Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can UALR become to UA what Creighton is to U of Nebraska?

Started by edemire, March 15, 2011, 12:56:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

edemire

Former Parkview point guard Wes Flanigan thinks so, as quoted in the article below.

I think it's true the Trojans don't have a pig's prayer of competing with UA-Fayetteville in terms of number of fans, intensity of those fans, facilities or revenue. But on the court, they MAY have a chance, at least one out of every 5-6 years.

Of course, we'll never know b/c the teams don't play, unlike Creighton and Nebraska. Lack of in-state competition hurts the state's economy and the development of basketball in Arkansas, as argued at the end of this Sync article:

http://sync.arkansasonline.com/news/2011/mar/15/ualr-and-basketball-rising/
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

losthawg68

It wouldn't bother me to see them play.  It isn't like playing ASU in football.
Re:  I just came into some money...
Quote from: cosmodrum on April 01, 2011, 01:34:40 pm
Why money...didn't have a sock or tissue handy?

Quote from: Slacker on August 14, 2012, 10:57:10 pm
God Damn you Lost....

Smithian

Quote from: edemire on March 15, 2011, 12:56:13 pm
Former Parkview point guard Wes Flanigan thinks so, as quoted in the article below.

I think it's true the Trojans don't have a pig's prayer of competing with UA-Fayetteville in terms of number of fans, intensity of those fans, facilities or revenue. But on the court, they MAY have a chance, at least one out of every 5-6 years.

Of course, we'll never know b/c the teams don't play, unlike Creighton and Nebraska. Lack of in-state competition hurts the state's economy and the development of basketball in Arkansas, as argued at the end of this Sync article:

No. They can't.

nextlevel

Quote from: losthawg68 on March 15, 2011, 12:57:25 pm
It wouldn't bother me to see them play.  It isn't like playing ASU in football.

Yeah, but its a gate-way game...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

losthawg68

God Damn you Lost....

IronHog

Quote from: Smithian on March 15, 2011, 12:58:03 pm
No. They can't.

All they have to do is win the Sun Belt once or twice a decade and they'll be blowing the doors off the current Hog program.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Ironhawg

Arkansas has nothing to win and everything to lose by playing either UALR or any other in-state school.  If they win, they were suposed to win.  If they lose, it is a huge boost for the other program.  It makes no sense.

Smithian

UALR, UAPB, UCA, and Arkansas State should have a tournament each year. Hold it at Verizon Arena in Little Rock. Half the proceeds go to the University of Arkansas, they can split the rest.

The reward?

They get to play a game in Bud Walton Arena against the Razorback. If 15,000 tickets aren't sold, they have to make up the difference financially for us.

Not the UofA's fault they in their history didn't put in the effort to become an elite, BCS level program(academically and athletically). They have to provide incentive for us to play them.

IronHog

Quote from: Smithian on March 15, 2011, 01:05:22 pm

They get to play a game in Bud Walton Arena.

If a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound?

losthawg68

Quote from: IronHog on March 15, 2011, 01:08:09 pm
If a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound?

If a tree falls on a woman, what was she doing out of the kitchen?

God Damn you Lost....

edemire

UALR, UAPB, UCA, and Arkansas State should have a tournament each year. Hold it at Verizon Arena in Little Rock. Half the proceeds go to the University of Arkansas, they can split the rest.

The reward?

Not the UofA's fault they in their history didn't put in the effort to become an elite, BCS level program(academically and athletically). They have to provide incentive for us to play them.

I think you're getting around to a good idea. But wouldn't every bball game between UA and UCA or UALR or ASU or UAPB be a sellout? Especially if each one of those teams rotated playing UA every season. The Hogs paid Grambling State to destroy them at Fayetteville this season - why not pay an in-state SWAC team (UAPB) to do the same thing? That way the guarantee money UA pays out at least stays in the state - is invested in the state - and will ultimately help all Arkansans.

Have the UALR, ASU and UCA games against UA at Verizon arena on rotating years and you'll sell that place out every year, no matter how well either team is doing. As the article points out, think how many ticket sales and hotel and restaurant taxes are lost each year by NOT doing this. It makes total financial sense for Arkansas as a whole - which in turn will help each public university.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."

IronHog

RockChalkJayhawk

The reward?

What a crappy attitude you have.  As if Arkansas basketball has done a damn thing lately.  I've got news for you, playing in an empty BWA is no "reward" ...... that is SO bogus, dude. 

Click away and see where these teams play for their guaranteed, buy-a-wins .... they don't need your charity.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2029/arkansas-pine-bluff-golden-lions

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2031/arkansas-little-rock-trojans

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2110/central-arkansas-bears

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2032/arkansas-state-red-wolves

Kicking Wing

UALR doesn't have the support to become anything near that.  There are probably more ASU and UCA fans in LR than UALR fans.  At the first round matchup with UALR, ASU fans outnumbered UALR fans about 10 to 1 despite it being a 45 minuted drive from LR.  If Corliss gets UCA winning, they will surpass UALR fairly quickly in support.

Razorback88

March 15, 2011, 01:24:52 pm #14 Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:30:42 pm by Razorback88
Creighton plays in a 17,000 seat arena in a very respectable conference.  Also worth noting is 16 NCAA tourney appearances. 

UALR is a commuter school with no fan base and crappy athletics.

No.

Smithian

Quote from: edemire on March 15, 2011, 01:12:57 pm
I think you're getting around to a good idea. But wouldn't every bball game between UA and UCA or UALR or ASU or UAPB be a sellout? Especially if each one of those teams rotated playing UA every season. The Hogs paid Grambling State to destroy them at Fayetteville this season - why not pay an in-state SWAC team (UAPB) to do the same thing? That way the guarantee money UA pays out at least stays in the state - is invested in the state - and will ultimately help all Arkansans.

Have the UALR, ASU and UCA games against UA at Verizon arena on rotating years and you'll sell that place out every year, no matter how well either team is doing. As the article points out, think how many ticket sales and hotel and restaurant taxes are lost each year by NOT doing this. It makes total financial sense for Arkansas as a whole - which in turn will help each public university.

Unless Arkansas State or UAPB brought tons of fans, I think only UCA would sell out. UCA-Arkansas would be most intense game, even if it would likely be the least competitive on the court. UCA and Arkansas are actually competing over students and there is a slight level of animosity between the two schools.

The reason I prefer playing someone like Grambling over UAPB is it's just another game for Grambling. Yeah, our guys would sorta be up for a game against UAPB, it would be their Super Bowl. That makes me nervous.

Again, I just don't want there ever to be a situation where some resident of Arkansas has to cheer against the University of Arkansas, the flagship institution of this state. I want everyone in this state to have some level of support for the UofA. When you start playing against eachother, that's when feelings get hurt and divisions are made.

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on March 15, 2011, 01:15:54 pm
What a crappy attitude you have.  As if Arkansas basketball has done a damn thing lately.  I've got news for you, playing in an empty BWA is no "reward" ...... that is SO bogus, dude. 

Click away and see where these teams play for their guaranteed, buy-a-wins .... they don't need your charity.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2029/arkansas-pine-bluff-golden-lions

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2031/arkansas-little-rock-trojans

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2110/central-arkansas-bears

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2032/arkansas-state-red-wolves
Did I say they "need" our charity? No. The thing is Arkansas State and company are all wanting to play the UofA. If they want to play us, they need to make it worth it to us. Any game would be a financial windfall for them where a loss could be shrugged off and a win would be something they would celebrate for years as something they try to use to put themselves on an equal footing with the UofA.

You tell those people to stop calling out the UofA and I'll stop looking down on them.

terri_odoole

The reward?

They get to play a game in Bud Walton Arena against the Razorback. If 15,000 tickets aren't sold, they have to make up the difference financially for us.

"US to play them" what a joke.  "You" should be able to sell out BWA if "you" are the elite program "you" claim to be.  As for academics you haven't  been paying attention as of now UALR has passed the UofA as an academic powerhouse according to the Harvard school of business.  If it gets too hot, get out of the kitchen.

Smithian

Quote from: terri_odoole on March 15, 2011, 01:35:58 pm
"US to play them" what a joke.  "You" should be able to sell out BWA if "you" are the elite program "you" claim to be.  As for academics you haven't  been paying attention as of now UALR has passed the UofA as an academic powerhouse according to the Harvard school of business.  If it gets too hot, get out of the kitchen.
Then why is the UofA more recognized nationally than UALR?

See, this is why you don't play in-state. Instead of us all supporting the UofA, this thread will turn into a crap throwing match between schools at some point. Thankyou for proving my point.

ark30inf

As an ASU fan, I have zero interest in playing UA any more.  I do however ask that all parties shut..the..heck up about each other. The other in-state teams play each other...UA doesn't.  It is pathetic to trash talk programs you refuse to play and it is creepy to obsess on teams that don't want to play you.

terri_odoole

So now we can only support one school.  Shows a little immaturity doesn't it, Oh I forgot where I was for a second.  GO HOGS, TROJANS, INDI..RED WOLVES, GOLDEN LIONS, BEARS, ETC....   

TrueBlue

Quote from: Kicking Wing on March 15, 2011, 01:16:34 pm
UALR doesn't have the support to become anything near that.  There are probably more ASU and UCA fans in LR than UALR fans.  At the first round matchup with UALR, ASU fans outnumbered UALR fans about 10 to 1 despite it being a 45 minuted drive from LR.  If Corliss gets UCA winning, they will surpass UALR fairly quickly in support.

ASU fans? Really?

You guys averaged 3285 in attendance (42,709 for 13 games) and supposedly won/tied for the division crown while little 'ole commuter college UALR averaged 3085 this year (46,281 for 15 games). The only way ASU averaged more for the year was because the final home game with UALR drew 5836.

And people call us Hog fans delirious at times. ASU fans are full of themselves for NO REASON WHATSOEVER!!!!

Demi

I heard this truism somewhere (Radio maybe?) when UALR made the tourney:

"Little Rock isn't a basketball town, it's a Razorback town."

I don't think it matters one bit if we play UALR.

phadedhawg

I would love to see the in state teams play as evidenced by the number of smites I've received...LOL 

One factor that I've never seen mentioned is Arkansas' population is growing and there may be room for another program to emerge from Arkansas.

Also the idea that we have nothing to gain doesn't hold much water in my opinion.  We play a ton of games before conference that we have nothing to gain from.  Might as well make a couple of those games interesting.

Inhogswetrust

Lack of in-state competition hurts the state's economy and the development of basketball in Arkansas,

I don't believe this for a second.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

edemire

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 15, 2011, 02:11:14 pm
I don't believe this for a second.

Again, think of all the media attention and tax dollars that DON'T happen because of the absence of these games. That media attention is converted into interest and buzz, which ultimately turns into more people caring about basketball, which turns into better basketball being played in the state.

As far as the economy, I refer to my previous point:

But wouldn't every bball game between UA and UCA or UALR or ASU or UAPB be a sellout? Especially if each one of those teams rotated playing UA every season. The Hogs paid Grambling State to destroy them at Fayetteville this season - why not pay an in-state SWAC team (UAPB) to do the same thing? That way the guarantee money UA pays out at least stays in the state - is invested in the state - and will ultimately help all Arkansans.

secfan30

Quote from: losthawg68 on March 15, 2011, 01:09:18 pm

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHHA!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 because I just read it to the wife and she rolled her eyes. I followed that by "well babe I didn't mean you because everyone knows you can't cook"

secfan30

Quote from: Kicking Wing on March 15, 2011, 01:16:34 pm

This I agree with. I am from Little Rock and in the past went to a few games. Will always be a Hog Fan above all else. In fact I still burn when I think of the bumper stickers "UALR, Arkansas REAL NCAA Tournament Team". I live in Conway now and follow UCA closer than i do UALR.

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 15, 2011, 01:04:07 pm
Arkansas has nothing to win and everything to lose by playing either UALR or any other in-state school.  If they win, they were suposed to win.  If they lose, it is a huge boost for the other program.  It makes no sense.

Other than proving, 100% without question, who the Big Dog is.

That matters.

The question is asked?  ANSWER IT.

If we can't/are afraid?   :puke:

cityhog

Quote from: losthawg68 on March 15, 2011, 01:09:18 pm

If the woman is out of the kitchen , who is fixing me dinner?

I keed, I keed.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: TrueBlue on March 15, 2011, 01:49:12 pm
ASU fans? Really?

You guys averaged 3285 in attendance (42,709 for 13 games) and supposedly won/tied for the division crown while little 'ole commuter college UALR averaged 3085 this year (46,281 for 15 games). The only way ASU averaged more for the year was because the final home game with UALR drew 5836.

And people call us Hog fans delirious at times. ASU fans are full of themselves for NO REASON WHATSOEVER!!!!

You don't have a clue.  Talk to anyone that was at any of the three UALR vs. ASU games this year as I was all three.  At UALR, they announced a sellout despite 1500 seats being empty.  Still, almost half the crowd was ASU.  In Jonesboro, it was a legit 5600 and about 50 were UALR fans.  The real telling sing was the 2000+ ASU fans that travelled to HS for a 9:15 p.m. game on a Sunday vs. the 250 UALR fans that were there.

UA is the big draw in this state BY FAR.  ASU drew very well a few years ago until Dickey Nutt ran the program into the ground.  Brady is turning things around in a steady fashion but much like sellouts at Bud Walton, I don't know that ASU will get back to averaging 6-7000 per game.  I imagine some of that has to do with the other distractions people have now compared to before and the readily available technology to follow games.  People just don't go to college basketball games like they used to.

Bottom line is that UA dwarfs all the other programs in support but ASU dwarfs UALR and UCA in that regard and UCA stands the best chance of those two of closing the gap some in my opinion.

As for selling out a game vs. UA, anyone that thinks UCA is the best bet ot do that is delusional.  ASU sold out a WOMEN'S game against UA recently.  For whatever reason, it would be a definite sellout.  I don't care anymore and don't want to beat that dead horse, but be honest.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: secfan30 on March 15, 2011, 02:39:03 pm
This I agree with. I am from Little Rock and in the past went to a few games. Will always be a Hog Fan above all else. In fact I still burn when I think of the bumper stickers "UALR, Arkansas REAL NCAA Tournament Team". I live in Conway now and follow UCA closer than i do UALR.
I think you are dead on with that being the attitude of most in LR.  I see more ASU and UCA tags and stickers in LR than I do UALR by FAR.  ASU fans bitch about coverage in the ADG and it does suck, but if anyone has a gripe it's UALR.  The ADG is a LR paper and they don't cover the home team at all.  At least ASU fans have the JB Sun and UCA has the Log Cabin.

Inhogswetrust

Why would anyone listen to a guy that went to Old Misses!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

March 15, 2011, 03:51:09 pm #32 Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:08:23 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: edemire on March 15, 2011, 01:12:57 pm

Yeah buddy. Those UCA and UALR people would fill up hotel rooms!? Get real.  Heck I hear UALR's team didn't even stay in a hotel in Hot Springs for the conference tourney!

Wild Bill Hog

Somebody remind me where Wes Flannigan went to college.

linuspfs

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

PoormansRobbyHampton

The reward?

I've got to admit, I'm hating you less and less lately.

I still wouldn't want to play an in-state team though, even if it is one game, too much to lose.

It's still better than just outright scheduling them though.

linuspfs

The reward?

brilliant
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Inhogswetrust

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 15, 2011, 04:17:12 pm
I've got to admit, I'm hating you less and less lately.

I still wouldn't want to play an in-state team though, even if it is one game, too much to lose.

It's still better than just outright scheduling them though.
I have to agree with you PMRH. Smithian has had some posts lately I can actually agree with.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

People in Little Rock care about the Razorbacks!, not UALR.  They claim to be Trojan fans, but are only on the UALR bandwagon when the Hogs fail to make the NCAA tourney.

BartIV

I think the world would end if the UofA and another instate school played.

RAF

Quote from: terri_odoole on March 15, 2011, 01:35:58 pm
Link?  Everyone knows that UA's business program is better than UALR's.  So, even if the "Harvard school of business" is ranking universities with little authority on the subject, they've obviously made a mistake.

IronHog

Quote from: BartIV on March 15, 2011, 07:07:00 pm
I think the world would end if the UofA and another instate school played.

After about the 3-4th time it wouldn't be all that big a deal as long as UAF was doing what it is supposed to be doing.

Now football would be different.......Henderson vs the Hogs would be a draw!

HogBreath

The reward?

That's a great idea, a early/preseason tourney at Alltel, put the Hogs in the tourney with AState & UALR, and maybe invite Tulsa, La/Monroe, Mizzou State or some one close.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?