Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC-only stats

Started by Biggus Piggus, December 02, 2010, 12:34:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

December 02, 2010, 12:34:45 pm Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:37:10 pm by Biggus Piggus
In SEC games, only two teams scored more than 30 ppg, Auburn (38) and Arkansas (36).  The Razorbacks did it while playing against five of the top six scoring defenses.

The most outstanding number for the Razorbacks: 18 touchdowns scored from outside the red zone, far and away the most in the SEC.  Next best was Auburn with 11.  This is the threat that Ryan Mallett brings better than anyone else.

Arkansas led the conference in total offense, the only team past 300 yards per game through the air (averaged 347) while getting around league average in rushing.  The last weekend also pushed the Razorbacks to first in passing efficiency.

These numbers came despite 38% third down conversion, which was 10th in the SEC.  The Hogs were third in first downs—first by air, eighth by land, fourth by penalty.  In the red zone, Arkansas scored TDs on 63% of its chances, which rated only fifth.

On defense, the Razorbacks allowed 28 ppg, in line with Auburn and ahead of only Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and Kentucky.  That was 23 ppg against seven teams + one huge score by Auburn.  Arkansas was eighth in total defense though the 5.5 yards per play allowed was better than average.  The Hogs' D was on the field for a league-high 558 plays, so the per-game yards are a little misleading.

Run defense, Arkansas ranked 10th, or 11th in pure rushing defense excluding sacks.  Six SEC defenses allowed more than 5 yards per carry in league games:

5.8 Ole Miss
5.2 Arkansas
5.2 Kentucky
5.1 Vanderbad
5.1 LSU
5.0 Tennessee

The compensator was pass defense.  The Hogs improved to fifth in pass defense efficiency.  Adjusted for sacks, Arkansas ranked third in pass defense and also gave up the third-fewest TD passes.  Good pass D enabled the Hogs to rank first in third down defense, 35%.  South Carolina and Arkansas tied at the top with 27 sacks.  This is a talent-rich conference; leading the SEC in sacks is bigtime.

Arkansas allowed 20 first downs per game, one of five teams to allow that many or more.  Only Arkansas and Vandy gave up more than 80 rushing first downs.  In the red zone, the Razorbacks allowed TDs 56% of the time, which rated fourth in the SEC.  Problem was opponents entered the red zone more than four times a game, as often as the league's bad defenses allowed.

In special teams:

Last in net kickoffs, at 40 yards on average despite averaging 65 yards prior to returns.  When your team kicks off almost seven times a game, the significance of this weakness is elevated.

11th in kickoff returns, at 19.5 yards on average (Lance Ray did 22 on average).

Ninth in net punting, at 36.5 yards, primarily due to a rather low gross average, 40.7 yards.  Hang time and placement were good, just need to work on the distance.

First in punt returns, but that's misleading with only seven attempts that included a 97-yarder.  Actual punt returns were rare.

Third in field goal accuracy, 83%, 10-12.  Great season for SEC kickers, six over 80%, and six teams made all their PATs.

Arkansas was last in both number of penalties and penalty yards.  All but the Hogs and Florida were below 50 penalties; the two had 64.

Individually, Mallett (who missed most of one game) finished only modestly behind Cam Newton in total offense, contrary to what you'd think by the relative hype; and beat out Newton by a hair in pass efficiency (on far more difficult and frequent throws).

Knile Davis got 104 yards per SEC game with a 5.7-yard average, 12 touchdowns – compared with Marcus Lattimore's 4.8 average and 11 scores.  Michael Dyer had a better per-carry average, 5.9, but just two TDs.  Dyer didn't have as many prime-time carries, or red zone attempts, so his average benefits from play selection.  Still, great season for Dyer.

Joe Adams and D.J. Williams both averaged 4.1 catches.  Jarius Wright led with 71 yards per game receiving, a 20-yard average per catch.

Jerry Franklin tied for sixth in tackles and sacks, nice combo.  Tenarius Wright was fifth in sacks.
[CENSORED]!

TXrazorback

as always, great info Biggus!
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

Oklahawg

Two things stick out to me, and they are related: sacks and TD passes allowed. Passing efficiency would be elevated if sacks were a part of that stat, which they should be.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Smitty86

Some great stats, some not so great stats. Thanks Biggus.

hoosier

Good info Biggus.
Stat wise I think the defense is about as good as it can be. When our offense continues to score as quickly as ours and also has a poor 3rd down conversion rate that just leads to more time on the field. I think they looked much better than the stats though.

FarmingtonFan

The improved running game will help lower the number of plays our defense is on the field.  The ability to hammer a team in the fourth qtr, as we did LSU is invaluable to helping our defense.

Speedracer

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 02, 2010, 12:34:45 pm
In SEC games, only two teams scored more than 30 ppg, Auburn (38) and Arkansas (36).  The Razorbacks did it while playing against five of the top six scoring defenses.

The most outstanding number for the Razorbacks: 18 touchdowns scored from outside the red zone, far and away the most in the SEC.  Next best was Auburn with 11.  This is the threat that Ryan Mallett brings better than anyone else.

Arkansas led the conference in total offense, the only team past 300 yards per game through the air (averaged 347) while getting around league average in rushing.  The last weekend also pushed the Razorbacks to first in passing efficiency.

These numbers came despite 38% third down conversion, which was 10th in the SEC.  The Hogs were third in first downs—first by air, eighth by land, fourth by penalty.  In the red zone, Arkansas scored TDs on 63% of its chances, which rated only fifth.

On defense, the Razorbacks allowed 28 ppg, in line with Auburn and ahead of only Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and Kentucky.  That was 23 ppg against seven teams + one huge score by Auburn.  Arkansas was eighth in total defense though the 5.5 yards per play allowed was better than average.  The Hogs' D was on the field for a league-high 558 plays, so the per-game yards are a little misleading.

Run defense, Arkansas ranked 10th, or 11th in pure rushing defense excluding sacks.  Six SEC defenses allowed more than 5 yards per carry in league games:

5.8 Ole Miss
5.2 Arkansas
5.2 Kentucky
5.1 Vanderbad
5.1 LSU
5.0 Tennessee

The compensator was pass defense.  The Hogs improved to fifth in pass defense efficiency.  Adjusted for sacks, Arkansas ranked third in pass defense and also gave up the third-fewest TD passes.  Good pass D enabled the Hogs to rank first in third down defense, 35%.  South Carolina and Arkansas tied at the top with 27 sacks.  This is a talent-rich conference; leading the SEC in sacks is bigtime.

Arkansas allowed 20 first downs per game, one of five teams to allow that many or more.  Only Arkansas and Vandy gave up more than 80 rushing first downs.  In the red zone, the Razorbacks allowed TDs 56% of the time, which rated fourth in the SEC.  Problem was opponents entered the red zone more than four times a game, as often as the league’s bad defenses allowed.

In special teams:

Last in net kickoffs, at 40 yards on average despite averaging 65 yards prior to returns.  When your team kicks off almost seven times a game, the significance of this weakness is elevated.

11th in kickoff returns, at 19.5 yards on average (Lance Ray did 22 on average).

Ninth in net punting, at 36.5 yards, primarily due to a rather low gross average, 40.7 yards.  Hang time and placement were good, just need to work on the distance.

First in punt returns, but that’s misleading with only seven attempts that included a 97-yarder.  Actual punt returns were rare.

Third in field goal accuracy, 83%, 10-12.  Great season for SEC kickers, six over 80%, and six teams made all their PATs.

Arkansas was last in both number of penalties and penalty yards.  All but the Hogs and Florida were below 50 penalties; the two had 64.

Individually, Mallett (who missed most of one game) finished only modestly behind Cam Newton in total offense, contrary to what you’d think by the relative hype; and beat out Newton by a hair in pass efficiency (on far more difficult and frequent throws).

Knile Davis got 104 yards per SEC game with a 5.7-yard average, 12 touchdowns – compared with Marcus Lattimore’s 4.8 average and 11 scores.  Michael Dyer had a better per-carry average, 5.9, but just two TDs.  Dyer didn’t have as many prime-time carries, or red zone attempts, so his average benefits from play selection.  Still, great season for Dyer.

Joe Adams and D.J. Williams both averaged 4.1 catches.  Jarius Wright led with 71 yards per game receiving, a 20-yard average per catch.

Jerry Franklin tied for sixth in tackles and sacks, nice combo.  Tenarius Wright was fifth in sacks.

A shame that I can only give you +1 at a time sir.
Like smites bother me.

stchane

5.8 Ole Miss
5.2 Arkansas
5.2 Kentucky
5.1 Vanderbad
5.1 LSU
5.0 Tennessee

Arkansas allowed 20 first downs per game, one of five teams to allow that many or more.  Only Arkansas and Vandy gave up more than 80 rushing first downs.  In the red zone, the Razorbacks allowed TDs 56% of the time, which rated fourth in the SEC.  Problem was opponents entered the red zone more than four times a game, as often as the league's bad defenses allowed.

