Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For those that have seen Malzahn's offense

Started by GO, December 08, 2005, 10:40:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GO

Living way down south here, I haven't had a chance to see this spread offense that he likes to run. My question is for those that have actually seen it. Is this going be a gimmick offense like Texas Tech runs that will allow you to beat the crap of small schools but still have little chance against the major powers with more talent, but provides a fun brand of football while remaining a mediocre team? Or do you truly feel his offense will work and can be successful against teams like LSU, Bama, Florida etc year end year out and return us to be respectable at least?

GO

Joe-T

It's a [CENSORED] JOKE to hire a H.S. coach as OC  !!!!! Laugh all you want but I run my own Company and I'ld NEVER do what the U of A just did.. Welcome to the SEC where they slit your neck and drink your BLOOD !!! Kines !!!!

Kinghog1

I've talked to alot of LSU fans here in the last week or so and I here they are saying they are scared to death of the hogs next year because of the way we played them this year.......They said that Arkansas was the hardest hitting team they played against all year..WTH???
Tough Titty said The Kitty but the milk is still good

GarySe7en

I for one, see the subtle beauty in HDN's actions so far.  He will wait as long as is needed before actually naming GM as OC because GM has free access to MM , DW and any other possible recruit at this point.  As long as he is not a UA coach, no NCAA infraction.  It is a smooth move.  However, a lack of communication is very hard on the Razorbackers.  Just hang in there folks. It's all good.

TULAWHOG

The offense is a spread offense similar to TX Tech, but I really haven't seen Tech's enough to compare.  I've seen Springdale a few times and read Malzahn's book and I can say that his offense is up tempo and designed to take advantage of mismatches and taking what the defense gives.  Look, the reason why Tech doesn't win is because they don't have talent on defense, not because they don't score points.  A good example of an open offense that was "gimmicky" but won was Spurriers Run and Shoot in the 90s.  They won because they had balance on offense and great defenses.  Our offense is in a bad need of innovation and a vertical game...I can guarantee Gus's system will aspire to these needs.

Reaganite

Malzahn will be a defensive coordinators nightmare.

Imagine having to scheme against McFadden, Jones, Hillis, and Monk spread out in the backfield and Cedric Washinton, Andrew Norman, and another possibly GREAT receiver wide out.

If they line up in the box, Mustain pinpoints it to a wide out. 

If the defense drops back, he laterals it to McFadden, Jones, Monk or Hillis.

With our returning class, this season could be VERY interesting.  Defenses will Key on McFadden at their OWN PERIL!  And when they don't key on McFadden they do so at their own peril!

Kinghog1

Crap even if Gus wasn't named OC  and stayed at Springdale all he would have to do was to tell MM to stay AWAY from Arkansas and I'm sure he would
Tough Titty said The Kitty but the milk is still good

GarySe7en

GM's offense is not really a classic spread.  They go with no huddle most of the time and the QB reads the defense and basically takes what the defense gives them.  Our running backs will be even more successful because the passing game won't let other teams put 8 or 9 guys on the line.

chiefsfan

as long as Malzhan doesnt tell us playcalling is overrated during his press conference and then remind us of what good plays he called during his first big win then I'm fine    ;D
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Reaganite

Quote from: GarySe7en on December 09, 2005, 01:00:00 am
GM's offense is not really a classic spread. They go with no huddle most of the time and the QB reads the defense and basically takes what the defense gives them. Our running backs will be even more successful because the passing game won't let other teams put 8 or 9 guys on the line.

Boy that's an important point there!  The no huddle is something I didn't add into the equation.  Look at how the Colts come to the line and do the same thing this year!

This will eventually make Arkansas VERY attractive to top QB's after Mustain.  In requiring the ability of the QB to read the D and take what is given and will make the role of being the Arkansas field general higly coveted as well and a grooming ground for NFL QB talents.

GarySe7en

Exactly Reaganite, If MM stays healthy I have no dought that he will be the heir apparent to Peyton Manning,,,,
WOOOOOOO PIG!!!

Foots

I have read where Malzahn likes to pass to set up the run.

Hawg414

Quote from: Joe-T on December 09, 2005, 12:49:52 am
It's a farging JOKE to hire a H.S. coach as OC !!!!! Laugh all you want but I run my own Company and I'ld NEVER do what the U of A just did.. Welcome to the SEC where they slit your neck and drink your BLOOD !!! Kines !!!!

ya know... thats the obvious observation.  however, everyone starts somewhere... and malzahn has been ultra successful everywhere he has been so far.  yes, yes it was against high school teams.  but football is still football... and these "athletically limited" high school defensive players he was dominating are negated by the "athletically limited" offensive players he was dominating them with.  it rains on both ends of the field...and it will all balance out.

the fact is that malzahn seems to be an offensive minded wunderkind who HAS a future in college ball.  im glad he will begin that future at the UA rather than somewhere else kicking the UAs azz. 

there is one thing you cant deny - is malzahn a step DOWN from what we've had??  no.  not no... but HELL no.  its a high risk/reward situation with him... sure, there is some gamble involved... but if he turns out to be what we all hope he will...then we have just "stolen" an offensive minded wunderkind from the ranks of arkansas high school foozbaw. 

Hawg414

It's a farging JOKE to hire a H.S. coach as OC !!!!! Laugh all you want but I run my own Company and I'ld NEVER do what the U of A just did.. Welcome to the SEC where they slit your neck and drink your BLOOD !!! Kines !!!!

as for your company... i hate it for your young, up-and-coming stars who will never be given the chance to blossom and take your company to a newer, higher level.

vstar

The offense Gus runs utilizes the talent he has that particular year. His first year at Springdale he ran the ball more than he passed (from what I can remember). With a running back like DMAC, he will be put in more one on one and open field situations and we all know what that will produce.
Gus takes what the defense give him, stack the line he throws a pass. If the defense drops off into coverage he will put a man in motion and hand off up the middle, hit a tunnel screen or run a sweep.
The pressure his offense puts on a defense reminds you of the pressure Nolan's system put on the opposing team. When the offense  gets to rolling the defense just looks lost and immediately after the play the offense is at the line of scrimmage making the defense get set, coaches check the defensive set and call in a play.
Give Gus a little time and RRS will soon become a hot ticket just like Bud Walton was in Nolan's days.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Reaganite on December 09, 2005, 01:09:13 am
Boy that's an important point there! The no huddle is something I didn't add into the equation. Look at how the Colts come to the line and do the same thing this year!

The Colts also have Peyton Manning lining up on the field calling oiut what the defense is preparing to do, and changing the play 2-3 times based on what moves they make.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HOG71

Quote from: vstar on December 09, 2005, 06:32:24 am
The offense Gus runs utilizes the talent he has that particular year. His first year at Springdale he ran the ball more than he passed (from what I can remember). With a running back like DMAC, he will be put in more one on one and open field situations and we all know what that will produce.
Gus takes what the defense give him, stack the line he throws a pass. If the defense drops off into coverage he will put a man in motion and hand off up the middle, hit a tunnel screen or run a sweep.
The pressure his offense puts on a defense reminds you of the pressure Nolan's system put on the opposing team. When the offense gets to rolling the defense just looks lost and immediately after the play the offense is at the line of scrimmage making the defense get set, coaches check the defensive set and call in a play.
Give Gus a little time and RRS will soon become a hot ticket just like Bud Walton was in Nolan's days.

If you had said like Barnhill, I would be more fired up!!  I loved that place

JoeBobHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 09, 2005, 06:43:42 am
Boy that's an important point there! The no huddle is something I didn't add into the equation. Look at how the Colts come to the line and do the same thing this year!

The Colts also have Peyton Manning lining up on the field calling oiut what the defense is preparing to do, and changing the play 2-3 times based on what moves they make.

honestly, this is the closest comparison to Springdale's offense that I've seen, and I've seen Springdale in person several times.
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: TULAWHOG on December 09, 2005, 12:57:31 am
I've seen Springdale a few times and read Malzahn's book and I can say that his offense is up tempo and designed to take advantage of mismatches and taking what the defense gives.

