Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I think our Basketball team is

Started by SOONERgradHOGFAN, December 18, 2005, 09:36:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SOONERgradHOGFAN

better than most think...Stan the man has a plan.  We have the classiest coach in the country...just wait and see.

hogsno1

I still feel good about our chances this year. We have blown some leads in games we all thought we should have won by blow-out margin. However at the same time we competed well in our 2 loses over in Maui. In the past years we would have been blown out of those games.

Hogs4Ever

Welcome.

No doubt about Stan being a class act and a gentleman.  It has seemed in past seasons that he got out-coached in the close games but I think he has learned through experience.  I like this team and hope they have a good season.  GO HOGS!   :razorback:

Broken Trigger

Quote from: SOONERgradHOGFAN on December 18, 2005, 09:36:59 pm
better than most think...Stan the man has a plan. We have the classiest coach in the country...just wait and see.

I agree about Stan.  He really seems to love coaching at Arkansas too.  I think he has the program moving in the right direction. 

hogman64

December 18, 2005, 09:52:05 pm #4 Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 09:55:23 pm by hogman64
I am  optimistic about the season....Townes, Hill , Thomas can take care  of business inside against most teams and thats something we havent had , plus Ronny Brewer is playing like the star he is near the end of close games.........

BentonvilleJeff

We are making progress that's for sure. I'm still worried about the SEC. Ky is not as good as they normally are but they are still top 25, and I think Florida is legit top 10. Tn, Vandy, LSU, are not bad at all and probably tournament teams. Our conference may be a little underrated right now.

Pignominious

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on December 18, 2005, 09:59:55 pm
We are making progress that's for sure. I'm still worried about the SEC. Ky is not as good as they normally are but they are still top 25, and I think Florida is legit top 10. Tn, Vandy, LSU, are not bad at all and probably tournament teams. Our conference may be a little underrated right now.

I think what our conference is having right now is an identity crisis.  For the first time in a while UK is not the team to beat, Florida is.  Florida has the best and most talented starting five in the league and is interchangeable at the 4 and 5.  They rebound, pass, and shoot well.  The one place they may be suspect is backcourt depth.  They only have one guy that can come off the bench and give them the prescence that Brewer, Humphrey, and Green give them.  Vandy is I think a very good team as well, Their only loss is to an on fire Cincinatti team (which happens to be my 2nd favorite team besides the hogs.)  Vandy has very good shooters and decent ball handling.  They are very hard to defend because they spread you out well.  They may be somewhat suspect to good post players and when they're shots aren't falling are very beatable.  UK looks gritty, but can't rebound with tenacity, isn't very talented , and doesn't shoot well.  They will progess as the season goes and will get a boost when Morris returns.  UT was very impressive this weekend.  They looked top 20 for sure, they shoot well, press well and have good floor leadership, Pearl has them playing with tenacitly.  It will be interesting to how they play the rest of the way.  UT is very small, if Tex. guards had just been able to get the ball in the post it would have been a good game.  Tex. guard play is suspect this year, It would be interesting to see how UT fared against our bigger, stronger guards.  USC is I think on the way down, there are a lot of up and coming teams in the east that will beat USC, but they play gritty and may have enough talent to .500 in the league.  Georgia is still another year away from contention, but they have played farely well, their premere win is over GT, which is probably overrated.  But UGA is up and coming, they have good back court depth and some talented the bids.
The West looks like it may come down to LSU and Arkansas, Bama won't be to far behind but they ultimitly don't have enough backcourt depth to really get far.  There will be games that they will win because of attrition.  LSU looks pretty talented and deep.  For the first time in a while they have a really good wing player in Tasmin Mitchell.  They have very good rebounding bigs, their backcourt can shoot prettey well to.  I do think they have been having some TO problems this year.  They do get Tack Minor back by SEC play, which should help them.  I don't think they match up that well with us though and I think that shows by our two meetings last year.  Their 2 and 1 guards are both right around 6 feet as opposed to 6-5 with us.  Our backcourt size could give them fits.  Ole miss looks better than last year but they really will not be a threat at all this year.  Their guards can't shoot or penetrate well.  MSU looks fairly talented but hasn't really played that well in their games so far.  They put up 100 the other night but it was against a nobody.  They also lost to some mid major teams they had no business loosing to.  Talented but very raw, we should get 2 wins out of them without to much difficulty ( I would personaly enjoy a thorough beat down of them.)  Auby looks a long way off to me, Lebo is a decent coach but it is going to be a while for them to reemerge if they ever really do.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

razor-trac

Bearclaw: chop up your comments with paragraphs - logically placed. Otherwise it makes it torturous to read.

Stan may be a class act but I do not care. Winning is all that matters. We have not beaten a good team yet. We don't seem to be getting better to an extent that will allow us to be competitive over the long-term.

We do not have a point guard. How many teams without a point guard have been successful? We are screwed.
"We have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord." BH Obama at inauguration

"A failure to act, and act now, will turn crisis into a catastrophe and guarantee a longer recession, a less robust recovery, and a more uncertain future. " BH Obama a couple weeks later

That's what I call change.

Lando Calrissian

I think our basketball team is profoundly...

Average.

Yay.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

hogtheball

I've read a few times (on boards) that Heath hasn't recruited any true shooters or ball handlers.  For those of you who actually follow the team and watch games, you might have noticed freshman Sean McCurdy sneaking into the lineup for a few minutes at a time.  McCurdy was recruited by Indiana, Maryland, Clemson, Villanova, and many others.  The kid was point guard at St. Anthony High in N.J. (coached by Bob Hurley senior) and averaged 15 points and 8 assists while leading the #2 team in the country to a 30 - 0 record.  He's a freshman, but you might want to give him a few games before you say we haven't been recruiting any point guards.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

silverhawg

i think the nucleas is in place..we need a floor leader....& i am concerned about our shape....in the mo state game..by 10 mins into 2nd period we appeared tired while they seemed to keep pressing...seems to me that we were just getting back in def. position & they were right on top of us....but I think the hogs will get it together and we will be dancing this march...

Flatfoot

average at best,

Heath's basketball is, to use an phrase that has been used, "About as much fun as watching paint dry."  I went to the game on Saturday night against a very weak Rice team.  There still is no leader on the floor.  WE don't have the Corey Beck or Mayberry on the floor.  Until we get that leader on the floor this will continue to be an average team. 
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.