Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Doug Gottlieb

Started by chiefhawg, March 01, 2011, 02:13:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chiefhawg

Don't know if this has been posted or not.

Gottlieb stated that Pel is gone and Arkansas is going after MA.
The comments were made on WHB 810 in KC.

http://www.810whb.com/podcasts

It is on the Gottlieb is pulled over podcast.

StoernerJonesFan

Danny J

cosmodrum

If true, I'd rather not have it leaked.
Go away, batin'

Oliver

jry04

I pray doug knows what he's talking about

The_Iceman

This is an odd time for him to come out and say this. I highly doubt he has anything put pure speculation to go on.

Breems

Who is this guy?

I got excited for a moment, but I'm just going to sit back and accept that it's another rumor and I'm getting overly excited over nothing.

EDIT:  OK, figured out he's an ESPN analyst.  That would add some credibility, but I'm still not giving it any fire.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Sam2k

I heard about this on twitter this afternoon but couldn't find a source.

Personally, I'm kind of credulous concerning the information.  My expectation is that Pelphrey is going to be back unless he leaves of his own accord by finding another head coaching job. I think after beating Kentucky, rightly or wrongly, many of the previously upset "normal" people have calmed down.

Me? I don't think winning one "big" game or even a winning streak should count for more than the past several seasons.  But that's just me.  If he does come back, I won't be devastated but I won't have high hopes either.

Oliver

Quote from: Breems on March 01, 2011, 02:23:10 pm
Who is this guy?

I got excited for a moment, but I'm just going to sit back and accept that it's another rumor and I'm getting overly excited over nothing.

ESPN Analyst who used to play for Oklahoma State.  Is somewhat knowledgeable about our program but I don't know how he would know this to be a fact.  I'm sure it's just speculation.

The_Iceman

Not gonna happen. I'd love it to, but it won't.

HawgAdvocate

Gottlieb speculated as much on a recent ESPN college b-ball blog of his as well.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Breems

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2011, 02:27:24 pm
Gottlieb speculated as much on a recent ESPN college b-ball blog of his as well.

Ahh, ok.

cosmodrum

March 01, 2011, 02:31:44 pm #13 Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:33:23 pm by cosmodrum
Quote from: The_Iceman on March 01, 2011, 02:27:02 pm
Not gonna happen. I'd love it to, but it won't.

I agree. It's rare that when something like this comes to fruition. Leaked too early, and now it's out in the public. And this assumes that Gottlieb is correct and we are cutting Pel loose and going after Mike. Pel may very well get let go, but we won't be getting Mike. Not now, for sure.

Go away, batin'

Razorpigg

He has always been good at passing stuff along, but could never shoot worth a lick.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on March 01, 2011, 02:31:20 pm
Ahh, ok.

But in this radio interview, he makes a point to let everyone know that what he speculated is going to happen. He is sayng that the job will become open, and that Missouri will have to worry about keeping Anderson. Make note that he never said or speculated that Anderson was coming.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

cosmodrum

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2011, 02:32:43 pm
But in this radio interview, he makes a point to let everyone know that what he speculated is going to happen. He is sayng that the job will become open, and that Missouri will have to worry about keeping Anderson. Make note that he never said or speculated that Anderson was coming.

Well, it would be impossible to know if MIke IS coming, but I doubt he does. Especially if this rumor grows legs and starts getting some real media attention.
Go away, batin'

Oliver

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 01, 2011, 02:35:16 pm
Well, it would be impossible to know if MIke IS coming, but I doubt he does. Especially if this rumor grows legs and starts getting some real media attention.

IF this job were to ever come open, it would be impossible to hush the speculation that we would be interested in Mike Anderson...even if we really had no interest whatsoever.  He's the obvious candidate.  Successful veteran coach who has ties to our university. 

I really wouldn't worry about a "leakage" of this information.  It was happening sooner than later.  I wish it wouldn't happen until Pel was fired...if he even will be fired.  But many have said that if this job came open, Anderson would want to come back.  We'll see if that's true should this Gottlieb speculation occur.

The_Iceman

If this is true (that Pel is gone), it would be best if no big outlets took this seriously. If he starts stating this on tv in ESPN interviews and this makes headlines, our chances at getting Mike decreases.

Lieutenant Dan

cosmodrum

Quote from: Oliver on March 01, 2011, 02:40:48 pm
IF this job were to ever come open, it would be impossible to hush the speculation that we would be interested in Mike Anderson...even if we really had no interest whatsoever.  He's the obvious candidate.  Successful veteran coach who has ties to our university. 

I really wouldn't worry about a "leakage" of this information.  It was happening sooner than later.  I wish it wouldn't happen until Pel was fired...if he even will be fired.  But many have said that if this job came open, Anderson would want to come back.  We'll see if that's true should this Gottlieb speculation occur.

Right. Of course MA's name would be mentioned when the job came open. And that's fine, because, if Long is smart, he wouldn't fire Pel until the day after the NCAAT, or at least, until target #1 was bounced out of the tourney. That's why this scares me. Now, (again, assuming that the media runs with the speculation) Mike will have to publicly say he's not interested in the Arkansas job, and I just don't think Mike is a Nick Saban sort guy to say that and soon after take the job. If Mike DOESN'T come out and say he's not interested, that's a different story.

Then again, I feel I'm getting WAY ahead of myself based on something one ESPN analyst "heard" from his sources.

We'll see, I suppose.
Go away, batin'

Breems

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 01, 2011, 02:43:17 pm
If this is true (that Pel is gone), it would be best if no big outlets took this seriously. If he starts stating this on tv in ESPN interviews and this makes headlines, our chances at getting Mike decreases.

I doubt this story will get much national attention.

National Attention >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Arkansas Basketball

cosmodrum

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 01, 2011, 02:43:17 pm

Yes. I scare.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Breems on March 01, 2011, 02:46:24 pm
I doubt this story will get much national attention.

National Attention >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Arkansas Basketball

Yeah, but it does involved Mizzou basketball, which is worthy of national attention.
Go away, batin'

Breems

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 01, 2011, 02:47:30 pm
Yeah, but it does involved Mizzou basketball, which is worthy of national attention.

Not yet it doesn't, and I doubt it will.

Oliver

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 01, 2011, 02:45:55 pm
Right. Of course MA's name would be mentioned when the job came open. And that's fine, because, if Long is smart, he wouldn't fire Pel until the day after the NCAAT, or at least, until target #1 was bounced out of the tourney. That's why this scares me. Now, (again, assuming that the media runs with the speculation) Mike will have to publicly say he's not interested in the Arkansas job, and I just don't think Mike is a Nick Saban sort guy to say that and soon after take the job. If Mike DOESN'T come out and say he's not interested, that's a different story.

Then again, I feel I'm getting WAY ahead of myself based on something one ESPN analyst "heard" from his sources.

We'll see, I suppose.

Nobody is going to ask Mike anything until Pel is fired.  If there is no job opening for him to take, there is really no reason to ask him about taking our job.  So don't worry until Pel is fired. 

Then it gets tricky.  If Long wants to fire Pelphrey, do you do it right after our season is over and risk "leaking" the Mike Anderson interest while we have a job opening.  Or do you wait until after the NCAAT?

cosmodrum

Quote from: Breems on March 01, 2011, 02:48:01 pm
Not yet it doesn't, and I doubt it will.

Actually, when Gottlieb said MA is our prime target, it involved Mizzou.
Go away, batin'

Razorpigg

I think were safe. We wont lose Pelphrey.

HF#1

This is the longest podcast ever.  Geezus..
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

cosmodrum

Quote from: Oliver on March 01, 2011, 02:54:19 pm
Nobody is going to ask Mike anything until Pel is fired.  If there is no job opening for him to take, there is really no reason to ask him about taking our job.  So don't worry until Pel is fired. 

Then it gets tricky.  If Long wants to fire Pelphrey, do you do it right after our season is over and risk "leaking" the Mike Anderson interest while we have a job opening.  Or do you wait until after the NCAAT?

All it takes is for one Columbia, MO reporter to ask Mike about the Gottlieb rumor. Note, this was on KC-area radio.
Go away, batin'

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

mmhogs17

cosmodrum

Quote from: Razorpigg on March 01, 2011, 02:56:29 pm
I think were safe. We wont lose Pelphrey.

Agreed, unfortunately.
Go away, batin'

Hawgon

Gottlieb is an Oklahoma State guy.  Played basketball for Eddie Sutton.  He still has ties to all the Oklahoma State guys and is friends with the Suttons.  One of John Pelphrey's best friends is Sean Sutton.  And of course, there are all the other connections between the Suttons and some of the those in the know at Arkansas.

If Gottlieb is saying it as a fact, then there is a better than average chance it is true.

WMHawgfan

If you have a grain of salt now would be a good time to take it.

cosmodrum

Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 01, 2011, 03:00:11 pm
9 million pages. LOL

Kinda like the scene in Ace Ventura 2 when Ace is playing with the slinky outside the temple.

"Isn't this incredible?! It's gonna be some kind of record!!!!"
Go away, batin'

Oliver

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 01, 2011, 02:59:07 pm
All it takes is for one Columbia, MO reporter to ask Mike about the Gottlieb rumor. Note, this was on KC-area radio.

Right.  And then he can say,  "I don't have time for radio station rumors.  There is no job opening at Arkansas.  Pelphrey is doing a fine job there.  And we have work to do here.  Next question."

Or something along the lines of that coach-speak.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Oliver on March 01, 2011, 03:04:27 pm
Right.  And then he can say,  "I don't have time for radio station rumors.  There is no job opening at Arkansas.  Pelphrey is doing a fine job there.  And we have work to do here.  Next question."

Or something along the lines of that coach-speak.

I would imagine that's what he'd say.
Go away, batin'

Hawgon

Gottlieb saying it is the first time I think it might actually happen.  Gottlieb has lots of ties with people that Pelphrye himself may have told.  If Gottlieb says it, there is a reasonable chance that the ultimate source of the news is John Pelphrey himself.

HawgAdvocate

As was said in a thread from a week or so ago, regarding what Mike Irwin was saying on his show (which Pork agreed with shortly after), any new coaching search can't be done without a public attempt for Mike Anderson coming first.

Gottlieb made some strong points as to why MA wouldn't/shouldn't leave. I've heard from a former player, involved in previously courting Anderson to another SEC school, who said he didn't see Anderson coming back here.

Will Long make (or be forced to make) a decision that could (once again) blow up in our face?

Breems

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 01, 2011, 02:55:10 pm
Actually, when Gottlieb said MA is our prime target, it involved Mizzou.

But it caught fire to what... 5 people on Hogville?

cosmodrum

Quote from: Hawgon on March 01, 2011, 03:07:30 pm
Gottlieb saying it is the first time I think it might actually happen.  Gottlieb has lots of ties with people that Pelphrye himself may have told.  If Gottlieb says it, there is a reasonable chance that the ultimate source of the news is John Pelphrey himself.

Which would help to explain the recent, uh, "fire" that seems to be lit under Pel's backside - auditioning for future employment...here or elsewhere.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Breems on March 01, 2011, 03:11:00 pm
But it caught fire to what... 5 people on Hogville?

And the 1000s of people that probably heard it on-air in KC. And wouldn't you think that Gottlieb might mention this again?

Not to mention those who read Gottlieb's blog...
Go away, batin'

Breems

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 01, 2011, 03:13:21 pm
And the 1000s of people that probably heard it on-air in KC. And wouldn't you think that Gottlieb might mention this again?

Fine, you win darn it.  I'm going to watch my Nick Mason video.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 01, 2011, 03:13:21 pm

Gotlieb certainly was "all in" on what he said. He stated that the job will be open, without any hesitiation or doubt.

That's one big matza ball.

Breems

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2011, 03:14:48 pm
Gotlieb certainly was "all in" on what he said. He stated that the job will be open, without any hesitiation or doubt.

Apparently he knows something we don't.  Got anything HA?

Maybe Pork will know.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Breems on March 01, 2011, 03:14:03 pm
Fine, you win darn it.  I'm going to watch my Nick Mason video.

Can't complain about a dude wanting to watch anything Pink Floyd related.

Shine on You Crazy Diamond...

Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Right, which makes me think this thing has legs.

Nice Seinfeld reference, btw.
Go away, batin'

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on March 01, 2011, 03:16:30 pm
Apparently he knows something we don't.  Got anything HA?

Maybe Pork will know.

I'm scratching my head on this one. It's March 1st, and this is all supposedly suddenly decided?

A tad bit early, wouldnt ya think?

Oliver

It is.  And it's not the first time he's said something like this.  I remember him saying on the Sports Animal on OKC radio during our 2-14 SEC season that he couldn't see anyway of Pelphrey surviving after the season was over.  BUT if what you say is true, the language does seem to be a bit different this time.