I have my concerns about making Malzahn the OC, but I think it is a no brainer to hire him as an assistant.  Regardless of my opinion of bringing in Malzahn to be the OC, this mentality of taking "advantage of mismatches and taking what the defense gives" will be a FINE ADDITION to the current Razorback coaching staff.  HDN's MO over the past has been to do what we do best regardless of what the other team does on defense.  This is more of a high school mentality exhibited from our staff of Div. I coaches than what Malzahn has shown at Springdale.  For that one reason, he will be a good addition to this incompetent staff of dumasses.  Of course, if you keep Markuson then this is probably just a futile effort.

HBTHogs

Quote from: Reaganite on December 09, 2005, 12:58:02 am
Malzahn will be a defensive coordinators nightmare.

Imagine having to scheme against McFadden, Jones, Hillis, and Monk spread out in the backfield and Cedric Washinton, Andrew Norman, and another possibly GREAT receiver wide out.

If they line up in the box, Mustain pinpoints it to a wide out. 

If the defense drops back, he laterals it to McFadden, Jones, Monk or Hillis.

With our returning class, this season could be VERY interesting.  Defenses will Key on McFadden at their OWN PERIL!  And when they don't key on McFadden they do so at their own peril!

More like Spurrier without a huddle.  Not as much like Texas Tech.  Malzahn's offenses run the ball very well too.

Why do you think Monk would be in the backfield?  I can't see the benefit in that.

preacherhog

I can't wait to see Reggie Fish on a tunnel screen.

Madgun

Quote from: GarySe7en on December 09, 2005, 01:00:00 am
GM's offense is not really a classic spread. They go with no huddle most of the time and the QB reads the defense and basically takes what the defense gives them. Our running backs will be even more successful because the passing game won't let other teams put 8 or 9 guys on the line.

The QB doesn't read the defense, Malzahn flashes cards from the sideline telling him where to throw--or his primary target or something.  It will in no way be like what Peyton Manning does. 

Madgun

Quote from: JoeBobHog on December 09, 2005, 07:10:03 am
Quote from: Boarcephus on December 09, 2005, 06:43:42 am

honestly, this is the closest comparison to Springdale's offense that I've seen, and I've seen Springdale in person several times.

You've honestly seen Mitch line up and change the play several times at the line of scrimmage? 

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hogfankb

The no huddle probably won't be an option this year. If you put a sophomore or freshman at QB with a brand new system to them and tell them to read a defense out of the no huddle and call a play we will not score a point against SEC defenses. Unless every play that call is a run. I don't think this offense will be anywhere near full throttle until at earliest midway through the season. And even then i am not sure you can run no huddle with any QB that hasn't played atleast 2 seasons against SEC defenses. Malzahns offense is a verticle attack. Anyone else have any questions as to how we are gonna magically become a team that can pass block long enough for that? I think Malzahns offense will be great at the college level but i hope he gets time to show it off because this will not be an instantly unstopable offense.

hogsanity

I have seen his offense at S-dale, I also saw it at Shiloh and I saw it at Hughes.  He runs the offense to HIS TALENT, unlike most Hs coaches who force their players to run whatever archaic offense they have been running for 30 years  ( thats why so many Ar Hs teams run some version of the T or single wing, but thats another thread ).  THis is why I think the offense next year WILL NOT BE A SPREAD OFFENSE.  This team is built to run the ball.  The Ol cant pass block.  I dont think we even have 5 WR's on the team.  We have at least 2 stud TB's.  This is a ground team, and GUs will use that to its best.  Yes, we will throw vertically, but if you want to see a Texas TEch type offense, you better get somewhere that you can watch TT, cause I dont think it will be her next year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogFather

Can't be any worse than Nutt and Markuson calling the same four running plays. 

Madgun

Quote from: hogsanity on December 09, 2005, 09:16:26 am
I have seen his offense at S-dale, I also saw it at Shiloh and I saw it at Hughes. He runs the offense to HIS TALENT, unlike most Hs coaches who force their players to run whatever archaic offense they have been running for 30 years ( thats why so many Ar Hs teams run some version of the T or single wing, but thats another thread ). THis is why I think the offense next year WILL NOT BE A SPREAD OFFENSE. This team is built to run the ball. The Ol cant pass block. I dont think we even have 5 WR's on the team. We have at least 2 stud TB's. This is a ground team, and GUs will use that to its best. Yes, we will throw vertically, but if you want to see a Texas TEch type offense, you better get somewhere that you can watch TT, cause I dont think it will be her next year.

For the record, Gus isn't the only coach in the state who runs the spread, he isn't the only coach in the state who caters his offense to his talent, look at the 5A West.  Everyone, with the exception of VB, does a great job.  They didn't have 6 D-1 kids and a plethora of others capable of playing at lower levels which is what set Gus apart this year. 

If he truly is calling the plays, they'll run out of the shotgun primarily.  They'll look deep, throw underneath, run the draw.  I don't think it's as complex as most make it out to be. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Madgun on December 09, 2005, 09:23:50 am
Quote from: hogsanity on December 09, 2005, 09:16:26 am
I have seen his offense at S-dale, I also saw it at Shiloh and I saw it at Hughes. He runs the offense to HIS TALENT, unlike most Hs coaches who force their players to run whatever archaic offense they have been running for 30 years ( thats why so many Ar Hs teams run some version of the T or single wing, but thats another thread ). THis is why I think the offense next year WILL NOT BE A SPREAD OFFENSE. This team is built to run the ball. The Ol cant pass block. I dont think we even have 5 WR's on the team. We have at least 2 stud TB's. This is a ground team, and GUs will use that to its best. Yes, we will throw vertically, but if you want to see a Texas TEch type offense, you better get somewhere that you can watch TT, cause I dont think it will be her next year.

For the record, Gus isn't the only coach in the state who runs the spread, he isn't the only coach in the state who caters his offense to his talent, look at the 5A West. Everyone, with the exception of VB, does a great job. They didn't have 6 D-1 kids and a plethora of others capable of playing at lower levels which is what set Gus apart this year.

If he truly is calling the plays, they'll run out of the shotgun primarily. They'll look deep, throw underneath, run the draw. I don't think it's as complex as most make it out to be.

One thing, Willimas many times was just flat out faster than the DB, or was able to get the DB's on his side to bite on some little move, then just flat out run them.  He is fats, but, if he was at UA I dont even think he would be the fastes guy on our team, much less in the SEC. 

I think what is more important is that, if he is truly calling plays, he can get ready for the next several possesions while our D is on the field, and can make adjustments play to play.  I still bet we run the ball 30+ times a game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Madgun

Quote from: opineonswine on December 09, 2005, 09:32:34 am
I compare Gus' offense more to what Northwestern does. And they certainly don't have the studs that the rest of the "name" Big 10 schools have but gave them all fits. Throw it a lot but also use running. Their RB averaged over 120 yds per game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/nnv/stats

With the current coach, Walker, how many Big 10 championships have they won?  Before this year, what was their best overall record?  Is that what you want? 

Hoghead

I saw Springdale against Evangel this year down in Shreveport. Springdale basicly just ran what they wanted too. But I did Notice they threw a lot of Screens to Williams. Getting it to the best player they had and letting him cause havoc. They went deep, which Mustain throws the Deep ball extreamly well. However I never saw him throw any out patterns in the 12 to 15 yard varity. That left me questioning his Arm strength. You have to be able to throw the out pattern in the SEC.   

Madgun

Quote from: Hoghead on December 09, 2005, 10:51:09 am
I saw Springdale against Evangel this year down in Shreveport. Springdale basicly just ran what they wanted too. But I did Notice they threw a lot of Screens to Williams. Getting it to the best player they had and letting him cause havoc. They went deep, which Mustain throws the Deep ball extreamly well. However I never saw him throw any out patterns in the 12 to 15 yard varity. That left me questioning his Arm strength. You have to be able to throw the out pattern in the SEC.

His arm is plenty strong.  In high school, there wasn't much that they had to do to be successful.  They tried to beat you deep but if you took that away, they would throw that screen in the flat.  If you countered that, you were too spread out and Clinkscales took it up the middle.  When every athlete has big-time speed, he'll have to make some more throws-even though I don't think he'll play next year (if he comes here).  This is where I hope that Gus' playbook is a lot bigger.