Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Doug Gottlieb

Started by chiefhawg, March 01, 2011, 02:13:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 01, 2011, 05:58:17 pm
Perhaps, given his Oklahoma State connections with John, Gottlieb is floating this out there to gather support for keeping Pelphrey.

I don't see it. That would be one hell of an elaborate scheme that doesn't/shouldn't do much for Pel or Gottlieb.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

WilsonHog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2011, 06:05:04 pm
I don't see it. That would be one hell of an elaborate scheme that doesn't/shouldn't do much for Pel or Gottlieb.

Yeah, it's a reach. I'm just trying to make sense of something that, on its face, doesn't make a helluva lot of sense on March 1st. 

HOGwarts

I really hope this is more than just a rumor. I wanting Mike Anderson after we fired Heath. I really hope he comes here and shows us again what 40 minutes of Hell is really about and not this 40 minutes of phailprey we have been seeing recently.  :razorback:

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HOGwarts on March 01, 2011, 06:11:51 pm
I really hope this is more than just a rumor. I wanting Mike Anderson after we fired Heath. I really hope he comes here and shows us again what 40 minutes of Hell is really about and not this 40 minutes of phailprey we have been seeing recently.  :razorback:

Just keep in mind that the only actual rumor in this is that the job will be open.

Everything else is just speculation.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mathhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 01, 2011, 05:02:37 pm
What Gottlieb is saying might - and I stress "might" - fit with conditions being met which Pel has small hope of achieving....such as making the NCAA Tournament.

There are people close to the program who would be very surprised if Pelphrey is the coach next year.

We'll see.

I know my word is mud considering the failed push last year.

But, for what it's worth, I am hearing as much as what you posted.

That the die has been cast and barring an actual invite to the dance he is out. 

Strangely, I am actually *MORE* confident that pel is gone now that we won 2 straight than after we'd lost to bama.  funny thing is, i think seeing that nothing great happened for pel after winning (in terms of jeff long public support or in terms of boosters letting up or the media letting up) proved to me he's on the way out more than the losses.  anybody can yell 'fire pel' after a bad loss.

Again, just what I heard -- and bear in mind i'm not in the ad office like others' connectiosn here.  just passing it on. 

I'm more confident now that Pel is gone than I was 2 weeks ago.   Take it or leave it!!!!

TOM "tbw1"

Please remember this is the same ESPN that was announcing TT was coming to Arkansas as Coach Broyles was introducing TCTWF.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

WilsonHog

Let me add this, and again I'm just trying to use some common sense.

Doug Gottlieb is insulated; he can go on his show today and say what he did without fear of any repercussions.

Local folks cannot do that.

Which is why this rumor will be denied inside the boundaries of our state until it happens....or until it doesn't.

TOM "tbw1"

FWIW, if you do a Google search of this no one is picking up on it but Arkansas message boards as of 6:43.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

jesterzzn

If this is true, then you guys can bet your bottom dollar that there is a 0% chance of Mike Anderson coming to Arkansas, and there was probably about the same chance that Long was ever seriously interested.

This is being leaked WAY way too early for it to be genuine.  What I mean is that this is entirely a PR spin job so that Long could hire whoever the hell he really wants, and the public would believe he went after Anderson, even if they never even spoke through proxy.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 01, 2011, 06:37:33 pm

Doug Gottlieb is insulated; he can go on his show today and say what he did without fear of any repercussions.

Which is why this rumor will be denied inside the boundaries of our state until it happens....or until it doesn't.

Wilson, as an administrator in the school business, do you think this smacks of the same foolishness we went through when everyone thought Billy Clyde would be the second coming at Arkansas.  All this seems to do is to give Mizzou an opportunity to tie Mike down.  OR it could be used as a smokescreen to give the impression we went after Mike and he turned us down.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 01, 2011, 06:37:33 pm

I'm interested to see if Gottleib actually does go ahead and say it on his show, and doesn't think he can let it slide on a much lesser heard AM station that he was a guest on.

GuvHog

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 01, 2011, 06:46:27 pm
If this is true, then you guys can bet your bottom dollar that there is a 0% chance of Mike Anderson coming to Arkansas, and there was probably about the same chance that Long was ever seriously interested.

This is being leaked WAY way too early for it to be genuine.  What I mean is that this is entirely a PR spin job so that Long could hire whoever the hell he really wants, and the public would believe he went after Anderson, even if they never even spoke through proxy.

Gottlieb said the Arkansas job would be open. He DIDN'T say the Hogs would go after MA. I believe the first has legs but the second part does not.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Spider-Pig

If this is true, Gottlieb gets major cred points from me

chiefsfan

Im going to go on record that if Arkansas has made a decision at this moment it would be a terrible mistake.

What happens if Pelphrey goes on a roll and wins a bunch of games, do you really think the school wants it out there again that the school is talking to coaches about a job that isnt even officially open yet?
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

RivercrestHog

I'm a Pel-hater, but I would much rather keep Pel than fire him and go through another disaster like we did after we fired Heath. If this rumor is true, we better have the contract on the desk and the pen in the hand of our next coach before we fire Pel.

WilsonHog

Quote from: tbw1 on March 01, 2011, 06:47:08 pm
Wilson, as an administrator in the school business, do you think this smacks of the same foolishness we went through when everyone thought Billy Clyde would be the second coming at Arkansas.  All this seems to do is to give Mizzou an opportunity to tie Mike down.  OR it could be used as a smokescreen to give the impression we went after Mike and he turned us down.

I think there is no question that regardless of whether Mike is actually even remotely interested, a vacancy HAS to mean that Long pursues him - or at least pretends to, because the public reaction from the Anderson camp will be the same regardless.

That leaves Long free to look elsewhere without getting roasted.

ttrk05

IF this is true are we dead sure we want MA?   I know a lot of people on here would love to use his dirty towel to snuggle with at night but have you watched his team this year?   

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: tbw1 on March 01, 2011, 06:43:20 pm
FWIW, if you do a Google search of this no one is picking up on it but Arkansas message boards as of 6:43.

Well because no one outside of Arkansas cares.  And it was just one talking head on a local KC station.  It wasn't a print report it was a podcast where the guy gave his opinion.  He was quoting sources.  He was just saying look for this or that to happen.  Wanks open their mouths a thousand times a day and say crap like this.  Mort may come on Bo's show and say something.  Not everything he says  is picked up.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: ttrk05 on March 01, 2011, 07:10:01 pm
IF this is true are we dead sure we want MA?   I know a lot of people on here would love to use his dirty towel to snuggle with at night but have you watched his team this year?

They're a tournament a team in a tougher conference. You're right, why would we want that?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ttrk05 on March 01, 2011, 07:10:01 pm
IF this is true are we dead sure we want MA?   I know a lot of people on here would love to use his dirty towel to snuggle with at night but have you watched his team this year?  

They are ranked. They are going to the NCAA, have been ranked most of the year, 4 of their 7 losses have been to ranked teams. K-state should be ranked and OSU and CU both have winning records.  I would love for that to be a down year for us. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 01, 2011, 06:46:27 pm

There's rarely such thing as a 0% chance in college athletics. All it takes is money and the right coaching demands being met to make a move.

Exceptions:
Coach K
Roy Williams?

Iwastherein1969

Break out the Thorazine tubules and the straight jackets...oh I'd say about 3 injections of the maximum 50mg will be necessary to get the three people I'm thinking about into their straight jackets if, in fact, Ginger is let go.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HF#1

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 01, 2011, 06:51:43 pm
Gottlieb said the Arkansas job would be open. He DIDN'T say the Hogs would go after MA. I believe the first has legs but the second part does not.

No Guv, go listen to it again with your hearing aide in.  He said the Arkansas job would be open and MIZZOU FANS SHOULD START SWEATING because we want MA. They even talked about if Mike peeks at another job should Mizzou just let him go if he wants to go... 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

3kgthog

I don't trust anything that comes out of the mouth of a thief and that's what Gottlieb was in his college days.

psooie

missouri has a good replacement at missouri state but i doubt MA gets the hog job, could see tubby become a hog.

HF#1

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 01, 2011, 07:50:29 pm
I don't trust anything that comes out of the mouth of a thief and that's what Gottlieb was in his college days.

I don't believe him either.  I wonder what made him decide to comment on the Arkansas situation at all.  He has no reason to even discuss Arkansas.  I guess they were talking about it in context of Mike Anderson but still.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

jesterzzn

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on March 01, 2011, 07:40:53 pm
There's rarely such thing as a 0% chance in college athletics. All it takes is money and the right coaching demands being met to make a move.

Exceptions:
Coach K
Roy Williams?
What I'm saying is that if they let it leak this early they didn't really want him and are just putting up a smoke screen.  That they have no plan to make him an actual offer much less address any possible coaching demands.  This is all a dog and pony show for the fan's benifit so that when they hire whomever, they can do so with the public perception that they at least tried to go for Anderson.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 01, 2011, 07:53:52 pm
What I'm saying is that if they let it leak this early they didn't really want him and are just putting up a smoke screen.  That they have no plan to make him an actual offer much less address any possible coaching demands.  This is all a dog and pony show for the fan's benifit so that when they hire whomever, they can do so with the public perception that they at least tried to go for Anderson.
valid point
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HawgAdvocate

March 01, 2011, 07:59:00 pm #128 Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:00:48 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: jesterzzn on March 01, 2011, 07:53:52 pm

None of that is even a blip on the radar until an offer is reportedly confirmed to have been made.

There are enough money players that would have to be involved that the notion that an offer would secretly never exist isn't possible.

The_Bionic_Pig

Doug is guessing.... NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE ON PELPHREY!!

The remaining games will decide his fate....
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

GuvHog

Quote from: hogfan#1 on March 01, 2011, 07:49:52 pm
No Guv, go listen to it again with your hearing aide in.  He said the Arkansas job would be open and MIZZOU FANS SHOULD START SWEATING because we want MA. They even talked about if Mike peeks at another job should Mizzou just let him go if he wants to go... 

He said the Arkansas job would be open as a fact, THEN he gave his opinion that Missouri folks should start sweating because Arkansas might come after Anderson. He obviously doesn't know that Long doesn't want Anderson.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Breems

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 01, 2011, 07:59:59 pm

The remaining games will decide his fate....

Remaining games = Mississippi State - Win, @Ole Miss - Loss.  What will be his fate?  Oh, and if it's UGA or UK in the SECT, I'd guess a 1st round exit.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

jesterzzn

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2011, 07:59:00 pm
None of that is even a blip on the radar until an offer is reportedly confirmed to have been made.
The first sentence of my first post (which the one you quote was only a clarification) began with "if this is true."

So yea.

HF#1

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 01, 2011, 08:00:37 pm
He said the Arkansas job would be open as a fact, THEN he gave his opinion that Missouri folks should start sweating because Arkansas might come after Anderson. He obviously doesn't know that Long doesn't want Anderson.

I don't think anyone knows what Long wants.

They don't know if he wants to fire Pelphrey
They don't know if he would go after Mike Anderson
They don't know who is on his short list

A lot of people don't know sh*t to be honest.

jesterzzn

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 01, 2011, 07:59:59 pm

The problem here is that he didn't say he was guessing.  He said he has heard pel is gone.  That arkansas will come open.  He then called it a marquee job and claimed there would be alot of interest from people that want to win at a big job right away.

They then speculated on Anderson, but the speculation was tied to again "what he had heard" and the host claimed to have heard the exact same thing.  That Arkansas was coming open and anderson was a target.

He may be dead wrong, but he was not speculating, he was claiming to have a source.

Hogeration

I'm actually shocked at the validity HA and Wilson are even giving this rumor.  I'm not hatin' on it, just shocked.  I really expected for HA to come out and blow this whole thing out of the water.

All I can figure is that you guys know more than most of us daily readers know and you are just buying time before bigger news comes out.

traffordhog

After listening to the blurb Gottlieb does sound kinda "matter of fact" on the firing of Pelphrey.  I'm kinda surprised at this coming out at this time and just makes wonder.  All I want is for the Basketball Program to get fixed, no matter who the coach is or how much $$$ it takes.  The Bud needs to be filled again with "rabid hog fans!"

HF#1

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 01, 2011, 08:06:37 pm
The problem here is that he didn't say he was guessing.  He said he has heard pel is gone.  That arkansas will come open.  He then called it a marquee job and claimed there would be alot of interest from people that want to win at a big job right away.

They then speculated on Anderson, but the speculation was tied to again "what he had heard" and the host claimed to have heard the exact same thing.  That Arkansas was coming open and anderson was a target.

He may be dead wrong, but he was not speculating, he was claiming to have a source.

Sure you didn't hear what you wanted to hear?  I didn't hear him even mention any kind of source what so ever. Nor did he make any attempt to qualify his statement.   All he said was Arkansas would be open and Mizzou fans should sweat.

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: hogfan#1 on March 01, 2011, 08:02:52 pm
I don't think anyone knows what Long wants.

They don't know if he wants to fire Pelphrey
They don't know if he would go after Mike Anderson
They don't know who is on his short list

A lot of people don't know sh*t to be honest.

Is Long that important?  The rumor is that 4 BOT's are and have been against Pel.  If one more flipped, isn't Long basically powerless or a puppet?  Funny how these things turn.
#FreeMarquel

jesterzzn

Quote from: hogfan#1 on March 01, 2011, 08:08:52 pm
Sure you didn't hear what you wanted to hear?  I didn't hear him even mention any kind of source what so ever. Nor did he make any attempt to qualify his statement.   All he said was Arkansas would be open and Mizzou fans should sweat.
Word for word, Host to Gottie.

"So you've heard what I've heard?"

"Yea."

HF#1

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 01, 2011, 08:09:20 pm
Is Long that important?  The rumor is that 4 BOT's are and have been against Pel.  If one more flipped, isn't Long basically powerless or a puppet?  Funny how these things turn.

I guess we'll find out. 

jesterzzn

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 01, 2011, 08:09:20 pm
No, they can only fire Long, not Pelphrey.  In fact they might not even be able to fire long.

They could really make things hard on long, but they can't fire a coach.  They don't have the authority.

HF#1

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 01, 2011, 08:10:07 pm
Word for word, Host to Gottie.

"So you've heard what I've heard?"

"Yea."

Again he could be reading Jumpball for Pete sakes.  It was very very rumorish and vague. At least make the statement "I have a source that says JP is out at the end of the season." then go from there with the rest of the convo. 

HawgAdvocate

March 01, 2011, 08:14:02 pm #143 Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:16:42 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: hogeration on March 01, 2011, 08:07:17 pm
I'm actually shocked at the validity HA and Wilson are even giving this rumor.  I'm not hatin' on it, just shocked.  I really expected for HA to come out and blow this whole thing out of the water.

All I can figure is that you guys know more than most of us daily readers know and you are just buying time before bigger news comes out.

I think most of us are sitting here thinking it doesn't sound right, based mostly on the date of the calender. He was just so 'matter of fact' about it though, as if he didn't even realize or care that he was saying this to thousands and thousands of listeners. I want to say it's BS...but I can't.

jesterzzn

Quote from: hogfan#1 on March 01, 2011, 08:13:08 pm
Again he could be reading Jumpball for Pete sakes.  It was very very rumorish and vague. At least make the statement "I have a source that says JP is out at the end of the season." then go from there with the rest of the convo. 

I agree I don't think he believed he was "reporting" anything.  But he was certainly not giving the impression this was idle speculation.  He was definately informed by someone he gives some level of credence.

If he was reporting it would have been posted on ESPN.com as "Douglas G reports..."

So that tells me that he thinks his info is valid, but must have been given to him off the record.

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: hogfan#1 on March 01, 2011, 08:08:52 pm
Sure you didn't hear what you wanted to hear?  I didn't hear him even mention any kind of source what so ever. Nor did he make any attempt to qualify his statement.   All he said was Arkansas would be open and Mizzou fans should sweat.

If this is all you heard, go find a link.  That was the VERY beginning, just the tease.  DG got pretty specific after that and the hosts admitted to hearing the same thing.   You missed 80% of the interview.
#FreeMarquel

rclsmith

If a win over an Auburn team that was earlier referred to by an ESPN analyst as "not only the worst team in college basketball this year, but quite possibly the worst team ever" and a home victory over a Kentucky team that has one only one road game all year is grounds for keeping Pel given our pitiful performance in the horrendous SEC West in a down SEC, then we should all be ashamed over how far our program has fallen.

And for you Pel supporters who laud his willingness to sit/suspend the troublemakers/malcontents, I applaud his willingness to do so; but one also must point out that he recruited these same players.  The sad truth is that he has been here 4 years, the roster is made up entirely of players he recruited, and our team/talent is worse than I can ever remember--and I will be 50 years old at the end of this month.  I used to live for Hog basketball, and I rarely even watch anymore; I can't take the easy layups on inbound passes, lackadaisical play etc.  I could go on forever, but it comes down to coaching.  And we don't have a coach.  I cheered his hiring, but he has not and will not get it done at Arkansas.  We can and will do better.

Now you Pel lovers go ahead and pile on.

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 01, 2011, 08:11:51 pm
No, they can only fire Long, not Pelphrey.  In fact they might not even be able to fire long.

They could really make things hard on long, but they can't fire a coach.  They don't have the authority.

I understand what you are saying, but this politics now.....They could affect change, if they wanted to.
#FreeMarquel

HF#1

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 01, 2011, 08:15:57 pm
If this is all you heard, go find a link.  That was the VERY beginning, just the tease.  DG got pretty specific after that and the hosts admitted to hearing the same thing.   You missed 80% of the interview.

Please, that was the jist of it.  I listened to the entire thing.  It was very weird and never qualified by someone who really has no business even paying attention to Arkansas right now.  Not this time of year when we are no where near relavent.  While something maybe going on, that entire interview as it relates to Arkansas was just odd.

HawgAdvocate

The rumor/idea of Anderson replacing Pel has been talked about for multiple years now. It's nothing new. Of course Anderson would be a target. Anyone who follows basketball in this region has most likely heard of this scenario at one time or another.

What we need to be focusing on is if Gottlieb is for real about the job becoming open.