Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Doug Gottlieb

Started by chiefhawg, March 01, 2011, 02:13:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Hogger

Even if true, why throw that out there so casually at this point in the season? It doesn't help the Hogs and it doesn't help Mike at his current job. Neither team needs this kind of distraction right now.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Boarford T. Justice

March 01, 2011, 08:23:55 pm #151 Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:26:20 pm by Boarford T. Justice
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2011, 08:14:02 pm
I think most of us are sitting here thinking it doesn't sound right, based mostly on the date of the calender. He was just so 'matter of fact' about it though, as if he didn't even realize or care that he was saying this to thousands and thousands of listeners. I want to say it's BS...but I can't.

I'm going to actually agree with you, for once, partially,(Is that enough qualifiers?)......It really doesn't sound right, but it also sounds, so bizarre, it could be true.  I'll be honest, I don't think he had much to lose with that interview.  It could be seen as pandering to the KU audience.
#FreeMarquel

jesterzzn

Quote from: hogfan#1 on March 01, 2011, 08:21:32 pm
Please, that was the jist of it.  I listened to the entire thing.  It was very weird and never qualified by someone who really has no business even paying attention to Arkansas right now.  Not this time of year when we are no where near relavent.  While something maybe going on, that entire interview as it relates to Arkansas was just odd.

Actually its precisely because of who was doing the talking and how far off his radar we normally are that makes me wonder why you would question whether he did in fact hear this from somewhere that makes him believe it.

He clearly believed what he was saying.  He was talking about it like it was a forgone conclusion.

That's really really rare for a reporter, even if he's the former player variety, unless he's got a source.  Note that just because he has one source doesn't mean he has a story.  Standard practice is to have at least two independant sources before you report as fact.  So he probably only has one, but the one he has must make him pretty confident.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2011, 08:21:44 pm
The rumor/idea of Anderson replacing Pel has been talked about for multiple years now. It's nothing new. Of course Anderson would be a target. Anyone who follows basketball in this region has most likely heard of this scenario at one time or another.

What we need to be focusing on is if Gottlieb is for real about the job becoming open.

No question.  Arkansas + potential vacancy/vacancy = Anderson.  Anyone in the basketball community would draw this conclusion, whether it actually has legs or not.

MuskogeeHogFan

The rumor/idea of Anderson replacing Pel has been talked about for multiple years now. It's nothing new. Of course Anderson would be a target. Anyone who follows basketball in this region has most likely heard of this scenario at one time or another.

What we need to be focusing on is if Gottlieb is for real about the job becoming open.

While we are all speculating what this could mean...what if Gottlieb and Anderson are friends and Anderson wants a raise and a new contract? Good way to plant the seed to get one.

Truthfully, no one knows if this information is based in fact or just speculation itself. Give it a few weeks, 2-4, and we'll know.
Go Hogs Go!

rude1

Everyone should be suspect when he doesn't use any qualifier such as "Good Possibility". There is no way it could be etched in stone that Pelphrey is gone at the end of the season without knowing how the rest of the season finishes out. Most believe it won't happen including myself, but what if he gets the team on a roll and wins 4 straight, then what? Do you still fire him?  Any decision on firing him would have to wait till the season plays out. He has won just enough up to this point that if he finishes strong, it would make it appear you let him go just as he was about to hit his stride.

HF#1

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 01, 2011, 08:28:09 pm
Actually its precisely because of who was doing the talking and how far off his radar we normally are that makes me wonder why you would question whether he did in fact hear this from somewhere that makes him believe it.

He clearly believed what he was saying.  He was talking about it like it was a forgone conclusion.

That's really really rare for a reporter, even if he's the former player variety, unless he's got a source.  Note that just because he has one source doesn't mean he has a story.  Standard practice is to have at least two independant sources before you report as fact.  So he probably only has one, but the one he has must make him pretty confident.

I have a hard time grasping at these straws because more often than not it's crap.  Is it possible Long is conducting a very quiet search?  Sure it is.  I hope he is.  I just don't trust the media anymore.  That's a shame but until I see it for myself or our new coach is on the floor I'm skeptical.

It's that same reason why I don't really believe or pay attention to anything posted in here.  90% of the time it's total BS.  5% it's half ass correct and 5% the info is  right.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 01, 2011, 08:23:55 pm
I'm going to actually agree with you, for once, partially,(Is that enough qualifiers?)......It really doesn't sound right, but it also sounds, so bizarre, it could be true.  I'll be honest, I don't think he had much to lose with that interview.  It could be seen as pandering to the KU audience.

Pandering to KU, how so?  Please elaborate, as I am curious to know your thoughts.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogfan#1 on March 01, 2011, 08:33:05 pm
I have a hard time grasping at these straws because more often than not it's crap.  Is it possible Long is conducting a very quiet search?  Sure it is.  I hope he is.  I just don't trust the media anymore.  That's a shame but until I see it for myself or our new coach is on the floor I'm skeptical.

It's that same reason why I don't really believe or pay attention to anything posted in here.  90% of the time it's total BS.  5% it's half ass correct and 5% the info is  right.
You give us too much credit.

jesterzzn

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 01, 2011, 08:23:55 pm

Actually I think he's dead wrong.  I'm more interested in finding out where he heard it, because someone is feeding it to media in Mizzou if both he and the host heard the same thing independent of each other.

That to me is the real story here.  Who is putting this out there.  If we knew that, the why would take care of itself.

And don't dismiss the idea that this could be coming from Pelphrey himself.  Gotlieb runs in the same circles as Pelphrey, and it would not surprise me if a person close to Pelphrey that also happens to be close to Oklahoma State and Gotlieb let it slip that Pelphrey will not be back.

secfan30

"As I lay me down to sleep, I pray the lord......."

Hogeration

Still waiting on Pork to chime in.  Anyone heard from him?

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 01, 2011, 08:15:05 pm
I agree I don't think he believed he was "reporting" anything.  But he was certainly not giving the impression this was idle speculation.  He was definately informed by someone he gives some level of credence.

If he was reporting it would have been posted on ESPN.com as "Douglas G reports..."

So that tells me that he thinks his info is valid, but must have been given to him off the record.
Eddie Sutton, who is Gottlieb's idol, was at the UA v UK game last week....this is obvious pure speculation, may be the same thing Gottlieb is working on, but I wonder if Sutton knows someone and Gottlieb got his information from Sutton ?  just a thought
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HF#1

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 01, 2011, 08:35:13 pm
You give us too much credit.

Probably.  I'm a nice guy though. I finish last..
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PonderinHog

Eddie was at the UK game last week.  Echo.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: rude1 on March 01, 2011, 08:32:44 pm
Everyone should be suspect when he doesn't use any qualifier such as "Good Possibility". There is no way it could be etched in stone that Pelphrey is gone at the end of the season without knowing how the rest of the season finishes out. Most believe it won't happen including myself, but what if he gets the team on a roll and wins 4 straight, then what? Do you still fire him?  Any decision on firing him would have to wait till the season plays out. He has won just enough up to this point that if he finishes strong, it would make it appear you let him go just as he was about to hit his stride.

I agree, and this is an excellent point.  If this were to be the case, it would be a public relations disaster, and could even worse, sour recruits that Pel has signed. 

The timing of this whole deal is just .. weird.  It seems too early, given that Pel still has huge games remaining in what must be considered as the crucial part of the schedule.  What if the Hogs win out?  What if they win the SECT?  What if they go to the Dance and win a game?  Realistic, maybe not.  Possible, probable ?? .... at this point, there is unfinished business with the 2011 season.

secfan30

Quote from: rclsmith on March 01, 2011, 08:16:59 pm
If a win over an Auburn team that was earlier referred to by an ESPN analyst as "not only the worst team in college basketball this year, but quite possibly the worst team ever" and a home victory over a Kentucky team that has one only one road game all year is grounds for keeping Pel given our pitiful performance in the horrendous SEC West in a down SEC, then we should all be ashamed over how far our program has fallen.

And for you Pel supporters who laud his willingness to sit/suspend the troublemakers/malcontents, I applaud his willingness to do so; but one also must point out that he recruited these same players.  The sad truth is that he has been here 4 years, the roster is made up entirely of players he recruited, and our team/talent is worse than I can ever remember--and I will be 50 years old at the end of this month.  I used to live for Hog basketball, and I rarely even watch anymore; I can't take the easy layups on inbound passes, lackadaisical play etc.  I could go on forever, but it comes down to coaching.  And we don't have a coach.  I cheered his hiring, but he has not and will not get it done at Arkansas.  We can and will do better.

Now you Pel lovers go ahead and pile on.

Man..... I love you! +1

HF#1

Quote from: razorpride89 on March 01, 2011, 08:37:54 pm
http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/daveabarr/~YCEpo

Dykes could be doing Long's bidding but could just be putting to bed rumors about his alma mater.  Gottlieb I don't know anything about but my gut tells me he's full of you know what.

cityhog

Boooooo.  I like dougs news better.

jesterzzn

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 01, 2011, 08:37:08 pm
Eddie Sutton, who is Gottlieb's idol, was at the UA v UK game last week....this is obvious pure speculation, may be the same thing Gottlieb is working on, but I wonder if Sutton knows someone and Gottlieb got his information from Sutton ?  just a thought

Yea, look up and you will see we think alike.

But I was thinking a different Sutton might be the source.

pondwater jack

HOW MANY DYKES? ???  Two, three. 
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on March 01, 2011, 08:33:10 pm
Pandering to KU, how so?  Please elaborate, as I am curious to know your thoughts.

No offense.....Just a KU/Mizzou audience and they are trying to get ratings.   I would think, news of Mizzou's coach leaving for Arkansas would interest both sides. 

#FreeMarquel

RockChalkJayhawk

Ironically .... Nebraska 56  Missouri 42  with 7:41 to go.

Houston h

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 01, 2011, 08:41:20 pm
No offense.....Just a KU/Mizzou audience and they are trying to get ratings.   I would think, news of Mizzou's coach leaving for Arkansas would interest both sides.

I see your point, thanks BTJ.

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: Ar_Hog on March 01, 2011, 08:39:10 pm
BTJ agreeing with HA ???

I did just send the planets spinning in the wrong DIrection!
#FreeMarquel

GuvHog

Quote from: hogfan#1 on March 01, 2011, 08:02:52 pm
I don't think anyone knows what Long wants.

They don't know if he wants to fire Pelphrey
They don't know if he would go after Mike Anderson
They don't know who is on his short list

A lot of people don't know sh*t to be honest.

You think wrong. There are posters on here who are in the know and have excellent sources that have stated that Jeff Long does not want Mike Anderson because He doesn't believe Anderson would be an upgrade over Pelphrey.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 01, 2011, 08:41:20 pm
Not to mention our obvious interest in Bill Self.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 01, 2011, 08:43:25 pm
You think wrong. There are posters on here who are in the know and have excellent sources that have stated that Jeff Long does not want Mike Anderson because He doesn't believe Anderson would be an upgrade over Pelphrey.

Maybe so, but I'd think if Long was catching enough heat, perhaps his view on this issue would change?

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 01, 2011, 08:44:03 pm
Not to mention our obvious interest in Bill Self.

You're wasting your time there  ;)

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: hogeration on March 01, 2011, 08:36:07 pm
Still waiting on Pork to chime in.  Anyone heard from him?

On a plane to Columbia as we speak. Presser at 4.

razorpride89

RockChalkJayhawk

Yowza, this reads like some of the game threads we've had here ....   :-[

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/list.php?board=1

Hawgon

Do you honestly believe Dykes would say it even if it were true?  I don't.

ray serbach

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 01, 2011, 08:46:26 pm
On a plane to Columbia as we speak. Presser at 4.

Bogota or South Carolina?
#FreeMarquel

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on March 01, 2011, 08:48:51 pm
Yowza, this reads like some of the game threads we've had here ....   :-[

Their board sucks......I think, we should all give Lanny a +1 for this forum after viewing that craphole.
#FreeMarquel

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 01, 2011, 08:49:19 pm
Bogota or South Carolina?

They said they couldn't tell me for sure, but they'd check in when they got there.....................

PMRH out...................

HawgAlude

March 01, 2011, 08:54:34 pm #189 Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:56:24 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 01, 2011, 08:43:25 pm

P _ _ _ on Jeff Long he had to be forced on a plane to go get Petrino. Long wanted to hire a freaking ACC coach which would have been FAIL. He can leave with Pel as far as I am concerned.

FACT

PEL + Top 5 recruiting class= 2nd round NCAA exit

MA + Top 5 recruiting class = final four

put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Long

yraciv

I believe Gottlieb! He is trying to break a story, and he wouldn't just spread a rumor that he knows nothing of. He is outspoken, but I haven't ever seen the guy just spew out garbage rumors. There has to be something there. 

Dykes is an AR fan, and is way too close to the program. He probably knows exactly what is going on, and could be looking to protect the program, so these rumors don't blow up and backfire.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 01, 2011, 08:51:18 pm
Their board sucks......I think, we should all give Lanny a +1 for this forum after viewing that craphole.

+1 big-time.  This board is the best indeed. 

GuvHog

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on March 01, 2011, 08:44:27 pm
Maybe so, but I'd think if Long was catching enough heat, perhaps his view on this issue would change?

Long is a very stubborn man who likes showing everyone that he is running the show so I doubt very seriously that he's changed his mind about Anderson.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 01, 2011, 08:53:48 pm
They said they couldn't tell me for sure, but they'd check in when they got there.....................

PMRH out...................

Gotta love it when Poor ole Robby has his pulse on the news +1......I'm a fiiiiiiighter!
#FreeMarquel

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 01, 2011, 08:55:25 pm
Long is a very stubborn man who likes showing everyone that he is running the show so I doubt very seriously that he's changed his mind about Anderson.

I believe you Guv, but my observation is that IF the Arkansas job opens, and Mike Anderson doesn't get first call, second call ... all call ... then Long will be even less popular than he is now, if that is possible, at least on this board.

*btw, NU 68  MU 56 1:03 to go.

fred ziffel

I hear there is somewhat a little truth to this....but that it has already backfired big time.
"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: HawgAlude on March 01, 2011, 08:54:34 pm
P _ _ _ on Jeff Long he had to be forced on a plane to go get Petrino. Long wanted to hire a freaking ACC coach which would have been FAIL. He can leave with Pel as far as I am concerned.

FACT

That is fine post right there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#FreeMarquel

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 01, 2011, 08:56:57 pm
Gotta love it when Poor ole Robby has his pulse on the news +1......I'm a fiiiiiiighter!

Winner and a fighter, Chuck.... My contract says 2014 on it, I'm not going anywhere. The SEC, it's a two shoelace league, gotta go out there and compete, gotta play together, like a family. Gotta lay down and bleed sometimes, too. A warrior's gotta do that.

Breems

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on March 01, 2011, 08:48:51 pm
Yowza, this reads like some of the game threads we've had here ....   :-[

I'd rather have a few per year than six thousand every game. 
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HawgAlude on March 01, 2011, 08:54:34 pm

FACT

Hell, I'd have Long pass it my way if Anderson ever came close to enrolling a top 5 class. The man can certainly coach/motivate, but he's not been known as the most aggressive recruiter. If he could only land players with higher ceilings, he'd have a top 10 program.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12