Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let me get this straight about Mitch

Started by Hog Bounty Hunter, December 12, 2005, 07:44:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Bounty Hunter

If Nutt had gotten rid of his buddy Markuson and kept Witke then Mitch would still be comittied, is that about right?  Also Nutt was not rode nearly as hard as he should of been during the season because he had " Mitch committed? Is that about right?  Gentlemen, we've been hood winked by the old used car salesman once again. Isn't there some kind of lemon law in Arkansas?

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

HatfieldHog

Yep,  I completely agree!

When we see Butch Davis ink a contract with someone else, a dark cloud will rest over this state, and we will have seen the largest mismanagment of any
issue ever handled by  state employees in Arkansas history.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Hog Bounty Hunter

Is Mitch trying to apply pressure to get rid of Markuson and get Witke back?  I had heard before that there was no way Frank would allow us to lose Mitch, that if would be to damaging to the program and that JL felt the same way.  I say we need to go ahead and get rid of the whole Murray State Mafia, keep Gus and Reggie and Reggie's GA and bring Butch in the straighten out this mess. Obvioulsy Mitch doesn;t care much for Nutt, for those who thought he was committed to Nutt I guess you were wrong.

hoggystyle78

Before all this is said and done, we will have been shucked and jived yet again by dale. You canbet he's already got an excuse in mind if we lose Mitch and you can count on it not being his fault, when in reality he is the one to blame, he's the one who has our program sinking right now. You wait and see, if we don't get MM it'll be alright with the huggers cause we got Gus. We may have Gus, but we still got a schittload of problems on this staff.

Feralhog

Had MM said something bashing the fans, many would have been cheering him on.   Wittke was the point man, representing the UofA in recruitment of Mitch. Mitch isn't the first player to bail from a school who fired the very coach involved in his recruitment. It's funny, everyone quoting Beck when she said Mitch's verbal is firm as long as things remain the same, were eager to throw that up when they were defending Nutt's job. Now that things have no longer remained the same, these same people who threw Beck's comments in our face, are the same ones ignoring her comments now!

According to MM, he would still be committed had Nutt made a different choice in staff firings. At one time we were told a nuclear option was in effect concerning one of the staffers in the middle of all this. You nailed it HBH.  HDN had people cutting him a ton of slack because of MM's verbal. Had we known up front, we'd lose MM and most of the S-5, I wonder how much heat Nutt would have felt?
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

THROWITDEEP

Rhyno_Hawg

What is the problem with Markuson?

Someone folks will bitch about anything. :puke:

The running game was the only bright spot this season, and it has been the best in the SEC over the last 5 years.

If you're tring to imply that he can't teach pass blocking, then you don't know what you are talking about.

The last two years we had Matt, we lead the SEC with the fewest Sacks in the Conference, while also leading the conference in rushing yards. I don't care if you have Mike Vick as you're QB, the line gets most all of the credit for that. Go ask Hog 50.

This year, our QB play was the major reason for the protection problems. I'll elaborate if needed.

HogISH™

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

JD Hogg

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on December 12, 2005, 07:44:27 am
If Nutt had gotten rid of his buddy Markuson and kept Witke then Mitch would still be comittied, is that about right? Also Nutt was not rode nearly as hard as he should of been during the season because he had " Mitch committed? Is that about right? Gentlemen, we've been hood winked by the old used car salesman once again. Isn't there some kind of lemon law in Arkansas?

Well, Witke wasn't part of the Murray State Mafia.  You guys know as well as I that if Broyles told him to get Gus and let somebody go, then it was going to be Witke.  Frank should have told him who to fire.  I'm telling you, there is going to be major staff dissension next year.  My guess is markuson won't be able to stand it that he doesn't have the OC's ear anymore.  I just hope Gus had his eyes wide open when he accepted this offer and knew what he was getting into.

RebelliousHog

QuoteThe running game was the only bright spot this season, and it has been the best in the SEC over the last 5 years.

If you're trying to imply that he can't teach pass blocking, then you don't know what you are talking about.

The last two years we had Matt, we lead the SEC with the fewest Sacks in the Conference, while also leading the conference in rushing yards. I don't care if you have Mike Vick as you're QB, the line gets most all of the credit for that. Go ask Hog 50.

This year, our QB play was the major reason for the protection problems. I'll elaborate if needed.

The running game works when you outnumber the D on the line. We tend to use the TE as blocker rather than a pass receiver. Add to that the FB blocking and never carrying the ball (one reason maybe PH doesn't want to play FB). Add to that running backs like DMac and FJ. Cobbs. Talley. Hiliis

MJ made things work with his legs. Think back to when he was injured. He was sacked quite often.

Granted that RoJo was not well prepared, there were still too many times that it was a Chinese fire drill with the D meeting at the QB.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Rhyno_Hawg

Quote from: HogISH on December 12, 2005, 09:39:26 am
elaborate rhyno hawg

HogISH

They held the ball too long, especially RJ.

Didn't recognize blitz packages. (Dick did a pretty good job, but he was only a freshman)

The passing philosophy probably didn't help matters much, I didn't see us run many slants this season.

Markuson did a great job with OL, and we had injury problems there all year.

Hawgon

Quote from: JD Hogg on December 12, 2005, 09:39:41 am
Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on December 12, 2005, 07:44:27 am
If Nutt had gotten rid of his buddy Markuson and kept Witke then Mitch would still be comittied, is that about right? Also Nutt was not rode nearly as hard as he should of been during the season because he had " Mitch committed? Is that about right? Gentlemen, we've been hood winked by the old used car salesman once again. Isn't there some kind of lemon law in Arkansas?

Well, Witke wasn't part of the Murray State Mafia. You guys know as well as I that if Broyles told him to get Gus and let somebody go, then it was going to be Witke. Frank should have told him who to fire. I'm telling you, there is going to be major staff dissension next year. My guess is markuson won't be able to stand it that he doesn't have the OC's ear anymore. I just hope Gus had his eyes wide open when he accepted this offer and knew what he was getting into.

That is exactly correct.  Nutt chose who to fire.  I would imagine that Frank simply told him that hiring Wittke as OC was not going to work.  He did not explicitly tell him to fire Wittke.

Now, if he had hired an OC and then the OC had fired everyone, then that is one thing.  But, HDN chose who to fire.

There is one thing everyone has overlooked with the hiring of Malzahn.  Malzahn is probably the only person around that would take the OC job and not demand complete autonomy in firing and hiring the offensive staff.  Hiring a high school coach, who albeit very talented and smart, was not truly qualified to be the OC gave Nutt just enough leverage to get to keep his buddies.  I imagine the talks went something like, "O.K. I'll hire Malzahn as OC and give him playcalling duties, but I get the final decision on hiring and firing."  No other O.C. from an established program would come under those conditions and everything else here.  Therefore, Nutt finally did come around back to Malzahn as the only way he could save his buddies.  Once again, Nutt chose his buddies over the program.

Rhyno_Hawg

Quote from: maintube on December 12, 2005, 09:47:25 am
QuoteThe running game was the only bright spot this season, and it has been the best in the SEC over the last 5 years.

If you're trying to imply that he can't teach pass blocking, then you don't know what you are talking about.

The running game works when you outnumber the D on the line. We tend to use the TE as blocker rather than a pass receiver. Add to that the FB blocking and never carrying the ball (one reason maybe PH doesn't want to play FB). Add to that running backs like DMac and FJ. Cobbs. Talley. Hiliis

MJ made things work with his legs. Think back to when he was injured. He was sacked quite often.

Granted that RoJo was not well prepared, there were still too many times that it was a Chinese fire drill with the D meeting at the QB.

Matt also held the ball entirely to long, no one will ever mistake him for Peyton Manning when it comes to reading defenses and getting rid of the ball on time.

That leads to sacks no matter who is blocking for you.

We still gave up the fewest sacks in the conference his last two years.

This year we ran the ball against 9 defenders most games, teams aren't supposed to do that. The only time our running game was shut down was vs Ole Miss and LSU.

The only thing you can knock Markuson for this season, was our short yardage problems. This has never been a problem before, we had always been great with shortyardage situations. I don't know what was going on this season.

3kgthog

Matt Jones is the only reason we haven't given up more sacks. Look at how many times he was running for his life during every single game.  Dick or Johnson would've been toast in 95% of those situations. To say Markuson has done a great job with pass protection is just plain retarded.

Rhyno_Hawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 12, 2005, 09:59:26 am
Matt Jones is the only reason we haven't given up more sacks. Look at how many times he was running for his life during every single game. Dick or Johnson would've been toast in 95% of those situations. To say Markuson has done a great job with pass protection is just plain retarded.

It that is true, then why have the Falcons gave up more sacks than 98% of the teams in the NFL this year?

hogsanity

because their line stinks, and because they have basically ordered Vick to stay in the pocket so as not to get beat up running the ball.  Vick wont throw it away though and still gets hit way to often for a NFL QB.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

benswinesmoney

Quote from: Rhyno_Hawg on December 12, 2005, 10:15:53 am
Matt Jones is the only reason we haven't given up more sacks. Look at how many times he was running for his life during every single game. Dick or Johnson would've been toast in 95% of those situations. To say Markuson has done a great job with pass protection is just plain retarded.

It that is true, then why have the Falcons gave up more sacks than 98% of the teams in the NFL this year?

Matt may have outrun a lot of sacks, but he also was not very good at throwing the ball away under pressure, so I think that balanced things out a bit.

e_dub

When did Matt ever have time to sit in the pocket and find a receiver?  When was the TE not blocking?  Answer: Not very [CENSORED] often.

PulledPork

Quote from: hogsanity on December 12, 2005, 10:20:02 am
because their line stinks, and because they have basically ordered Vick to stay in the pocket so as not to get beat up running the ball. Vick wont throw it away though and still gets hit way to often for a NFL QB.
not nearly as much as David Carr, now that o-line sucks!

PulledPork

RhyoFog,
Matt Jones was the one that kept Matt Jones from getting sacked.  He had "magic legs" and if you have at least 10 brain cells you would know that.  Make-shift (aka Markuson) o-line is at best "one dimensional".  They can't pass protect unless they are in "max protect" and sure your tb/hb will be successful eventually if you run it 65% of the time.

Just keep on defending the turd, and you will be served turd until he is gone!

hogsanity

Quote from: PulledPork on December 12, 2005, 10:27:53 am
Quote from: hogsanity on December 12, 2005, 10:20:02 am
because their line stinks, and because they have basically ordered Vick to stay in the pocket so as not to get beat up running the ball. Vick wont throw it away though and still gets hit way to often for a NFL QB.
not nearly as much as David Carr, now that o-line sucks!

Can you really consider what the Texans have to be a OLINe in the first place?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PiggoBitttys

I am completely done with Nutt and anyone on his staff. After what Barthel said about Wittke, and now Mitch, it's so freakin obvious we fired the wrong coach.

I can't believe Houston Nutt is going to get away with 8 years of mediocrity, 2 straight years of losing seaons, continually losing top in-state recruits, and now is going to lose 4 of the 5 top players 10 miles down the road from Fayetteville, including probably the greatest HS QB to ever come of this state. And people don't care.

I don't believe it. Freakin Colorado has higher standards than we do. It is pathetic. I hope all of our fans are happy when our program is in the dirt and no one cares about it...oh wait..too late.

Feralhog

Quote from: Rhyno_Hawg on December 12, 2005, 09:36:23 am
What is the problem with Markuson?

Someone folks will bitch about anything. :puke:

The running game was the only bright spot this season, and it has been the best in the SEC over the last 5 years.

If you're tring to imply that he can't teach pass blocking, then you don't know what you are talking about.

Since when did being named run game coordinator equate to the offensive line coach not teach pass blocking techniques? 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

dotnet

Quote from: PulledPork on December 12, 2005, 10:31:43 am
RhyoFog,
Matt Jones was the one that kept Matt Jones from getting sacked. He had "magic legs" and if you have at least 10 brain cells you would know that. Make-shift (aka Markuson) o-line is at best "one dimensional". They can't pass protect unless they are in "max protect" and sure your tb/hb will be successful eventually if you run it 65% of the time.

I agree with most everything you said, but the "sure your tb/hb will be successful eventually if you run it 65% of the time" is crazy.  What did the freshman average per rush this year?  I think it was around 7 yards per carry.  That isn't successful eventually, that is successful almost ever time.

Why is everyone up in arms about Wittke?  What was his job?  Wasn't his job to develop quarterbacks?  Did we watch the same quarterbacks this past season?  What did he do to warrant keeping his job?  I'm not defendning him, but atleast our oline could run block.  The quarterback who has been here for three years rarely completed a ten yard pass.  And I know that a ten yard deep pass play wasn't called often, but when it was called, did you see the pass?  It was thrown at the foot of the receiver more times than not.

PiggoBitttys

We have/had several guys on staff that DO NOT need to be there. Point is, none of them were going to bring in the nation's best QB. Yet we fired that guy.

Madgun

Quote from: ConwayHog on December 12, 2005, 10:19:00 am

The Falcons play in the NFL, Arkansas plays in college. Try again, next example.

Is there a difference?  If so, will our new OC be overmatched? 

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: Rhyno_Hawg on December 12, 2005, 09:49:25 am
elaborate rhyno hawg

HogISH

Didn't recognize blitz packages. (Dick did a pretty good job, but he was only a freshman)

The passing philosophy probably didn't help matters much, I didn't see us run many slants this season.

I take it you never played a down of football in your life?  The guy only knows how to teach run blocking. Even when we get to the goal line our guys don't know how to drive block.  They don't pass block, they're all a bunch of fat dudes. Our line is the worst in the SEC.  It's a wll known fact that Markuson needs to be let go, he is the one responsilbe for all these running plays of the last few years. 

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: Rhyno_Hawg on December 12, 2005, 09:55:38 am
Quote from: maintube on December 12, 2005, 09:47:25 am

Matt also held the ball entirely to long, no one will ever mistake him for Peyton Manning when it comes to reading defenses and getting rid of the ball on time.

That leads to sacks no matter who is blocking for you.

We still gave up the fewest sacks in the conference his last two years.

This year we ran the ball against 9 defenders most games, teams aren't supposed to do that. The only time our running game was shut down was vs Ole Miss and LSU.

The only thing you can knock Markuson for this season, was our short yardage problems. This has never been a problem before, we had always been great with shortyardage situations. I don't know what was going on this season.

Jesus dude you don't have a clue. Peyton Manning would of gotten sacked fifty times last year behind our line. Jones was running for his life as soon as he got the ball. Quit trying to rewrite history.

Rhyno_Hawg

RhyoFog,
Matt Jones was the one that kept Matt Jones from getting sacked. He had "magic legs" and if you have at least 10 brain cells you would know that. Make-shift (aka Markuson) o-line is at best "one dimensional". They can't pass protect unless they are in "max protect" and sure your tb/hb will be successful eventually if you run it 65% of the time.

I won't stoop to your level with the name calling.

If you don't like the results that our OL has produced, then maybe you would like to spin the fact that every team we played late in the year said we are the most physical teams they faced all year.

After the USC game, the OL held it's own against the best defenses in the country.

The reason we max protect so much is because the defenses usually brought at least three players on the blitz. They know we can't pass, so they aren't worried about getting burned when they blitz, so they brought the house. We had to have our RB/FB and TE help block on those downs. We had no choice.

A simple bumble screen, or a 3 yard slant would've made them second guess bringing the house on passing downs. For whatever reason, we never tried anything like that.

The comment about your RB/TB will have to be successfull if they carry the ball 65% of the time. That is brillant. I'm sure every real football coach, on any level will totally agree with you on that one.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: Rhyno_Hawg on December 12, 2005, 01:05:03 pm
RhyoFog,

I won't stoop to your level with the name calling.

If you don't like the results that our OL has produced, then maybe you would like to spin the fact that every team we played late in the year said we are the most physical teams they faced all year.

After the USC game, the OL held it's own against the best defenses in the country.

The reason we max protect so much is because the defenses usually brought at least three players on the blitz. They know we can't pass, so they aren't worried about getting burned when they blitz, so they brought the house. We had to have our RB/FB and TE help block on those downs. We had no choice.

A simple bumble screen, or a 3 yard slant would've made them second guess bringing the house on passing downs. For whatever reason, we never tried anything like that.

The comment about your RB/TB will have to be successfull if they carry the ball 65% of the time. That is brillant. I'm sure every real football coach, on any level will totally agree with you on that one.

I rest my case, this guy doesn't know anything about anyting. The blitz because they know we can't pass?  Give me a break.

Madgun

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on December 12, 2005, 01:01:59 pm
elaborate rhyno hawg

HogISH

I take it you never played a down of football in your life? The guy only knows how to teach run blocking. Even when we get to the goal line our guys don't know how to drive block. They don't pass block, they're all a bunch of fat dudes. Our line is the worst in the SEC. It's a wll known fact that Markuson needs to be let go, he is the one responsilbe for all these running plays of the last few years.

Not to argue HBH, because I know you are well-connected and know everything but:  our running game has been pretty solid hasn't it?  Is that something to "blame" him for? 

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: Madgun on December 12, 2005, 01:17:44 pm
elaborate rhyno hawg

HogISH

I take it you never played a down of football in your life? The guy only knows how to teach run blocking. Even when we get to the goal line our guys don't know how to drive block. They don't pass block, they're all a bunch of fat dudes. Our line is the worst in the SEC. It's a wll known fact that Markuson needs to be let go, he is the one responsilbe for all these running plays of the last few years.

Not to argue HBH, because I know you are well-connected and know everything but: our running game has been pretty solid hasn't it? Is that something to "blame" him for?

What has our record been?  9-13 over last two years?  We run the ball 70% of the time, you are going to gain a lot of yards against teams like Mo St.  I didn't see them do to well against good defenses.  These guys cannot pass block , they have not been able to ever since Nutt got here.

Swino

Any team that spends 75% of their O-lines practice time on run blocking is goining to be pretty good at running the ball.  Unfortuately, any team that spends 25% of their O-lines practice time on pass blocking isn't going to be very good. 

Madgun

Quote from: Swino on December 12, 2005, 01:51:36 pm
Any team that spends 75% of their O-lines practice time on run blocking is goining to be pretty good at running the ball. Unfortuately, any team that spends 25% of their O-lines practice time on pass blocking isn't going to be very good.

So, as they spend more time with it in coming years they will improve, right? 

whatsshakinbacon

A thought just occured to me - as we sit here and type about MM's future as a Razorback and potential NFL hall of famer, he's gotten books out of his locker and has gone from Algebra II to Social Studies.

One can hope he's doodling Razorbacks next period in PE.

Bacon out...

EastexHawg

We led the SEC in fewest sacks?  And that proves Markuson can teach pass blocking?

LOL.

1.  Matt Jones personally avoided sacks, not Markuson's pass blocking.  Any QB who didn't run a 4.37 forty and wasn't strong enough (6'6", 240) to run away from or pull away from pass rushers would have been MEAT behind those lines.

If you don't believe that, I guess you never watched Sorahan, TJack, or RoJo (Georgia, 2004) get pummelled behind those lines.  When Nutt used to say, "Defenses will have to prepare differently for Ryan", he was right...they had to practice extra hard on their SACK DANCES.

2.  How many pass attempts did the Hogs have the last four years compared to other SEC teams?  Do you think that might have anything to do with the number of sacks?  Do you think it's possible that a team that throws the ball 35-40 times per game may suffer more sacks than a team that throws it 15-20 times per game?

3.  If Markuson's offensive lines can pass block, why do you suppose it is the Hogs have run so many one and two receiver routes in recent years?  Why so much max protect?

The fact is Markuson has consistently relied on using seven or more to block in passing situations.  Even then, our QBs spend most of their time running for their lives.

I cannot believe someone would actually try to make the case that Markuson has demonstrated any ability to teach and coach effective pass blocking.

Rhyno_Hawg

elaborate rhyno hawg

HogISH

I think it's the other way around, bud.

I've played football, and I still play football.

" It's a wll known fact that Markuson needs to be let go, he is the one responsilbe for all these running plays of the last few years. " Damn, guess you're right. When you are top two in the SEC every year rushing the football, you should be fired.

Tell me another one.

The real Hogules

Last time I checked it was who scored the most points, NOT who had the most rushing yards!
Check PPG, or total offense, those are better indications of how an offense performed.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

SwinerBock

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 12, 2005, 02:02:33 pm
We led the SEC in fewest sacks?  And that proves Markuson can teach pass blocking?

LOL.

1.  Matt Jones personally avoided sacks, not Markuson's pass blocking.  Any QB who didn't run a 4.37 forty and wasn't strong enough (6'6", 240) to run away from or pull away from pass rushers would have been MEAT behind those lines.

If you don't believe that, I guess you never watched Sorahan, TJack, or RoJo (Georgia, 2004) get pummelled behind those lines.  When Nutt used to say, "Defenses will have to prepare differently for Ryan", he was right...they had to practice extra hard on their SACK DANCES.

2.  How many pass attempts did the Hogs have the last four years compared to other SEC teams?  Do you think that might have anything to do with the number of sacks?  Do you think it's possible that a team that throws the ball 35-40 times per game may suffer more sacks than a team that throws it 15-20 times per game?

3.  If Markuson's offensive lines can pass block, why do you suppose it is the Hogs have run so many one and two receiver routes in recent years?  Why so much max protect?

The fact is Markuson has consistently relied on using seven or more to block in passing situations.  Even then, our QBs spend most of their time running for their lives.

I cannot believe someone would actually try to make the case that Markuson has demonstrated any ability to teach and coach effective pass blocking.

Or maybe opposing defenses didn't blitz as much because they'd rather MJ try to beat them with his arm rather than his legs.

PulledPork

Quote from: Rhyno_Hawg on December 12, 2005, 06:06:38 pm
elaborate rhyno hawg

HogISH

I think it's the other way around, bud.

I've played football, and I still play football.

" It's a wll known fact that Markuson needs to be let go, he is the one responsilbe for all these running plays of the last few years. " Damn, guess you're right. When you are top two in the SEC every year rushing the football, you should be fired.

Tell me another one.

so, being top two in the league on rushing is enough for you, W/L records be darned!  RhynoFog, why don't you just convince those polls that W/L records are overrated, they need to be paying attention to our run output, I mean, WTH?  Are they crazy, or what?

You did not read me typing that the run "has to be successful", I said they would EVENTUALLY be successful!  And I have changed your name because of the fog you arre in with your idiotic thinking......