Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What was our band doing at the Sugar Bowl?

Started by razorback121, January 06, 2011, 12:26:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorback121

It was obvious that our band came to watch the game, where as the Ohio State band came to work.  One of the annoying things about that game was if the ball was not in play, their band was playing, cheering, chanting, and getting fans involved in the game, while ours sat there for most of the game watching. 

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Oklahawg

Apparently, we got schooled by one of the grand old bands of college football.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Tripod1

How about a reward for many hours of practicing and working during the hot part of summer and fall?  Maybe they did not meet your approval but kuddos to any kid that learns music and works hard enough to get the opportunity to play for a program like the U of A.

losthawg68

Re:  I just came into some money...
Quote from: cosmodrum on April 01, 2011, 01:34:40 pm
Why money...didn't have a sock or tissue handy?

Quote from: Slacker on August 14, 2012, 10:57:10 pm
God Damn you Lost....

BorderPatrol

Quote from: razorback121 on January 06, 2011, 12:26:29 pm
It was obvious that our band came to watch the game, where as the Ohio State band came to work.  One of the annoying things about that game was if the ball was not in play, their band was playing, cheering, chanting, and getting fans involved in the game, while ours sat there for most of the game watching. 

Really? You left the Sugar Bowl concerned about the band?

bp

The Original 69

OSU band was great. Script Ohio is cool to see. Are band did block letters ok. :-)

Craig O Squeal

Geez...were their cheerleaders hotter too? Is that a reflection of our inability to recruit attractive cheerleaders? Should some of those cheerleaders come out early, or should they stay for the full 4 years? Were the instruments in OSU's band shinier? Do you walk to school or carry your lunch? Dear God, is it time for Spring Ball yet?

budcampbellfan

Quote from: Tripod1 on January 06, 2011, 12:30:35 pm
How about a reward for many hours of practicing and working during the hot part of summer and fall?  Maybe they did not meet your approval but kuddos to any kid that learns music and works hard enough to get the opportunity to play for a program like the U of A.
It's not the kids.  The heads of the music department were expecting loud rap music from the pa system to take up the slack like we do it here. 
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

EastTexasHog

Quote from: budcampbellfan on January 06, 2011, 12:38:27 pm
It's not the kids.  The heads of the music department were expecting loud rap music from the pa system to take up the slack like we do it here. 

Band director should've made the halftime adjustment.....just kidding....i wasnt there but I support our band 100%.

razorback121

Rip me all you want, but did you go to the game?  I took off work for three days, drove 10 hours one way, and spent hundreds of dollars to actually cheer for the razorbacks, not just to sit there and watch.

I would be upset with any Razorback fan that was there not cheering, but especially ones that has an all expense paid trip.

JEM

Quote from: losthawg68 on January 06, 2011, 12:32:28 pm
The best thread in a football forum EVER!

Right-On, let me give a shout to all those ex-tuba players out there!!

etommytay

Quote from: Craig O Squeal on January 06, 2011, 12:34:20 pm
Geez...were their cheerleaders hotter too? Is that a reflection of our inability to recruit attractive cheerleaders? Should some of those cheerleaders come out early, or should they stay for the full 4 years? Were the instruments in OSU's band shinier? Do you walk to school or carry your lunch? Dear God, is it time for Spring Ball yet?
Their cheerleaders were pretty cute. I don't think ours got any airtime...

I do think this directly affected the outcome of the game.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: razorback121 on January 06, 2011, 12:26:29 pm

Where were you sitting? Could have a lot to do with it, since I thought exactly the opposite....I only heard the OSU band a couple of times, but heard ours a LOT....

bp

The_Iceman

As a former band person, our band is a joke. They have no pride in their marching.

losthawg68

Rumor has it that HDN was sending out mass texts to every member of our band throughout the game to sabotage our chances of winning, because he knows how vital the band is in winning the game. He still feels like he should be directing our band and is pretty upset that he isn't.

God Damn you Lost....

losthawg68

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 06, 2011, 12:46:30 pm
As a former band person, our band is a joke. They have no pride in their marching.

Send them to Ft. Benning, they'll straighten that right out.

God Damn you Lost....

ppdmike

I thought the same thing, especially in pre-game. Every time we would start a chant, their band would start playing.  I never thought I could put the word "aggressive" anywhere near the word "band", but OSU had an aggressive band who spanked ours! 
"Credit should go with the performance of duty, and not with what is very often the accident of glory." -T.Roosevelt

losthawg68

God Damn you Lost....

Simple Swineman

Quote from: BorderPatrol on January 06, 2011, 12:46:05 pm
Where were you sitting? Could have a lot to do with it, since I thought exactly the opposite....I only heard the OSU band a couple of times, but heard ours a LOT....

bp

That's what I thought too. I was sitting just a couple of sections away from our band and I thought they played alot. I hardly ever recall even hearing the Ohio State band while in the stands. Depends on your seat.

However, I thought it was comical how any time our band came on or off the field they were running around like chickens with their heads cut off, while the Ohio State band was in perfect formation at all times. Even while sitting on the sidelines.

countryhog

Quote from: razorback121 on January 06, 2011, 12:41:58 pm
...drove 10 hours one way...
just curious. are you still there? if not, how long did it take to drive back. sorry, couldn't help myself. GHG
now is never here but the past is always present

losthawg68

God Damn you Lost....

TDIABS

losthawg68

God Damn you Lost....

leftymgp

It seems like their band was always playing during our huddle and when we were trying to snap to ball.  They would play crap until there was like 10 secs left on the snap count.  I thought it wasn't really okay to do that.  And also why wasn't our band doing it back to them?

Agent of Chaos

Quote from: JEM on January 06, 2011, 12:42:42 pm

HOLLA
You know the thing about Chaos.....it's fair.

http://halftimehennessy.com/

twistitup

Smithian

I personally thought they did really well. The end of the third quarter was awesome. Being a student I'm used to the front half of the student section doing William Tell. Sugar Bowl? Forget the student section. The entire lower level it seemed was doing it. Did "Z" both times to get the crowd pumped up. Was loud. Lots of "NFL Today" as well as well as even a couple times playing "Shout it Out". I thought the band did a really good job the whole game. The LSU fans I was with agreed their band looked better and had better marching, but they said our band was doing much better pumping the crowd up.

Their band looked better and had better marching, but I think our band has better songs. Ohio State played the same songs over and over. The only song they really had to fire the crowd up was that version of "Seven Nation Army".

And whoever thinks they out did us, I have no idea by what standard you judge that idea. The whole pregame every song they played or chant they tried to start, Arkansas fans either booed them down or called the Hogs. Their own team came onto the field to boos. If you mean during the game, what could our band do the first half? We were getting smoked. Second half? For most of the second half you saw sh-t running down the leg of every Buckeye fan in attendance and even that ghey "Seven Nation Army" was played a couple times to relative silence from their fans.

This wasn't like the utter humiliation of the Capital One Bowl. I was extremely proud. Our fans took the stadium over. There were a lot of nuetral fans around me and they all agreed it was almost like a home game for the Hogs.

Tripod1

Quote from: razorback121 on January 06, 2011, 12:41:58 pm
Rip me all you want, but did you go to the game?  I took off work for three days, drove 10 hours one way, and spent hundreds of dollars to actually cheer for the razorbacks, not just to sit there and watch.

I would be upset with any Razorback fan that was there not cheering, but especially ones that has an all expense paid trip.
I drove 9 hours took off work 5 days, spent hundreds of dollars as well and had to stand the entire game due to all the idiots around me standing.  Tried talking to my wife several times but couldn't because everyone was cheering too loud for my taste!!  Come on man, regardless of what sacrifice you made it does not give you the right to tell others how to enjoy their game experience.  BTW, I was not there!!!

scootman

I don't know about anyone else but during the second half the Hog Wild Band was the only one I heard at all. I thought they sounded great, IMO.
A new era in Razorback Football has arrived!

losthawg68

Quote from: twistitup on January 06, 2011, 01:11:28 pm
Our band should all just play vuvuzelas.

Best idea ever.  Miss St's band plays the cowbells, ours should play the... well what you said.

God Damn you Lost....

Smithian

Quote from: leftymgp on January 06, 2011, 01:09:09 pm
It seems like their band was always playing during our huddle and when we were trying to snap to ball.  They would play crap until there was like 10 secs left on the snap count.  I thought it wasn't really okay to do that.  And also why wasn't our band doing it back to them?
I will say that made me mad. I could have sworn in college a flag would be thrown when their band was playing as our offense was up at the line trying to make calls.  Our band should have been playing "William Tell" non-stop in return during their no huddle offense.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Simple Swineman on January 06, 2011, 01:01:50 pm

However, I thought it was comical how any time our band came on or off the field they were running around like chickens with their heads cut off, while the Ohio State band was in perfect formation at all times. Even while sitting on the sidelines.

Scrambling on and off of the field is a "tradition" of the RMB.  That and amoeba formations.

