Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our Defensive class, & what's to come

Started by Clint Alan, December 11, 2009, 10:23:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Clint Alan

Listed below, are defensive players we already have committed in this class.

LB: Chris Smith
DT: Jeremiah Jackson
Ath: Brad Hefley
DT: LaCraig Brown
Saf: Darrell Smith
LB: Courtney Gaston
Ath: Eric Bennett

Seeing that half of our class is already made up of defensive players, 3 of which are probably at DE/DT, how many more and who would you like to see Arkansas take?

DT: Byran Jones
DT: Calvin Barnett
DT: Donald Langley
DT: Bobby Agoucha
DT: Foi Foi
DT: Calvin Smith
DE: Scott Smith
DE: Corey Lemonier
DL: Damon Williams
LB: Shaydon Akuna
LB: Tuu Lolohea
LB: Ralph Williams
LB/S: Danny Spond
Ath: Jeremy Deering
DB: Damian Payne
DB: Eddrick Loften

Just named a few, add your own if you have more of a wishlist.

"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

newera

December 11, 2009, 10:26:24 am #1 Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:28:15 am by newera
DT: Byran Jones
DT: Calvin Barnett
DE: Scott Smith
LB: Shaydon Akuna
Whomever BP wants for CB or Safety.

I haven't heard who we are on for CB and Safety, if we are still really on someone. but I figure Horton said we were taking 18-20 so we only have 5 spots left. I would be PUMPED to finished this way.
I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

Music City Hog

I think you can add these guys to the list as potentials:

DT Eric Humphreys
DT Delvin Jones
Ath  Brandon Denmark
DE Paul Crawford

Delvin Jones prob a long shot.  I also think Corey Lemonier has taken all 5 of his visits (at least accoridng to rivals) so I cant imagine him being a Hog without an official here.

SDZ_Hog

Eric Humphrey DT 4*
Scott Smith DE 4*
Byran Jones DT 4*
Shaydon Akuna 4*
Damian Payne CB 3*
Chris Hughes S 3*
Tuu Lolohea LB 3*
Dustin Elisara FB/LB 3*

Bubba's Bruisers

I'm confused...Is Brown still committed, because that would affect my picks?  Also, I didn't know Orr had decommitted yet.

I'll pick those I thing we have a legit shot with, as I don't see many on the list as really that legit for us.

DT  B. Jones
DT  E. Humphrey or D. Williams
DE  S. Smith
LB   J. Brown
CB  D. Payne
S    C. Hughes

Of course, I have no idea as to the true interest in these by BP.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Razorfox

I'd go for all defense; 1 big-time safety, 1 big-time linebacker, and 3 more DL. 

Then next year, we can go back to a much more balanced approach to recruiting of both the offense and defense. 

beansandtaters

DT 2 of B. Jones/D. Williams/E. Humphrey/D. Langley
DE S. Smith
LB 1 of Akuna/J. Brown/B. Denmark/K. Nelson
DB 2 of D. Payne/C. Hughes/D. Davis
WR M. Lucas...this one's gonna happen...i can just feel it.

Oklahawg

That list will probably get a bit bigger for the next week, or so, and then as players commit and fill slots the list will shrink, quickly.

Last year we finally turned away Boo Williams younger brother because we ran out of spots and had bigger fish on the line. The same will happen this year.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Rub, small clerical point:

Are you suggesting Brown is now likely to recommit and Orr is out? Or, do you have your soft commits confused?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The Hogfather

I really want Chris Hughes, Akuna, and Ralph Williams.

The real Hogules

Quote from: beansandtaters on December 11, 2009, 10:57:45 am
DT 2 of B. Jones/D. Williams/E. Humphrey/D. Langley/C. Barnett
DE S. Smith
LB 2 of Akuna/J. Brown/B. Denmark/K. Nelson
DB 1 of D. Payne/C. Hughes/D. Davis
WR M. Lucas...this one's gonna happen...i can just feel it.

Your wish list was similar to mine, so I just made a couple of adjustments
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Music City Hog

In a perfect world Id like:

WR Marcus Lucas
DT Byron Jones
DE Scott Smith
S Eddrick Loften
LB Shaydon Akuna (LB Ralph WIlliams close 2nd)
DT Calvin Barnett  (DT Eric Humphreys close 2nd)

Then let's call it a day!

Clint Alan

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 11, 2009, 11:05:51 am
Rub, small clerical point:

Are you suggesting Brown is now likely to recommit and Orr is out? Or, do you have your soft commits confused?

I'm just thinking ahead. This staff, if it has a big fish, is going to let some fish go that may just be nibbling at their bait.

If you catch my drift
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

Razorfox

Smith - DE
Jones - DT
Humphreys or Barnett - DT
Akuna or Brown - LB
Hughes or Loften - S

If we finish with something like that, I would be so pumped about the next few years. 

Ben Steiger

I really want that safety that committed to OU... Lofton

Plus:

Sprond
Ahkuna
Humphreys
Scott
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Hawgvillain

December 11, 2009, 11:31:43 am #15 Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:43:54 am by Hawgvillain
Quote from: Music City Hog on December 11, 2009, 11:14:10 am
In a perfect world Id like:

WR Marcus Lucas
DT Byron Jones
DE Scott Smith
S Eddrick Loften
LB Shaydon Akuna (LB Ralph WIlliams close 2nd)
DT Calvin Barnett  (DT Eric Humphreys close 2nd)

Then let's call it a day!
Honestly I think Humphery is better than Barnett - and I know I'd much rather have him.  Maybe something like this

DT - 4* - Byran Jones
DT - 4* - Eric Humphery
DE - 4* - Scott Smith
DE - 3* - LaCraig Brown
DE/LB - 3* - Brandon Denmark
LB - 4* - Danny Spond
CB - 3* - Damian Payne
S - ?? - Having trouble here - maybe Elisha Olabode

I'm also feeling like we hang on to Orr at this point.  I feel like this is a pretty realistic group given what we know...

improv

Quote from: rubmyHOG on December 11, 2009, 11:14:54 am
I'm just thinking ahead. This staff, if it has a big fish, is going to let some fish go that may just be nibbling at their bait.

If you catch my drift

this is what i have been thinking aswell.
The more you speak, the less people will listen.

Razorfox

Is there anyone that's already in the 15 committed that would be dropped by our staff if we got too many bigger guys wanting to come?  I know that's usually not a good thing for future classes, but could it happen?  Is there anyone committed now that we only took because we wanted to get them on board as insurance?

TX HOG

are the before mentioned the possible "big fish" or are the "big fish" others we haven't been discussing?

improv

Humphrey, Akuna, Smith, Denmark, Loften, Spond
The more you speak, the less people will listen.

1longshot

how many of the hawiia boys need to get scholarships to get them all to come and gain one at a later date?

Oklahawg

Quote from: Razorfox on December 11, 2009, 11:34:32 am
Is there anyone that's already in the 15 committed that would be dropped by our staff if we got too many bigger guys wanting to come?  I know that's usually not a good thing for future classes, but could it happen?  Is there anyone committed now that we only took because we wanted to get them on board as insurance?

That's a tough and sensitive topic.

On one hand I believe the staff providing benchmarks for achievements on the field, in the weight room and in the classroom. If a player fails to meet the benchmarks you can lose your offer.

On the other hand, so many of our commits were offered quite early, and I can't believe that our earliest offers were anything but "no brainers" in terms of these issues.

I think a bigger issue is
a) if a player "committed" yet his offer was contingent on something (ie, another player NOT committing); or,
b) players with lots of interest who are uncommitted being dropped due to better players now showing lots of interest.

Oh, final thought. I think a lot of these guys we are just now hearing about have been on the UA radar for a while. The staff's professionalism has kept the names from leaking inside the BAC. Because we are recruiting nationally a lot more we don't necessarily have the contacts to find out about the mutual interest.

want2be

Do we have 5 mid term spots open ?....I think Smith and Langley will be a couple of them.....who else might be able to come in early for spring practice ?

athunt

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 11, 2009, 01:18:53 pm

Oh, final thought. I think a lot of these guys we are just now hearing about have been on the UA radar for a while. The staff's professionalism has kept the names from leaking inside the BAC. Because we are recruiting nationally a lot more we don't necessarily have the contacts to find out about the mutual interest.
I think it is a good sign that a good amount of these kids are highly interested in the U of A but have yet to receive an offer. Says alot about this staffs ability to recruit.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

Lake City Hog

I would like to get one of the Juco DT's (Langley)and at least 1 more HS DT(Jones), at LB probably Ralph Williams and at safety Hughes or Payne. If we have room for 1 more I would say try to find another impact linebacker.

Rockhawg

I think we take 6 and maybe 7 more recruits.
My wish list i think is possible.
1) DE - Scott Smith - 6'7  265  4.79
2) LB - Brandon Denmark - 6'4  220  4.42
3) DT - Byran Jones  - 6'3  320  4.9
4) OL - Damien Robinson  -  6'7  330
5) DL - Damon Williams  -  6'4  300
6) CB - Damian Payne  -  6'0  180  4.41
7) LB - Danny Spond  -  6'3  220  4.6

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Rockhawg on December 13, 2009, 05:45:13 pm
I think we take 6 and maybe 7 more recruits.
My wish list i think is possible.
1) DE - Scott Smith - 6'7  265  4.79
2) LB - Brandon Denmark - 6'4  220  4.42
3) DT - Byran Jones  - 6'3  320  4.9
4) OL - Damien Robinson  -  6'7  330
5) DL - Damon Williams  -  6'4  300
6) CB - Damian Payne  -  6'0  180  4.41
7) LB - Danny Spond  -  6'3  220  4.6

Can any of these play safety, because we're definitely going to need another one of those too.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Rockhawg

CBP told Denmark he would get a look at Safety, LB, WR and DE.
We have a verbal from Darrell Smith 6'2 185 4.40 at Safety also.
My hope is that an extra month of Bowl practice and Spring practice
will do wonders for our entire Secondary.
Another thing that would help out our secondary is if Bequette could
get more consistant with his pass rush. He is so close to being an All SEC
DE. Our young D line could be pretty dang good next year.

Oklahawg

"Tea leaves" time.

We get Denmark (S/LB) and Payne (CB).

We get BJones (DT).

We get Lucas or Humphrey (WR/ATH).

We get either Damon Williams or Eric Humphrey (DT) (out-recruit OU for one of the two).

We will sign one more offensive player of impact proportion. Not sure whom, yet, but not likely both of the players mentioned above. I'd love to flip Shun Coleman!

If DJ or Mallett go to the NFL we'll pursue an impact replacement but won't panic if we don't.

I go with RubMyHog - we get one of Orr or LaCraig Brown. I don't think we get both.

I also think we get one additional defensive player of note/impact. Might be Smith (JUCO DE). Might be a flip of D'onta Davis (CB, committed to Miami). Might be a flip of Delvin Jones (DE, committed to Tennessee). Might be already listed above.

This means we are "losing" 3-4 current players before next fall. Look for at least one medical hardship (quit football, stay on scholarship, all due to injury) and a couple who leave looking for playing time at a smaller school.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 14, 2009, 10:23:06 am
"Tea leaves" time.

We get Denmark (S/LB) and Payne (CB).

We get BJones (DT).

We get Lucas or Humphrey (WR/ATH).

We get either Damon Williams or Eric Humphrey (DT) (out-recruit OU for one of the two).

We will sign one more offensive player of impact proportion. Not sure whom, yet, but not likely both of the players mentioned above. I'd love to flip Shun Coleman!

If DJ or Mallett go to the NFL we'll pursue an impact replacement but won't panic if we don't.

I go with RubMyHog - we get one of Orr or LaCraig Brown. I don't think we get both.

I also think we get one additional defensive player of note/impact. Might be Smith (JUCO DE). Might be a flip of D'onta Davis (CB, committed to Miami). Might be a flip of Delvin Jones (DE, committed to Tennessee). Might be already listed above.

This means we are "losing" 3-4 current players before next fall. Look for at least one medical hardship (quit football, stay on scholarship, all due to injury) and a couple who leave looking for playing time at a smaller school.

Do we actually have a real shot at Delvin Jones?  Also, is there anymore info on Aleon Calhoun?

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 14, 2009, 10:52:59 am
Do we actually have a real shot at Delvin Jones?  Also, is there anymore info on Aleon Calhoun?

I do not think Delvin Jones is a likely flip. He is supposed to be visiting in January.  Here's why I think we've got a shot:

The big recruiting weekend last January finished up with 3 not getting offers, 2 having offers pulled at the end when the class filled up before the player decided, 1 silent commit flipped to another school right before signing day and the remaining dozen, or so, signed with UA.

I've not heard anything on Calhoun in a while.

I tossed Delvin Jones' name out to suggest we'll get a top recruit that most don't know is interested or visiting, but the visit will overwhelm them and we'll get the commit, probably a flipped commit.

If Calvin Barnett can't get into Okie State I look for him to be at Hargrave for a year with a two-team battle to resign him in 2011, OSU and Arkansas. He's a name that could fill that slot.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 14, 2009, 11:05:21 am
I do not think Delvin Jones is a likely flip. He is supposed to be visiting in January.  Here's why I think we've got a shot:

The big recruiting weekend last January finished up with 3 not getting offers, 2 having offers pulled at the end when the class filled up before the player decided, 1 silent commit flipped to another school right before signing day and the remaining dozen, or so, signed with UA.

I've not heard anything on Calhoun in a while.

I tossed Delvin Jones' name out to suggest we'll get a top recruit that most don't know is interested or visiting, but the visit will overwhelm them and we'll get the commit, probably a flipped commit.

If Calvin Barnett can't get into Okie State I look for him to be at Hargrave for a year with a two-team battle to resign him in 2011, OSU and Arkansas. He's a name that could fill that slot.

Thanks...I just really think Delvin is a huge longshot for us. 

One other question...

Who on your list do you feel really confident about besides Byran Jones?  I'd really love to get another DT like Williams or Humphrey.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 14, 2009, 11:31:21 am
Thanks...I just really think Delvin is a huge longshot for us. 

One other question...

Who on your list do you feel really confident about besides Byran Jones?  I'd really love to get another DT like Williams or Humphrey.

Jones, Denmark and Humphrey. I'm not so certain Humphrey wouldn't have committed already but we are waiting on Lucas and defense.