Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big Al Jefferson

Started by HogPhan, December 11, 2005, 09:05:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogPhan

went to the mavs game last night and got to see Big Al play.  Man, if that kid would have given us just a year.  He ended up with 21pts and 12 rebs. 

hogfan13

BUT HE HAD TO GO TO THE N-B-AAAAAAAAA

CiriusPorker

i have so little respect for players who go straight from h.s. to the NBA.  But I think it's mostly the NBA's fault for starting that trend many years ago.  Now there are always a ton of players who are "good enough" to go straight to the pros.  I think there should be an unspoken rule about attending college for 2 years before the NBA...

I've been saying that since before Al Jefferson snubbed us.  Since before Lebron James made that jump...I think it's ridiculous.

hogman64

See any other teenagers from Mississippi that will never contribute one thing to the state of arkansas?

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: CiriusPorker on December 11, 2005, 11:51:32 am
i have so little respect for players who go straight from h.s. to the NBA. But I think it's mostly the NBA's fault for starting that trend many years ago. Now there are always a ton of players who are "good enough" to go straight to the pros. I think there should be an unspoken rule about attending college for 2 years before the NBA...

I've been saying that since before Al Jefferson snubbed us. Since before Lebron James made that jump...I think it's ridiculous.

Hard to turn down millions of dollars. I know, I know, every kid should get a college education. Now, pardon me while I snicker at that. Those kids can make more in 2 years in the pros than they could in a lifetime with just a college education. I don't like the leaving early thing because it leaves the cupboard bare for college basketball, but I don't blame the kids for their decision at all...

Hawg414

Quote from: HogPhan on December 11, 2005, 09:05:23 am
went to the mavs game last night and got to see Big Al play. Man, if that kid would have given us just a year. He ended up with 21pts and 12 rebs.

true...last night he did.  but i check the box scores regularly... and it is normally more like 2 - 6 points.
granted, that may translate to 20 - 30 on the hill... just sayin'........ 

CiriusPorker

Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on December 11, 2005, 11:54:06 am
Quote from: CiriusPorker on December 11, 2005, 11:51:32 am
i have so little respect for players who go straight from h.s. to the NBA. But I think it's mostly the NBA's fault for starting that trend many years ago. Now there are always a ton of players who are "good enough" to go straight to the pros. I think there should be an unspoken rule about attending college for 2 years before the NBA...

I've been saying that since before Al Jefferson snubbed us. Since before Lebron James made that jump...I think it's ridiculous.

Hard to turn down millions of dollars. I know, I know, every kid should get a college education. Now, pardon me while I snicker at that. Those kids can make more in 2 years in the pros than they could in a lifetime with just a college education. I don't like the leaving early thing because it leaves the cupboard bare for college basketball, but I don't blame the kids for their decision at all...

I don't imply that I blame them. I would do the same if I were in their shoes.  But like I said, I think it's the NBA's fault for making this such a common occurence.  It used to happen every once in a while..Now it's 5-10 players a year.  Ridiculous, in my opinion.  It's such a marketing ploy, and it makes gods out of kids...

On the other hand, I hate it when we lose someone like that to the pros... ;)

neblon

Quote from: Hawg414 on December 11, 2005, 12:47:00 pm
Quote from: HogPhan on December 11, 2005, 09:05:23 am
went to the mavs game last night and got to see Big Al play. Man, if that kid would have given us just a year. He ended up with 21pts and 12 rebs.

true...last night he did. but i check the box scores regularly... and it is normally more like 2 - 6 points.
granted, that may translate to 20 - 30 on the hill... just sayin'........
I'll take the 6 pts/gm and the paycheck..but thats just me

Bomis Hawg

Big Al needed the year.

He didn't do much his first year.  I guess getting 15 points once every couple of weeks, same for getting 8-12 boards, worth it.

I think he still needed that one year.  But, he took the cash.  I wish him well.

Soooie21

A waste of recruiting time...

hog caller

i think i could live on $30,000 per week. i don't blame the kids but the Nba is the culprit for the almighty dollar.

Foshodo

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on December 11, 2005, 02:13:58 pm
Big Al needed the year.

He didn't do much his first year. I guess getting 15 points once every couple of weeks, same for getting 8-12 boards, worth it.

I think he still needed that one year. But, he took the cash. I wish him well.

he didnt need the year... when he got time his rookie season, he played very well... Celtics are pathetic when it comes to playing their young players... He's doing the same thing this year... when he's given time to play, he does very well...

as for the others who've said he's done nothing for the state of arkansas or he was a waste of recruiting time... i'm willing to bet a few of the players we have now came partially because Al committed to us... Just like other great players would come here for Mitch... players would have come here and at very least looked our way because we got a top commit in basketball...

hogtheball

College education? Are you serious? How many Razorback basketball players in the last 15 years have graduated from college?  How many haven't?  Maybe before people worry about guys going straight to the NBA without getting a college education, they should ask questions about their current players who aren't getting an education. Every player Nolan Richardson signed thought they were going NBA - and only a handfull ever did.  Only a handfull of the rest got a degree. 

Sorry, for the rant - kind of a touchy subject with me.  Most of the kids that go straight to the pros weren't going to graduate from college anyway. And several get degree after they're in the NBA.  Give 'em a break.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogman64

so who didnt come because  jefferson committed to us?  Sorry but I dont agree he was good for us, I dont think big time recruits decommitting is ever  good for a program, no mater how you want to spin it.......as for how he does in the pros , doesnt matter to me, in fact I woudlnt even sit down and watch Joe Johnson for a game , at least he did give us a couple of half hearted years...........but its mainly because i hate pro basketball, cant even stand to watch a play off game......

HogPhan

Quote from: hogman64 on December 12, 2005, 01:00:43 am
so who didnt come because jefferson committed to us? Sorry but I dont agree he was good for us, I dont think big time recruits decommitting is ever good for a program, no mater how you want to spin it.......as for how he does in the pros , doesnt matter to me, in fact I woudlnt even sit down and watch Joe Johnson for a game , at least he did give us a couple of half hearted years...........but its mainly because i hate pro basketball, cant even stand to watch a play off game......

from what i remember big al was upfront with Ark during his recruiting by saying that if he was a top pick then he was going pro. 

CiriusPorker

Quote from: hogtheball on December 12, 2005, 12:43:08 am
College education? Are you serious? How many Razorback basketball players in the last 15 years have graduated from college? How many haven't? Maybe before people worry about guys going straight to the NBA without getting a college education, they should ask questions about their current players who aren't getting an education. Every player Nolan Richardson signed thought they were going NBA - and only a handfull ever did. Only a handfull of the rest got a degree.

Sorry, for the rant - kind of a touchy subject with me. Most of the kids that go straight to the pros weren't going to graduate from college anyway. And several get degree after they're in the NBA. Give 'em a break.
I understand your position, BUT, I'm not criticizing the kids for a "lack of getting education" or making that decision.  IF i was in that same position, I would take the money, hands down.  I don't appreciate how the NBA makes it EASY for these kids to jump right to the pro's.  And THIS is a marketing ploy to put butts in seats (the nature of their business).  Instead of getting a proven player who's played the college ranks (regardless of whether they graduate or not) they take a h.s. player who only proved themselves against amateur competition...

Don't take it personally.  It's a sensitive topic to a lot of people who care.  I, for one, get worked up about it, because I see no reason why scoring 50 points a game in college should translate to an immediate ticket to the NBA...
but that's just my opinion.