Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Donovan, Grant, Pelphrey share common bond in tragedy

Started by evenflow_ar, January 12, 2011, 10:35:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UAfan

Unbelievable article.  I know some or most on here don't approve of the coach but you have to admire the man.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Smithian

Tim Harris

Quote from: UAfan on January 12, 2011, 10:42:10 am
Unbelievable article.  I know some or most on here don't approve of the coach but you have to admire the man.

Absolutely.  It makes it tough to not like the guy after reading that.

thirtythree

great story. it is unbelievable how that has happened to the three of them. They do have the right mind set though. God does have a plan and does no wrong. He knows what is best for everyone and everything. Just have to have faith.

TY for that read.

jbell96

Quote from: Smithian on January 12, 2011, 11:00:21 am
I actually teared up reading that.

What got me was when the woman spoke with Donavan saying that she believed that God thought her child was so precious that he wanted it in heaven and felt the same way for his child.

Hogz87

People wonder why some of us can still approve of Pelphrey as the coach but were so quick to turn on Nutt when he was here.  I guess for me it was always something about coach Pelphrey that lead me to think he was a great person.  He seems to have a lot of character and integrity, and comes off as being real genuine.  Something I never felt coming from Nutt. 

This article only confirms those feelings about Pelphrey.  Despite whether or not you approve of him as the coach, it's hard to read something like this, and not like him as a person.

farmhawg

Thanks for the link. Donovan seems like a good guy and we have always thought that of pel. No matter what we think of his coaching, I have always like pel and tracy.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

razorpride89

Very humbling story. The 3 families seem so strong in their faith and I think they have to be to get through something like that. The story is a blessing in itself

HoopS

PorkerOinker

This was an amazing article and really kind of hit home for me as my wife suffered a miscarriage about a month before Christmas this past year, I know a lot of people lose family, but when you lose a child like they did or through miscarriage like my wife and I did that is a kind of hurt that I would hope no one ever had to go through again.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

TomasPistola

These are the types of things that really irritates me when some on this board treat Pelphrey like Nutt. This isn't a bad man like Nutt is. Opinions on his coaching are fine, but it seems like every year we learn something new about our basketball coach that proves the value of his character is unquestionable.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

fred ziffel

Folks that is real life. Our fascination/obsession with sports must also be tempered with the human conditon, compassion and loving those around us. Kinda puts a different pespective on things....or should. Been through a bit of that myself this year unfortunately with my wife's battle with cancer.

I didn't know about "Pel's Pals" either:

http://www.pelspals.org/

"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

Mr. Cooper

Yeah, all the haters should probably drop the "Pel's Pals" name-calling stuff..

What an amazing article. I literally read every word; something that I hardly do on Hogville.

Thanks for sharing.
Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 21, 2011, 12:24:57 am
oh good...a poster with the word MILF in his avatar,  quoting scripture.
Quote from: ke2743 on March 07, 2011, 11:54:00 pm
Ok then, I'm going to need a vet, a priest, some rubber gloves and 3 gallons of boones farm.  Let's get this party started.

"Those who criticize our generation forget who raised it."

Smithian

Quote from: TomasPistola on January 12, 2011, 04:10:57 pm
These are the types of things that really irritates me when some on this board treat Pelphrey like Nutt. This isn't a bad man like Nutt is. Opinions on his coaching are fine, but it seems like every year we learn something new about our basketball coach that proves the value of his character is unquestionable.
Seriously.

I don't care about people insulting Pelphrey the basketball coach, but it drives me crazy when people are calling him an "SOB" for no reason, using "Pel's Pals" as an insult, insinuating he is on drugs like they did last year, etc.

I get furious when people compare him to Houston Nutt as a human being. There is absolutely no comparison between Hootie Dale the Wonder Weasel and John Pelphrey at a personal level. Coaching? Maybe. But not their personal lives.

Above all, anyone who would make this has to be a good person on some level;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1yVhg5RrVE

HogFan1973

That is a good read....I noticed it today on Yahoo.

TheTick077

Great read, was about to post it myself, but decided to search first (good thing I did). It really puts into perspective everything. I don't care what you think about his coaching, I think we can all agree he is a good man.
"Lordy, gents! Your banter is immaculate and a pleasure to witness!
--The Tick

Inhogswetrust

I really like Pel as a person. Everybody says he is a great guy with a great family. But good people don't always belong in the job they have. This story has been around a long time also. Sorry to sound like a hardnose but it seems like everytime Pel starts to lose more fans then this story pops up again. That being said I completely agree personal attacks are not appropriate.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hillhog

I have nothing against Pel the person, I respect him and without having ever met him expect he is a good person. I have just slowly changed my mind about if he can do the job.

revolution

I believed Pel was a good hire.  I have wanted him to succeed.

I believe he is probably a good person.

I believe he is a terrible coach.

I hope Pel has a great life, but I also hope it's not as the basketball coach at the UA.

Smithian

Quote from: revolution on January 13, 2011, 10:03:37 am
I believed Pel was a good hire.  I have wanted him to succeed.

I believe he is probably a good person.

I believe he is a terrible coach.

I hope Pel has a great life, but I also hope it's not as the basketball coach at the UA.
We have literally a thousand other threads to discuss that in. Let's please not let this one turn into a crap throwing match.

hogfan56

Not football related, but it is a story about Pel that I never knew.  Didn't figure this would go over to well in Jump Ball...its a little crazy in there right now. 

Does make you remember just how fragile life is. 

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201101/billy-donovans-secret-sorrow#

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogfan56 on January 13, 2011, 11:30:12 am
Not football related, but it is a story about Pel that I never knew.  Didn't figure this would go over to well in Jump Ball...its a little crazy in there right now. 

Maybe you didn't see this posted in MMQB is because this is about basketball. Is it that hard to figure out? Most of us do not like going over to Jump Ball, so when you guys post about Pel it drags that crap over to here.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

tobs54

Quote from: locusbug on January 13, 2011, 12:18:56 pm
Maybe you didn't see this posted in MMQB is because this is about basketball. Is it that hard to figure out? Most of us do not like going over to Jump Ball, so when you guys post about Pel it drags that crap over to here.

you didn't read it, did you? 

Piglit

mhuff

"It's a matter of being thankful for what you have..... not what you don't have." This is from my daughter-in-law who lost two of her chidren at childbirth. My grandson, Michael, is a real dandy...a real blessing.

Inhogswetrust

January 13, 2011, 03:00:45 pm #28 Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:17:22 pm by Inhogswetrust
?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogfan56 on January 13, 2011, 11:30:12 am

It should be crazy in there. This story is old and well known but is an inspirational one. It has already been posted in Jumpball. The same story has been posted before a long time ago.

GAHOG

This was a story by a Yahoo Sports writer. Whether you are a Pelphrey person or not, you have to feel for him as well as Donovan and Grant and the relationship these guys still hold.

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201101/billy-donovans-secret-sorrow

The_Boot_stops_here

im not aware of many people who dislike john pelphrey the man...that is certainly not the issue...this is really a interesting story and there is no way you can read this and not feel for them

vandybuff

In the very, very little I know of Billy Donovan, he seems a very decent person.  We often have good games, we often lose, and he is a respectful of our school, program and team.  It is a pleasure to play him.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

fred ziffel

"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

Inhogswetrust

Interesting how this story keeps coming back again and again.

GAHOG

Quote from: Kato on January 14, 2011, 07:14:02 pm
Almost as sad as the first 3 times it was posted here.

Sorry, did a quick search and didn't see it anywhere and obviously missed it.

Delete this

Smithian

Bump for today's opponent.

I hated Billy Donovan back when he had Noah and those guys, but I've grown to like him. Good guy.

Lando Calrissian

Why would you hate Billy D to begin with?  Just because he's a good coach?
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Smithian

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 22, 2011, 03:21:33 pm
Why would you hate Billy D to begin with?  Just because he's a good coach?
Probably something to do with them kicking our butts..... I was younger back then and getting our butts kicked was a reason to despise somebody.

Luckily a few years older I now can respect someone even if they are beating us.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Smithian on January 22, 2011, 03:24:11 pm
Probably something to do with them kicking our butts..... I was younger back then and getting our butts kicked was a reason to despise somebody.

Luckily a few years older I now can respect someone even if they are beating us.

Those teams (Noah & crew) reminded me a lot of Nolan's best teams.  Billy D did it right.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: Smithian on January 22, 2011, 03:24:11 pm

No wonder you like Pelphrey so much  ;)