Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Commit WR Demetrius Dean Now a Tight End?

Started by ThrillaHog, May 11, 2010, 04:44:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThrillaHog

southeasthog

Thrilla, have you looked at Dean's pic on there? He is going to eat his way to defensive end if he's not careful.

Jokes aside, Brandon Allen said after he committed that he was going to work with him to try and help get and keep the weight down for their senior season.

heatmiser

Arkansas Razorbacks

regi

razorback44

From the day he committed two years ago it has been said that he would be a TE in college. I don't see why this is a suprise to anyone?
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

cerdoman

When D. J. graduates the Hogs will not miss a beat with Dean coming in.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: cerdoman on May 11, 2010, 08:51:51 pm
I was thinking the same thing. 

SEdrhawg

This guy committed as a 10th grader right?  Which means CBP had to offer him as a sophomore.  Considering that, did CBP offer him assuming he would be a WR or was he offered on the basis of eventually "growing" into a TE frame.  If Petrino was able to look into his crystal ball 3-4 years in advance and see that this kid would grow this much that explains why he gets paid millions a year to do this.

fsmhogfan

I saw Fayetteville play Southside last year. Dean was a good possession receiver, made some tough catches in traffic. However, he looked like an athletic DT to me. Guess he has too good of hands for defense. When he walked by me at half time I figured he was every bit of 6'3" and no way was he only 245. More like 265. No growing necessary for TE, maybe just strength.

Beaverfever

Yeah he seems very similar to dj Williams in measurables..well the high school versions at least. I like that thought.  That's probably the idea.

Beaverfever

Who knows.  Maybe this kid will end up like Jason peters.

NorthshoreBoar

May 12, 2010, 08:36:45 am #12 Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:38:50 am by BoaredatWork
No disrespect to Dean, but he hasn't even stepped on campus yet...its too early to say we won't miss a beat when DJ is gone.  DJ was grossly under-utilized last year and is imo the best TE in the SEC. Hopefully Dean will be as good, but I don't want to count my chickens too early.  Remember when we worried that Anthony Leon would be so good that he might leave after 1 season (a la pierre paul). Once again, not trying to be a downer...just a realist. DJ is a proven stud, Dean is an unproven stud.
A good man can live a lie for only so long before he becomes just a man. - Jason Whitlock

tbhogfan

Dean projects right now as a TE.   He has good size, great hands, and excellent moves.  This is a young man who stands to benefit greatly from our nutrition and conditioning program   There has also been talk of trying him on the DL if his weight becomes an issue at TE.

I think that right now projecting us to not lose a step from the best TE in the SEC is premature, but Dean definitely has all the tools to be a very successful SEC football player.
Go Hogs!

zwhogfan

Quote from: tbhogfan on May 12, 2010, 09:21:54 am
Dean projects right now as a TE.   He has good size, great hands, and excellent moves.  This is a young man who stands to benefit greatly from our nutrition and conditioning program   There has also been talk of trying him on the DL if his weight becomes an issue at TE.

I think that right now projecting us to not lose a step from the best TE in the SEC is premature, but Dean definitely has all the tools to be a very successful SEC football player.

Well said

southeasthog

Quote from: cerdoman on May 11, 2010, 08:51:51 pm
Chris Gragg will have a lot to say about that. He will be a redshirt freshman this season and by all reports is going to be VERY good.

Brewerfan10

Quote from: southeasthog on May 12, 2010, 05:40:05 pm
Chris Gragg will have a lot to say about that. He will be a redshirt freshman this season and by all reports is going to be VERY good.

RS Soph

southeasthog

heathtits

He'll be fine. DJ was a porker without any definition when he got here. Look at him now.

Dean has it all, and should easily be able to get his 40 to the 4.5 range which is fine for any TE.