• 382,442 Topics
• 21,386 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Explain this obsession with Butch Davis.  (Read 5371 times)

geoffhog

• Senior
Explain this obsession with Butch Davis.
« on: October 28, 2005, 02:11:57 pm »

He took 5 years to win at Miami and got ran out of Cleveland on a rail, but on Hogville, he is the second coming of Lombardi. Is it just because he isn't HDN or has there been something I've missed that would lead us to believe he could come in set the world on fire?

hoggystyle78

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Citizen of Mandrake Falls and Lifelong Hog fan
Re: Explain this obsession with Butch Davis.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 02:14:10 pm »

Holtz also got run out of NY(jets), boy he really sucked here as coach huh?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

dirty stanchez

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 02:18:30 pm »

He took 5 years to win at Miami and got ran out of Cleveland on a rail, but on Hogville, he is the second coming of Lombardi. Is it just because he isn't HDN or has there been something I've missed that would lead us to believe he could come in set the world on fire?

Miami lost over 30 scholarships and he turned them around.

Read this site --->

www.draftbutchdavis.com

Razorback Jedi

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 02:18:54 pm »

He is a coach and His name is not "Houston Nutt"

hoggystyle78

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 02:19:01 pm »

Really good point Cabot, boy he really sucks at USC boy I don't think I'd want to play them next yr if they didn't have a "retread" for a coach, I mean they might really lay the wood to us with a real coach! Oh yeah it's coming FIRE HDN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Pete Carrol got ran off too....

dirty stanchez

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 02:20:13 pm »

Butch is a proven winner in college coaching.

Houston Nutt is not and was not when we hired him to begin with.

nwarazfan

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 02:25:15 pm »

Obviously something you missed.  Go back and study and a little college football history and specifically Miami from the early 90s to when BD took over to the couple of years after he left and see what kind of job of rebuilding their program he did.

e_dub

• Senior
  • Japanese food
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 02:27:08 pm »

I think that pretty much sums this thread up. :D

hogbalz

• Senior
  • Thats a nice set of hooters.
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 02:28:57 pm »

He turned Miami into a contender somthing Nutt has no clue about.

PigMan

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 02:29:00 pm »

Someone turn the lights out please.  "Click"

geoffhog

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 02:31:35 pm »

I was asking a serious question. I'm not really sure why everyone on here has to be a smart ass when they reply. I was just curious what everyone saw in him. The info was helpful, the attitudes sucked.

TulsaHogFan

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 02:32:44 pm »

No attitudes were out of line.  We just have and seen all the evidence we need to see.  Check the record at Miami, Dallas, and then see what you think of him.  Hell Google the guy and see what reporters are saying.

geoffhog

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 02:37:38 pm »

I checked the record at Miami, He was 40-19 after 5 years. That why I asked the question. I didn't realize he had 30 schollies cut, my mistake. I always thought you asked questions to get answers.

nwarazfan

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 02:42:50 pm »

And they lost one game the two seasons after he left under the "Maintainer" Coker.  Also, look at the draft picks and see his talent eval ability.  I know, its not hard to recruit to Miami.  But the list is impressive: Portis, Gore, McGahee, Shockey, Sean Taylor...

hogbalz

• Senior
  • Thats a nice set of hooters.
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 02:43:27 pm »

Did not mean anything smart a@# about it , just stated the fact. I am still not covinced we get BD as bad as I wish we would.

ump

• Band Nerd
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 02:45:05 pm »

The following should be mandatory reading for everyone on this board.  Look into the mirror and see if this reminds you of anyone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=curry_bill&id=2205464

hoggystyle78

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 02:45:37 pm »

Sorry if I was a smartass geoffhog, I'm just fed up with all the excuses from the hill and from the huggers.
I was asking a serious question. I'm not really sure why everyone on here has to be a smart ass when they reply. I was just curious what everyone saw in him. The info was helpful, the attitudes sucked.

Feralhog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • BOOM! Snakeyes
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 02:54:20 pm »

For Arkansas to compete, it's vital that the kids we recruit are coached up.  We are never going to be overrun with 4 and 5 star players, so it’s vital our coaches do a damn good job evaluating players.  Since Davis left Miami, it could be argued that their talent level has dropped.  I've not done any research, but I'd be willing to bet that the number of 4 and 5 star recruits they currently sign is likely on par with the ratings that Butch brought in.  If the level of talent has indeed dropped at Miami, one could conclude that compared to Davis, the current regime isn't doing as good evaluating talent.  The question then becomes, can Davis do a good job evaluating the 3 star players as opposed to the 4 and 5 star recruits? 

geoffhog

• Senior
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 02:55:21 pm »

Its all good. It seems like things are so contentious on here...everyone (myself included) needs to keep in mind on Saturday's we're all on the same team.

FtheDarksiders

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 02:58:43 pm »

This has been argued a million times....and some of you still don't get it.  Miami and Arkansas is like comparing apples and oranges.  Miami is in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the US, while Arkansas produces 2 or 3 major D1 prospects.  Even in Miami's down years they could still bring in great athletes.  Comparing Nutt's record here and Butch's record there means nothing.  Larry Coker won a national championship there in his first year...do you think that was b/c of coaching??  And don't start saying, "Well Butch Davis recruited those players..."  b/c the University of Miami name is a recruiting tool in itself.  Put Nutt at that school, he would pull the same recruits, if not better, b/c that is one of his biggest strengths.  He can somehow convince a 18 yr old kid to leave his state and play for Arkansas..that in itself is a huge task.

Adam Stokes

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 02:59:56 pm »

Holtz also got run out of NY(jets), boy he really sucked here as coach huh?

"It's usually the crappy coaches that end up on ESPN because they can't coach," - summarized statement by Tommy T

hoggystyle78

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 03:01:30 pm »

Good point geoffhog!
Its all good. It seems like things are so contentious on here...everyone (myself included) needs to keep in mind on Saturday's we're all on the same team.

hoggystyle78

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 03:05:20 pm »

Yeah, Miami was a real powerhouse before Schnellenberger and Jommy Johnson got there, please in the 60s 70s and early 80s we would have spanked that ass so don't tell Miami recruits itself, if it did why don't they win the national championship every year? Iguess no one ever tells the canes no. Face Butch Davis is a big name, a name alot of these kids will listen to because he's coached in the league.
This has been argued a million times....and some of you still don't get it. Miami and Arkansas is like comparing apples and oranges. Miami is in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the US, while Arkansas produces 2 or 3 major D1 prospects. Even in Miami's down years they could still bring in great athletes. Comparing Nutt's record here and Butch's record there means nothing. Larry Coker won a national championship there in his first year...do you think that was b/c of coaching?? And don't start saying, "Well Butch Davis recruited those players..." b/c the University of Miami name is a recruiting tool in itself. Put Nutt at that school, he would pull the same recruits, if not better, b/c that is one of his biggest strengths. He can somehow convince a 18 yr old kid to leave his state and play for Arkansas..that in itself is a huge task.

Swino

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2005, 03:07:22 pm »

Butch Davis is a Dapper Dan man while Houston is clearly FOP material.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2005, 03:35:27 pm »

He took five years to win at Miami? what the hell do you mean? You mean it took him five years to finally win ALL BUT ONE GAME? If only Nutts could do that.

FtheDarksiders

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2005, 03:38:05 pm »

Yeah, Miami was a real powerhouse before Schnellenberger and Jommy Johnson got there, please in the 60s 70s and early 80s we would have spanked that ass so don't tell Miami recruits itself, if it did why don't they win the national championship every year? Iguess no one ever tells the canes no. Face Butch Davis is a big name, a name alot of these kids will listen to because he's coached in the league.
This has been argued a million times....and some of you still don't get it. Miami and Arkansas is like comparing apples and oranges. Miami is in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the US, while Arkansas produces 2 or 3 major D1 prospects. Even in Miami's down years they could still bring in great athletes. Comparing Nutt's record here and Butch's record there means nothing. Larry Coker won a national championship there in his first year...do you think that was b/c of coaching?? And don't start saying, "Well Butch Davis recruited those players..." b/c the University of Miami name is a recruiting tool in itself. Put Nutt at that school, he would pull the same recruits, if not better, b/c that is one of his biggest strengths. He can somehow convince a 18 yr old kid to leave his state and play for Arkansas..that in itself is a huge task.

You are kidding me right...???  You need to check your facts before you post and look like an idiot.  Miami's records in the early 80's:  1980  9-3, 1981  9-2, 1983  7-4, 1983  11-1 (national champs), 1984  8-5, 1985  10-2.  Yeah, they were real terrible durning that time. 

lumphog

• I love this picture
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2005, 03:51:38 pm »

Nutt couldn`t win the STATE championship, if he was coaching at Springdale, this year!!      MOVE OVER NUTT & LRT BUTCH ROLL IN

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2005, 03:54:02 pm »

THe obsession with Davis is that a actual bonfide NAME coach might consider coming here.  Thats why all the hoopla about him.  And face it, when was the last time a name guy ( and I mean a name guy at the time, so no TT stuff please 0 was interested in coming here?  Maybe Jimmy Johnson, but I have doubts as to whether he would have left Dallas after 1 year to come here. 

Dont think I am right, the ask those who want Davis or just want HDN gone, other than Butch lets have one NAME guy that is either publicly or privatly showing interst in this job.  Come on, you guys all have sources, lets hear the NAMES.

lumphog

• I love this picture
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2005, 03:54:21 pm »

DAMB I KANT SPALE--------------LET BUTCH ROLL IN

ShellHog

• Senior
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2005, 04:03:06 pm »

I believe Butch is the ONLY coach in last 25 yrs to not win National Championship at Miami.   

He took five years to win at Miami? what the hell do you mean? You mean it took him five years to finally win ALL BUT ONE GAME? If only Nutts could do that.

nwarazfan

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2005, 04:10:31 pm »

I believe Butch is the ONLY coach in last 25 yrs to not win National Championship at Miami.

You are correct.  He left the year before they won 23 straight before the phantom interference call cost them 2 straight Nat'l Ch.  Just like Ken Hatfield has no responsibility for that 3-8 team we had in 1990 that couldn't play within 4 TD's of most of the SWC.  Way to analyze things and see the correct answer.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 04:19:27 pm by nwarazfan »

ShellHog

• Senior
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2005, 04:21:04 pm »

Let me try to understand you Logic....IF Butch coaches 2006 or 2007 HOGS to 9-2/10-1 record, its all because of Houston Nutt's recruiting & coaching.......I'm guessing that is what you would love to see happen -- 9-2/10-1 under Butch Davis. 

You are correct. He left the year before they won 23 straight before the phantom interference call cost them 2 straight Nat'l Ch. Just like Ken Hatfield has no responsibility for that 3-8 team we had in 1990 that couldn't play within 4 TD's of most of the SWC. Way analyze things and see the correct answer.

PiggyBack

• That's the last straw....
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2005, 04:23:53 pm »

You forget "National Championship Under Construction."

mikeirwin

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2005, 04:27:26 pm »

He believes in hiring an offensive coordinator.

Razorback53

• Varsity
  • GO Hogs GO
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2005, 04:30:20 pm »

What makes yall think Butch Davis wants to come to Arkansas anyway ??? yeah maybe he lives here but that doesnt mean anything...plus he might have a chance to get back in the Nfl after this season for teams like...Vikings,Texans,Jets,or even the Bills...how things are going right now I dont see none of those coaches coming back next year....Why would he pass off an NFL job for a Collage Job....Im sorry to say this but Huston isnt going anywere I bet hes here about 3 more years...

PorcineSublime

• Global Moderator
  • Here we go!!
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2005, 04:37:07 pm »

The following should be mandatory reading for everyone on this board.  Look into the mirror and see if this reminds you of anyone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=curry_bill&id=2205464
Good read, and I think it would apply if he had been here four years instead of eight. Or at the very least he seemed to be going forward instead of backward. We have done some excellent recruiting in the last couple of years at RB and a few other spots, but we still do not recruit to our needs as well as we need to. I do not see this changing. If I did, I would be beside TulsaHawg and hogsanity in defending him. I just think he was brought in too early in his career or he maybe just doesn't have it a this level. Either way I wish him the best as a person, he just does not inspire me to see him as a successful coach a this level.

PiggyBack

• That's the last straw....
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2005, 05:04:45 pm »

I heard on Press Row this morning that HDN is putting signs up in the locker room.  Something like "Win in November And They Will Remember."  Is anyone else tired of the abundance of cheerleading and the lack of substance?  All icing no cake.

geoffhog

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2005, 05:05:42 pm »

He lost 4 games in his 5th year...thats what the hell I meant. 11-1 was in the sixth year. Whats confusing about that?

Hog Bounty Hunter

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2005, 05:09:57 pm »

No attitudes were out of line. We just have and seen all the evidence we need to see. Check the record at Miami, Dallas, and then see what you think of him. Hell Google the guy and see what reporters are saying.

I believe the attiude of the guy who started this thread also "sucked".

Hog Bounty Hunter

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2005, 05:11:13 pm »

You forgot the L.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2005, 05:11:48 pm »

He lost 4 games in his 5th year...thats what the hell I meant. 11-1 was in the sixth year. Whats confusing about that?

OK, let me unconfuse you. He lost four games in his fifth year and went 5-6 his third season because Miami was  hit with the worst sanctions since SMU and not given the death penalty. He had 31 total scholarships to give out over a three-year period. Unlike HDN, Butch had a real cloud to deal with. But, of course, it's so easy to walk out the door and recruit football players in Dade County ...
Butch went 9-3 his first two seasons. He left the cupboard completely filled for Larry Coker to win the national championship.
Have you ever met Butch and/or talked football with him? Same questions about Nutt, have you met him and/or talked football with him? You'd see a major difference between the two if you did and you wouldn't be asking the question what's the obsession with Butch Davis. The guy wants to have this job. He's good enough to do something with it.

WILL CLINTON

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2005, 06:10:36 pm »

I personally believe that butch davis could do what HDN hasn't been able to.  In 1998, supposedly one of the greatest talent laden classes in the past 15-20 years, he was 2 GAMES OVER .500.  He has never won more than 9 games with 3 of arguably the most talented classes in 20 yrs.  I personally believe that another coach would not have chioked in either of those 3 years like Nutt.   

Dances With Hogs

• Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2005, 06:41:28 pm »

Yea, he really is great on that top notch recruiting, he gets second and third tier kids when the other schools get the cream.My man the Nutt.

CorningHog

• "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord"
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2005, 07:05:59 pm »

You would see a complete turnaround on the field and a lot more excitement.  Butch Davis is a very well organized and intelligent football coach.  Watch that NFL show on Direct TV or Dish, NFL Playbook.  You would know thru his analysis that there is no comparison between the two.

I think they both have a strong committment to winning, except Butch has no illusions that an "ego" belongs anywhere near the offensive playbook or gameday.  Sometimes you can toot your own horn, but not so brash and brazen to the tune that you will not allow the playcalls to be determined by another coach on staff.  Oh, you will let them confuse you, bother you on the sidelines with suggestions and let the "group" come up with a gameplan, but on gameday, I have to run the show, until we call a timeout.

Butch Davis can and will turn this program around! 

Kodiak

• Hogvillian
  • Bruce Walker
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2005, 07:43:07 pm »

I was asking a serious question. I'm not really sure why everyone on here has to be a smart ass when they reply.
 The info was helpful, the attitudes sucked.

That just about captures it!

geoffhog

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2005, 12:52:39 am »

He took 5 years to win at Miami and got ran out of Cleveland on a rail, but on Hogville, he is the second coming of Lombardi. Is it just because he isn't HAN or has there been something I've missed that would lead us to believe he could come in set the world on fire?

He took five years to win at Miami? what the hell do you mean? You mean it took him five years to finally win ALL BUT ONE GAME? If only Nut ts could do that.
He lost 4 games in his 5Th year...that's what the hell I meant. 11-1 was in the sixth year. Whats confusing about that?

OK, let me unconfused you. He lost four games in his fifth year and went 5-6 his third season because Miami was  hit with the worst sanctions since SUM and not given the death penalty. He had 31 total scholarships to give out over a three-year period. Unlike HAN, Butch had a real cloud to deal with. But, of course, it's so easy to walk out the door and recruit football players in Dad County ...
Butch went 9-3 his first two seasons. He left the cupboard completely filled for Larry Cooker to win the national championship.
Have you ever met Butch and/or talked football with him? Same questions about Nutty, have you met him and/or talked football with him? You'd see a major difference between the two if you did and you wouldn't be asking the question what's the obsession with Butch Davis. The guy wants to have this job. He's good enough to do something with it.
Once again, Mr. Administrator. That's why i was asking the question. I have no problem with your answers...I'm not arguing with you...I wasn't knocking Davis...I have nothing against him. As far as I know he might be the second coming of Lombardi. I just hadn't seen anything that blew me away, but admittedly, I didn't know much about the guy. That's why I asked. I stated what my perception was and asking if there was something I wasn't seeing...Why does that offend you so much? Do you not like it that I ask questions instead of falling in line with rest of the board just because its the thing to do. If so, tell me now and I'll find another board. Otherwise back off.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 12:55:54 am by geoffhog »

geoffhog

• Senior
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2005, 01:07:34 am »

You would see a complete turnaround on the field and a lot more excitement. Butch Davis is a very well organized and intelligent football coach. Watch that NFL show on Direct TV or Dish, NFL Playbook. You would know thru his analysis that there is no comparison between the two.

I think they both have a strong committment to winning, except Butch has no illusions that an "ego" belongs anywhere near the offensive playbook or gameday. Sometimes you can toot your own horn, but not so brash and brazen to the tune that you will not allow the playcalls to be determined by another coach on staff. Oh, you will let them confuse you, bother you on the sidelines with suggestions and let the "group" come up with a gameplan, but on gameday, I have to run the show, until we call a timeout.

Butch Davis can and will turn this program around!
Thanks for a reasonable reply.

dirty stanchez

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2005, 01:19:43 am »

Have to say it...

This is post of the year material.

WindyCityHog

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2005, 01:44:37 am »

Easy....HDN.

Butch Davis CANNOT do any worse than HDN.  Time for a change.

dirty stanchez

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2005, 02:25:23 am »

Gus Malzahn as HC would not do any worse than HDN.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas