Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What would a Heisman do for Arkansas football?

Started by ArkansasI, December 11, 2005, 09:52:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasI

I have solution to the issues that we face about the direction of our program.  The University of Arkansas needs to do everything in its power to get a Heisman winner.  I am convinced that the status of our program would dramatically improve, to the point that we will be able to assemble a BCS team much quicker, with the added prestige and national attention that a Heisman candidate brings.

Darren McFadden looks like the perfect fit.  We only need our athletic department to promote Darren.  It is a shame how little that we have done for our high profile in the past.  He won't win it as a sophomore (probably goes to Adrian Peterson), but if we push Darren this year, he should have a legitimate shot to win it as a junior.

Anybody agree or disagree?  I am just curious.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: ArkansasI on December 11, 2005, 09:52:46 pm
I have solution to the issues that we face about the direction of our program.  The University of Arkansas needs to do everything in its power to get a Heisman winner.  I am convinced that the status of our program would dramatically improve, to the point that we will be able to assemble a BCS team much quicker, with the added prestige and national attention that a Heisman candidate brings.

Darren McFadden looks like the perfect fit.  We only need our athletic department to promote Darren.  It is a shame how little that we have done for our high profile in the past.  He won't win it as a sophomore (probably goes to Adrian Peterson), but if we push Darren this year, he should have a legitimate shot to win it as a junior.

Anybody agree or disagree?  I am just curious.
to have a winner u have to be on a winning team.

Biggus Piggus

I have solution to the issues that we face about the direction of our program. The University of Arkansas needs to do everything in its power to get a Heisman winner.

I think that's like saying Arkansas needs to do everything in its power to go undefeated.
[CENSORED]!

PulledPork

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on December 11, 2005, 09:55:32 pm
I have solution to the issues that we face about the direction of our program. The University of Arkansas needs to do everything in its power to get a Heisman winner. I am convinced that the status of our program would dramatically improve, to the point that we will be able to assemble a BCS team much quicker, with the added prestige and national attention that a Heisman candidate brings.

Darren McFadden looks like the perfect fit. We only need our athletic department to promote Darren. It is a shame how little that we have done for our high profile in the past. He won't win it as a sophomore (probably goes to Adrian Peterson), but if we push Darren this year, he should have a legitimate shot to win it as a junior.

Anybody agree or disagree? I am just curious.
to have a winner u have to be on a winning team.
yes, but only to a certain point.  Remember Andre Ware?  Houston was a winning team but not a world beater.  I don't know how much of a winner your team has to be to get top notch coverage, but anything is possible.....

Fire Numb Nutts!!!

Never happen as long as Numb Nutts and Family are involved in Razorback football.
Yeah, I told Ferret Mop, et al in 2005 that hiring Mal-a-za-wan was just smoke and mirrors from Dale to get Mustain and the others from Springdale to commit...and keep the stadium and the RF coffers full...but did they believe me? Hell no, I got banned. I told ya so.

If you contribute money to this fluster cluck, you are a sucker.

Michael Porkleone

i remember a little PR for cobbs before his junior year...injury was quick to say "no" to this....I agree that this would be unbelieveable for the HOGS.....but first let's concentrate on our first BCS game....realistic goals would bring one within 3 years...
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

ArkansasI

Does your team have to go undefeated?  Perhaps you are right.  However, it seems to me as though Texas has had a few Heisman winners without going undefeated.  Earl Campbell and Ricky Williams both lost games.

How well did that South Carolina team do with George Rodgers?  (I realize that this kind of defeats my argument about it having a great impact on the program.)

I guess I think that if Darren averaged over an entire season the same things that he accomplished during this year's games, he would be a legitimate candidate.  An invite to NYC would be good for us.  Perhaps Mustain, if he comes, could parlay Darren's success into an award for himself.

Perhaps I am guilty of wishful thinking. . .

ArkansasI

Somebody help me here. . . Did David Carr win the Heisman?  Maybe he just went first in the draft.  If he did win it, what was the record of his Fresno State team?

PulledPork

Quote from: ArkansasI on December 11, 2005, 10:09:51 pm
Somebody help me here. . . Did David Carr win the Heisman? Maybe he just went first in the draft. If he did win it, what was the record of his Fresno State team?
I think he placed 5th in the voting, but don't quote me on that.  Yes, he was considered, but I think with the Bulldogs being in the WAC, that hurt his chances more than anything.  Well, that and losing late in the season to some they should have beaten.

ArkansasI

RockyMtnHog

When we start winning on a weekly basis that means TV exposure.  A few years ago we were on TV like 9 games out of the season.  That's when players really start getting noticed and you can start the Heisman campaigns.  It is very difficult to win any awards without National or Regional exposure on a weekly basis.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Hog in MO

No matter how good McFadden is he won't get enough love for the Heisman unless we can win at least 10 games and get to a BCS bowl.  The Heisman has become like the MVP awards in the pros.  The best player on the best team always has an edge over someone on a mediocre or poor team, even if the player from the lesser team has better numbers.   

Hognob

McFadden will have to be the leading rusher in the nation, and Arkansas will have to win 10 or more games for him to have a realistic shot at the Heisman.

lumphog

idochog

To have a chance at a Heisman, means you have to be winning.  So if we had a legitimate candidate that would mean we would be winning 10 or 11 games.  I'll take that.

Besides until our recruiting improves, we arent gonna have enough talent surrounding any potential Hiesman candidate we might have on our team.
I love Jesus!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ArkansasI on December 11, 2005, 10:07:40 pm
Does your team have to go undefeated?

That was not my point.  Arkansas could wage a campaign to win somebody a Heisman, or it could pretend to strive for 15-0, both similarly farfetched and not useful as goals.
[CENSORED]!

PulledPork

Well, Barry Sanders won the Heisman in 1988 while playing for Okie St.  The only thing he had going for him was OUTSTANDING numbers (2600+yds).  Okie St. played in the Holiday Bowl that year, quite a ways from a "BCS" type bowl, of course the BCS was not in play then.......but still not a humdinger of a season by any means.

hawgfan_18

ya we need to get some serious W's before we think about a heisman.

astarXzone

Dont need a heisman to win a national title.  Most heisman winners are embarassed in the championship games