Hogman2

Quote from: losthawg68 on January 06, 2011, 12:46:49 pm
Rumor has it that HDN was sending out mass texts to every member of our band throughout the game to sabotage our chances of winning, because he knows how vital the band is in winning the game. He still feels like he should be directing our band and is pretty upset that he isn't.
Are you sure that wasn't Danny?

losthawg68

God Damn you Lost....

scootman

Quote from: PorkPariah on January 06, 2011, 01:16:12 pm
Scrambling on and off of the field is a "tradition" of the RMB.  That and amoeba formations.

People that don't know will never get it.
A new era in Razorback Football has arrived!

Wild Bill Hog

What all did Finebaum and the ESPiN talking heads say about our band?

BVPorker

Shorty Hog

I was sitting in tOSU section, so I could hear their band better. While their marching was extremely impressive (probably best I've ever seen), I think our band has better song selection/variety and participates in getting the crowd excited better.

One thing I will say is tOSU fans take their band seriously.  They stood up the entire time their band performed. I'm not just talking about their fight song or the Ohio script. This was during their musical/marching performance. I've never seen another group of fans stand during their band's halftime performance...although technically this was pregame at the Sugar Bowl.

Smithian

Again, all I know is the second half the Superdome was an absolute madhouse, our band was loud, the fans were crazy, everything. The end of the 3rd with Double "Z", William Tell, and the overall crowd noise all going on in the middle of a huge comeback was the moment I told myself, "Wow. The Arkansas Razorback have finally made it big as a program." We were every bit Ohio State's equal on and off the field.

I have the memory of being outclassed by Wisconsin in the Cap One Bowl very fresh in my mind. Thankfully, the times have changed.

hoglady

Our band has regressed since the departure of Jim Robken.

It's been a hollow shell of it's former self ever since he left / it's been many years, but everytime I see our band I think of him and how great they used to be.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TrojanHog

Our crowd didn't need the band to stay loud during the game. And you're really upset we couldn't compete with the moronic zombie march over and over and over and over and over... That's the only thing I ever noticed from their band during the game. In fact that and the occassionally O-H---I-O was the only thing their fans did on Bourbon as well. Of course we're pretty well stuck with the Hog Call and sure as heck wouldn't trade.

twistitup

Quote from: hoglady on January 06, 2011, 01:29:10 pm
Our band has regressed since the departure of Jim Robken.

It's been a hollow shell of it's former self ever since he left / it's been many years, but everytime I see our band I think of him and how great they used to be.

Who? Jim Baker.....let's play football - Band? C'mon, win first - band talk comes later

brutusisanut

Quote from: Shorty Hog on January 06, 2011, 01:25:05 pm...One thing I will say is tOSU fans take their band seriously...

No joke...maybe too seriously. You could probably get more Buckeyes in fights bashing the band than if you knocked anyone on the football team or talked smack about the university.

TDIABS

Quote from: brutusisanut on January 06, 2011, 01:35:40 pm
No joke...maybe too seriously. You could probably get more Buckeyes in fights bashing the band than if you knocked anyone on the football team or talked smack about the university.

I agree.

I saw on a Buckeye board that Hog fans booed the OSU band while they were playing.  To me that's more upsetting than anything else I have read when it comes to fan behavior.

twistitup

Quote from: brutusisanut on January 06, 2011, 01:35:40 pm

They win big games....when a program does that, fans minds starts focusing on other aspects of the game experience. eg. - the band quality

Craig O Squeal

Quote from: etommytay on January 06, 2011, 12:43:16 pm
Their cheerleaders were pretty cute. I don't think ours got any airtime...

I do think this directly affected the outcome of the game.
The game was ESPN, if they did not show our cheerleaders, well this further confirms the conspiracy...

rljjr

Quote from: JEM on January 06, 2011, 12:42:42 pm

I would be one of those!

Hogs07

Quote from: Simple Swineman on January 06, 2011, 01:01:50 pm
That's what I thought too. I was sitting just a couple of sections away from our band and I thought they played alot. I hardly ever recall even hearing the Ohio State band while in the stands. Depends on your seat.

It was because our band has about 125 more people than they did and we were asked by the people in charge to do that so we could get on and off quicker.  Any other questions?

Jimmy

I sat in the upper-most deck, in the corner and could not even see the band or cheerleaders.  That may explain why I did not hear the band playing from the stands.  I thought their marching was better than what I regularly see in Fayetteville, though the OSU band is much better on that count. 

I could hear the OSU band in the stands because I was across the field from them, but their list of songs seemed to be VERY, VERY limited and their overuse of that moronic zombic like song/chant between plays was worse than "Rocky Top" ever was. 

Neither band did anything to rival the loudness and intensity of the HOG fans.  As said previously, we couldn't even see the cheerleaders/band, yet it made no difference.......we did not NEED cheerleaders, or a band.