Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Hog Call and Crowd Noise - AKA Let's Weaponize the Hog Call

Started by HogsWellThenEndsWell, September 21, 2010, 01:08:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogsWellThenEndsWell

September 21, 2010, 01:08:21 pm Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:28:42 pm by HogsWellThenEndsWell
Here in Memphis I have to listen to a lot of other SEC School Fans.  One thing that a good friend of mine (Mississippi State Fan) said to me when discussing the "Cow Bell" was that "70,000 hog fans calling the Hogs was much more distracting than any of the Cow Bells that they bring out"-Now on to my point, please don't discuss the "Cow Bell Thing as it would be off topic"

It is against the rules for a cheer to be announced over the loud speaker, with that being said, I usually find myself yelling at the top of my lungs on big plays were the opposing team would be on offense, as most crowds with a high "Football IQ do"

Now on to the real obvious point - If we as a crowd would simply just continuously call the hogs while the other opponent is on offense it would pretty distracting to the opposing team.  Now it is probably wishful thinking on my part, but I would absolutely love it if we could do that for the Bama game.  (and it might just be a little easier on my vocal cords than yelling AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH at the top of my lungs for 30 seconds a time.

Go Hogs Beat Bama!

WPS,

HogsWell
LIVE! Do not just Exist!!

alaskanstorm

I brought this up this past summer.  While our defense is on the field a Woo or Awoo it is annoying but as long as it is noise who cares, should start in the stands as the opposing team qb trys to get the play in and continually gets louder until the snap and then PIG SOOOIIIEEE.  repeat after each defensive play.  There were a few who like the idea; however,  there were those who said that would diminish the importance of the hog call and others who said i'm not gonna lose my voice calling the hogs 50 times a game.  I however agree with u.

HogFan1st

any noise that distracts the offense and pumps up the defense is a good thing....i can't think of a cooler school "cheer" than the hog call (maybe i'm biased)...i always love hearing it
76-72...i remember it like it was yesterday...Charlotte, NC 1994

Dcace83

My favorite thing is when we decide to go for it on 4th down and our fans yell at the top of their lungs and cheer even though RM and every other player is trying to calm them down and they cheer louder.
And if I had a gun, with two bullets, and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice. -Michael Scott

<--- I brought that avatar to Hogville. It's win I know.

SteveInArk

September 21, 2010, 01:54:47 pm #4 Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 01:57:26 pm by SteveInArk
Calling the Hogs for every defensive play probably wouldn't sell, not even with the most ferocious fans.  Probably be feeble ones, at best.  :-\

However, calling it every time the other team takes possession and is sending out their offense, could pump our defense.  Might take away any sting too, if the change of possession was not the result of a Hog score!   :razorback:

(And none of that Werewolves of London sounding bull.)

- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

HogsWellThenEndsWell

So maybe not EVERY Hogs Defensive Play, but on big plays and especially early in the game when we are trying to get Bama to commit silly penalties due to crowd noise.

WPS,
HogsWell

Simple Swineman

Quote from: alaskanstorm on September 21, 2010, 01:39:53 pm
I brought this up this past summer.  While our defense is on the field a Woo or Awoo it is annoying but as long as it is noise who cares, should start in the stands as the opposing team qb trys to get the play in and continually gets louder until the snap and then PIG SOOOIIIEEE.  repeat after each defensive play.  There were a few who like the idea; however,  there were those who said that would diminish the importance of the hog call and others who said i'm not gonna lose my voice calling the hogs 50 times a game.  I however agree with u.

This should be done EVERY 3rd down.

HogsWellThenEndsWell

I am good with something more than nothing, Every 3rd down would be better than AHHHHHGH in my opinion anyway.

SultanofSwine

Quote from: Simple Swineman on September 21, 2010, 02:12:30 pm

This ^^^^^^^^

UA students, are you paying attention????

Pig in the Pokey

I know one thing. This once or twice a game Hog Calling has got to stop. It should be more like a dozen times per game.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Simple Swineman

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on September 21, 2010, 02:14:00 pm
I am good with something more than nothing, Every 3rd down would be better than AHHHHHGH in my opinion anyway.

The thing is only about half of the people scream "AHHHHHHHHH." Probably more like about 1/4 of the people. But if we did the WOOOOOOOOO pig sooie thing then almost everybody would participate. It would be much, much louder than just screaming.

alaskanstorm

You could also break it up on second down and chant Bequette, Bequette repeatedly. Of course on 4th down do whatever you want just go bat chizt crazy.

wholehog92

My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Jet Sweep Hog

Quote from: Simple Swineman on September 21, 2010, 02:12:30 pm

We need to get twelve men on the field every chance we get but, The Hog Call on third downs would be cool.
The role of government is protecting natural rights, not bestowing them.

" ... to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
-- George Mason

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: Pig in the Poke on September 21, 2010, 02:19:19 pm
I know one thing. This once or twice a game Hog Calling has got to stop. It should be more like a dozen times per game.

I agree 100% - I have always loved the Hog Call, I just have never thought of it as a WEAPON!!

We certainly haven't been using it as a WEAPON lately, and since "Let's Stand Up and CALL THOSE HOGS!" over the loud speaker is not allowed by rules, I was just trying to figure out a way we could get it going more and in appropriate times during the game.

I just don't know how to do that by myself, but there are some pretty creative Hog Fans on here, last I checked anyway.

WPS.
HogsWell

HogsWellThenEndsWell

How would one get "Weaponize the Hog Call" out before a game like this?

It can't hurt!

HogsWell

SultanofSwine

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on September 21, 2010, 02:26:09 pm
How would one get "Weaponize the Hog Call" out before a game like this?

It can't hurt!

HogsWell

Tell the Band and the students. Put the Hog signal out on the facebooks and get this thang going.

Hawginthecovers

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on September 21, 2010, 02:14:00 pm

Students,  please pay attention to this.  You could help start this tradition for third downs.  The stadium could follow your lead and this could start a tradition at Arkansas.  Pig Sooiieee right when the ball is snapped.  Make it "special". :P

Simple Swineman

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on September 21, 2010, 02:24:32 pm
I agree 100% - I have always loved the Hog Call, I just have never thought of it as a WEAPON!!

We certainly haven't been using it as a WEAPON lately, and since "Let's Stand Up and CALL THOSE HOGS!" over the loud speaker is not allowed by rules, I was just trying to figure out a way we could get it going more and in appropriate times during the game.

I just don't know how to do that by myself, but there are some pretty creative Hog Fans on here, last I checked anyway.

WPS.
HogsWell

Tons of stadiums do it. Every third down the PA announcer just says in a slow, loud voice... "It's THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDD DOWN." Then the crowd knows to react. It is legal for them to do that.

The Georgia PA announcer did it very well. Every time we had a third down the announcer would basically yell "IT'S ARKANSAS BALL ON THE 35 YARD LINE AND IT'S THIRD DOWN AND 4.!!!!" Then the crowd would go nutts. We could do something similar and then break into the hog call thing.

James R

Quote from: SultanofSwine on September 21, 2010, 02:29:41 pm
Tell the Band and the students. Put the Hog signal out on the facebooks and get this thang going.
this.
student section and band are the only somewhat aggregated groups large enough to get the call rolling.
get one of them to just make a facebook fan page titled 'hog call and a shot of whiskey every defensive 3rd down'

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Simple Swineman

Quote from: James Rouse on September 21, 2010, 02:33:06 pm
this.
student section and band are the only somewhat aggregated groups large enough to get the call rolling.
get one of them to just make a facebook fan page titled 'hog call and a shot of whiskey every defensive 3rd down'

My suggestion would be that on every third down the band could have some sort of signal, maybe just 3 loud blasts from the horns, then everybody would break into the "WOOOOOOO" until the ball is snapped for the "Pig Sooie!" This would actually get the band somewhat involved in firing up the crowd.

CarolinaSwine

In Tuscaloosa the PA simply says, "It's 3rd down..." and a loud chime

At Auburn, they play Eye of the Tiger and shut it down as teh offense breaks the huddle

At GA, they would announce what yard line the ball was on and that it was 3rd down

At SC, the rooster crows

All of these things send the home crowd into a frenzy.  Why shouldn't our hog call be more weaponized to disrupt the offense?

Jet Sweep Hog

The role of government is protecting natural rights, not bestowing them.

" ... to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
-- George Mason

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: Simple Swineman on September 21, 2010, 02:40:19 pm
My suggestion would be that on every third down the band could have some sort of signal, maybe just 3 loud blasts from the horns, then everybody would break into the "WOOOOOOO" until the ball is snapped for the "Pig Sooie!" This would actually get the band somewhat involved in firing up the crowd.

This is exactly how I imagined that it would be done.

I just called the University Marketing Arm (I already had spoken to them recently / Daughter is a Jr. Razorback, etc)

They are going to pass it up the chain, but don't feel like they could get it done by this weekend, I personally think they might be overcomplicating it a bit.

I was given the email addresses of the Band Director and Cheer Coordinator as follows:

I sent this email to them, and copied the entire Football Coaching Staff. I don't have time to do much more than that, but if anyone else wants to send something up similar then feel free.

Subject:Let's WEAPONIZE the Hog Call on our opponents 3rd down situations!

Hello Mrs. Nail and Dr. Knighten,

As a Razorback fan since birth I have always loved the Hog Call.  In a recent conversation with a Mississippi  State Graduate, I was simply stating that the MSU  Cowbells were a weapon that distracted other teams.  His rebuttal was simply that the Hog Call was even a bigger weapon.  I agreed, but we as a Fan Base/Band/Cheer group, have not effectively "Weaponized" it.

While it is now illegal to announce "Let's Stand Up and Call those Hogs" over the loud speaker I would propose that we utilize our Hog Call and get our queue much like other SEC teams do, for example:

At Auburn, they play Eye of the Tiger and shut it down as teh offense breaks the huddle

At GA, they would announce what yard line the ball was on and that it was 3rd down

At SC, the rooster crows

What is stopping us from doing something very similar over the loud speaker, that would then trigger The Hog Call.

In my many years of attending the Razorback games, I have always had the same "AHHHGGHHH" to shout while our opponents are in a 3rd down situation, I would much rather be Calling the Hogs in that situation exactly the way we do it on Kick Offs.

This could be a difference in not just this game coming up, but in EVERY home game played in Razorback Stadium!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I look forward to your leadership to see if this is possible!

HogsWell

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on September 21, 2010, 01:08:21 pm
Here in Memphis I have to listen to a lot of other SEC School Fans. 

Here in Memphis I have to listen to a lot about UoM Basketball.  It smells like corndogs here.
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

SultanofSwine

Simple Swineman

I'm afraid that if it is put in the hands of university officials to organize then it will never happen. Like you said, they try to overcomplicate things.

THE STUDENTS NEED TO TAKE OWNERSHIP OF THIS!!!

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: Dcace83 on September 21, 2010, 01:54:32 pm
My favorite thing is when we decide to go for it on 4th down and our fans yell at the top of their lungs and cheer even though RM and every other player is trying to calm them down and they cheer louder.

JESUS CHRIST, I thought it was only me who THOUGHT people were stupid and didnt know when you yell and when to SHUT THE @$#@ up.

ultimatelakebum

Quote from: wholehog92 on September 21, 2010, 02:21:47 pm
I like the every 3rd down idea.

I love this.  It needs to be stickied.

also, we need to get out that when we have the ball to BE QUIET...it has to be simple for the fan base to understand...

HOGS = QUIET
BAMA = LOUD

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: SultanofSwine on September 21, 2010, 02:18:37 pm
This ^^^^^^^^

UA students, are you paying attention????

No they are doing Keg Stands and can not be disturbed

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: ultimatelakebum on September 21, 2010, 03:34:42 pm
I love this.  It needs to be stickied.

also, we need to get out that when we have the ball to BE QUIET...it has to be simple for the fan base to understand...

HOGS = QUIET
BAMA = LOUD

I agree, even a low Football Fan IQ should be able to get this.

I would love it if a mod would sticky this, it would at least get the word out a little more.

I am not sure what else could be done, but anyone (STUDENT SECTION!) who wants to take this on as a task would only not only be helping our football team be more successful, it would start a tradition that all Razorback Fans would be proud of!

Thanks for everyone who as kept this thread going.

WOOOOOOOOOOOO Pig Sooie!!!

HogsWell

RedRock

Let's do something.  I mean, crap, we can make a difference with our noise.  I like the idea of a continuous hog call.

The Boar War

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on September 21, 2010, 03:27:06 pm

Subject:Let's WEAPONIZE the Hog Call on our opponents 3rd
down situations!

Hello Mrs. Nail and Dr. Knighten,

As a Razorback fan since birth I have always loved the Hog Call.  In a recent conversation with a Mississippi  State Graduate, I was simply stating that the MSU  Cowbells were a weapon that distracted other teams.  His rebuttal was simply that the Hog Call was even a bigger weapon.  I agreed, but we as a Fan Base/Band/Cheer group, have not effectively “Weaponized” it.

While it is now illegal to announce “Let’s Stand Up and Call those Hogs” over the loud speaker I would propose that we utilize our Hog Call and get our queue much like other SEC teams do, for example:

At SC, the rooster crows

What is stopping us from doing something very similar over the loud speaker, that would then trigger The Hog Call.

In my many years of attending the Razorback games, I have always had the same “AHHHGGHHH” to shout while our opponents are in a 3rd down situation, I would much rather be Calling the Hogs in that situation exactly the way we do it on Kick Offs.

This could be a difference in not just this game coming up, but in EVERY home game played in Razorback Stadium!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I look forward to your leadership to see if this is possible!

HogsWell

I love the idea but you should be prepared for a form letter.  It's become clear that the coordinators are happy with the atmosphere as it is.  Numerous attempts to change have been met with little to no response.  Good luck.   

HogScoutMaster

maybe call some radio stations, shoe polish some cars POST signs outside the stadium HELL THERE is always FACEBOOK

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Oh I am fully prepared for a form letter, however I thought I would put forth a little effort and at least get the idea out there.

I posted this on my FaceBook, and attached an Image (Too many words to make it a status) on my profile as well.

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: DewUar88 on September 21, 2010, 03:51:35 pm
maybe call some radio stations, shoe polish some cars POST signs outside the stadium HELL THERE is always FACEBOOK

I will call in to Drive Time and suggest it to them to get the word out.  I posted the image attatched above to my Facebook status, if everyone else could do the same then maybe it would catch on.

As far as shoe polish, signs etc, well I wouldn't be able to pull that one off as I am in Pittsburgh thru Thursday, Memphis on Friday, then headed to The Hill!

Thanks again for any help!

HogsWell

clew

Pure as the dawn

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Ok also emailed Randy and Rick @ DTS, hopefully they give it a little air time.

HogsWellThenEndsWell

BroyledNutts

You know guys, KNWA up here in Fayetteville is going to put on their own version of CGD on Saturday AM from the stadium, and it would be really easy to pass this idea along to the folks involved with the program to promote during the pregame broadcast....

Just saying....

BroyledNutts

How would the logistics of this work? Only one set of WOO PIG before the down is played? I don't think there's enough time between downs to do the full monty....

Simple Swineman

Quote from: BroyledNutts on September 21, 2010, 04:12:47 pm
How would the logistics of this work? Only one set of WOO PIG before the down is played? I don't think there's enough time between downs to do the full monty....

Not the full thing. Do it just like we do the kickoffs.

When the team is in the huddle/walking up to the line and calling audibles all they hear is "Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo." When the ball is snapped... "Pig Sooie!"

SteveInArk

Sounds good... but make sure everyone knows we mean DEFENSIVE 3rd downs!
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

BassinHawg

"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

SteveInArk

If enough people start using "WOOOOOOOOO" until their 3rd down snap and a big "PIG SOOIE"; by the end of the game, everyone going "AAAARRGGHH" would get the idea and switchover.  Bet the people who get mad when I yell in their ears will take it up too.   :)

Good stuff, Hogswell.

HogYouVeryMuch

Quote from: SteveInArk on September 21, 2010, 01:54:47 pm
Calling the Hogs for every defensive play probably wouldn't sell, not even with the most ferocious fans.  Probably be feeble ones, at best.  :-\

However, calling it every time the other team takes possession and is sending out their offense, could pump our defense.  Might take away any sting too, if the change of possession was not the result of a Hog score!   :razorback:

(And none of that Werewolves of London sounding bull.)

We do this to help prepare for the away games....    Worked at Georgia.

Simple Swineman

Quote from: SteveInArk on September 21, 2010, 04:38:04 pm
If enough people start using "WOOOOOOOOO" until their 3rd down snap and a big "PIG SOOIE"; by the end of the game, everyone going "AAAARRGGHH" would get the idea and switchover.  Bet the people who get mad when I yell in their ears will take it up too.   :)

Good stuff, Hogswell.

That's the best part. All hog fans like to call the hogs, but not everyone likes to "AAAARRGGHH." This will get everyone involved and be much louder. Has the potential to be a really cool, unique tradition.

SultanofSwine

Quote from: Simple Swineman on September 21, 2010, 04:50:37 pm
That's the best part. All hog fans like to call the hogs, but not everyone likes to "AAAARRGGHH." This will get everyone involved and be much louder. Has the potential to be a really cool, unique tradition.

I imagine it would light a fire under the defense too.

HogsWellThenEndsWell