In special teams:

First in punt returns, but that's misleading with only seven attempts that included a 97-yarder.  Actual punt returns were rare.

Individually, Mallett (who missed most of one game) finished only modestly behind Cam Newton in total offense, contrary to what you'd think by the relative hype; and beat out Newton by a hair in pass efficiency (on far more difficult and frequent throws).

Knile Davis got 104 yards per SEC game with a 5.7-yard average, 12 touchdowns – compared with Marcus Lattimore's 4.8 average and 11 scores.  Michael Dyer had a better per-carry average, 5.9, but just two TDs.  Dyer didn't have as many prime-time carries, or red zone attempts, so his average benefits from play selection.  Still, great season for Dyer.

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?org=31&year=2010&week=12
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

cashmoneyman_04

Biggus, you are a beast at awesome posts.  Thanks for the great info. +1
Fool me once, strike one....Fool me twice......strike 3
Pippity Poppity give me the Zoppity
You have to play to win, but you have to win to play

moses_007

The only stat that really matters right now is 10 wins and 2 losses.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

WizardofhOgZ

Very informative post, BP.

Although relatively insignificant in the whole scheme of things, the one that looks a little misleading to me is this one, because to my recollection Breeding had a good, consistent year punting.  In particular, I remember the boomer he had from the shadows of his own goal post late in the Georgia game I attended, in which they only needed a FG to pull ahead (tie game).  They caught it at about their own 40 and we held to get the ball back and move to the winning score.

Beyond that, I'm wondering if his low gross average wasn't a by product of the efficacy of our offense, which relatively often required him to be punting for placement inside the 20 rather than pure distance.  All kickers do this, of course,  But I doubt his peers had as many of those situations, as a percentage of punting opportunities, as did Breeding.

Bottom line is that I was as pleased with our punting game as I have been in many years this season.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on December 03, 2010, 05:53:43 pm
Very informative post, BP.

Although relatively insignificant in the whole scheme of things, the one that looks a little misleading to me is this one, because to my recollection Breeding had a good, consistent year punting.  In particular, I remember the boomer he had from the shadows of his own goal post late in the Georgia game I attended, in which they only needed a FG to pull ahead (tie game).  They caught it at about their own 40 and we held to get the ball back and move to the winning score.

Beyond that, I'm wondering if his low gross average wasn't a by product of the efficacy of our offense, which relatively often required him to be punting for placement inside the 20 rather than pure distance.  All kickers do this, of course,  But I doubt his peers had as many of those situations, as a percentage of punting opportunities, as did Breeding.

Bottom line is that I was as pleased with our punting game as I have been in many years this season.

Breeding had a few good games.  I checked his last few, as I thought they hurt his overall stats.

Ole Miss
54 yards to the 4, fair catch (awesome)
39 yards to the 32, returned 6 (too short)
33 yards to the 15, fair catch (good work)
40 yards to the 19, returned 19 (too short)
50 yards to the 20, returned 33
49 yards, touchback
27 yards to the 20, fair catch (too short)

Vanderbilt
39 yards to the 15, fair catch (good work)
45 yards to the 9, downed (awesome)
34 yards to the 31, returned 1 (too short)
35 yards to the Hogs' 38, fair catch (too short)

South Carolina
41 yards to the 15, fair catch (good work)
40 yards to the 20, downed (too short)

UTEP
44 yards to the 20, returned 0 (good work)

Mississippi State
54 yards, touchback (roughing penalty, rekick)
35 yards to the 14, fair catch (good work)
39 yards to the 40, fair catch (too short)
44 yards to the 29, downed (good work)

LSU
49 yards to the 23, returned 0 (awesome)
41 yards to the 27, fumbled away
42 yards to the 25, fair catch (it's Patrick Peterson, I'm good with it)
44 yards to the 29, fair catch (see above)
38 yards to the 30, fair catch (getting a little too short now)
31 yards to the 12, fair catch (good work)

I read that as 1/3 of his punts were shorter than they could have been given the situation.  The SEC is full of high-class punters.  In this league, a typical "punt away" distance is over 45 yards.  In the games listed here, Breeding got to punt away 12-13 times and surpassed 45 yards less than half the time.  Appears that Breeding punts best when he's right on the edge of "punt away" range.  I bet he learns and has a terrific season in 2011.
[CENSORED]!