Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Vs SMU

Started by Potosihog, December 07, 2010, 09:30:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Potosihog

Espnu will air the Ar Vs SMU game from 1982 on Dec 14 at 1:00am. Is this the infamous pass interference game? I will be recording it since it starts at 1:00 am

cityhog

yes.  yes it is.  for all you young ones out there, watch this game and see why t-shirts and bumber stickers were created about SWC refs after that game.  SWC screwing at its finest.

Wear Schoonover

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.

booogaga

someone give us a number chart of guys on both teams so us youngins can know who we are watching!
GO HOGS!

Pigsknuckles

December 07, 2010, 10:00:07 am #4 Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:16:21 am by Pigsknuckles
Super. I could not attend, and was unable to see/hear any broadcasts. To date, I have seen no video of the controversial calls.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HF#1

I'll be snoozing.  Just passed 2000 posts.  Yay me.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

little pigee

I was there, and couldn't walk for a week.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

josh_sec33

For those who are not familiar with the game, Can those of us that remember the game in better detail give a good explanation of what happened, when, and the implications.

never pass up an opportunity to teach the new hogs about the history of the program.

(I'd do it myself, but my knowledge of details on this game are shaky.)
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Wear Schoonover

Quote from: booogaga on December 07, 2010, 09:37:01 am
someone give us a number chart of guys on both teams so us youngins can know who we are watching!

Some fella named Dickinson wore #19. Running back, I think.

Wear Schoonover

In short: Arkansas was playing SMU at Texas Stadium. SMU had Dickerson and Craig James ... "The Pony Express".

Back in the SWC days, referees for Arkansas games could not be from Arkansas (for fear of "cheating"). Arkansas' Nathan Jones was called for defensive pass interference, which put the ball inside the Red Zone. SMU went on score and the game ended in a 17-17 TIE; nonetheless, this gave SMU the Conference Championship as Arkansas had lost to Baylor earlier in the season. 

The controversy was that there was no defensive pass interference.  It was clearly OFFENSIVE pass interference, and everybody in the stadium and in TV Land saw it---except the Texas ref.  In a post-game interview, the SMU player reportedly said he was play-acting, trying to convince ref that it was Jones interfering with him.

A variety of bumper stickers emerged at the time saying, "Damn Texas Refs".

TNhawgfan

SMU was undefeated going into the game and on their way to another national championship with a win over the Hogs. They did not get the win, but they did get a tie with some bogus officiating. Like someone else has already said, SWC taking care of their own. Of course, the SWC officials weren't the only cheaters, as just a few years later SMU was hit with the death penalty and didn't play any football games for two seasons (thus killing their football program). I believe there is going to be a documentary on this on ESPN Saturday night. I wonder if they will talk at all about the 82 tie with the Hogs?
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Silver Hog

Anybody have a pic of the 'interference' or the "eyes of texas" poster that came out after this game. I can't seem to find either online.

huthut

I distinctly remember their chicken s&*% coach, going for the tie instead of
the win. That year, I believe, was also the last year that 55 yard penalties
were allowed in college football. ESPN's great documentary series, 30 for 30,
will air their last episode, whose subject will be "the Pony Express", this Saturday.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogphilia

The ref's name was Horton Nsersta - yep spelling is right. I wrote him a long letter.  Big write-up in Ark Gazette about him apologizing
G to hog fans but said his call was right. Even though the sum player said it wasn't.

This call is what made NCAA change the penalty on this infraction from a spot foul to 15 yards.

ChicoHog

I was there. i think it was the week before Thanksgiving. Made the trip in my mustang with my roommate and 3 girls in the back seat.  We drank 2 cases of beer on the way down and 2 more on the way back.  It was that Oklahoma 3.2 beer.  Not a smart thing to do by the way.  We had a great time but a horrible ending to that game.  And then 2 weeks later we laid down against Texas in Austin and got killed.  that was a really good hog team.  We did beat Florida in the Bluebonnet bowl to finish the year. 

HawgFan70

Wont ever forget i was 12 years old and my passion for Arkansas football was as deep then as it is now. My entire family was at my grandmothers watching the game. When it was over i went outside and cried like a baby. I will dvr it this time maybe i wont cry lol. My mother got me a SWC address and i wrote a letter she mailed it for me. Funny how i remember that like it just happened
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

George S. Pigton

I went down with my folks, I was 15.  Everyone was excited about a trip to the Cotton Bowl and was expecting the
win.  Could not believe the call, we were just speechless.  I think that was the last road trip my Dad went on, he took it hard.
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

T2 RZB

That's funny.  No mention of the interference call on SMU's site recalling the 90 greatest moments in SMU history.  Only the FG block by Russell Carter.  Interesting that you have to go to the high 30s on the list to find anything significant that happened in the last 25-30 years.

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/greatest-moments-09.html

LZH

Someone needs to record and post that play.  The Hogs DB was running IN FRONT of the SMU receiver on a go route down the east sideline.  The pass was well overthrown as the DB didn't even make much of a play on the ball.  The WR ran up the back of the DB, and the ref called PI.

This is purely from memory, so someone add or correct as needed.

LJHOG

Quote from: LedZepHog on December 07, 2010, 11:24:45 am
Someone needs to record and post that play.  The Hogs DB was running IN FRONT of the SMU receiver on a go route down the east sideline.  The pass was well overthrown as the DB didn't even make much of a play on the ball.  The WR ran up the back of the DB, and the ref called PI.

This is purely from memory, so someone add or correct as needed.

Yes that is exactly what happened.  Also while y'all watch (I won't) take notice of the roughing the punter that wasn't called either.

BaggerHog

I am going to anger some folks by what I'm going to say but I can to this day see that play in my mind. I think it was a bad call but I can see how it could be called interference.

I will not be able to see it on espnu because my local cable is the worse in the state and does not offer it. I tried dish but had too many large trees and could not get a good signal.

To the best of my memory it was a long pass and slightly overthrown. Jones (Ark. D-back) was ahead of the receiver and between him and the ball. If Jones had gone for the ball there probably would have been no call but instead he slowed down and put his arms down to his side. The offensive man ran up his back (sts). I can see how that would have been seen as blocking the receiver's path to the ball. If Jones had had his arms up and never slowed down there would have been no way it could have been seen as interference.

forwhomthebelltoll

It was a horrible call and I can still hear the great ABC play by play man, Keith Jackson, say, "I frankly don't care who wins this game but I hate to see it decided on a call like that!" BaggerVance, this was before the days of making a play on the ball. I have always said this was the worst call I have ever seen.

The Great Hambino

Quote from: huthut on December 07, 2010, 10:31:30 am
I distinctly remember their chicken s&*% coach, going for the tie instead of
the win. That year, I believe, was also the last year that 55 yard penalties
were allowed in college football. ESPN's great documentary series, 30 for 30,
will air their last episode, whose subject will be "the Pony Express", this Saturday.

30 for 30 is about the only good programming that comes on ESPN anymore, except for games of course. Sometimes I watch Around the Horn.

cityhog

Attended that game with my sister and her 4 closest friends (5 in a VW bug).  Thought the Arkansas fans were going to burn down TX stadium.

98hogs

Pass Interference My _ _ _ !!

cityhog

Quote from: Wear Schoonover on December 07, 2010, 10:18:40 am
In short: Arkansas was playing SMU at Texas Stadium. SMU had Dickerson and Craig James ... "The Pony Express".

Back in the SWC days, referees for Arkansas games could not be from Arkansas (for fear of "cheating"). Arkansas' Nathan Jones was called for defensive pass interference, which put the ball inside the Red Zone. SMU went on score and the game ended in a 17-17 TIE; nonetheless, this gave SMU the Conference Championship as Arkansas had lost to Baylor earlier in the season. 

The controversy was that there was no defensive pass interference.  It was clearly OFFENSIVE pass interference, and everybody in the stadium and in TV Land saw it---except the Texas ref.  In a post-game interview, the SMU player reportedly said he was play-acting, trying to convince ref that it was Jones interfering with him.

A variety of bumper stickers emerged at the time saying, "Damn Texas Refs".

This always enraged me, and Holtz as well, because we couldn't have any Arkansas refs, but all of the refs were from TX.  Hypocrisy much?

jgphillips3

How bad was that call?  Bad enough to change the rules in college football.  That's all that has to be said about that game.  It still makes me sick to this day. 

Potosihog

From PonyFans.com (SMU forum) "Oh no. I am going to hear about the pass interference call again. It was just starting to die down a little." :)

hogfan58

It was not "slightly" overthrown - it was well over thrown. It wasn't catch-able. Our defender realized it and slowed down. Their receiver ran up his back. At best it was a no call. I was watching the game with non Ark and SMU fans who said it was the most blatant and obvious rip off call they had ever seen. It was so blatant than when you see it, you can't even believe that a penalty is being called.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

hillhog

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 07, 2010, 10:00:07 am
Super. I could not attend, and was unable to see/hear any broadcasts. To date, I have seen no video of the controversial calls.
Just put the image of Tebow's magical first down call, you will get a very good representation of the interference call.

hillhog

Quote from: cityhog on December 07, 2010, 12:30:54 pm
Attended that game with my sister and her 4 closest friends (5 in a VW bug).  Thought the Arkansas fans were going to burn down TX stadium.
They should have

bphi11ips

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 07, 2010, 12:44:41 pm
How bad was that call?  Bad enough to change the rules in college football.  That's all that has to be said about that game.  It still makes me sick to this day. 

This.  It was a watershed moment.  Until 1982 pass interference in college football was a spot foul.  During the offseason the rule was changed to 15 yards from the previous spot (the exception being when interference occurs in the end zone).  The change was the direct result of national controversy/discussion following the game.

I personally like the old rule better.  If the pass is over 15 yards, why not interfere?

The bumper sticker I remember is "Pass Interference My Ass".  There were as many of those as little hogs on antennas.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Wild Bill Hog

Ref was a guy named Horton Nesrsta who had played at Rice.  He refereed no more Arkansas games after this one and his career was pretty much over at that point as well.

HognVA

Quote from: PianoMo on December 07, 2010, 12:28:05 pm
30 for 30 is about the only good programming that comes on ESPN anymore, except for games of course. Sometimes I watch Around the Horn.

PTI baby

Arkfan

Horton Nsesrta, who last we checked was still living in the Houston area, was considered a fine and well-respected referee in the Southwest Conference up through the early 1980s. In former Big Ten and NFL referee Jerry Markbreit's memoir about his days officiating college and pro football, he mentions the Rice Owl three-year letterman fondly. They shared a few days on the field together in stripes and developed a friendship.

Yet, Nsesrta was the one who threw his flag in one of the most dubious plays involving an Arkansas Razorbacks game. So, at least in Arkansas among the older Hog fans, his name is held in infamy.

After that penalty flag, in which a great acting job by the SMU wide receiver momentarily convinced a good official that Arkansas cornerback Nathan Jones, running in front of the receiver and closer to the football, had somehow interfered with the catch, Nsesrta's days of calling Lou Holtz' Razorback games were over. And not too long later, Nsesrta was done with officiating college football, though he did resurface to referee some United States Football League games for a few seasons.   

I wasnt at the game but I was living in Dallas at the time and watched it on TV. To this day its the worse call Ive ever seen with the one in the Florida game coming in at second.

You get a call that's so bad that they change the rule, its bad.

ballz2thewall

It is the game. I was there. Nathan jones was the db for the hogs. I'll never forget it.
The rest of the frog.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 07, 2010, 11:00:28 am
I was there. i think it was the week before Thanksgiving. Made the trip in my mustang with my roommate and 3 girls in the back seat.  We drank 2 cases of beer on the way down and 2 more on the way back.  It was that Oklahoma 3.2 beer.  Not a smart thing to do by the way.  We had a great time but a horrible ending to that game.  And then 2 weeks later we laid down against Texas in Austin and got killed.  that was a really good hog team.  We did beat Florida in the Bluebonnet bowl to finish the year. 

Two dudes and 3 girls and all you did was drink 4 cases of beer? Hell, Okie beer won't even make you drunk.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Sas Nakra

I was at the game. It was a thing of beauty. Holtz at his best against a better SMU team. Hogs should have won it but as is typical of Hog football, we did not get the critical win. At least did not lose it.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.