Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I find it amusing those that think GM, a HIGH SCHOOL coach, will be a failure

Started by bison23, December 10, 2005, 11:52:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bison23

at the college level while at the same time thinking MM, a HIGH SCHOOL QB, will (or would have) come in next year and be the saviour of this program.  I've got a helluva lot more faith in GM being able to implement and run an offensive system than I do of an 18 year old greenie who played behind a D-1 line with D-1 receivers against a bunch of high schools stiffs being able to come in and be sucessful in the SEC.

brooks74

ballhog™

Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Bomis Hawg

Texas hired Dallas Carter's HC to be their RB coach.

Moved up to Tight Ends coach.  Now, he is their recruiting coordinator.  All in like 4 years.

I think Gus, if he is let, can a big success.  We shall see.

Bomis Hawg

Bruce Chambers.

Coached Ricky Williams; Cedric Benson at Tailback.  Has coached Bo Scaife; David Thomas at Tight Ends.  He's been there since 1998.

COACHING ASSIGNMENTS
2005-present: Recruiting Coordinator/Tight Ends, Texas
2003-04: Tight Ends, Texas
1998-2002: Running Backs, Texas
1996-97: Athletics Director/Head Coach, Dallas Carter (Texas) HS
1993-95: Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator, Dallas Carter (Texas) HS
1989-92: Defensive Coordinator, Dallas Carter (Texas) HS
1986-88: Junior Varsity Offensive Coordinator, Dallas Carter (Texas) HS
1984-85: Freshman Assistant Coach, Dallas Carter (Texas) HS

Bomis Hawg

Didn't Gary Faust go from HS coach to head coach of Notre Dame a few years ago?

ballhog™

Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Golfer

Quote from: ballhog on December 10, 2005, 02:05:13 pm
Yes he did.

And Emory Ballard went from a Texas High school to Texas to install the wishbone for Darrel Royal.  Wilson Matthews came to the U of A from Little Rock Central High School.

WhenPigsFly

Hard to worry about Malzahn failing as a college coach when we hired a HEAD COACH with a 4-7 D-1 record!

Bomis Hawg

HotRodHog

GM's offensive scheme is more sophisticated than Nutt's and many other D1 programs. The normal rub on a HS coach is the level of sophistication and understanding of the game he brings to the program. GM (books, videos, success, and scheme) will answer the questions.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something" Dick Butkus

UofA Alumnus

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: HotRodHog on December 11, 2005, 08:43:51 pm
GM's offensive scheme is more sophisticated than Nutt's and many other D1 programs. The normal rub on a HS coach is the level of sophistication and understanding of the game he brings to the program. GM (books, videos, success, and scheme) will answer the questions.

This is what the people laughing at us hiring a HS coach as OC seem to forget.  It's not like we weren't already being laughed at for our simplistic offense.   Malzahn will add much more sophistication than we've had in the past.

The laughable thing is that a HS coach coming in is what is going to add sophistication, regardless of his abilities.

HotRodHog

Your right on target, I really like GM, but many of the SEC teams are behind the curve when it comes to Offensive schemes. While the PAC 10 might be suspect on defense, they more than make up for it on the O side. I got to see Oregon and UCLA play this year, and they can run, slip-screen,aand go vertical on you like no ones business. If GM, who is in the same mold, gets the O rolling and RH gets the D in shape, we razorback fans will be in high-cotton. ;)
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something" Dick Butkus

UofA Alumnus