Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Direction of the Field at Cowboys Stadium

Started by hoginator, October 09, 2010, 10:30:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoginator

has a lot to do with the "Sun" issue. I've noticed lots of posts about it, and was wondering why there was so much sunlight right in the eyes of the players. Here's why:

Most football fields run north to south. Previously, the only NFL field to run East to West is in Detroit. Take a look at they direction of the field at Cowboy Stadium. The Sun sets in the West Southwest at this time of year, allowing a pretty direct shot down the field...

Most domes don't have windows. Future domes with windows should have fields that run North to South...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

DukeOfPork

Well, yeah, this is obvious.  Nobody runs a stadium east-west.

It is absolutely shocking that for $1.3 billion, they hadn't considered this problem.  It's like the punters hitting the video board; how could they not have investigated this?

moses_007

They need a huge curtain over those west windows.  I noticed it bothered both teams... and the sun was right in Mallett's face.

Hoggish1

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2010, 10:36:17 pm
They need a huge curtain over those west windows.  I noticed it bothered both teams... and the sun was right in Mallett's face.

Tear it down and build it right. lmao

WxHog

Probably overlooked by Jerry and his staff.   Nothing will probably be done until it costs the Cowboys a game in the 3pm time slot.   

The good news is that next season it should be an evening game again (when Arkansas is the home team again and the SEC has the rights to the game, thus likely shown on either ESPN or ESPN2).   

DukeOfPork

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2010, 10:36:17 pm

Aikman says they have a curtain.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/25/new-cowboys-stadium-controversy/

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

hoginator

They just need to put the material from "Transition" lenses on the windows so they'll get darker when the sun hits them... 8)

bubbafromSECF

There is a curtain.

To why they didnt build n/s, Because it's cheaper on cooling with the wind coming through. Just Ky guess.

Tejano Jawg

Yeah, I'd call that a major design flaw. With all the planning this stadium required, how could everyone (mainly the architects) have missed this?

The other thing is...most big stadiums have closed endzone seats, which are nearly as tall as the highest points (think about our south endzone). So even if the stadium had faulty east-west orientation, once the sun got really bad (low), it would have dropped below the solid wall of seats. Cowboys Stadium endzone seating is full of holes—smaller grandstand sections, concourses and catwalks. The sun barely gets blocked at all.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

hoginator

The only games it might be a problem for the Cowboys are games with a 3pm start...

Root66

Reminded me of the old Houston Astrodome. They had to paint the clear glass panels black so they could see a fly ball in that place.

PigPusher

If you drive around the stadium as we did several weeks ago there is plenty of room to have oriented the stadium properly. 
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

hoginator

Quote from: PigPusher on October 09, 2010, 11:51:32 pm
If you drive around the stadium as we did several weeks ago there is plenty of room to have oriented the stadium properly. 
Yes, it's not even a true East/West layout. Things that make you go hmmm...

Justifiable Hogicide

rpmflash

Quote from: hoginator on October 09, 2010, 11:00:34 pm
The only games it might be a problem for the Cowboys are games with a 3pm start...

I guess we will find out later today.  The Cowboys and Titans play @ 3:15.

hoginator

Quote from: rpmflash on October 10, 2010, 01:37:25 am
I guess we will find out later today.  The Cowboys and Titans play @ 3:15.
Was sunlight an issue after 5pm? On the road and didn't get to watch the game...

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hoginator on October 09, 2010, 10:30:04 pm
has a lot to do with the "Sun" issue. I've noticed lots of posts about it, and was wondering why there was so much sunlight right in the eyes of the players. Here's why:

Most football fields run north to south. Previously, the only NFL field to run East to West is in Detroit. Take a look at they direction of the field at Cowboy Stadium. The Sun sets in the West Southwest at this time of year, allowing a pretty direct shot down the field...

Most domes don't have windows. Future domes with windows should have fields that run North to South...

LOL, the sun always rises in the east and sets in the west. Not just "this time of year".

hoginator

October 10, 2010, 07:54:11 pm #20 Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:57:13 pm by hoginator
Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 10, 2010, 07:44:31 pm
LOL, the sun always rises in the east and sets in the west. Not just "this time of year".
Well, that's why I put West Southwest "at this time of year." There is a difference. The Sun sets at higher latitudes in the summer and lower latitudes in the winter. Look at the map. It would mean DIRECT sunlight going down the field like what occurred in the game yesterday. Happy to clear it up some reading comprehension and a little Sun setting info for you...  :P

sigpooie

Hey is that the same Jerry that stole all the utility money back in the 70s ?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson