Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Colin Cowherd is an Idiot...

Started by mmhogs17, March 26, 2010, 03:35:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhogs17

He says Mid Major teams that upset the big teams are ruining the NCAA Tournament. How stupid is that... who wants to see 4 #1 seeds in the Final Four its boring.

dhornjr1

Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 26, 2010, 03:35:59 pm
He says Mid Major teams that upset the big teams are ruining the NCAA Tournament. How stupid is that... who wants to see 4 #1 seeds in the Final Four its boring.

I can proudly say that I have never listened to more than about five consective minutes of Colin Cowherd. I could just feel myself getting dumber so I had to quickly change the station.

alohawg

This tourney has been AWESOME! He IS an idiot of epic proportions. Go mid-majors!
That being said, it looks at this point that Kentucky is just on another level and will not be beat.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

99toLife

I just wish Arkansas was a good as a Mid-Major!  ;)

ua_hogs

You disagree with someone, thus they are an idiot?

I disagree with you, thus you are an ...

Lakerhog

Isn't that kind of the point of the tourney, to prove who the best team is? If you can't beat the smaller team, you have no business winning the championship.

3BoarsDown

He's just pissed because he always preaches that unless you are a #4 seed or higher you have no shot in the Tourney.

He points it out over and over.

thirtythree

It is his opinion, but I disagree with it. I think this has been a fantastic tournament. I wish Cornell would have won. That would have been a great cindarella story.

bellavistamike

I heard that portion of the show. One of the points he made was that when the top seeds aren't in the late rounds following upsets, the ratings drop because fewer people watch teams they don't know. Cowherd explained he looks at the ratings and sees the facts of the number of people watching games. I beleive that was the point he was trying to make.

Rainmaker203

March 26, 2010, 04:05:00 pm #9 Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:08:07 pm by Rainmaker203
Quote from: ua_hogs on March 26, 2010, 03:46:16 pm

Cowherd is an idiot when it comes to college bball, not because of that comment, but because he openly admits during the regular season he doesn't follow the sport.  Must be nice to be paid to analyze a sport you know almost nothing about.

DoubleJ

Quote from: ua_hogs on March 26, 2010, 03:46:16 pm

You gotta get a rise out of someone, right?

LibraryHog

The fact that he made someone so mad to post something on a message board proves why his show will live on.

SupaCrawf

You want upsets in the first 2 rounds, but a St. Mary's / Purdue title game?  Naw, give me Kentucky / Duke.
I'm kind of a big deal.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: LibraryHog on March 26, 2010, 04:16:16 pm
The fact that he made someone so mad to post something on a message board proves why his show will live on.

Yep. Ratings, ratings, ratings..

Colin has never pulled for the underdog. That's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

But, he is right in that the usual big schools travel better and sell more tickets on most occasions. It's a money-making venture and UK, KU, Syracuse, etc will generate more dollars than Northern Iowa, Cornell, Butler etc.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mmhogs17

Quote from: SupaCrawf on March 26, 2010, 04:18:33 pm
You want upsets in the first 2 rounds, but a St. Mary's / Purdue title game?  Naw, give me Kentucky / Duke.

Wow i didn't know Kentucky and Duke could play in the title game  ::)

SupaCrawf

Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 26, 2010, 04:20:45 pm
Wow i didn't know Kentucky and Duke could play in the title game  ::)
Speaking in generalities here.  Would you like to watch an NC featuring 2 mid-majors?  Or, would you prefer 2 #1 seeds? 
I'm kind of a big deal.

cdclark09

Exactly... I feel the same way. 

Some of the die hard college bb fans may disagree but to the casual sports fan (which uncountably out number the die hard fans)... they don't want to see Butler in the F4.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: cdclark09 on March 26, 2010, 04:24:34 pm
Exactly... I feel the same way. 

Some of the die hard college bb fans may disagree but to the casual sports fan (which uncountably out number the die hard fans)... they don't want to see Butler in the F4.

Exactly. It's the same reason that the World Series gets much better TV ratings when the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cardinals are there, and not the Marlins, Rockies, or Tampa Bay.

It's the same reason the Super Bowl is better with the Cowboys, Giants, or Colts and not the Cardinals, Jaguars, or Ravens.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jfamedapacman

He's not paid to analyze the sport. He's paid to give opinions about relevant topics. And he forms his opinions based on the research he and/or his team compiles own their own, not from the 15 minutes of the Morning Rush he listens to on the way to work. If you feel stupid when you listen to him, it's probably because he uses things that you don't comprehend- like any math above the 6th grade level or the word "fiscal."

DoubleJ

Quote from: jfamedapacman on March 26, 2010, 04:47:43 pm
He's not paid to analyze the sport. He's paid to give opinions about relevant topics. And he forms his opinions based on the research he and/or his team compiles own their own, not from the 15 minutes of the Morning Rush he listens to on the way to work. If you feel stupid when you listen to him, it's probably because he uses things that you don't comprehend- like any math above the 6th grade level or the word "fiscal."

Congrats on your first post.  +1

ImMcLovin

like any math above the 6th grade level or the word "fiscal."

I thought the show was called "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" No wonder I don't like the IDIOT!!

cdclark09

Quote from: DoubleJ on March 26, 2010, 04:49:54 pm
Congrats on your first post.  +1
Ditto this

J_Ville_Devils_Den

I'll Take a Kentucky/Duke vs a mid major every 10 years or so.  When was the last time a true cinderella made it to a finals?  The journey to, is usually better than the destination.
Member Number:  #329

Major Payne: Do not attempt to valid my authority. I have eight weeks to turn you gaggling maggots into a well-discipline cadet unit. From this day forward your sorry asses belong to me. You will not eat, sleep, drink, blow your nose or dig in your buts without my say so. Know this, killing is my business, ladies, and business is good.

Niels Boar

Perception meet reality.  The teams that play the best advance.  That's why the NCAAT is compelling, not the names on the jerseys.  BS about polls, recruiting rankings, conference rankings, NBA potential, etc. gets left at the door.

Lando Calrissian

Best sports talk show on the radio.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Groundpounder

Quote from: thirtythree on March 26, 2010, 03:59:13 pm
It is his opinion, but I disagree with it. I think this has been a fantastic tournament. I wish Cornell would have won. That would have been a great cindarella story.

same here thirtythree. I was pulling for cornell & Xavier last night. I would love to see WV put a beatdown on Kentucky. I'm not a calipari fan. He should go to the NBA where all of the teams pay their players. I can't believe the NCAA doesn't follow him from school to school looking for dirt but we all know that they would never do that to Kentucky.

I agree with what most have said, I like seeing the mid-majors putting the topdogs in their place
He who runs against time has an adversary not subject to casualties.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.". Teddy Roosevelt

RedRock

Colin Cowherd is ruining sports talk radio for the legitimately good show hosts.  He is a constant suck up to Ohio State, Texas, USC and Duke sports.  I do not listen to him.

trollhog

For ratings purposes Cowherd is right.  Its the same as baseball needing the Yankees and Red Sox to be good.  Nobody knows about St. Marys and as exciting as it is this year in two weeks nobody will care.
WPS!

dhornjr1

Seriously? He's smart because he uses the word "fiscal"?

Holy Christ.

Keep listening to him buddy. As H. L. Mencken said, no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: RedRock on March 26, 2010, 06:08:56 pm
Colin Cowherd is ruining sports talk radio for the legitimately good show hosts.  He is a constant suck up to Ohio State, Texas, USC and Duke sports.  I do not listen to him.

Well, there's your problem.

How is he ruining someone else's show? 

pigture perfect

I maybe the odd one, but I'd rather watch a true underdog win than two programs like Duke and Kentucky go after it. When UTEP beat UK in the sixties it made history for more than just an all black team beating the white team. It was an underdog storyfirst and foremost.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

thirtythree

I guess you just brought the wood. +1.

Hog Milanese

All I know is basketball is boring now. What the heck is up with games where they score 20 points in a half?

Boring.

LibraryHog

Quote from: Hog Milanese on March 26, 2010, 10:22:10 pm
All I know is basketball is boring now. What the heck is up with games where they score 20 points in a half?

Boring.

ST Marys scored 17 in the first half of a sweet 16 game.  how embarrassing!!!!
"FIRE <insert coach's name>"!!!!!!

