Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Doug Gottlieb

Started by chiefhawg, March 01, 2011, 02:13:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgon

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2011, 03:19:28 pm
I'm scratching my head on this one. It's March 1st, and this is all supposedly suddenly decided?

A tad bit early, wouldnt ya think?

Unless, it's already decided. 

Breems

I'm scratching my head on this one. It's March 1st, and this is all supposedly suddenly decided?

I'd think so.

Maybe Doug hasn't watched the last two games, which I believe took a bit of heat off the situation.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

klp1

Quote from: Razorpigg on March 01, 2011, 02:56:29 pm
I think were safe. We wont lose Pelphrey.

depends on what the definition of "were safe" is......

Hawgon

Quote from: Breems on March 01, 2011, 03:20:46 pm
I'd think so.

Maybe Doug hasn't watched the last two games, which I believe took a bit of heat off the situation.

They heat may have already been off, as in they had no effect as that everything had already been decided.

HawgAdvocate

March 01, 2011, 03:26:45 pm #54 Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:33:21 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Oliver on March 01, 2011, 03:19:40 pm
It is.  And it's not the first time he's said something like this.  I remember him saying on the Sports Animal on OKC radio during our 2-14 SEC season that he couldn't see anyway of Pelphrey surviving after the season was over.  BUT if what you say is true, the language does seem to be a bit different this time.

You should listen to it. Gottlieb sounded like the sole reason he was coming on the air with those guys was to break this story.

He also talked at length about how Anderson had gotten himself a better contract from Missouri after getting offers from both Georgia & Oregon (not to mention feelers from Bama and Auburn, if not others).
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

cityhog

Maybe, just maybe this new found passion Pel has exhibited has been his 'audition tape' for another job.

Dogtown Donkey

Look at everyone wanting to get happy but holding it in.  :)

We'll see. The pieces of the theory puzzle fit, though. But they could also fit into "saving his job" puzzle.

Breems

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on March 01, 2011, 03:37:57 pm
Look at everyone wanting to get happy but holding it in.  :)

The emblem of being a Razorback basketball fan.

AnthroHog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2011, 03:26:45 pm
You should listen to it. Gottlieb sounded like the sole reason he was coming on the air with those guys was to break this story.

He also talked at length about how Anderson had gotten himself a better contract from Missouri after getting offers from both Georgia & Oregon (not to mention feelers from Bama and Auburn, if not others).

Anderson got his contract extended and bump in pay to $1.55 million per year in April 2009 after Georgia offered more than $2 million per year. 
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4029709

An Oregon radio station reported that the Ducks offered him close to $3 million per year in April 2010, but Anderson stayed with Missouri and didn't get a raise or extension.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/04/oregon_basketball_in_missouris.html

It looks like Anderson got himself a better contract after leading Missouri to only its fourth Elite Eight ever and becoming a hot name in coaching searches.  He didn't use the interest from Auburn or offer from Oregon to improve his contract last year.

Anderson has turned down more money from two different schools to stay at Missouri.  It will be interesting to see what happens if Arkansas comes after him.

Here's something I find interesting:
QuoteDespite last year's contract extension, Anderson said he will listen to offers from other schools if he feels it is in the best interest of his family. Anderson said his decision to listen to other offers won't create a problem between him and Missouri athletic director Mike Alden. Instead, he claimed that Alden and Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton have been supportive of him throughout the whole process.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/04/18/mike-anderson-answers-rumors-oregon-coaching-vacancy/

Dwight_K_Shrute

Look for this to blow up.  I just sent the link to Bo.  He will follow this like a bulldog and get to the bottom of what's going on.  Book it.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawgon

QuoteHere's something I find interesting:

QuoteDespite last year's contract extension, Anderson said he will listen to offers from other schools if he feels it is in the best interest of his family. Anderson said his decision to listen to other offers won't create a problem between him and Missouri athletic director Mike Alden. Instead, he claimed that Alden and Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton have been supportive of him throughout the whole process.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/04/18/mike-anderson-answers-rumors-oregon-coaching-vacancy/

He is just following his mentor.  That is exactly what Nolan always said.

AnthroHog

Quote from: Hawgon on March 01, 2011, 03:52:58 pm
He is just following his mentor.  That is exactly what Nolan always said.

Thanks, I didn't realize Nolan ever said that.  I was hoping that it was in his family's best interests to come back to Fayetteville if given the opportunity.

Jack The BN

Pel is not going to be fired.
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

mmhogs17

WMHawgfan

I am just curious about Mike's mindset. I would love to have him here but does he really want to be here? Just posing a question. Would you want to coach where you were mentored? Stepping in here he would have to know that he is going to be compared to Nolan in every way. I personally think we need to turn loose of the past and just get a guy that can win and not hold him responsible for having to do it the same way Nolan did.

Breems

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 01, 2011, 03:52:42 pm
Look for this to blow up.  I just sent the link to Bo.  He will follow this like a bulldog and get to the bottom of what's going on.  Book it.

Darn it you.  You ruined it!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Shawn Arnell just mentioned it as well.  It will never make it's way on to Bo's show.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GuvHog

Not if Jeff Long already has a head Coach who has agreed to take the job and take over the day after Pel is let go.

I can see Pel being let go but I don't see Mike Anderson being offered the job.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 01, 2011, 03:00:11 pm
9 million pages. LOL

Over. Way over. This baby may make the Hall of Fame before it's all said and done.

linuspfs

It's all a publicity stunt to sell more P90x in Arkansas.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

HawgAdvocate

Gottlieb is also pushing the rumor that Tubby will be moving on from Minnesota, since it appears Minnesota is out of the Big Dance. He speculates that "three different head coaches told me the coaching fraternity is abuzz over whether Georgia Tech will buy out Paul Hewitt (reportedly in excess of $5 million dollars) and land Smith."

Gottlieb is most likely getting his info from the same group of current/former coaches.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

rude1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2011, 03:07:38 pm
As was said in a thread from a week or so ago, regarding what Mike Irwin was saying on his show (which Pork agreed with shortly after), any new coaching search can't be done without a public attempt for Mike Anderson coming first.

Gottlieb made some strong points as to why MA wouldn't/shouldn't leave. I've heard from a former player, involved in previously courting Anderson to another SEC school, who said he didn't see Anderson coming back here.

Will Long make (or be forced to make) a decision that could (once again) blow up in our face?
Wow HawgAdvocate, this is the first time I can remember that you didn't just dismiss this kind of report as nothing more than just rumor or wishful thinking. You have been right more often than not concerning the direction things are going, you must have a reason to feel this one has legitimate legs.

batmanfan

This could be pretty telling.  Makes me think that all the lost money on attendance and other such things is finally to much to overcome.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Polecat

I will be saying an extra prayer at bedtime tonight in order to help move this along...
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: rude1 on March 01, 2011, 04:39:37 pm
Wow HawgAdvocate, this is the first time I can remember that you didn't just dismiss this kind of report as nothing more than just rumor or wishful thinking. You have been right more often than not concerning the direction things are going, you must have a reason to feel this one has legitimate legs.

Who am I to dismiss a proven insider who just laid his nuts out there for all to see, ya know?

Believe it or not, but I put a message in to Gottlieb to see if he will acknowledge whether he was doing more speculating than claiming. He's obviously in Stillwell and not doing his radio show today, but if he does decide to respond, I'll gladly pass on what he says.

All I want is for the 2011 kids to get here. We need a talent upgrade in a major way. I've always been of the opinion that keeping Pel was the best way to make that happen. Anything is obviously still possible at this point.

Triple T

Gottlieb said this? Wow. Like HA just said, this guy is a proven insider.

Things should get interesting.

WilsonHog

What Gottlieb is saying might - and I stress "might" - fit with conditions being met which Pel has small hope of achieving....such as making the NCAA Tournament.

There are people close to the program who would be very surprised if Pelphrey is the coach next year.

We'll see.

Hawgon

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 01, 2011, 05:02:37 pm
What Gottlieb is saying might - and I stress "might" - fit with conditions being met which Pel has small hope of achieving....such as making the NCAA Tournament.

There are people close to the program who would be very surprised if Pelphrey is the coach next year.

We'll see.

Well, we ain't making the tournament unless we cut down the nets in Atlanta.

Breems

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 01, 2011, 05:02:37 pm

We'll see.

WilsonHog sighting FTW!!!

That could be, indeed.  I'm not sure who put forth that expectation.  Jeff Long having more expectations than the fans?  Wouldn't that be a doozy?

56Hog

He also used the word "embarrassed" with regard to Arkansas.  My guess is that came from someone in the Arkansas camp, maybe someone who chats with Gottlieb regularly and who lives in the northern suburbs of metro Fayetteville.

It may just be an educated guess but he knows the pot is about to boil over in Fayetteville, likely with the very next dumb loss by pro-PELlerhead, maybe as soon as tomorrow night and he wants to get in front of it.  Gottlieb wanted to yank the MU fans chain for sure.  My guess is he has no idea if MA is the guy or not but you can read the talk show guys comments that he may be getting restless in Columbia and the fans are too.

Interesting.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

rude1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2011, 04:52:33 pm
Who am I to dismiss a proven insider who just laid his nuts out there for all to see, ya know?

Believe it or not, but I put a message in to Gottlieb to see if he will acknowledge whether he was doing more speculating than claiming. He's obviously in Stillwell and not doing his radio show today, but if he does decide to respond, I'll gladly pass on what he says.

All I want is for the 2011 kids to get here. We need a talent upgrade in a major way. I've always been of the opinion that keeping Pel was the best way to make that happen. Anything is obviously still possible at this point.
I still believe this is all premature. There's still basketball to be played and what happens if the team goes on a run, wins the last two and a couple in the SEC tourney to the championship game? Now I don't believe this is going to happen, but an AD has to be prepared to cover both sides, in case the coach wins out or looses out. Hard to imagine that JL would be committed already to letting Pelphrey go, after he has been so supportive of him up to this point.

PaleHorse

Hog Database \ Arkansas Razorback Football History

PonderinHog

Well, isn't that Suspecial!

pfrg999

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2011, 02:27:24 pm
Gottlieb speculated as much on a recent ESPN college b-ball blog of his as well.

As Much as I want him gone... And maybe I am wrong..God let me be wrong!!!!
I just don't see it happening... GOD let me Be wrong...
I really just don't See Long pulling the trigger....
please let me Be wrong...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Hawgon

Quote from: rude1 on March 01, 2011, 05:07:41 pm
I still believe this is all premature. There's still basketball to be played and what happens if the team goes on a run, wins the last two and a couple in the SEC tourney to the championship game? Now I don't believe this is going to happen, but an AD has to be prepared to cover both sides, in case the coach wins out or looses out. Hard to imagine that JL would be committed already to letting Pelphrey go, after he has been so supportive of him up to this point.

Has he been supportive?  We haven't heard a peep from JL this year.

If JL really knows he can get Anderson, he has absolutely nothing to lose in firing Pelphrey.  He gives the fans and most of the boosters exactly what they want and excitement around the program will explode. 

If it doesn't work, no one will blame Long.  Nope, if he can make Anderson happen, he has nothing to lose by cutting Pelphrey.

TRUHOG718

This is Gottlieb's busy season (march madness). I don't see why he would put this out now unless he had valid reason.  There may be more to this than it appears.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

mmhogs17

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on March 01, 2011, 05:17:56 pm
This is Gottlieb's busy season (march madness). I don't see why he would put this out now unless he had valid reason.  There may be more to this than it appears.

Like Wilson said, many people still feel Pel will not be here next year. Even after the 2 game winning streak.

We shall see

rogersvillemohog

Being from the "Show Me State" I'll believe it when I see it.
:razorback: :razorback:
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

jgphillips3

Given the renewed energy Pel seems to be displaying and the almost coherent basketball being displayed at times, I think Pel knows he is no longer safe.  He has been coaching with a frantic energy that almost screams "job on the line".  Perhaps that little extra energy is what allowed us to squeak past Kentucky and awful Auburn. 

However, barring a miracle run in the SEC tournament and a good showing at the NCAA (not NIT) tournament, he still needs to find another location to do good basketball things.  Hopefully, he can parlay this late season "surge" into a good mid-major and make this a clean transition.

Breems

Quote from: rogersvillemohog on March 01, 2011, 05:22:04 pm
Being from the "Show Me State" I'll believe it when I see it.
:razorback: :razorback:

Being from the "Natural" state, I'll believe it when... grrr... why couldn't we be the sunshine state or something?

grayhawg

A little ahead of everything, buy doesn't Mike still have a house in Fayetteville?

PonderinHog

March 01, 2011, 05:28:19 pm #91 Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:30:49 pm by PonderinHog
We're the Land of Suspopportunititty.

Breems

Quote from: grayhawg on March 01, 2011, 05:27:31 pm
A little ahead of everything, buy doesn't Mike still have a house in Fayetteville?

I thought he sold it.  I remember everyone getting depressed about it.

pfrg999

Wow... "Arkansas is a Marquee Job"
"Great Class but how many will be suspended or never see the court"
Is the main stream Sports media thinking the Same thing that we all are... Except for a Few holdouts...
That a Bad Coach or a Mediocre Coach with Great players is still a bad/Mediocre coach
That the reason for lack of Talent is that Pel has recruited Bad Players and they left or were kicked off...
That a 2011 Class .. Should Not Guarantee another year
That Arkansas IS a premier job... And thats not from us Old dudes...

Franky I am surprised with a 2 game winning Streak...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

56Hog

Quote from: Hawgon on March 01, 2011, 05:15:14 pm
Has he been supportive?  We haven't heard a peep from JL this year.

If JL really knows he can get Anderson, he has absolutely nothing to lose in firing Pelphrey.  He gives the fans and most of the boosters exactly what they want and excitement around the program will explode. 

If it doesn't work, no one will blame Long.  Nope, if he can make Anderson happen, he has nothing to lose by cutting Pelphrey.

MA would be the perfect hire for Long.  Not only is he a fan favorite who will give them the style of play needed to fill BWA but they would be on the hook to back him for the long haul.  He might not get the program back to NR's heyday but its a safe bet Arkansas BB would be respectable and that's enough for now with FB likely to be the big show for all of CBP's years here.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

batmanfan

Bilar and Dykes are both denying the rumor.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: batmanfan on March 01, 2011, 05:52:04 pm
Bilar and Dykes are both denying the rumor.
Where did you hear this?

Hogeration

Just listened to the whole audio.  That sounded like there was more than just rumor behind the statement.  If this happens, it will be good day for Razorback basketball.  Turn off the lights and key the music.  It's time for "40 minutes of hell" once again.
GHG!

nwarazfan

Quote from: 56Hog on March 01, 2011, 05:31:12 pm
MA would be the perfect hire for Long.  Not only is he a fan favorite who will give them the style of play needed to fill BWA but they would be on the hook to back him for the long haul.  He might not get the program back to NR's heyday but its a safe bet Arkansas BB would be respectable and that's enough for now with FB likely to be the big show for all of CBP's years here.

Just respectable?  With the class we have coming and the opportunity to recruit Goodwin from in state?  Hell no.  You people have begged for Mike.  Made claims that he is the only answer for our program.  That we must have his style, even though it isn't the exact version we remember from the mid 90's, for fans to have interest.  If Coach A takes the job, he had better not lose one member of the signed class(in spite of the fact he has never been known as a great recruiter) and he had better win big with them next season and even bigger the next.  No excuses for him.  No other Arkansas coach would get a pass. 

WilsonHog

Perhaps, given his Oklahoma State connections with John, Gottlieb is floating this out there to gather support for keeping Pelphrey.