Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin's Story and Frank's "recommendations" - I don't get it.

Started by Since 1894, December 09, 2005, 10:25:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Since 1894

I think by now, most have heard Mr. Irwin's story about Coach Nutt's change in play calling after the 2000 season.  Basically (what I think Mike said is), Mike was part of a conversation when one of "Frank's Recommendations" to HDN was discussed.  The recommendation was to run an offense to fit your personnel (more conservative / run oriented vs a more wide open / pass oriented), control the clock and keep the game close going into the 4th quarter.

However, reports suggest that Frank wanted Coach Ford to hire Norm Chow (then at BYU, running a wide open offense) and I can only assume that he is happy with hiring Gus who (I guess) is going to bring in his spread offense.

It seems to me that these recommendations represent two completely different philosophies.  Can anyone help me to understand what I am missing?

Thanks
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

GorillaJMonsoon

I think Mr. Irwin also said that the style of play was also dictated by the type of QB that was on campus.  Stoerner type=more passing.  Robert Johnson type=more emphasis on running w/bare bones passing game.  Thats what I seem to remember about his comment.

CiriusPorker

I don't know, but I can tell you that Frank personally loves the passing game, but you probably already know that.

hogsanity

CHow, like all GREAT oc's tailors the Offense to his talent.  If Norm Suddenly had the second coming of Barry Sanders fall into his lap, he would suddenly bo so in love with thrun that it would make your head spin. 

Frank has a great Fb mind, and he could see that in the SEC, unless you have OUTSTANDING QB and WR's that the best course of action is smashmouth eat the clock keep it close and win it late Fb is the best chance you have.  Look at Bama this year.  They won 2 SEC games WITHOUT an offensive TD. 

Everyone ASSUMES that the Hogs are going to be 4 and 5 wide all the time next year.  THose people are going to be very disappointed.  I bet we still run the ball 30+ times a game.  We will have a vertical passing game, but it isnt going to be the snap and chuck everyone thinks. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Macgyver_Hawg

Frank is saying be conservative when you don't have the talent to run a particular offense.  Frank doesn't expect you to never have the talent to be able to open it up.  Frank new Nutt wasn't going to have the talent in 2000 that he had in 1998 so there was no need throwing it all over the field and losing a game when you might have had a chance keeping the game close and pulling out a win.

I believe we've gotten in the habit of not being able to open it up.

Hawgon

I personally think Frank meant for him to stop doing stupid things like going for it on 4th and 5 like he did during the MSU game in 98.  Remember he used to be a gambler and take stupid chances, the kind of chances that get you beat.  Nuttsack went completely the other way as his bunghole puckered and now is afraid to do anything that has the possibility of a negative outcome.  No inside information, but that is just what I think.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on December 09, 2005, 10:28:29 am
I think Mr. Irwin also said that the style of play was also dictated by the type of QB that was on campus.  Stoerner type=more passing.  Robert Johnson type=more emphasis on running w/bare bones passing game.  Thats what I seem to remember about his comment.

This is correct.  As the story goes, Frank suggested that Nutt keep it close until the 4th quarter when you don't have a Stoerner.

Quote from: hogsanity on December 09, 2005, 10:31:01 am
CHow, like all GREAT oc's tailors the Offense to his talent. If Norm Suddenly had the second coming of Barry Sanders fall into his lap, he would suddenly bo so in love with thrun that it would make your head spin.

Frank has a great Fb mind, and he could see that in the SEC, unless you have OUTSTANDING QB and WR's that the best course of action is smashmouth eat the clock keep it close and win it late Fb is the best chance you have. Look at Bama this year. They won 2 SEC games WITHOUT an offensive TD.

Everyone ASSUMES that the Hogs are going to be 4 and 5 wide all the time next year. THose people are going to be very disappointed. I bet we still run the ball 30+ times a game. We will have a vertical passing game, but it isnt going to be the snap and chuck everyone thinks.

First off, I don't think you're right about Chow: he has a system and it is not a smashmouth system.

As for the 4-5 wide, I don't believe that.  I think Gus will bring BALANCE.  "Balance" is all I want.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hawgon on December 09, 2005, 10:33:05 am
I personally think Frank meant for him to stop doing stupid things like going for it on 4th and 5 like he did during the MSU game in 98. Remember he used to be a gambler and take stupid chances, the kind of chances that get you beat. Nuttsack went completely the other way as his bunghole puckered and now is afraid to do anything that has the possibility of a negative outcome. No inside information, but that is just what I think.

USED to be? What was that on fourth-and-1 at his 29 against South Carolina?

How bout he get a real field goal kicker so we're not going for it on fourth down inside the 30 cause he can't kick a 44-yard field goal. There were enough chances in the South Carolina game to win it that way
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson