• 389,043 Topics
• 22,021 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Explain this obsession with Butch Davis.  (Read 5782 times)

hog caller

Re: Explain this obsession with Butch Davis.
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2005, 01:44:25 pm »

THE RED SHIRT ID OFF OF c. dICK HOW IS THAT GOING TO AFFECT THE GAME SATURDAY.
DON'T CARE IF I GET SMART AZZ REMARKS. I'M FED UP TOO.

geoffhog

• Senior
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2005, 01:44:31 pm »

Biggus, I have started 2 threads in the last several weeks. This one and the one that got moved. The one before this was two and a half weeks ago and it was about Kodi Burns. Before that, I can't remember the last one. Perhaps your thinking of someone else, I don't know, but I rarely start threads.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2005, 01:48:38 pm »

THE RED SHIRT ID OFF OF c. dICK HOW IS THAT GOING TO AFFECT THE GAME SATURDAY.
DON'T CARE IF I GET SMART AZZ REMARKS. I'M FED UP TOO.

My guess is, IF and I say IF, Sc can stop our run, we might actually be able to throw something other than a role right dump to Hillis and hope he runs 10 yards.  Now, i dont think SC can stop our run, so it might be a moot point.

They are not going to ask Casey to throw 30+ passes, probably not even 20+.  But, he may be able to actually drop back and use th whole field, but the line has to give him more than 2 seconds.

geoffhog

• Senior
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2005, 01:49:26 pm »

Of course BiggusPiggus moves it within minutes. He said we've discussed the subject too much already. What a joke. Very little negative has been said on here about Davis. However, Practically every post is bashing Nutt and is welcome with open arms. You, BiggusPiggus are a hypocrite. Its ok to say anything you want as often as you want in every way possible as long as its what you want to hear. Post anything you don't like and its moved for some BS reason. I don't know if this story is important and I'm sure it won't change anybody's mind, but its a different viewpoint and I thought that's what message boards are for.
http://www.sptimes.com/News/013101/Columns/Shame__Butch_you_had_.shtml

You have only been posting on here for about 38 days and you think you know what has been discussed about Davis and that Biggus is a hypocrite?
Does your computer show how long I've been reading the messege boards here? I've been logging on since last spring and reading posts. I didn't join until recently because I just got a computer.

geoffhog

• Senior
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2005, 01:55:16 pm »

I'd like to apologize to Biggus for calling him a hypocrite. I got quite irritated when my post was moved and overreacted. I don't think there was any reason to move it, but its not really that big of a deal. I can't criticize the haters for calling names if I'm gonna do it to.

Cajun Hog

• Global Moderator
  • All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2005, 02:07:32 pm »

Put all the B S stats aside and let's cut to the chase. In my 50 years of following the program we took a wrong turn twice that I am sure of. When we hired Hatfield instead of Johnson. Some will argue about this one but the one fact remains that Hatfield left the program in much worse shape than he received it in and we still have not recovered. Then we hired Nutt when we could have had Tubby and no matter how you want to spin it we missed the boat on that one too. Now here it is 2005 and Davis is looking at getting back into coaching Yeah some of you will say that he wants something better than what Ark has to offer. Well let me put it this way. When a lot of you people were saying Mustain was looking for something better than what Ark had to offer I told you that he had grown up dreaming of leading Ark back to the promiseland since he was 10 years old or so. What I am saying now is that yes even mature adults remember dreams they have had as kids and sometimes wonder is it to late. Believe me when I say that if the opportunity presents itself for Butch to come not only will the dream influence him but looking at Monk, McFadden, Jones and Mustain and others he will positively drool when considering it. I could say more but that should suffice. Point is we have missed the boat to many times in the past and we can not afford to do it again. Life is to short to miss out on the few opportunities you are given. We don't want to miss this last boat!!! P S If this doesn't put this five page post to bed then nothing will.
BINGO----WE HAVE A WINNER....I agree with every point, and THIS is the reason that Butch will be the coach next year [Jimmy Johnson had the same dream, and if JFB was fired I`d bet that JJ would come out of retirement to fulfill his dream]. We missed our chance twice already, WE CAN NOT MISS THIS ONE. If JFB lets this chance slip away he should be R-U-N-D O-F-T.

That would be great to get a new coach but JL gave his word to HDN and it's going to take hurricane or tonado to change it.  Were stuck with HDN.

e_dub

• Senior
  • Japanese food
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2005, 02:10:20 pm »

Put all the B S stats aside and let's cut to the chase. In my 50 years of following the program we took a wrong turn twice that I am sure of. When we hired Hatfield instead of Johnson. Some will argue about this one but the one fact remains that Hatfield left the program in much worse shape than he received it in and we still have not recovered. Then we hired Nutt when we could have had Tubby and no matter how you want to spin it we missed the boat on that one too. Now here it is 2005 and Davis is looking at getting back into coaching Yeah some of you will say that he wants something better than what Ark has to offer. Well let me put it this way. When a lot of you people were saying Mustain was looking for something better than what Ark had to offer I told you that he had grown up dreaming of leading Ark back to the promiseland since he was 10 years old or so. What I am saying now is that yes even mature adults remember dreams they have had as kids and sometimes wonder is it to late. Believe me when I say that if the opportunity presents itself for Butch to come not only will the dream influence him but looking at Monk, McFadden, Jones and Mustain and others he will positively drool when considering it. I could say more but that should suffice. Point is we have missed the boat to many times in the past and we can not afford to do it again. Life is to short to miss out on the few opportunities you are given. We don't want to miss this last boat!!! P S If this doesn't put this five page post to bed then nothing will.
BINGO----WE HAVE A WINNER....I agree with every point, and THIS is the reason that Butch will be the coach next year [Jimmy Johnson had the same dream, and if JFB was fired I`d bet that JJ would come out of retirement to fulfill his dream]. We missed our chance twice already, WE CAN NOT MISS THIS ONE. If JFB lets this chance slip away he should be R-U-N-D O-F-T.

That would be great to get a new coach but JL gave his word to HDN and it's going to take hurricane or tonado to change it. Were stuck with HDN.

A heartattack could change it, also.

merccedes

• Senior
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2005, 02:11:16 pm »

So if Butch does come here does that make Gus the OC and Herring remain as the DC?

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2005, 02:21:13 pm »

So if Butch does come here does that make Gus the OC and Herring remain as the DC?

Of course.  Because Butch Davis, former NFL and Miami Hurricanes HC would not be able to find any OC that is better than Gus, who has never coached one down of college ball at any level.

Flatline

• FEAR THE HOG!!!!
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2005, 02:25:53 pm »

This is why people want him.

There are several people out there that think that Butch Davis is not the answer for Arkansas.  We need a name a person that the nation knows.  We are a team with out any respect for identity right now.  If Nutt gets fired and Davis is hired it will be national news and it will get recruits attention.  Here is a little Butch Davis.........

Of the last five men to coach the Miami Hurricanes, current Cleveland Browns coach Butch Davis is the only one not to finish No. 1. But it was Davis who laid the groundwork under the current 'Canes and lifted the program from the dregs of NCAA probation. 

He overcame the loss of 31 scholarships -- or "half the death penalty" as he called it -- and started the 34-game winning streak Miami carries into its national championship showdown with the Buckeyes in Friday's Fiesta Bowl.

"I think (Davis) has left a big imprint on us," said Miami quarterback Ken Dorsey, who is 38-1 as a starter. "I think you can see it through the style of players we have right now. As long as we've been here, no one's gone out and gotten arrested. That has a lot to do with the type of people coach Davis tried to bring in -- guys that aren't going to go out and cause trouble off the field."

Davis, the grandson of a sheriff, was hired to clean up what was perceived as an outlaw program under coaches Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson. They won three national titles between them, but saw that success tarnished by the team's bad-boy image.

Michael Irvin, a former Miami receiver, once said the 'Canes were top-ranked by "the AP, UPI and FBI." Notre Dame fans wore shirts to their games against Miami that read "Catholics vs. Convicts." When the 'Canes played Penn State for the national championship in the 1987 Fiesta Bowl, they got off the plane wearing battle fatigues and then stormed out of a banquet with the Nittany Lions after taking their cue from defensive lineman Jerome Brown.

"Did the Japanese sit down and eat with Pearl Harbor before they bombed them?" Brown said. The Miami crowd answered, "No." And Brown said, "Then let's go." And the entire team walked out.

The 'Canes continued to violate sensibilities and rules. A Sports Illustrated cover story titled "Why the University of Miami should drop football" ran in the spring of 1995. On Dec. 1 of Davis' first season, Miami was handed a three-year probation from the NCAA that included the aforementioned loss of scholarships and a one-year ban from the post-season.

Things bottomed out for Davis -- who had nothing to do with the violations -- when the 'Canes went 5-6 in 1997, their first losing season in 18 years.

"The toughest part," said Miami offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, the tight ends coach under Davis, "was that we had a situation where a lot of young kids were playing who weren't ready to play. Scholarships were down and, obviously, wins weren't coming. But we really came together as a coaching staff and program and I think it strengthened us going into this time."

Miami rebounded to go 9-3 in 1998 and then finished 9-4 in 1999 and 11-1 in 2000, his final year at the school when the 'Canes lost out for a BCS title game berth to Florida State, a team it had beaten.

Davis saw seven of his recruits from the 2000 team picked in the NFL draft, including four in the first round. Last year's championship squad delivered 11 draftees, five of them first-rounders. This year's squad will produce another bumper crop, especially if tailback Willis McGahee and wide receiver Andre Johnson opt to leave school early.

"Obviously, Butch had a huge impact on the program and what he did with recruiting," Chudzinski said. "Coming through the probation time, it was a tough time to be here but it was an amazing time because you find out what kind of people you are made of.

"You see a guy like (then-offensive coordinator) Larry Coker getting a lot of abuse, a lot of heat, and people were calling for his head. To see how he reacted and the class he showed ... now you see those things coming out in him as (Miami's) head coach."

When Davis took the Browns job in 2001, the Miami post went to Coker, whom Davis had hired off John Cooper's OSU staff in 1995.

The transition was practically seamless in terms of winning with character and with class. Coker is 24-0, with a chance to oversee back-to-back national championships.

"Both guys are easy to approach," said guard Sherko Haji-Rasouli about Coker and his predecessor. "They are genuinely nice to players, the players' families, the high school coaches and the community. That's one reason guys have come to this school."

In terms of sideline demeanor, however, Coker more closely resembles subdued OSU coach Jim Tressel than Davis.

"Coach Davis was a little crazier, a little more aggressive," Haji-Rasouli said.

As the hot seat for Arkansas head coach Houston Nutt heated up after an embarrassing 28-24 loss to suddenly surging Vandy, Butch Davis' Touchdown Club speech in Little Rock seemed like perfect timing (or terrible timing, depending on your point of view).

The former University of Miami and Cleveland Browns head coach was ready to be quizzed about the Hogs' job, and artfully declined to express direct interest in job, while not ruling it out.

Davis' comments, per the AP:

"That's an unfair thing," Davis said. "Houston is a friend of mine."

"It's a great place," Davis said. "I've got family and friends - but it's a difficult thing. It's unfortunate that Houston's going through a tough time and I wish him the best and want him to win this weekend."

"Where I am right now, I'm keeping all my options open," he said.

Make no mistake...Butch Davis is THE #1 free agent head coaching candidate on the market this season, just as Spurrier was last year. Davis is flush with NFL buyout cash (at least $11 million), and can certainly afford to take his time to pick and choose the right opening in the college ranks.

Arkansas, where Davis played college football, has long seemed like a logical fit. However, Houston Nutt just got a brand new contract extension through 2011 (making a coaching change very expensive), signed a super-elite prep quarterback, and got a vote of confidence from AD Frank Broyles on the eve of the season opener (for what that's worth). However, nobody denies that the mere availability of Davis makes the hot seat hotter for Nutt.

Other schools that could vie for Davis' services--should vacancies occur at any of them--include:

Alabama
Mike Shula needs to win big games to keep the job, and Davis flirted with the Tide back when Mike DuBose was fired. Yesterday's humorous pot-shot at Bama won't endear him to the Crimson crowd, but probably wouldn't keep them from courting him again.

Miami
Is Larry Coker hearing hoofbeats in Coral Gables? If his tenure there ends soon (either by firing, retirement, or something in between), expect to hear clamor for a Davis encore engagement. After a less-than-stellar NFL stint, Mike Riley trekked back to Oregon State for a second round there, though Steve Spurrier did not seek to tread the waters again at Florida. Of course, Spurrier had already won a national title with the Gators, something Davis didn't get to do at UM.

Texas
Mack Brown's stock is rising these days--especially after the big win over Ohio State. However, considering all the hype and hopes surrounding the 2005 Longhorns, a collapse this season could seriously jeopardize Brown's future in Austin, considering the fanbase there that has long wondered whether he can lead national championship talent to a national championship. Butch Davis has long been mentioned a potential solid fit for UT, given his old Southwest Conference pedigree and successful tenure as a Dallas Cowboys assistant. The odds are slim on this one, but you never know.

UCLA
Could Karl Dorrell's days be numbered in Bruin-land? It's too early in the season to know for sure, but you can bet the Bruins could do worse than to give Davis a ring. Butch Davis has the NFL head coaching credibility (like Pete Carroll) to open doors and sell tickets in SoCal, has experience coaching at an urban university packed with pressure to win, and has experience coaching in a market where recruiting competition is fierce. UCLA, however, may be tempted to turn to another super-successful former 'Canes coach--Dennis Erickson--who has solid Pac 10 coaching experience (something that Davis lacks).

An unexpected retirement at either Florida State or Penn State could also pique the interest in and of Davis.

Davis had a record of success wherever he had landed. Following a college career at defensive end at Arkansas, and a brief career coaching high school teams, Davis started a 15-year association with Jimmy Johnson as an receivers and tight ends coach at Oklahoma State. Davis continued to work for Johnson at the University of Miami(where he coached the defense of the 1987 national championship team) and six seasons at Dallas (where he coached the defensive line and served as defensive coordinator for the Cowboys Super Bowl teams). At Dallas, Davis helped Johnson and new owner Jerry Jones construct a Super Bowl champion out of a team that went 1-15 in Johnson's first year. Davis also served as coach under Barry Switzer after Johnson left.

Davis got his first opportunity to serve as a head coach at the University of Miami, where again he helped lead a stunning turnaround. When he arrived, the Hurricanes program was in disarray, with 31 scholarship spots eliminated due to NCAA sanctions. Despite this, Davis managed to turn the program around, posting a 51-20 record during his tenure. By his last year, Davis had the Hurricanes contending for a national championship as they finished 11-1 and #2 in the country. The team Davis left behind soared to the national championship the succeeding year.

Theolesnort

• Global Moderator
  • Hogvilles own thread killa
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2005, 07:43:41 pm »

Geoffhog go back and read the post that you posted on the Davis criticism. What I see there is a writer fan crying in his beer because he has just lost his coach. He is venting and lashing out just like some of the LSU people were when they lost Saban. I did not put much stock in this vent of his it is just as I said he is crying inside.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas