• 382,564 Topics
• 21,395 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Bo and Mike today announced that Butch Davis is interested in the job  (Read 10527 times)

Hog Bounty Hunter

and that he is seeking support.  I had heard this back in the summer but wasn't 100% sure it was true.  Evidently they have a source that knows for sure and has confirmed what we suspected.  Since we now know that we do have a great coach waiting and we now know that this coach has been seen with Gus, so I think it is saft to assume that Gus would be coming as well, isn't it time just to pull the plug? To let Nutt know he is done?

nwarazfan

Re: Bo and Mike today announced that Butch Davis is interested in the job
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 12:56:25 pm »

What exactly did Bo and Mike say?  I wasn't out of bed yet for the show this a.m. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jkstock04

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 12:57:38 pm »

What exactly did Bo and Mike say? I wasn't out of bed yet for the show this a.m.
They said they had heard from a very credible source that Davis was very much interested in the job and also that he was quietly "lobbying" for it.

I'M EMBARRASSED

• Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 01:00:53 pm »

What if Houston is courting Gus to coach with him, fearing that Butch may already be speaking with him?  What a tandem: Butch and "The Sundance Kid" Malzahn.

I think that Reggie Herring has the capability to have a great impact on Arkansas football.  Add in Butch Davis and sprinkle in Gus Malzahn's offensive genius in whatever capacity, and you have a fine football program.

CorningHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord"
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 01:02:11 pm »

See, I told you guys to mail those postcards to his house in Cleveland.  Dig that address out of the archives and let me see a return on my $8.00.

I know someone google earthed it and confirmed it was in a nice neighborhood. 

I think if Butch took a couple hundred thousand postcards and dropped them on Frank's desk he could say, there give me the job!

Just kidding........just kidding..........

Give him the job!  NOW!

junkyardhog

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 01:03:10 pm »

If bo is reporting rumors, the handwriting is on the wall.

Has he got his Butch kneepads embroidered yet?

JJHog

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 01:04:00 pm »

and that he is seeking support. I had heard this back in the summer but wasn't 100% sure it was true. Evidently they have a source that knows for sure and has confirmed what we suspected. Since we now know that we do have a great coach waiting and we now know that this coach has been seen with Gus, so I think it is saft to assume that Gus would be coming as well, isn't it time just to pull the plug? To let Nutt know he is done?

You can't pull the plug until after the season.

I'll believe al this talk when I see it. I don't see BD coming here.

Hardwork321

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 01:05:07 pm »

Not yet Nutt isn't gone yet

nwarazfan

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 01:06:22 pm »

I don't know that I see BD giving Malzahn total control of the offense.  I can see Malzahn as the qb coach and BD using his contacts to bring in a little more experienced coach from either college or maybe a qb coach from the NFL to be in charge of the offense for a couple of seasons.  Some coach who is not too far from head coach status and just needs a couple of years of top asst responsiblility. And promote GM in a couple of seasons and then he can go on to his head coaching gig somewhere shortly thereafter. 

Ark Blitz

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 01:06:51 pm »

Nutt should have been gone 2 or 3 yrs ago.

nwarazfan

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 01:12:04 pm »

That is very similar to what was said about Nolan.  How does how admin. keep allowing for these declines in our programs?

Hog Bounty Hunter

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 01:13:05 pm »

That is very similar to what was said about Nolan. How does how admin. keep allowing for these declines in our programs?

You're preaching to the choir brother, Broyles needs to be shown the way to the rest home.

Ark Blitz

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 01:15:33 pm »

I don't understand how Tenn can start making all of these changes close to the end of the season and the only change Nutt has made is a QB change.  We as Ark fans need to try to put more pressure on the program.  BC being 5 - 6 and getting to a poll game is not enough.

nwarazfan

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 01:15:34 pm »

That is very similar to what was said about Nolan. How does how admin. keep allowing for these declines in our programs?

You're preaching to the choir brother, Broyles needs to be shown the way to the rest home.

In JFB's defense, he wanted to fire Nolan in 2000 and we ended up winning the SECT and John White wouldn't let him.  White has as much to do with our decline as JFB.  It was his late 90's power play that stuck us with a lazy Nolan and HDN.

CorningHog

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 01:16:54 pm »

All I do know is that I hope that Butch Davis IS getting talked to and that his interest is real.  I expect that if this is happening on any level and that Butch is indeed interested, that you can forget a whole lot about how many wins is needed for Houston to keep his job.

The question then becomes WHEN does Butch take over and when is it publicly announced.

I would say you have a very likely scenario happening next week and that is the reason for the urgency by Houston Dale to head off the inevitable.

It will be inevitable if Butch wishes to have this job.

I became excited when Sterling Sharpe made the comment to Butch Davis on the NFL Network about "Don't take the Arkansas job Butch, you're getting too good at this analyst gig"!

Ark Blitz

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 01:18:10 pm »

If they fired Nolan for a decline in the program then Nutt should be gone also.  Tired of hearing excuses.  Enough is Enough!!  From the top of the program to the bottom the excuses have got to stop and to go out a get the job done.

nwarazfan

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 01:20:17 pm »

Don't know if we should do it next week.  I'd prefer we kept this under wraps until the end of the season.  Leak it to few HS coaches with key recruits and BD can talk to a few coaches about asst's jobs maybe in the next few weeks. But I think it would be bad PR to announce this before the end of the season.

nwarazfan

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 01:21:33 pm »

If they fired Nolan for a decline in the program then Nutt should be gone also. Tired of hearing excuses. Enough is Enough!! From the top of the program to the bottom the excuses have got to stop and to go out a get the job done.
Its being handled.  I had my doubts for awhile.  But HDN hung himself by not trying a switch at qb before this and only giving DMac 1 carry in the Vandy game.

HogDodging

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 01:24:28 pm »

I turned on that show this morning just as Bo was doing his screaming girl imitation about Nutt hiring an OC.  I listened for about 5 seconds and changed the channel. :puke:

CorningHog

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 01:31:23 pm »

Think about this:

You hire Butch Davis behind closed doors this week, it has been under negotiations for a while i would guess.

Then, after you see that the team is out of contention for a bowl game, which could be this week, you announce the impending moves that say, #1  Houston Nutt will finish out this football season and Butch Davis will become the new head coach at Arkansas.

You have to do this early, to give Butch the most time and head start in getting a staff together and the ability to begin his recruiting.

Now, I don't know how the NCAA views this and if Butch can begin recruiting after being hired, but whatever gives Arkansas the advantage in recruiting, you do it.  Mainly because the change won't be better if delayed and recruiting will be hurt.

News travels fast in this day and age and you can bet the other SEC schools will try and make any spins towards their favor while we wait.

Sooner the better.

Let Butch assemble his staff behind the scenes as Houston coaches his last 3 games, on the road to Ole Miss, at home in LR against Miss St, and then the after Thanksgiving LSU road game. 

Butch can tag along and give support to our team and players while also getting a first hand look at Ole Miss, Miss St and LSU.  This would help him in some fashion and he could even use the travel to assemble some interviews and bring coaches in around the team and facilities.  After this Saturday, there are no more games in Fayetteville this year.

The timing seems right to me, get it out in the open and begin using all of Butch's contacts in the media to play it up just like South Carolina did with Spurrier.

Interviews on ESPN news and lots of coverage so that we can get some exposure for Arkansas, the good kind!

junkyardhog

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 01:36:01 pm »

You guys are giving me some serious 'wood'.

Please let this be true!

nwarazfan

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 01:37:01 pm »

I don't think we would get the exposure you hope for if we fire Nutt well before season's end.  Remember, he has the reputation of doing more with less with some ill-informed national media.  These same morons will be critical of Ark for getting rid of Nutt who has a winning record here.  Too many of them believe that we should accept this mediocrity and keep Nutt.  I don't think all of the BD publicity would be as positive as you think.  Hold it off at least until LSU week.

Tim Brando asked Barnhardt about Nutt on the air Sat and he gave the two year pass line and that Nutt was safe for now.  I think national media would be surprised if we made a move next week.

HogDodging

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 01:48:11 pm »

I don't think we would get the exposure you hope for if we fire Nutt well before season's end.  Remember, he has the reputation of doing more with less with some ill-informed national media.  These same morons will be critical of Ark for getting rid of Nutt who has a winning record here.  Too many of them believe that we should accept this mediocrity and keep Nutt.  I don't think all of the BD publicity would be as positive as you think.  Hold it off at least until LSU week.

Tim Brando asked Barnhardt about Nutt on the air Sat and he gave the two year pass line and that Nutt was safe for now.  I think national media would be surprised if we made a move next week.

I don't think anybody's talking about not letting Nutt finish the year.  We need to "Zook" Nutt and let it be known he will be expected to finish out the year and be gone the day after the LSU game.

nwarazfan

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 01:51:13 pm »

This has to handled correctly.  We got enough bad PR after the Nolan debacle and JFB has a bad enough rep with coaches.  If it is done before season's end, it needs to be done right after another loss or some other grounds.  I'm not sure how JFB would spin it to the national and SEC media if he cans him after a win over SC or OM.

And I didn't say not let him finish the year.  That is almost a given even if it is done early. 

Red40

• Varsity
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2005, 01:51:54 pm »

I think it's only fair for another coach to be contacted and courted for the Razorback job, serves Nutt right for flirting with LSU.  I wonder how it feels to know that someone is breathing down his neck, just waiting for him to make his last screw up.  Ahhh.. the irony.

HawgWyld

• You're from Arkansas, too? Which street?
    • Nobles Law Firm
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2005, 01:59:52 pm »

I think it's only fair for another coach to be contacted and courted for the Razorback job, serves Nutt right for flirting with LSU. I wonder how it feels to know that someone is breathing down his neck, just waiting for him to make his last screw up. Ahhh.. the irony.

If Davis is really interested, is the administration even waiting for a last screw up? Maybe Boxcar needs some volunteers to help him pack and throw in some lunch money, even.

Red40

• Varsity
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 02:05:16 pm »

I think it's only fair for another coach to be contacted and courted for the Razorback job, serves Nutt right for flirting with LSU. I wonder how it feels to know that someone is breathing down his neck, just waiting for him to make his last screw up. Ahhh.. the irony.

If Davis is really interested, is the administration even waiting for a last screw up? Maybe Boxcar needs some volunteers to help him pack and throw in some lunch money, even.

so do you think it's a done deal?

HawgWyld

• Nobles Law Firm
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2005, 02:07:42 pm »

I can dream, can't I? However, what do I know? I wondered why on earth the university chose a coach who had only two good seasons at Murray State to brag about in the first place.

Red40

• Varsity
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2005, 02:12:37 pm »

I can dream, can't I? However, what do I know? I wondered why on earth the university chose a coach who had only two good seasons at Murray State to brag about in the first place.

Good point.  But remember how everything seemed so fresh, when they announced that Ford was gone.  Everyone was so optimistic, and for good reason.  I think it needs to happen again, especially with Mitch coming in, I think it would just open up everyones jaded eyes(mine included)

DevilHog

• Varsity
  • BP edited
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2005, 02:13:30 pm »

I have posted on here before that Butch IS interested in the job. The last I heard was that the ones he had lobbing for him were told by Frank that he was not interested in making a change. I know that by now he could have changed his mind and started some sort of dialog with this person, but last I heard he had not.

hogslobber

• Varsity
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2005, 02:23:17 pm »

Have a good friend here in NWA.

His son and Butch's son play in jr.golf tournaments.

My friend and Butch spent some time talking on the course during one of the events.

Butch made it very clear that he wanted the job and had a staff ready to hit the ground that day.

This was about 2 months ago.

HawgWyld

• Nobles Law Firm
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2005, 02:23:59 pm »

Good point. But remember how everything seemed so fresh, when they announced that Ford was gone. Everyone was so optimistic, and for good reason. I think it needs to happen again, especially with Mitch coming in, I think it would just open up everyones jaded eyes(mine included)

Same here! I remember going to see the season opener against SMU in 1996 and swearing to never attend a Razorback game again. Yes, it was great when he left. However, this season feels a heck of a lot like 1997 -- time for a change.

SultanofSwine

• WoooPigSoooie!!!
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2005, 02:25:20 pm »

I tend to disagree with the bad press comment, I think it would be just the opposite and would be viewed nationally as a move to get the program back to where it belongs. Nevermind the hairlipping it would give both of the orange schools to either side of us, hell that's just gravy.

Nutt_Hate_Me

• Varsity
  • Great Pass Mitch! Call the next play Gus
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2005, 02:25:22 pm »

Why not do a Pickem and everybody can choose what they think will happen.  Part of the Pickem can be the Hogs Final Record, the other part can be coaching scenarios.

1.  HDN fired before the end of Season, BD Hired
2.  HDN fired at the end of Season, BD Hired
3.  HDN Finds Another Job, BD Hired
4.  HDN Stays
5.  Bo emerges from HDN's rectum and sees his shadow, six more years of HDN.

Make up some more scenarios, sprinkle some Gus Malzahn in there.  The pickem would be better than a poll because everyone's choice will be recorded and then the winners can gloat, and isn't gloating what it's all about.

Adam Stokes

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2005, 02:46:48 pm »

When is national signing day for football?  If Mustain is really as commited to Nutt as some on this board say, should we wait until after Mustain signs his LOI before we can Nutt?  Just to be on the safe side?

Bomis Hawg

• Knile Davis Beast Mode
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2005, 02:50:02 pm »

First Wednesday in Feb?  Or second?  Not sure if you would want to wait until then.  You still have critical moves to make in recruiting.

I think, if you can get him early, make the move.  If not, you might would want to wait.  I say the biggest question is assistants.  You have to make the right moves there, if you are Butch Davis.  And, I'm not sure how many head coaches will grant some talks during bowl prep.  Sure most will, but some might not.

bigred7987

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2005, 02:57:51 pm »

If Nutt is fired right after season that leaves PLENTY of time for recruiting....alot of recruits aren't even taking visits until December.  Most recruits know that we are young and if they see a National title coach like BD in here then that will def spark late interest. 

Adam Stokes

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2005, 03:13:08 pm »

That's true, but you also don't want to join a club in turmoil.  I do think that BD could swing some late recruits nonetheless.

e_dub

• Senior
  • Japanese food
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2005, 03:18:11 pm »

Who heard this? I don't see anything about it on all the other boards.

Buck Ocean

• Hogvillian
  • Contraband Coordinator
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2005, 03:27:36 pm »

You're preaching to the choir brother

I'm a tenor.....Hoggy, your a beartone.

kremlinhog

• Senior
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2005, 03:35:51 pm »

nutt hate me that was a classic about the shadow

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2005, 04:07:29 pm »

and that he is seeking support. I had heard this back in the summer but wasn't 100% sure it was true. Evidently they have a source that knows for sure and has confirmed what we suspected. Since we now know that we do have a great coach waiting and we now know that this coach has been seen with Gus, so I think it is saft to assume that Gus would be coming as well, isn't it time just to pull the plug? To let Nutt know he is done?

FOr once I AGREE with you.  FIre HDN right now if thats whats going to happen.  Hire BD so he can start recruting.  He would have another 27 days of recruting and lining up assistants.  That does not sound like much, but it could mean one or 2 more quality players. 

dirty stanchez

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2005, 04:08:44 pm »

Have patience.

We've put up with Nutt for eight years, surely we can wait a few weeks for him to be darn canned.

e_dub

• Senior
  • Japanese food
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2005, 04:20:15 pm »

I'm not getting excited about any freakin rumors  :puke:

JDHogg

• Senior
  • Jeff Cato-anonymous no more!
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2005, 04:30:43 pm »

I heard it....numerous times.  They made almost an hour of discussion about it.  Mike wouldn't bring it up if he didn't feel good about it's source.  They simply said that Butch was interested and he was lobbying for it.  Nothing else was implied by them, but some callers.....well..........that's different.

e_dub

• Senior
  • Japanese food
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2005, 04:36:10 pm »

I heard it....numerous times. They made almost an hour of discussion about it. Mike wouldn't bring it up if he didn't feel good about it's source. They simply said that Butch was interested and he was lobbying for it. Nothing else was implied by them, but some callers.....well..........that's different.

Sweet, it must be ok to go ahead and get a hardon about this then.  Happy jerking!

rathog1

• Varsity
  • I also have Snake Oil!!!!
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2005, 04:38:08 pm »

This whole soap opera reminds me of the end of the movie The Perfect Storm.

We're in the storm facing death, we can see out, it's right in front of us. All we have to do is reach out but the powers that be (Lindsey, Broyles) keep pulling us back in.

Razorback Jedi

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2005, 04:57:54 pm »

I'm not getting excited about any freakin rumors :puke:

That's all these are: rumors.

Thehammer

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2005, 05:18:36 pm »

I've seen nothing in this threat that really means anything.  While I have no problem believing Butch wants to coach at UA (to the contrary--  the fact that he has remained in NW Arkansas for over a year and his rapport with Don Tyson has made me positive that Butch harbors an interest in coaching at his alma mater.)

That's not the problem. 

This IS the problem:  Butch Davis and Houston Nutt cannot both be head coaches at UA.   Right now, Nutt is the head coach.  The AD is having his arm wrenched behind his back by a guy named Lindsey (whom the AD is indebted to) to make sure that Nutt remains as head coach thru NEXT SEASON.   Possibly longer.   After 2007, depending on how Nutt finishes -  he may or may not still be the head coach. 

Butch is not likely to wait around yet another year for a coaching opportunity.   It's nothing to get excited about IMO. 

For Butch to be hired --  Nutt has to go.  It's not going to happen.  At least not thru next year.

forrest city joe

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2005, 05:20:16 pm »

Rick  just  said  on  DTS  that  nutt  will be  back  next  year  no matter  what. so  it looks  like  hawg  fans  are  stuck  with  nutt  again. Lord  knows  i  wish  we  would  cut  our  losses  now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas