to go there.

PulledPork

Quote from: stan the man on December 19, 2005, 03:37:56 pm
I understand that Gus, MM, DW and AN have other options. My point is, that the curch in Springdale has absolutely no influence on their decisions just because they happen to go there.

God works in mysterious ways........;D

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 19, 2005, 02:50:21 pm

How were these cheap shots?  Sounds like the truth to me.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Vidikron

So what exactly is new in this article?  It's like a recap of this board or something.  Maybe the Gus hiring will fail, who knows, but if it works a lot of people are going to be eating crow.

Swino

Quote from: Vidikron on December 19, 2005, 07:52:45 pm
So what exactly is new in this article? It's like a recap of this board or something. Maybe the Gus hiring will fail, who knows, but if it works a lot of people are going to be eating crow.

That isn't the point.. Most believe that Gus has everything he needs to succeed.  He just happens to have a coaching culture that is geared to make him fail.  He is the forced change on the staff, which is the most disturbing tidbit of information that we have.  Remember, HDN was forced to fire Wommack last year as well, he couldn't even see that a change was needed.  Houston "Jabba the" Nutt didn't believe that the staff needed changing last year nor this year.  Jim Lindsey and his parrot JFB are making forced changes to a coaching staff where the HC doesn't even realize the need.  Not only does Houston not realize it, he resists it!  He believes he has the best, which is his biggest flaw.  We are getting out coached and out recruited more and more as Houston stays at the helm, see a pattern?  The AD and frank broyles don't,  or they don't care.   

The University of Arkansas stopped being about winning the day Houston was hired, it is all about the $$ now.

lunchbox72703

This article was an ode to message boards....complete with terms like "sunshine pumper" and "darksider".  Tip your hat, fellow message boarders, cuz you were acknowledged in the press.   :puke: :puke: :puke:

Vidikron

I know, I agree with most of what you said.  I just didn't really see the point in writing the article.  Everything he said has been said over and over already.  It's just getting old.  Like I said, if I wrote a re-cap of what is said on this forum it would turn out just like that article.  Anyway, in the couple of arcticles Shields has written where he mentions Gus he really comes off negative toward him.  We actually had a little debate via e-mail after his first article about Gus.  I just wish people would lay off him and see what happens.  But, yeah, like everyone else I want Nutt gone too... but that apparently isn't going to happen this year so I just hope I don't have to read this same crap for the next 8 months.

snoutface

Quote from: Anon2 on December 19, 2005, 02:30:55 pm
Is Robert Shields somebody?

I'd like this question answered as well- with sources please!
Sometimes it's better for me to be quiet and let everybody believe I'm dumb as dirt, than to speak up and prove it.

Extra Point

Quote from: FullMetalPiglet on December 19, 2005, 10:52:22 am
I wrote a year ago that Oklahoma State's athletic program was in much better shape. Despite Les Miles' departure to LSU and a down year for the football Cowboys, I say the two are not even at the same level anymore. OSU basketball is still one of the top programs in the country, and they even do it without all the new facilities we keep being told will bring us to the promised land.

Well, this blew the credibility of the article with me.

OSU has NEWER facilities in their football stadium and basketball arenas.  They are not as great as ours, IMO, but they are newer.  They also want to redo their baseball field but money is not as readily accessible in Stillwater.

And OSU does have a great b-ball program, but that is due to having a legendary coach.  When the opportunity arose for us to hire another legendary coach, the butt cheeks clinched up and Frank only wanted to pay $800k.  Bill Self laughed at the salary I'm told.

BTW, I think it violates copyright law to cut and paste an article...need a link.