Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, first hand experience/feedback needed

Started by Albert Einswine, November 11, 2010, 02:10:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

I've always wanted one of these for varmint hunting fun and recently read an article that says they've really tightened up the shooting accuracy on this rifle.

Anyone here with firsthand experience, I'd really appreciate your feedback pro or con.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

I have shot one a couple of times and Loved it. On the Net you will find it is quite divisive weapon  Some will worship it and other will cuss it like they would a cheating wife.

I like them IMO
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Albert Einswine

Thanks, Delta.  I'm reading that they re-tooled the production line on it and the ensuing "580" serial model is much improved.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

Consistant Accuracy was the most complained thing I heard!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hawgon

I'm going to get one before too long.  For me, I like the ergonomics a lot better than on an AR-15 although there is no doubt the AR will be a good bit more accurate and have lots more high cap magazines available.

Albert Einswine

True, but 20 and 30 round clips are available and the cost of the gun is substantially lower.

Hawgon

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 12, 2010, 12:11:25 pm
True, but 20 and 30 round clips are available and the cost of the gun is substantially lower.

Not really that much cheaper anymore.  The Ruger sells for about $615 at Wal-Mart.  You can buy a really nice basic AR-15/M-4 clone from Del-ton, Doublestar, or even DPMS for $650-$750.  And reliable magazines can be had for the AR for as little as $7, and the best AR magazines ever made, P-mags, are only about $15.  Good reliable Mini 14 magazines start at about $40 and go up because the only really reliable ones are the ones made by Ruger.

Albert Einswine

Hawgon, can you tell me a Walmart location that actually has a mini-14 in stock?  I'll be in Little Rock before and after Thanksgiving and from what I'm finding, $615 for this rifle, new, is as good as it gets.

Slacker

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 11, 2010, 02:10:18 pm
I've always wanted one of these for varmint hunting fun and recently read an article that says they've really tightened up the shooting accuracy on this rifle.

Anyone here with firsthand experience, I'd really appreciate your feedback pro or con.

Had a "Ranch Rifle" 12 years ago. I got rid of it less than a year after purchasing it. Not happy with the accuracy, and it was brand specific to cycle properly.

Slacker

That being said. All of my go to deer riffles are M77s. I am not a Ruger hater by any means. Except the M-14 and their semi-auto handguns.

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 13, 2010, 09:29:49 am
Hawgon, can you tell me a Walmart location that actually has a mini-14 in stock?  I'll be in Little Rock before and after Thanksgiving and from what I'm finding, $615 for this rifle, new, is as good as it gets.

Jonesboro at the Highland  Drive location has a couple.

Éireannach Collach

I've had my Mini-14 for 13 years and have NEVER had accuracy or magazine feeding problems. But to be honest I do not buy after market mags either. 3 or 4 20 rd. are all you really need. I have drilled 4 does through the head with my Mini, one was at 180 yds.
"This is my Frito Pie. There are many like it but this one is mine. My Frito Pie is my best friend. It is my life. I must consume it as I must consume air. Without me, my Frito Pie is useless. Without my Frito Pie I am useless. I must prepare my Frito Pie correctly. I must eat my Frito Pie faster than my neighbor, who is trying to steal my Frito Pie. I must neutralize him before he takes my Frito Pie from me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my Frito Pie and myself are defenders of all things D.S.T., we are the masters of Hogville and D.S.T.'s enemies, we are the saviors of all life. So be it, until all love Frito Pie and Hogville, then peace. Amen."

195bc

Albert Einswine

Thanks for the feedback, y'all.  I checked with the Jonesboogie Walmart and they have a couple in stock for $627.  I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on getting one next week when I'm down for Thanksgiving.

Albert Einswine

November 15, 2010, 05:10:14 pm #14 Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 05:11:52 pm by Albert Einswine
Quote from: Boar on November 15, 2010, 04:48:19 pm
Look forward to reading your review.

Should be able to give a good one.  Central Indiana is absolutely filthy with coyote and fox and I plan to thin the numbers around my neck of the woods.

Plan on doing some spine bustin' on wild hog in Arkansas over the Christmas/New Years Holidays as well.

Albert Einswine

I inquired with a local gun dealer up here yesterday evening and he said he could sell me a new AR-15 for $650.  I feel a bit of a dilemma now.  An AR-15 for only $23 more.  Opinions?  I like the AR's but they're just not as aesthetically pleasing and they don't look at all like a sporting rifle, plus I'd probably automatically get put on the FBI's "right-wing militia kook" list as soon as I purchased, lol!

Slacker

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 16, 2010, 07:47:10 am
I inquired with a local gun dealer up here yesterday evening and he said he could sell me a new AR-15 for $650.  I feel a bit of a dilemma now.  An AR-15 for only $23 more.  Opinions?  I like the AR's but they're just not as aesthetically pleasing and they don't look at all like a sporting rifle, plus I'd probably automatically get put on the FBI's "right-wing militia kook" list as soon as I purchased, lol!

But....

The versatility of the AR FAR out weighs the Mini-14. Once you have that lower, you can change out the upper to anything you want. Hell, there's even a crossbow attachment for the AR Lower. I just purchased my first AR last year (Colt A3 HB). The accuracy is effing fabulous. I'm not a gadget guy for stuff hanging off of rifles. So, mine is a very stock flat top. But if you do like gadgets, you can get rails to add stuff to your hearts content.

Albert Einswine

But is it a nail driver?  That's the main thing.  Do you have it scoped or use the peep?  Ever had any cycling problems, etc...

Slacker

And...

Once you get past the media and anti-gun driven stigma that the AR is a "bad rifle", you'll soon love to love it as a utility semi-auto.

Albert Einswine

Another thing... what kind of ammo costs am I looking at?  Is there any place that you can buy bulk for reasonably low cost?  I plan to lay waste to some coyotes.  I have no shortage of them around me and Indiana allows night hunting.

Slacker

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 16, 2010, 08:10:45 am
But is it a nail driver?  That's the main thing.  Do you have it scoped or use the peep? 

Again, my rifle is the Heavy Barrel version. But at 200 yards, you could knock the hair off of an ant's balls using my scoped A3.

Ever had any cycling problems, etc...

Due to ammo? No. And when the ammo shortage was an issue, I purchased the cheapest Russian made stuff I could find ($0.25 per round) with no problems. I've ran a variety of rounds through it with no issue. Now magazines are a different story. My particular rifle is particular to certain mags. The cheapos seem to cause jamming. I've got a variety of mags from 5 to 50 rounders. I purchased some cheap ones at the Tulsa Gun show last spring and need to find a boat anchor to tie them to... They are terrible.

Slacker

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 16, 2010, 08:15:22 am
Another thing... what kind of ammo costs am I looking at?  Is there any place that you can buy bulk for reasonably low cost?  I plan to lay waste to some coyotes.  I have no shortage of them around me and Indiana allows night hunting.

sportsmansguide.com for ammo. For quality hunting ammo, I visit my local shop. But in mass quantity, I've never been disappointed with Sportsmans Guide's price or quality.

Slacker

95_alum

But is it a nail driver?  That's the main thing.  Do you have it scoped or use the peep?  Ever had any cycling problems, etc...

Albert- What are your expectations, in terms of MOA, for a semi-auto Mini-14 & an AR under $700? Same hole? 1/4"?

Hawgon

If you're only going to get one, get the AR.  It is way more versatile.  You could buy a decent AR, fifteen or twenty magazines, and 500 rounds of ammunition for less than a $1,000.  And I've never seen an inaccurate AR.  They will all shoot an inch at 100 yards with just about anything you want to shoot through them.  Many, if not most, will do a lot better than that with high quality ammunition or handloads.  So, if you are only going to get one, get the AR.

All that said, I have an AR and I'm going to get a Mini-14 before too long.  It is going to be my truck rifle and I'm not going to worry about high cap mags for it or anything else.  And I do prefer the ergonomics of the Mini-14 to the AR.

Another cheap alternative that is more reliable than either AR or the Mini, a good bit cheaper than either, and probably just as accurate as the Mini is the Saiga in .223.  It is essentially an AK with sporter stock and they are pretty cool rifles.  I have one in 7.62x39 and I like it a good bit.

DeltaBoy

I would get the AR if I the differance is only 23 dollars.

Albert Einswine

Thanks for all the feedback, y'all.  The AR sounds like the way to go for now.  I'll probably still wind up with a Mini in the future.  Gonna go check out the AR's tomorrow after the morning hunt.

Albert Einswine

Okay, I couldn't wait.  I went and looked them over this evening.  I'm impressed.  Dude has 4 new ones coming in from DPMS at noon on Thursday for $650 dollars.  Flat tops, scope ready.  Tell me why I shouldn't drop the hammer or if I can find a better deal on a new one in Arkansas.

Advice is appreciated.

Slacker

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Slacker on November 16, 2010, 07:51:08 pm
Hit it and quit it. DPMS is a great rifle.

Man it felt great!  The one I looked at just had the 2 aperture flip peeper and target acquisition was instantaneous as soon as the butt hit my shoulder.  The thing weighs nothing!  Sweet feeling machine.

DeltaBoy

Albert Einswine

As of about 1630 hrs this afternoon I am the proud owner of a brand spankin' new DPMS Model A-15.  This thing is SWEET!  No varmint (or wild hog) is safe!

Slacker

DeltaBoy

95_alum

Now you can tell Jim Zumbo just how wrong he was with his inflammatory statements. Congrats!

Albert Einswine

95_alum

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers." - Jim Zumbo

Albert Einswine

What an asshat!  It's a semi-auto sport rifle that just happens to look really cool and work reliably.  Honestly, some lefty might call my 742 .30-06 a terrorist weapon.

95_alum

No doubt. He stepped in it, big time.
---

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true...

Slacker

I noticed yesterday in the Natchez Shooter's Supply catalog, they have 1000 rounds of .223 FMJ for $0.28 per round. Thats pretty cheap....

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Slacker on November 26, 2010, 09:36:30 am
I noticed yesterday in the Natchez Shooter's Supply catalog, they have 1000 rounds of .223 FMJ for $0.28 per round. Thats pretty cheap....

Thanks for the info!  I'm in Little Rock visiting family for the holiday and went to the AGFC range over by Mayflower on Wednesday and dialed her in.  Nice facility over there.

Slacker

Albert Einswine

Boar,  I've burned over 300 rounds thru it already and it has cycled like a dream.  Not one problem.  The accuracy is outstanding. I've only shot it out to 100 yds, but that was with peep sights and I was still able to keep it under an inch and a half once it was dialed in.  I'm anxious to see what I can do with a scope on it.

DeltaBoy

bigyellowdog

Congrats on the AR.   8)

Albert Einswine

Quote from: bigyellowdog on November 29, 2010, 02:47:31 pm
Congrats on the AR.   8)

Thanks BYD!  If you like to shoot we oughta get together and head over to Wilbur Wright WMA over by New Castle one of these days.  They have a range over there I've shot at several times.

bigyellowdog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 29, 2010, 03:05:18 pm

Thanks BYD!  If you like to shoot we oughta get together and head over to Wilbur Wright WMA over by New Castle one of these days.  They have a range over there I've shot at several times.

That is usually where I go to shoot my AR.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: bigyellowdog on November 29, 2010, 05:53:46 pm
That is usually where I go to shoot my AR.

We should get together and burn powder then.  Caleb wants to go shoot before too long.

bigyellowdog

Sounds like a plan.  I would love to go out and pop off a few hundred rounds before winter sets in.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: bigyellowdog on November 29, 2010, 06:03:59 pm
Sounds like a plan.  I would love to go out and pop off a few hundred rounds before winter sets in.

Yeah... and it's about to set in!  The one thing that makes living here really difficult.