Rbill

I don't find myself disagreeing with Colin that often, but his tendency to form an opinion and then hammer it home for the next 2 hours over and over again makes me want to hit myself in the head with a hammer if i'm on the road for a while. You know what? I agree, move on. No need for another analogy.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Rbill on March 26, 2010, 10:30:35 pm
I don't find myself disagreeing with Colin that often, but his tendency to form an opinion and then hammer it home for the next 2 hours over and over again makes me want to hit myself in the head with a hammer if i'm on the road for a while. You know what? I agree, move on. No need for another analogy.
Absolutely right.  That's why I like Mike and Mike or Van Pelt and rusillo, because they balance each other and have good debates.  Cowherd states his opinion and thinks he's always right since there is no other host to disagree with him.  He's  kind of like Jim rome but not nearly as bad or egotistical. 

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: thirtythree on March 26, 2010, 03:59:13 pm

But that's what makes him a pompous ass. He misconstrues his opinion as fact. Or moreover, he thinks his opinion is sports nation's opinion. He otta be a representative.

jep_hog_fan

I'd love to see the majority of the 1 2 and 3 seeds go early. As far as a duke or KINtucky in finals, I ain't a watching anyways since my hogs ain't there.

Hoggies

jbcarol

Claims that if you are not at least a 4-seed you have know chance.

Forgets that especially this year The Committee was not very good at assigning the seeds.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

NWASooner

He's right insofar as ratings are concerned.  A Final Four of West Virginia, Butler, Baylor, and Tennessee would have the worst ratings in Final Four history.

Hoggies

Quote from: NWASooner on March 27, 2010, 07:47:37 pm
He's right insofar as ratings are concerned.  A Final Four of West Virginia, Butler, Baylor, and Tennessee would have the worst ratings in Final Four history.

Ratings?! We talkin' bout Ratings?! lol

RedSatinHog

Quote from: NWASooner on March 27, 2010, 07:47:37 pm

Yeah, but Cowherd is only about ratings and how much revenues an event will bring in or is missing out on until it's the Steinbrenners throwing around money on every available baseball free agent to come to the Yankees, then no cost is too high.

He is also a HUGE Michigan honk, no matter how much he tries to convince everyone in the country that he's a west coast guy.

I love listening to his show, but that those are a few of the things that irk me about him.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Another myth busted.  The ratings for the Butler game Saturday were the highest in 5 years.  My guess is they will be high again tomorrow night.

Excitement, great story line, great ratings.  Go Butler.

Cowherd is entitled to his opinion.  The facts, however, do not bear him out.

linze82

Quote from: 79010 on April 04, 2010, 05:27:39 pm
    Another myth busted.  The ratings for the Butler game Saturday were the highest in 5 years.  My guess is they will be high again tomorrow night.

Excitement, great story line, great ratings.  Go Butler.

Cowherd is entitled to his opinion.  The facts, however, do not bear him out.

You gotta link for that info?
smite me bishes

Beaverfever

I listen to cowherd, but not because I don't think he's an arrogant ass. 

dagnamit

Quote from: SupaCrawf on March 26, 2010, 04:22:18 pm
Speaking in generalities here.  Would you like to watch an NC featuring 2 mid-majors?  Or, would you prefer 2 #1 seeds? 
I want to watch the 2 teams who won their way to the championship game --- unlike football where they tell you who is going to play in the championship game and then force feed you their bull dong about the winner of the game is the National Champion.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: devilpimpdaddy on April 05, 2010, 02:25:27 am
I want to watch the 2 teams who won their way to the championship game --- unlike football where they tell you who is going to play in the championship game and then force feed you their bull dong about the winner of the game is the National Champion.

Who has unrightfully won the football national championship?

By the way:  GO DUKE!
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

SupaCrawf

Quote from: devilpimpdaddy on April 05, 2010, 02:25:27 am
Are you really excited for tonight's game?  Honestly?  It's a snoozer.
I'm kind of a big deal.

hogsanity

Quote from: SupaCrawf on April 05, 2010, 09:12:12 am
Are you really excited for tonight's game?  Honestly?  It's a snoozer.

And that is Cowherds point to begin with.  You know CBS was just praying Butler would in, at least the have the "cinderella" angle.  Imagine if it was Duke/MSU.  Talk about a snoozer.  At least with Butler, casual fans are more apt to watch.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE