Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you don't wish to be a Razorback, you don't have to!

Started by CorningHog, December 18, 2005, 07:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CorningHog

Living in Arkansas and growing up watching the Razorbacks it is difficult to understand any high school kid from our fine state choosing anyone else but our Hogs!

I always dreamed of being an offensive guard for the Hogs.  I always wanted to be like Steve Korte.  I ate a lot and tried to be stronger in the weight room, worked out all the time and waited to see that "height" spurt come.  It never did, and yet I still could not give in to the thoughts of not playing college football.  Of course by my senior year I realized that I could probably be a blocking dummy somewhere and get on the team but I knew I was too small.

For me, to get the chance to play for my homestate team would have been a dream come true.  I didn't even look at the NFL as the "Big stage" but rather getting to wear the Hog on my helmet.  There is just something about that Hog call and the tradition I grew up seeing with Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield and those teams from the late 70's and early to late 80's.

I would have said "No" to any of the other traditional powers but I didn't grow up in the age of cable television like today's kids have.  You get to see 20 games in a weekend on cable or satellite and you could be a regular watcher of just about any team across the nation.

With that said, I still would not trade any other team for my Hogs!  I would not forego my possible fame at one of the more glamorous schools whom the nation might call the best "year in and year out" to turn my back on those 4 or 5 years at the University of Arkansas.  Walking around that campus and near Old Main and seeing the leaves turn in the fall and the pep rally's at the Greek Theatre and just all the awesome fans that are loyal to Arkansas make this impossible in my eyes.

Still, I can understand with the way things have turned in the media, with message boards and all the talk shows that are on the radio.  The speculation that Nutt has one more year.  The lure of some of the other teams that may have interest in our players and some whom have secured a scholarship from Florida, etc...but the possibility still exists that any of these Arkansas kids could become Razorbacks.

Whether they do or not, it will always be in the back of their minds about what could have been.  Watching next season and the ones after that, they may look back and wish that they had joined their ole ball coach.  He may be thought of in 4 years as the next Steve Spurrier.  Who really knows the future?

I will always say this to any recruit that is from Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, wherever they might be from.  Go where you "want" to go and where your heart leads you.  Players that go to a school and deep down don't want to, usually are miserable and end up having a terrible career. 

I for one want only those kids that truly want to be a "Razorback".  There is only one school with that running Razorback on the side of the helmet.  We want kids that want to be "champions" and want to be here at our university because they love the opportunity to represent Arkansas and the fans!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

RockyMtnHog

There are all sorts of Bulldogs, Wildcats and Tigers.  But, there is only one and I mean only one RAZORBACK!!  Wear that Razorback with PRIDE!

WPS!
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

AFWarrior83

You know your right, I don't think there is another team out there that has a Razorback for their mascot even in the pros... Damn I really love the Hogs!!!  :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback:
Hogville member since 2005.

CorningHog

Well, isn't that special!  (With sounds from the Church Lady off Sat Night Live)

It really is special to those of us scattered around the U.S. and the World as well as most of the State of Arkansas!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

hogman64

Speaking of SNL,,,, if we cant get a visit with Mitch maybe Gus should put on a shark suit and go knock on  Mitch's
door and say........candygram,,,,, plumber.......

RazrBakr

Great Post!   That pretty much sums up my feelings about the Hogs.  They have been a life-long love of mine as well.  That's why I get so saddened to see what the team has gone through the past two years.  My team is no longer getting the respect they deserve.  It hurts deep down...
Just can't help smiling these days!!!

Ugly Uncle

Does any other team have such a unique cheer as the Hog call?

Retired Radio Host

Broken Trigger

Quote from: hogman64 on December 18, 2005, 11:48:04 pm
Speaking of SNL,,,, if we cant get a visit with Mitch maybe Gus should put on a shark suit and go knock on Mitch's
door and say........candygram,,,,, plumber.......

Maybe we could hire Matt Foley(Chris Farley's motivational speaker) to recruit for the Hogs.  I can hear it now, "If you don't come play for the Hogs, you're gonna wind up in a van down by the river!".

hogsno1

Well said Corning. I too would have died for the oppurtunity to wear the Hog uniform, but I was not fast enough to play that level. Guys like Steve Atwater would have eaten my lunch faster than I could count to 3.

I use the name "hogsno1" on the message boards because no matter what they will always be my #1 team.

hoggystyle78

If any recruit and I mean ANY recruit doesn't want to be here, then hit the road, go to another school, good luck and good riddance, because if a kid isn't sure if they really want to be here then what good are they to the program if they're hearts not in it.