Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My take on the Auburn/Arkansas game(officals)

Started by Clint Alan, October 16, 2010, 08:36:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Clint Alan

It was all it was cracked up to be. Offensive fireworks, no defense, and questionable officiating. It had it all.

This game featured more momentum swings than Pam Anderson has had bed partners. Arkansas lost, but the loss was earned by those in white & black stripes, not those in tiger stripes.

I am a member of the media in NWA, and hate criticizing officials. I draw the line though, when you have ample amount of time to review a call that was blown on the field.

I saw numerous replays of the fumble they called a touchdown, and the fumble by our running back. I am still in awe in how either of those two were upheld. It does not register in my mind.

I understand the thought of those who may believe that the game may have been lost in other aspects of the game. Coming from a person who played at a couple levels of football, believe me, those calls are hard to overcome.

One call can be dealt with. We came back, we had retaken the lead early in the 4th quarter. The last review though, that was a travesty. It was a mockery. It was a knife to the heart of not only the Razorback team, but its fan base, its administration. It was a middle finger to one of the last schools to join the conference back in 1992.

It was hard to stomach today. I felt sick, I saw worse officiating than Florida in 2009. What will the SEC do? Anything? What does it really mean to suspend officials? Is it a small sign that CBS admittedly said Mike Slive was in attendance? Does he care?

The bottom line here is, it is sad when the SEC claims to be the best athletic conference, but cannot field a legitimate team of officials who can make competent calls in big games. I have seen it time and time again. Arkansas in the last two years. LSU at Auburn a few years ago, the list could go on.

When will someone take a stand? How can someone take a stand? We are dealing with the most powerful conference in collegiate athletics. What is it going to take? Who will be the rebellious one to step up and say enough is enough?

I understand the things officials go through. I personally know many who call at high school, and college levels. Today was horrid. Today was flat out bad. The guys had the opportunity to correct their wrongs or, shall I say, lies(who signaled TD on the fumble?).

I am not making excuses, I am just telling you how it really is, in a players mind. Some stab wounds can be overcome early in a fight. When you have fought your guts out, and you get that one last stab wound to the back, it is going to take you down. That is what happened today.

Clint
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

I am feeling your pain. It makes you not even want to fight, because it won't be fair. I don't even think the officials will be suspended honestly.

BigSexyHog

Nice post..... I am still sick and pissed.  F those worthless POS officials
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Dirty

I agree but here come the" Take the 14 points away we lose by 8." sayers.

Steef

Quote from: Clint Alan on October 16, 2010, 08:36:39 pm

The bottom line here is, it is sad when the SEC claims to be the best athletic conference, but cannot field a legitimate team of officials who can make competent calls in big games. I have seen it time and time again. Arkansas in the last two years. LSU at Auburn a few years ago, the list could go on.

When will someone take a stand? How can someone take a stand? We are dealing with the most powerful conference in collegiate athletics. What is it going to take? Who will be the rebellious one to step up and say enough is enough?

I understand the things officials go through. I personally know many who call at high school, and college levels. Today was horrid. Today was flat out bad. The guys had the opportunity to correct their wrongs or, shall I say, lies(who signaled TD on the fumble?).

It sure sounds like you're assuming the officials were just...incompetent.

I don't believe that. I think they knew exactly what they were doing. I think they knew that LAST year, when they produced two undefeated teams in Atlanta.

The only thing we DON'T know yet, is whether they have chosen Auburn or LSU to reach Atlanta undefeated. But whichever it is, I can tell you right now who's gonna win between the East & West on that day.

Clint Alan

Quote from: hogfanwithms on October 16, 2010, 08:41:06 pm

Was my main point to my post.

Those that have never played the game, do not honestly realize what two demoralizing calls like that can do to a team.

We handled the first one, we handled it better than I expected. The second one though, that one is tough.

The 2nd call......it makes it difficult to look at your teammate and tell him everything is going to be alright. It makes it hard to pat someone on the backside and say, "We will get them next time." At that point, you question the entire game. You question the relevancy of the officials. You lost interest in being there.

It is a fact of the game. The same thoughts went through our coaches minds.

We were beat after the second horrible call. Those calls were worth much more than 14 points.

"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

hawgsav1

Very well written Clint.  + one.  Can anyone post the online fax site and the place to contact the SEC office?  We need to spam them like we did last year.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Pigdiana Jones

The officials won't be suspended, if they are, its for Slive's piece of sorry ass to save face. If they aren't suspended, they'll be heros to pos slive and probably given a raise.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Clint Alan

Quote from: steefhog on October 16, 2010, 08:46:08 pm

I don't believe that. I think they knew exactly what they were doing. I think they knew that LAST year, when they produced two undefeated teams in Atlanta.

The only thing we DON'T know yet, is whether they have chosen Auburn or LSU to reach Atlanta undefeated. But whichever it is, I can tell you right now who's gonna win between the East & West on that day.

My main point was that the nation saw the opportunity for SEC officials to right a wrong, it did not happen.

It is no secret any longer.

Yes, I would bet my house on the SEC West team winning the SEC championship if that team happens to be undefeated.

Mike Slive, I believe, is most crooked person in the SEC at this point. I have seen nothing from him to prove me otherwise. He was there today. Coincidence?

Clint Alan

Quote from: salebow on October 16, 2010, 08:48:29 pm
The officials won't be suspended, if they are, its for Slive's piece of sorry ass to save face. If they aren't suspended, they'll be heros to pos slive and probably given a raise.

I could care less IF they are suspended.......What does that prove? What good did it do last year?

Nothing.......Still the same, incompetent, lying refs the SEC fielded a year ago.

In the beginning, replay was made to correct wrongs. Today, replay rubbed salt in a wound, and we were made to like it.

Ray Zorback_1*

It was all it was cracked up to be. Offensive fireworks, no defense, and questionable officiating. It had it all.

This game featured more momentum swings than Pam Anderson has had bed partners. Arkansas lost, but the loss was earned by those in white & black stripes, not those in tiger stripes.

I am a member of the media in NWA, and hate criticizing officials. I draw the line though, when you have ample amount of time to review a call that was blown on the field.

I saw numerous replays of the fumble they called a touchdown, and the fumble by our running back. I am still in awe in how either of those two were upheld. It does not register in my mind.

I understand the thought of those who may believe that the game may have been lost in other aspects of the game. Coming from a person who played at a couple levels of football, believe me, those calls are hard to overcome.

One call can be dealt with. We came back, we had retaken the lead early in the 4th quarter. The last review though, that was a travesty. It was a mockery. It was a knife to the heart of not only the Razorback team, but its fan base, its administration. It was a middle finger to one of the last schools to join the conference back in 1992.

It was hard to stomach today. I felt sick, I saw worse officiating than Florida in 2009. What will the SEC do? Anything? What does it really mean to suspend officials? Is it a small sign that CBS admittedly said Mike Slive was in attendance? Does he care?

I am not making excuses, I am just telling you how it really is, in a players mind. Some stab wounds can be overcome early in a fight. When you have fought your guts out, and you get that one last stab wound to the back, it is going to take you down. That is what happened today.

Clint

+1

Steef

Quote from: Clint Alan on October 16, 2010, 08:49:48 pm
My main point was that the nation saw the opportunity for SEC officials to right a wrong, it did not happen.

It is no secret any longer.

Yes, I would bet my house on the SEC West team winning the SEC championship if that team happens to be undefeated.

Mike Slive, I believe, is most crooked person in the SEC at this point. I have seen nothing from him to prove me otherwise. He was there today. Coincidence?

The nation saw it for what it was last year. They (national media...and fanbases for that matter) acknowledged it for weeks.

And then forgot it, at least publicly. Bama had the Crystal and no one cared.

But I think there's an underlying resentment by everyone else in the BCS...to just keep the SEC out of the Crystal race this year.

Still...the officiating at Auburn's remaining games...is gonna be ugly. And it won't be lost on anyone how Auburn continued to run the score up, even after the game was thoroughly won.

Auburn got a 'w'....and lost any & all credibility as a program. 'Course, they're recruiting thugs these days, so they probably won't care.

dacskc

We will always be the red headed stepchild. They didn't want us then, and still don't. Right now, the Hogs are a just a pawn. Arkansas doesn't matter to them, so they will keep screwing us, and getting away with it. Last year, it could be said they just missed the calls...this time, not so much. I wonder if Petrino will say something? The fine would be worth it.

LSPRazorbac

Clint I'll go even further.

It is almost impossible for a team to recover mentally in a game after 2 horrible calls that created points for the other team, along with losing your starting QB, a KO return, and a blocked punt.

The fumble return for the TD was the straw that broke the razorback's back.  Mentally, I think it broke us after everything that had happened.

This loss will be hard to recover from.  I would expect practice to be lackluster and we could be in another fight next week.

We survive next week and I think we will be ok.

Razorbacks#1

Thanks Clint. I agree. What a contrast from the post by HiM ref: BP and nutt. Pretty much shows a fan how ignorant that guy (HiM) is.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

tennhawg

Clint this post makes too much sense. where are all the gus lovers , trolls, and petrino haters?

N HOG

Clint

Great post.

Now, if you are a member of the NWA media, can you find a way to hold someone's feet to the fire in trying to explain how Penn Wagers ruled OUT OF THE BLUE that the "call of the field was touchdown" when we clearly see the Line Judge right on the play throwing his bean bag and then signalling first down Arkansas?

That's what I want someone to have to answer.

HogCard

Guys I agree that the bad calls killed our momentun and may have actually changed the whole direction of the game, but to continue putting this loss on the officials is ridiculous.  How about putting a little blame on the fact we cannot stop anyone on defense or cover a kickoff or God help us, return a kickoff past our 12.  Oh yeah, and the refs blocked that punt also for Auburn.  Face it guys, as much as the refs really screwed up some calls, they did not beat us.

Now if you want to take away the 14 points the refs screwed up and then take away the kickoff return to our 1, and also the blocked punt, well now you have 28 points and we win.  I also seem to remember us being ahead 43-37 and they reeled off 28 straight points.  Oh yeah, that was the refs.

Clint Alan

Quote from: HogCard on October 16, 2010, 09:04:51 pm

Guys I agree that the bad calls killed our momentun and may have actually changed the whole direction of the game, but to continue putting this loss on the officials is ridiculous.  How about putting a little blame on the fact we cannot stop anyone on defense or cover a kickoff or God help us, return a kickoff past our 12.  Oh yeah, and the refs blocked that punt also for Auburn.  Face it guys, as much as the refs really screwed up some calls, they did not beat us.

Now if you want to take away the 14 points the refs screwed up and then take away the kickoff return to our 1, and also the blocked punt, well now you have 28 points and we win.  I also seem to remember us being ahead 43-37 and they reeled off 28 straight points.  Oh yeah, that was the refs.

You can take this with a grain of salt if you would like........and do not take this too personal.......But have you ever stood with a band of brothers on the sidelines and seen a look of WTH? in all of their eyes, when you know you have been wronged not once, but twice?

preacherhog

It's really more like a 21 point swing.  We were driving and Auburn hadn't stopped us at all in the 2nd half.  I have no problem assuming that we would have scored on that possession.  So, take away 7 from us, give 7 to the War Beagle, + the 7 the previous hosing, and that's 21 points via the zebras

Darren DeLoach

October 16, 2010, 09:11:57 pm #20 Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:17:44 pm by semohawg
Agree with the OP. The first 7 points given Auburn was a travesty, or worse-a lie. The ruling on the field was clearly a fumble as evident by the white bean bag and the signal of first down Arkansas. The second 7 given the Tigers was the killer. Forced us to use Wilson in a way that was not best for him. Now some from our fanbase think Petrino is worse than Nutt, some want to leave the conference, and others think we will not be all we can be until Robison is gone. Losing is always hard, but losing in a fashion that is near criminal is repulsive and brings out the worse in us. I do not see how any Auburn fan, player, or coach can celebrate this win. It is equivalent to the spoiled and wealthy big game "hunters" who go to a fixed kill, where they release a caged and drugged lion to be ambushed by the gloating "victors". These cowards then pose with their so called kill. I have never rooted for LSU IN MY LIFE. But I will be a rabid fan when they play these gloating "victors".
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

HogCard

Not taken personally, don't worry.  The look I saw was "what in the world do we have to do to stop them?  I am getting whipped on every play and do not have an answer" 

alohawg

ESPNU commentators just said there was no conclusive evidence to overturn the phantom TD, of course they never showed any angle but from behind the play. :puke: SO DISINGENUOUS.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Clint Alan

Quote from: HogCard on October 16, 2010, 09:13:23 pm
Not taken personally, don't worry.  The look I saw was "what in the world do we have to do to stop them?  I am getting whipped on every play and do not have an answer" 

We had just stopped them. What do you not get in that sentence?

mmhogs17

neal64ss

Quote from: N HOG on October 16, 2010, 09:02:19 pm
Great post.

Now, if you are a member of the NWA media, can you find a way to hold someone's feet to the fire in trying to explain how Penn Wagers ruled OUT OF THE BLUE that the "call of the field was touchdown" when we clearly see the Line Judge right on the play throwing his bean bag and then signalling first down Arkansas?

That's what I want someone to have to answer.

Here is the question I want answered.  Take away that touchdown and give us the ball and its worth so much more than the 7 points.  This is the turning point in the game, and we almost overcame it at that.

Razorfox

HamHands

I think Petrino needs to get the fine and blister the officials! The school should pony up the payment and  make this a statement.
One day at a time.

bigyellowdog

This was the worst officiated game I believe I have ever seen.

Hoggies

Quote from: steefhog on October 16, 2010, 08:46:08 pm

You are correct steef. But just imagine if we could run the ball and also have a good defense.

alohawg

Quote from: bigyellowdog on October 16, 2010, 09:18:32 pm
This was the worst officiated game I believe I have ever seen.

With replay which makes it inexcusable since there WAS enough evidence to get calls corrected.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

jdhogster

Quote from: Clint Alan on October 16, 2010, 08:46:43 pm
Was my main point to my post.

Those that have never played the game, do not honestly realize what two demoralizing calls like that can do to a team.

We handled the first one, we handled it better than I expected. The second one though, that one is tough.

The 2nd call......it makes it difficult to look at your teammate and tell him everything is going to be alright. It makes it hard to pat someone on the backside and say, "We will get them next time." At that point, you question the entire game. You question the relevancy of the officials. You lost interest in being there.

It is a fact of the game. The same thoughts went through our coaches minds.

We were beat after the second horrible call. Those calls were worth much more than 14 points.

Exactly.

A kid who hasn't experienced a mommentum change (from actually being on the field) like those experienced today would be expected to be seriously rattled on the next possession.  Tyler was and bad things happened.  Then the snowball was already a boulder/ref sized giant and only got bigger in the horrid 4th Qtr.

jdhogster

Quote from: HoginHeat on October 16, 2010, 09:18:12 pm
I think Petrino needs to get the fine and blister the officials! The school should pony up the payment and  make this a statement.

They must have really told him it would be bad (like stuff the public wouldn't know about) if he spoke out again. 

Screw 'em I say!  Bust them in the mouth anyway.  Heck, when we keep getting hit, we have to fight back.

hogginbama

Are officials protected from being interviewed. If not, and if I was a member of the media, I would request interviews from each of them and Mike Slive and ask specifically about those calls. See what type of answers they give or how hard they dodge the question.

If they had nothing to hide, they would do the interview.

Also, can we not petition the NCAA to investigate the SEC officiating? I am sure there would be some takers since there are many SEC haters out there.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Marshfieldhog

I also wish petrino would take the fine and come public and call out slive and the refs.

Rockhawg

Clint, some folks will never understand the power of Momentum and just how much it means in any sport.
Throw in game changing (penalty, bad call, bad spot)  play's by Official's and it is very deflating.
I don't know how this team will react to this. Last year they laid an egg in Oxford after a game was stolen from them.
I feel for them and hope they can somehow forget about this one and kick some butt next week.
Great Post and lets hope someone will hold their feet to the fire on this one.
GO SUCK AN EGG SLIVE, you pos!

RunningTigers10

Arkansas Fans, your guys played a great game.  Props to your backup quarterback.  If you do recall, the pass interference call on Demond Washington early in the game that led to a Razorback touchdown was also a bad call (the play Mallet supposedly got hurt on).  I understand your frustration at the officials, but please don't take this win away from Auburn. Our boys played hard.  And yes, those calls may have changed the outcome of the game, but, both teams were going to continue to score regardless. Cam Newton is extremely hard to stop (no one has yet) and our defense was not going to stop anyone today either.  I'm glad Auburn stepped up and finished the game strong.  Wish these penalties would not be such a giant issue.  Good luck to the Hogs for the rest of the season and hope the best for Mallet. War Damn Eagle!

forrest city joe

Clint
Clint your post is spot on. someone in power at the UofA needs to take a stand. do we want to be a doormat with no chance of winning a championship, for money? if money is all they care about, they need to say it.

Pigneous Rock

I pray to the honest football gods that LSU and Bama kick the living * out of Auburn.

I cannot believe that those guys can sleep at night knowing they screw kids out of their hard work. They should never cheat, I don't care what game it is or who is playing. Call it honestly you a-holes. I hope karma is real, cause if it is we have some serious goods coming our way down the road and 'Slime' and his crews have a sh*t storm coming.

hawgsav1

Quote from: RunningTigers10 on October 16, 2010, 09:36:38 pm
Arkansas Fans, your guys played a great game.  Props to your backup quarterback.  If you do recall, the pass interference call on Demond Washington early in the game that led to a Razorback touchdown was also a bad call (the play Mallet supposedly got hurt on).  I understand your frustration at the officials, but please don't take this win away from Auburn. Our boys played hard.  And yes, those calls may have changed the outcome of the game, but, both teams were going to continue to score regardless. Cam Newton is extremely hard to stop (no one has yet) and our defense was not going to stop anyone today either.  I'm glad Auburn stepped up and finished the game strong.  Wish these penalties would not be such a giant issue.  Good luck to the Hogs for the rest of the season and hope the best for Mallet. War Damn Eagle!

Yes, Washington got flagged for the PI call, but that's not a reviewable play, and there was SOME [albeit admittedly ticky tack] contact there, so you CAN justify it.  The fumble plays that you were generously helped out on were by the replay officials.  Their sole job is to get it right.  Considering that not a SINGLE ref signaled a TD on the McCaleb fumble, how the hell can you declare the "ruling on the field was a touchdown"?
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

CarolinaHog1176

Here's how we give up 60+ to Auburn:
1) Blocked punt which gives Auburn the ball at our 20 (Aubie scores)
2) T. Thomas forces a fumble at the goal line that NONE OF THE REFS CALLED A TOUCHDOWN (and the line judge even threw his beanbag and then pointed in our direction when Leon got tackled) (Aubie scores when the lead ref claims the call on the field was TD) (oh, and did I mention that the lead ref was the same one from the Florida game last year?)
3) Kick-off return for a touchdown (Aubie scores)
4) Kick-off return all the way to the 1 (Aubie scores)
5) B. Green's fumble (after his knee was down) (Aubie scores)
6) T. Wilson interception returned within the 5 (Aubie scores)

That's 6 TD's that either we or the refs gave Auburn.  42 points.

Special teams killed us today as well as our inability to stop a freakin' QB draw.  There were several times during the game today that our defensive players were still trying to figure out their assignments when the ball was being snapped.  That's not good coaching.  Dare I say our special teams coach and defensive coordinator need to get the axe after this debacle?
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Rockhawg

This was a first for me, Zebras giving a team 2 touchdowns in one game.
Seriously, anyone else ever seen that happen?

N HOG

(the play Mallet supposedly got hurt on). 

Are you referring to the horse-collar no call right in front of the inimitable Penn Wagers -- the Penn Wagers who said the ruling on the field is a touchdown, when NO ONE ruled it?

Corganist

Arkansas Fans, your guys played a great game.  Props to your backup quarterback.  If you do recall, the pass interference call on Demond Washington early in the game that led to a Razorback touchdown was also a bad call 

No it wasn't. He clearly hooked him. It's not even in the same universe as the bad calls against us.

Clint Alan

Quote from: N HOG on October 16, 2010, 09:44:57 pm
Are you referring to the horse-collar no call right in front of the inimitable Penn Wagers -- the Penn Wagers who said the ruling on the field is a touchdown, when NO ONE ruled it?

I may be off, but I do not think I am......It is actually a legal tackle, as long as you are inside the tackle box.....

Like I said, I could be wrong......but do not think I am

dacskc

Not taking anything away from you guys. Cam Newton is a beast. Would we have won? Maybe not. But when it happened to us last year, and then happened again in a similar sort of game, with reviewable plays that even the announcers agreed with, it makes it hard to swallow. There are always bad calls in games, but those two were beyond the pale.

Auburn's a good team. You didn't need the extra help.

Rockhawg

We are a Defensive Coordinator away from being a National Power, refs be damed!
Our time is coming and it's coming soon.

RunningTigers10

I understand your disgust with the calls, but is it really these 18-23 year old KIDS faults because of the officials decisions? Get mad at the officials, not Auburn.  Auburn may very well have lost to Kentucky last week because of two horrible calls, granted, they weren't reviewable, but Arkansas will get their breaks as the season progresses.  Let our KIDS enjoy this hard-fought victory regardless of the officials decisions (they can't help the calls on the field.)  Just because Verne and Gary say something, don't trust what they have to say.  The officials met right after the Mario Fannin "touchdown" and agreed it was a touchdown.  Therefore, the call stood.  There was no video evidence(beyond reasonable doubt----per SEC rules,) of there being a fumble. Furthermore, I hate it has to be that way but it is a part of football.  Officials make bad calls, sometimes wrong calls, and the KIDS can not help what the zebras come up with in the end. Hope you Hogs that visited the Plains today were treated well by Auburn and do not dwell on this, you guys will not lose another game. 

hogoffate

The SEC will do nothing to that a$$clown Penn Wagers. He is the "dean" of SEC officials.  Petrino should go off on them.  Razorback foundation should pay the fine if there is one.  Apparently the SEC has no shame.