Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

whats with kids these days?

Started by astarXzone, December 12, 2005, 12:06:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

astarXzone

I remeber when I was in HS.  I was a very good athlete but I played at a small school with no recogintion.  If I had been recruited, whatever a coach told me would not have mattered.  I have just never cared for what the other person has to say with regards to my future in anything.  Its my life and I'll do what I want when I want and go where I want.  So to me, coaches calling and recruiting would have done nothing but annoy me and push me farther away.  So, I dont understand the recruiting process.  Most kids and their families are busy enough without having intrusions by outside people.  I think kids need to start thinking for themselves.  Lets face it.  IF MM went with his heart, where he really and truly wants to play football is at arkansas.  So why let anything or anyone stop you.  I dont understand it.  You can go anywhere in this world you want but if it is not truly where you want to be, you will be miserable and unhappy.  This leads to regret later in life.  So Mitch, just come on home brother

USCNOKLAHOMA

Actually, I think doing what you want to as a kid leads to regret. At least it did for me. I did exactly the opposite of what everyone told me and you know what it got me....courtroom appearances. Now I understand football is different and I really hope you guys get Mustain but sometimes your parents know what is best. Remember your parents telling you that one day you would understand...now I do. Don't worry about Mustain, I think you guys are a lock to get him no matter what anyone says. ND is going after Clausen next year, South Carolina has Smelley now, and Tenn. ...well if anyone can believe Phil then you're probably better off without him.

PulledPork

then you are a rare breed......usually anyone else would love the attention and to realize that so many opportunities are out there.  You honestly believe, that if ND offered to fly you to South Bend, wine and dine you, hook you up with the best looking girls and outrageous parties, you would have said.....not a chance!  Don't believe and you are fooling yourself to think otherwise.

Now multiply that scenario by 10 just for one year, included with all the top universities!  Not likely gonna happen with any of these kids.

Bomis Hawg

I think sometimes recruits get it that they want to please everyone.  That is an impossible task.  You have you mom and/or dad.  Some family members.  High School coaches.  Et al.

I agree, you have to do what is right for you.  If you want to be a Hog or a Sooner, do it.  You have one college football or basketball career, do what you want.

I hope that Mustain makes the decision that he will look at after he has played some in the NFL and can look back and say, "Yeah, I made the right decision."  If that is at Notre Dame, so be it.  If that is at Arkansas, I'll be wearing a Mustain jersey before it is all said and done.

astarXzone

Quote from: PulledPork on December 12, 2005, 12:12:13 am
then you are a rare breed......usually anyone else would love the attention and to realize that so many opportunities are out there. You honestly believe, that if ND offered to fly you to South Bend, wine and dine you, hook you up with the best looking girls and outrageous parties, you would have said.....not a chance! Don't believe and you are fooling yourself to think otherwise.

Now multiply that scenario by 10 just for one year, included with all the top universities! Not likely gonna happen with any of these kids.
Yes, I have what is called self control and have always been mentally strong for resisting what outsiders would attempt to make me believe.  If ND sent a plane for me, I'd wouldnt even show up at the airport.  I love Arkansas, no amout of trips or influence could ever change that.  People are so suseptable to other peoples ideas of what would be best for them when truthfully, we all know what is best for us, if we only listen to our minds and hearts.   I grew up on a farm where I worked hard each.  It taught me values and lessons about life that some people at the age of 40 or 50 have not learned.  On a farm , you work hard with little return.  It teaches you to appreciate the things you have, that you are never above anyone and they are not above you.  I always had all the girls I wanted right here in arkansas, why go to ND for them.  Let me give you a lesson here.  attention from others who do not really know you is deception.  They are using you for their gain, not yours.  Their best interest at heart, not yours.  Beer commercials do the same thing bro.  they show you the good times, the sexy girls , how cool you will be.  They dont show you the drunk in a jail cell, the drunk beating his wife and kids, the broken homes, the wasted paychecks for a life of misery.  No, they dont want you to see that side of it, why, because  you wouldnt buy.  This example applies to all situations in life.  Theres a good side and then theres the bad side or the consequence side.  The greatest thinkers in the world are those who think for themselves.  Those who let others (including parents) deserve whatever they get.  My take on the deal

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: astarXzone on December 12, 2005, 12:06:47 am
IF MM went with his heart, where he really and truly wants to play football is at arkansas.

You don't know that.
[CENSORED]!

astarXzone

thats what the guys said when he committed on tv to the hogs... so, did he lie to a statewide audience?

HogDodging

Did Mitch lie to the state of Arkansas when he committed?  No.  But, he probably also knew that if he said any other school, the media would have been relentless in hounding him.
His first goal was to win a state high school championship.  That was the most important thing for him and the team.  By saying Arkansas he was able to concentrate on that goal.
Now that he and his teammates won the championship, he is able to turn his attention to the future.
Who can actually blame him for reconsidering his committment?  Don't you think he can see Nutt and Markuson are in over their heads in the SEC?
He has a very bright and rich future ahead of him.  He needs to go where he thinks his talents would be best utilized.
If he chooses Tennessee or Notre Dame, so be it.
There's no need to harbor ill will toward him.
Instead, there needs to be more pressure put on the Razorback Foundation to get rid of Nutt.  That's where any anger needs to be directed.

RebelliousHog

QuoteYes, I have what is called self control and have always been mentally strong for resisting what outsiders would attempt to make me believe.  If ND sent a plane for me, I'd wouldnt even show up at the airport.

That's easy to say in hindsight. Hindsight is 20/20. Would you feel that way if you were 16,17,18 years old? Probably not. We as adults see things much clearer now than when we were teensagers.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

ejay286

The guy is making a decision about where he is going to play footrball and also where he will get an education, tradition wont get you a job and Notre Dame has just as much as Arkansas does.  Just because Mustain does not have a one track mind like you doesnt mean something is wrong with him.  You grew up on a farm and the Hogs were the main thing you were exposed to.  He grew up in fast growing NWA and knows that there are lots of opportunities for him not only in Arkansas but anywhere in the US.  He may have wanted to play for the Hogs but it might not have been a heartfelt connection like you had, there is nothing wrong with that.

HBTHogs

Exactly, let Mitch think for himself.  YOU stop telling where to go.  You say he should think for himself, and then say YOU know where his heart wants him to go.  Mitch IS  thinking for himself and that's exactly what people are having a problem with.

hogoh

Mitch Mustain expects to play football on Sunday.  Although we are getting way ahead of ourselves, I am sure MM hopes to develop into a QB that will be taken in the first round of the draft, if not the No. 1 pick overall.  By way of comparison, Alex Smith signed a 6-year deal worth $57 million, with $24 million guaranteed!

Instead of being led by his "heart," MM should make a cold, rational, well-informed decision about where to play college football that will maximize his development into an eventual professional.  Whether Arkansas is that place has been debated to death by others.  Suffice it to say, who can blame him for changing his mind about his commitment to Arkansas?  I doubt many people on this message board have made their decision about where to attend college with tens of millions of dollars hanging in the balance.

Madgun

Quote from: astarXzone on December 12, 2005, 12:06:47 am
   I have just never cared for what the other person has to say with regards to my future in anything. Its my life and I'll do what I want when I      want and go where I want. So to me, coaches calling and recruiting would have done nothing but annoy me and push me farther away. 

I think kids need to start thinking for themselves. Lets face it.

IF MM went with his heart, where he really and truly wants to play football is at arkansas. 

Young, adolescent kids thinking for themselves and only about themselves is not a new concept.  It leads to poor decisions on a daily basis.  Mitch should listen to experienced adults (parents/relatives) who have his best interests at heart--so that would probably exclude most of the coaches.

From your statement above, it sounds as if all kids/recruits should be all about themselves--"me, me, me, me....".  Isn't that what most recruiters cater to?  They'll tell you what you want to hear at all times.  Mitch needs adults to help him wade through all the bullcrap he's been fed over the course of the year(s). 

If coaches calling and recruiting you would have "pushed you away" are you implying that Mitch should pick a school that hasn't contacted him and let them know he's walking on?   :)